PDA

View Full Version : Why we need full disclosure laws

PattyHill
05-24-2015, 08:11 AM
This article is a good example why we need full disclosure laws (especially with Citizens' United decision). We need donors not to be able to hide behind ALEC.

We also need open meeting laws - the cases where a legislator can meet with lobbyists and not be observed should be few and far between, especially if it's a conference or convention. I know - the hotel is private property , if it doesn't want to allow reporters, it has a right. But the legislators shouldn't go to events where reporters are banned.

http://www.itakelibertywithmycoffee.com/2015/05/reporter-stumbles-across-alec-meeting-gets-kicked-out-of-hotel/

Months before the conference, my family booked a hotel room at the same resort as ALEC. At the hotel bar, I struck up a conversation with a state representative from New England. We later verified his identity as an ALEC state chairman. Sitting next to him at various times were three different self-identified lobbyists who also didn't mince words about why they were there and who was really paying for the event.

"We pay more to be here, so it helps support them," one lobbyist explained to me, not knowing I was an investigative reporter. She was referring to the state legislator between us, responding to his request for donations.

When I asked the state representative how he pays for a trip like this, he told me that ALEC picks up the hotel room and $350 in expenses directly. He has to come up with the rest, or tap into his ALEC state reimbursement fund. "This is where you would come in ma'am," he said, turning toward the lobbyist. "I'm the state chair of ALEC, and I look for financial supporters, lobbyists and the like such as yourself, to send us a couple thousand bucks every so often."

PolWatch
05-24-2015, 08:15 AM
We have the best government money can buy.....it's a shame the average citizen can't afford to buy any.

Peter1469
05-24-2015, 08:49 AM
I am for transparency laws. I am not sure we need to ban closed meetings,but the participants and the topic should be public- then voters know which representative are doing that sort of thing and can take that into consideration when voting.

Mac-7
05-24-2015, 09:08 AM
The reason that republican donors fear disclosure is because liberals are street thugs who bully private citizens for participating in the political process.

Peter1469
05-24-2015, 09:20 AM
The reason that republican donors fear disclosure is because liberals are street thugs who bully private citizens for participating in the political process.

I doubt it. It is the big money and powerful interests that worry people.

Mac-7
05-24-2015, 09:24 AM
I doubt it. It is the big money and powerful interests that worry people.

If you are the CEO of a company and donate money to a politician the left does not like you or even your parents could be picketed day and night by unemployed Obama voters from the hood or public employee union thugs.

PolWatch
05-24-2015, 09:33 AM
You & your family could be targeted by corporate thugs for contributing to the dems....

IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt every time he hopped too...

Mac-7
05-24-2015, 10:03 AM
You & your family could be targeted by corporate thugs for contributing to the dems....

Attacking conservative politicians and political donors by rag-tag leftist thugs has already happened.

And I think your side is just getting started with the bust heads street politics

PolWatch
05-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Vaudeville/slap-stick comedy is alive & well....

Mac-7
05-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Vaudeville/slap-stick comedy is alive & well....

This is not surprising

I was not holding my breath waiting for a closet democrat to see the light.

PattyHill
05-24-2015, 10:22 AM

I'm more worried about poor people being mugged by rich people and corporations and having their safety taken away. Now that's thuggish behavior.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2015, 10:46 AM

I'm not worried about corporations victimizing me. They need a growing economy and free society in order to survive.

I'm more concerned with oppressive minded extreme left wing types gaining power and using information to create new laws which are designed to take away more of our freedoms. They need to gain more power in order to survive.

PattyHill
05-24-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm more worried about poor people being mugged by rich people and corporations and having their safety taken away. Now that's thuggish behavior.

I meant to say "safety net". Apologize for any confusion.

Polecat
05-24-2015, 10:49 AM

The alarming part is they pay the government to do it on their behalf. You can't opt out of a legal mandate.

Peter1469
05-24-2015, 12:19 PM
If you are the CEO of a company and donate money to a politician the left does not like you or even your parents could be picketed day and night by unemployed Obama voters from the hood or public employee union thugs.

I doubt it.

However, the anti-corruption efforts trump.

Mac-7
05-24-2015, 12:34 PM
I doubt it.

However, the anti-corruption efforts trump.

Scott walker's parents were harassed in their home by leftwing thugs.

The CEO of Chic-Fil-a was attacked along with his business by organized leftists who wanted to silence him for his views on gay marriage.

and lets not forget the power of the IRS when it is in the hands of leftwing activists.

PattyHill
05-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Scott walker's parents were harassed in their home by leftwing thugs.

The CEO of Chic-Fil-a was attacked along with his business by organized leftists who wanted to silence him for his views on gay marriage.

and lets not forget the power of the IRS when it is in the hands of leftwing activists.

I imagine you're fine with all those anti-choice people who not only picketed at doctors' houses but KILLED THEM.