PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Everyone Focused on Bain Capital?

Cigar
07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Because it's Mitt Romney's stated qualification for the presidency.

The past 24 hours have been abysmal for the Romney campaign. Not only has it scrambled to deal with revelations regarding Mitt Romney’s “shadow years” at Bain Capital, but further digging has led to more serious questions—and accusations—about Romney’s conduct. Put another way, you know you’re in trouble when even a friendly piece—by Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler—has to tackle the question of whether Romney broke the law.

Naturally, this has prompted a vigorous response from the Romney campaign, in the form of an ad that accuses President Obama of lying for political gain. Given recent revelations, the timing of the ad was a little awkward, but that hasn’t stopped the Romney campaign from deploying it in a serious way. As Greg Sargent reports, the ad is currently running in multiple media markets in each of the major swing states: Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, and New Hampshire.

This push has two goals: first, to challenge President Obama trustworthy image—he maintains high favorability ratings—and second, to suggest there’s something illegitimate about the Obama team’s critique of Romney’s time at Bain Capital. The problem with this approach, of course, is that Romney insists we judge him on the basis of his accomplishments in the private sector. I took Romney’s victory speech for the Republican nomination—which he gave after winning primaries in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York—along with his four most recent speeches, and plugged them into a word cloud.

Massachusetts is nonexistent. Instead, we see references to “business”, “businesses,” and “enterprise.” According to Mitt Romney, it’s his time at Bain Capital that makes him qualified for the presidency. If that’s the case, then it’s only reasonable to ask questions about what came with the responsibility, and whether it’s appropriate experience for public office.

http://prospect.org/article/why-everyone-focused-bain-capital

gophangover
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
The pot(Romney) calling the kettle(Obama) black. Well that's what bigots do. For four years the cons have been telling lies about Obama not being born in Hawaii, and not being an American citizen, even after his birth certificate was produced. Also telling lies about Obama being a Muslim and a Marxist. Now Romney is accusing Obama of lying about Mitt's Bain record, but refuses to produce his tax records for those years which will prove it one way or another. The only logical conclusion is Mitt is lying and trying to hide it. The Romney camp will implode. It's really funny to see the cons try to defend this slime, just like they did with Tricky Dick. The scum of the cons will become very clear by November. BWAH HA HA HA HA!

coolwalker
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
The left has to find something on Romney, but the truth is there is nothing to find. Bain is a moot point.

patrickt
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Because the left is desperate to talk about something other than the fictional president.

Peter1469
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Bain is a non-issue. The hard left will simply bring it up over and over with the help of the MSM. When Obama losses in a Mondale landslide in November, their only response will be that America is racist.

Mainecoons
07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but one of the lynchpins of the MSM, the NYT, blew a big hole in it yesterday. Even they seem to have some limits as to how far they'll go to shill for Obama.

bladimz
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Well i wouldn't think that Bain was a huge issue if not for this curious item:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/romney-faces-mounting-attacks-on-bain-and-taxes/ (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/romney-faces-mounting-attacks-on-bain-and-taxes/)

As the Obama campaign continued to press Mr. Romney to release more years of his tax returns and be more transparent about his personal finances, his representatives said he had done everything to comply with the law by releasing his 2010 return and an estimate of his 2011 taxes.

Mr. Emanuel suggested that the undisclosed returns could hold only bad news about Mr. Romney’s finances, and might even have played a role in Senator John McCain’s decision to reject Mr. Romney as a running mate in 2008 and turn instead to Sarah Palin. Mr. Romney gave Mr. McCain’s team 23 years of returns.

“The Romney campaign isn’t stupid,” Mr. Emanuel said. “They have decided that it’s better to get attacked on a lack of transparency, lack of accountability to the American people, versus telling you what’s in those taxes.”Romney handed over 23 years worth to McCain. And now, he's not willing to give any more than 2 years worth. Is it because Bain wasn't an issue 4 years ago, but happens to be one now? It's a fair question, and one that can be answered if only he would simply provide his birth certificate... um, i mean a reasonable number of years worth of returns.

Mainecoons
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
He made money at Bain. Successful people do that and embittered failures hate them for it.

Which one are you?

bladimz
07-16-2012, 06:48 PM
He made money at Bain. Successful people do that and embittered failures hate them for it.

Which one are you?
Well, i was a successful businessman who worked and earned his money without causing pain and/or suffering to others. So i guess i don't fit either one of your b&w choices.

Oops! Looks like there's options that you conviently overlooked.

Peter1469
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Bain was an issue 4 years ago- it was just under the radar. Mitt knows that the MSM/rabid left, will use the next several months to nitpick and make up stuff about his tax returns. He should not play along.

And I am not a Mitt supporter. There is a decent chance that I won't vote for him because he is a Statist.

Captain Obvious
07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
The truth of the matter is because it's what the Obama reelection war chest is spending money on right now.

Individual consideration doesn't decide elections, campaign spending does.

bladimz
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
The truth of the matter is because it's what the Obama reelection war chest is spending money on right now.

Individual consideration doesn't decide elections, campaign spending does.
Yes. You only have to look at the Sheldon Adelson 's, um, monetary support of, initially, Gingrich and now $10M to Mitt with a promise for $100M more. Now if that isn't trying to buy an election, well... it's sure a good imitation. And then there's this:

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/16/inside_the_investigation_of_leading_republican_mon ey_man_sheldon_adelson_salpart/
This guy isn't new to the method of purchasing political punch for big personal gain. It looks like he may have overplayed his hand this time.

