PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Moderation:

Dr. Who
05-29-2015, 08:53 PM
tPF members, we have made a technical change to the manner in which we carry out moderation on the forum. Going forward, general in-thread warnings will continue to appear in a pink information box, however specific warnings to members will now be accomplished using the automated infraction tool. This will apply to both specific warnings and thread bans. There will be no points associated with these infractions, nor will any member receiving these infractions be penalized with limitations on posting privileges, but the infractions will appear on your personal infraction experience. Any member receiving a warning or thread ban infraction will receive a message from the moderator undertaking the action, addressing the specific transgression.

This change has been made to simplify the administrative functions for the moderators and bring about additional transparency to the process for the benefit of everyone concerned.

MisterVeritis
05-29-2015, 08:54 PM
tPF members, we have made a technical change to the manner in which we carry out moderation on the forum. Going forward, general in-thread warnings will continue to appear in a pink information box, however specific warnings to members will now be accomplished using the automated infraction tool. This will apply to both specific warnings and thread bans. There will be no points associated with these infractions, nor will any member receiving these infractions be penalized with limitations on posting privileges, but the infractions will appear on your personal infraction experience. Any member receiving a warning or thread ban infraction will receive a message from the moderator undertaking the action, addressing the specific transgression.

This change has been made to simplify the administrative functions for the moderators and bring about additional transparency to the process for the benefit of everyone concerned.
Oh goody!

silvereyes
05-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Im ready for my spanking, mr mod sir. Shall i bend over? :0

Captain Obvious
05-30-2015, 02:16 PM
I don't get it, they show up as infractions but don't mean anything?

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 02:27 PM
I support this.

Chris
05-30-2015, 02:28 PM

We could assign them point values but for now chose not to. Still, so many "pointless" infractions will lead to a "pointed" one.

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Basically, they are infractions without points attached that are now being used as warnings. That's how I understand it, anyway. They do mean something because they are moderator actions and if you ignore them you'll be begging for more moderation on your ass.

sachem
05-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Brutes. You are all brutes I say.

PolWatch
05-30-2015, 02:35 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.9V7eLr5AgJ4WddnGAJ9POA&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&w=66&h=92

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 02:35 PM

allows for tracking. also reminds members where they stand.

People who continually violate the rules are not treated the same as people who slip up now and then. Numbers can show that.

Chris
05-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Brutes. You are all brutes I say.

http://i.snag.gy/TxQSW.jpg

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 02:37 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.9V7eLr5AgJ4WddnGAJ9POA&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&w=66&h=92

Here, this one's better:

http://media.giphy.com/media/xaGmu2oBl6gWQ/giphy.gif

Chris
05-30-2015, 02:40 PM
On a mission from God!

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 02:40 PM
On a mission from God!

"I'm here to break bread and kick ass, and we're all out of bread."

silvereyes
05-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Soooo, you're saying you've got our numbers? Lol. I crack me up sometimes.

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Nunjas: Stealth is a habit.

http://spi1uk.itvnet.lv/upload/articles/44/445116/images/Ninja-Nuns-1.gif

silvereyes
05-30-2015, 02:44 PM
Lmao!

Chris
05-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Soooo, you're saying you've got our numbers? Lol. I crack me up sometimes.

Or your days are numbered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TWLSliZ-U

Polecat
05-30-2015, 03:03 PM
So....Is there an infraction meter somewhere that we can check to see if someone is naughty or nice?

The Sage of Main Street
05-30-2015, 03:13 PM
They are inadvertent whistles.

The Sage of Main Street
05-30-2015, 03:15 PM
We could assign them point values but for now chose not to. Still, so many "pointless" infractions will lead to a "pointed" one. So, what's the point?

Chris
05-30-2015, 03:15 PM
So....Is there an infraction meter somewhere that we can check to see if someone is naughty or nice?

Afraid all you can see is your own meter: Go to your Profile, click on the Infractions tab. If you don't see the tab, you're nice.

We considered outsourcing to Santa but don't have the funds.

Chris
05-30-2015, 03:16 PM
So, what's the point?

For the new warning and TB infrations, 0, zero, nada, nil, null.... But we use new math and they add up.

The Sage of Main Street
05-30-2015, 03:19 PM
People who continually violate the rules are not treated the same as people who slip up now and then. Numbers can show that. Your last post made my mind numb. Now it is even number.

Chris
05-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Your last post made my mind numb. Now it is even number.

Touché, shall we say.

