PDA

View Full Version : This City Quickly Saved $1 Million Dollars After Decriminalizing Marijuana

Captain Obvious
05-20-2015, 11:03 AM
In other news, police related deaths in Philadelphia triple in the past 2 weeks.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/19/this-city-quickly-saved-1-million-dollars-after-decriminalizing-marijuana/

Last year, Philadelphia decided to decriminalize marijuana, dropping the consequences to a simple fine for possession. That decision appears to have saved the city $1 million dollars over a very short period of time.
On October 20, 2014, legislation signed by Mayor Michael Nutter officially came into effect, making marijuana a civil violation.

Nutter stated that while he does not condone marijuana (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/10/02/philadelphia-decriminalizes-marijuana/) because of its status as a Schedule 1 drug, the punishment must be “proportionate to the crime.”

Councilman Jim Kenney, the sponsor of the bill, justified decriminalization through an appeal to reduced burdens on local enforcement, since it redirects police away (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/politics/Relaxed-Marijuana-Law-in-Effect-in-Philly-Monday-279703742.html) from cracking down on non-violent crimes and towards more serious problems in the community.

For possession under an ounce of marijuana, the fine ranges between $25 and $100 dollars. The other alternative is nine hours of community service.

In an op-ed for Philly.com, Chris Goldstein, co-chair of the Philadelphia chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, noted that the number of arrests has plummeted (http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/philly420/Philly420_Racial_disparities_persist_in_Phila_mari juana_arrests_.html?fhfhf) by 70 percent when looking at the period of January to March for 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Well...we kinda told ya'll so...
Does that mean they are upgrading AMTRAK?

Polecat
05-20-2015, 11:07 AM
The vice squad is not going to like the way things are shaping up.

zelmo1234
05-20-2015, 11:55 AM
I will wait to see if there are real savings. If it increases the use, then there will be a lot more people that get a case of the Fuck it's and forget to show up for work.

Ethereal
05-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I will wait to see if there are real savings. If it increases the use, then there will be a lot more people that get a case of the $#@! it's and forget to show up for work.

Why wouldn't there be savings from decreasing the amount of work that government employees must do? Less prisoners, less arrests, an additional source of tax revenue - seems pretty obvious there have been and will continue to be substantial savings.

As for your comment about increased usage and more people not showing up for work, what are you basing that on? Do you think marijuana prohibition stops a statistically significant amount of people from using marijuana? Or that people are incapable of responsibly ingesting marijuana?

Bo-4
05-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I didn't find the stat on police deaths. But if true, those potheads are certainly becoming violently aggressive. :)

Don
05-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Why wouldn't there be savings from decreasing the amount of work that government employees must do? Less prisoners, less arrests, an additional source of tax revenue - seems pretty obvious there have been and will continue to be substantial savings.

As for your comment about increased usage and more people not showing up for work, what are you basing that on? Do you think marijuana prohibition stops a statistically significant amount of people from using marijuana? Or that people are incapable of responsibly ingesting marijuana?

Colorado taxes at point of sale. Philadelphia fines taxes if you are caught. Colorado gets more money and no one has a misdemeanor or felony on their record. In Colorado you go to the store, in Philadelphia you go to a drug dealer.

Captain Obvious
05-20-2015, 02:55 PM
I didn't find the stat on police deaths. But if true, those potheads are certainly becoming violently aggressive. :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Polecat
05-20-2015, 02:59 PM
I will wait to see if there are real savings. If it increases the use, then there will be a lot more people that get a case of the Fuck it's and forget to show up for work.

Sometimes you seem like a really selfish person. All people are good for is making rent and clocking in on time.

Bob
05-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Well...we kinda told ya'll so...
Does that mean they are upgrading AMTRAK?

I read yesterday, I think it was, that the safety feature was already on those tracks but was not turned on.

I am not clear what that would do when it was the engineer that shoved the throttle open.

Bob
05-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Sometimes you seem like a really selfish person. All people are good for is making rent and clocking in on time.

No, he worked his ass off to get where he is. And he is very generous to his workers.

Bob
05-20-2015, 03:14 PM

Pot highs wear off very fast.

Still, getting high covers the weakness of personality and social skills. Not much in it to be blunt.

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 03:38 PM
The vice squad is not going to like the way things are shaping up.

The "vice" squad. It's like the thought police if you think about it.

Polecat
05-20-2015, 03:39 PM
The "vice" squad. It's like the thought police if you think about it.

The naughty squad.

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 03:40 PM
The naughty squad.

The "you don't believe in our morals so we're going to fuck you up the ass with a cattle prod" squad.