[Feds] Investigating leading GOP moneyman Sheldon Adelson
Now, some of the methods Adelson used in Macau to save his company and help build a personal fortune estimated at $25 billion have come under expanding scrutiny by federal and Nevada investigators, according to people familiar with both inquiries.

Internal email and company documents, disclosed here for the first time, show that Adelson instructed a top executive to pay about $700,000 in legal fees to Leonel Alves, a Macau legislator whose firm was serving as an outside counsel to Las Vegas Sands.

The company’s general counsel and an outside law firm warned that the arrangement could violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (thank you, Jimmy Carter). It is unknown whether Adelson was aware of these warnings. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act bars American companies from paying foreign officials to “affect or influence any act or decision” for business gain.

Federal investigators are looking at whether the payments violate the statute because of Alves’ government and political roles in Macau, people familiar with the inquiry said.

bladimz
07-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Bain was an issue 4 years ago- it was just under the radar. Mitt knows that the MSM/rabid left, will use the next several months to nitpick and make up stuff about his tax returns. He should not play along.

And I am not a Mitt supporter. There is a decent chance that I won't vote for him because he is a Statist.I thought that Obama should never have been goaded into releasing his long form b.c. It was pretty certain that no matter what, his b.c. would declared a fraud by the army of birthers. And they never disappoint.

wingrider
07-17-2012, 01:18 AM
the more they focus on bain the less they have to account for the failures of this administration.. its called detract, divide and conquer.. only people are starting to get pissed at all the distractions and why no one is talking about the economy and what can be done to fix it .

Mainecoons
07-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I thought that Obama should never have been goaded into releasing his long form b.c. It was pretty certain that no matter what, his b.c. would declared a fraud by the army of birthers. And they never disappoint.

Releasing an obviously doctored digital image is not the same as releasing the real thing. Review the difference between the McCain release of the real thing promptly back in 2008 and Obama's game playing for three and a half years so that you can ameliorate your great ignorance on the topic of scanned images (they have only one layer) versus layered composite creations.

While you're at it, explain for us that phony postage stamp on Obama Selective Service application and the why of his 16 year bio claiming Kenyan birth, only "corrected" when his handlers decided to run him for POTUS.

Avoid riding in boats with as many holes in them as Obama's story. You will get very wet if you do.

bladimz
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Releasing an obviously doctored digital image is not the same as releasing the real thing. Review the difference between the McCain release of the real thing promptly back in 2008 and Obama's game playing for three and a half years so that you can ameliorate your great ignorance on the topic of scanned images (they have only one layer) versus layered composite creations.

While you're at it, explain for us that phony postage stamp on Obama Selective Service application and the why of his 16 year bio claiming Kenyan birth, only "corrected" when his handlers decided to run him for POTUS.

Avoid riding in boats with as many holes in them as Obama's story. You will get very wet if you do.Wow! You should know something about graphics programs, scanning and layers before you try to "school" someone who does. Get a clue, sailor. What would satisfy you... a personal copy of the original doc hand-delivered to your door, i suppose. No... that wouldn't work for you either? Not surprised.

Don't want Romney to release his returns? Again, not surprised.

Phony stamp? Don't tell me you wackos have come up with another conspiracy theory... :facepalm:

bladimz
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
the more they focus on bain the less they have to account for the failures of this administration.. its called detract, divide and conquer.. only people are starting to get pissed at all the distractions and why no one is talking about the economy and what can be done to fix it .... not all people... :vrolijk_26:

Mainecoons
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow! You should know something about graphics programs, scanning and layers before you try to "school" someone who does.

Make your case or shut up. Your opinions are worthless. Let's see your expertise. Explain how a normal document scan produces (as I recall) 7 layers?

I am expert in PageMaker, CorelDraw and several CAD programs. I understand layers pretty well. Let's see just how expert you are.

Mainecoons
07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
BTW, Blad, do you have the balls to watch the press conference this afternoon when the details of the apparent BC forgery are supposedly going to be explained by document experts?

What I want is what McCain gave us. Real simple, real easy.

Trinnity
07-17-2012, 02:25 PM
BTW, Blad, do you have the balls to watch the press conference this afternoon when the details of the apparent BC forgery are supposedly going to be explained by document experts?
Where??? I wanna see that.

coolwalker
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I thought that Obama should never have been goaded into releasing his long form b.c. It was pretty certain that no matter what, his b.c. would declared a fraud by the army of birthers. And they never disappoint.

Being born in America is more than the soil of the country, it is what is in your heart and Obama's heart does not lay in America, but elsewhere. He could have been delivered on the steps of congress, and I would still say he is not an American.

Mainecoons
07-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Still waiting, Blad. Some real experts are going to be on in a couple hours detailing just why this "digital BC" is a fraud. Please watch and then come here and explain to us why they are wrong and you are right.

Three and a half years stonewalling this very reasonable request, trying to push one digital forgery after another, and to this day has failed to produce the real thing just as you or I would have to do to get a driver's license or play in Little League. And when reminded of this, all the ObamaApologists can come up with is this incredibly lame, "if he showed you the real thing, you wouldn't believe it."

Try me, idiot.

I know, folks, fat chance! :grin:

wingrider
07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
... not all people... :vrolijk_26:
re read my post... I never used the word "all"

Mainecoons
07-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Still waiting, Blad. While you're at it, you can explain those three boxes on the Obama "BC" that shouldn't have things in them but do.

Mainecoons
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
(Blad)Wow! You should know something about graphics programs, scanning and layers before you try to "school" someone who does.

Still waiting Blad. Third reminder. I've been patient because, afterall, now you have to explain all those filled in blank boxes.

Why am I getting the strong feeling this is just more of your bluster, Blad?