The Sage of Main Street
05-30-2015, 03:25 PM
For the new warning and TB infrations, 0, zero, nada, nil, null.... But we use new math and they add up. Is that like zero-point energy? Positive infinity and negative infinity are the biggest numbers possible, yet they add up to zero.

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Your last post made my mind numb. Now it is even number.

I claim success.

Chris
05-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Is that like zero-point energy? Positive infinity and negative infinity are the biggest numbers possible, yet they add up to zero.

Yes, like a quantum vacuum. All based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Keep 'em guessing.

Captain Obvious
05-30-2015, 06:31 PM
We could assign them point values but for now chose not to. Still, so many "pointless" infractions will lead to a "pointed" one.

So they do kinda count for something even though there aren't technical "points" allotted to them.

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 06:32 PM
So they do kinda count for something even though there aren't technical "points" allotted to them.

If a member collects warnings that can be the basis for further actions.

That has always been the case. This is only an easy way to keep track.

Captain Obvious
05-30-2015, 06:33 PM
If a member collects warnings that can be the basis for further actions.

That has always been the case. This is only an easy way to keep track.

I'm ok with it but there is a discretionary element to it.

Which is the way it should be IMO.

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm ok with it but there is a discretionary element to it.

Which is the way it should be IMO.

There always will be.

Otherwise we could have the computer mod us. I doubt people would like an unthinking application of the rules.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Afraid all you can see is your own meter: Go to your Profile, click on the Infractions tab. If you don't see the tab, you're nice.

We considered outsourcing to Santa but don't have the funds.
I hate going there. So much to read!

silvereyes
05-30-2015, 11:02 PM
There always will be.

Otherwise we could have the computer mod us. I doubt people would like an unthinking application of the rules.
But, hey, then it would match the way some posters post. :)

silvereyes
05-30-2015, 11:04 PM
I hate going there. So much to read!

Hello? Knock, knock! Is anybody here? Can we please get this guy a version with pictures? Preferrably with words with no more than three letters? Thank you!

Heehee, im cracking myself up.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Hello? Knock, knock! Is anybody here? Can we please get this guy a version with pictures? Preferrably with words with no more than three letters? Thank you!

Heehee, im cracking myself up.
I am somewhat popular with the moderators. Although popular might not be the word they would use. :-)

Common
05-31-2015, 12:22 AM
I dont care one bit what you change the rules to be. Im not changing anyway :) So change away im just fine with it.

Mac-7
05-31-2015, 06:35 AM
This place reminds me a lot of Washington, D.C.

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 07:36 AM
This place reminds me a lot of Washington, D.C.

Have you ever been to DC?

Boris The Animal
05-31-2015, 07:52 AM
We could assign them point values but for now chose not to. Still, so many "pointless" infractions will lead to a "pointed" one.You mean like the one on your head? ;) (OK, OK. I had to get that lark in :D )

MisterVeritis
05-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Have you ever been to DC?
I have. I attended the Defense Intelligence Agency College. I learned all about intelligence collection involving theater and national assets. I spent many weekends in the Smithsonian museum. The course was largely at the compartmented top secret level so weekends were usually available.

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 10:57 AM
I have. I attended the Defense Intelligence Agency College. I learned all about intelligence collection involving theater and national assets. I spent many weekends in the Smithsonian museum. The course was largely at the compartmented top secret level so weekends were usually available.

Cool. I like the museums and the Mall in general. I have not been to the Air & Space annex that was opened near Dulles.

MisterVeritis
05-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Cool. I like the museums and the Mall in general. I have not been to the Air & Space annex that was opened near Dulles.
I enjoyed the Smithsonian but enjoyed the course even more.

The Sage of Main Street
05-31-2015, 01:12 PM
Yes, like a quantum vacuum. All based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Keep 'em guessing. God does not play dice. Heisenberg became a Nazi. Authoritarian irrationalism in physics led to authoritarian irrationalism in politics.

Heisenberg continued to be incompetent, failing to provide his idol Hitler with an atomic bomb. Typical of self-justifying nerdy freaks, he claimed he failed on purpose for humanitarian reasons.

silvereyes
06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Have you been to the airplane museum in Galveston? That's way cool.

sec
06-04-2015, 07:58 AM

I guess I have no other way to say this other than..............huh?

For those of us who don't speak "forum"

would you be so kind as to explain in English

thanks

PolWatch
06-04-2015, 08:07 AM
At the bottom of each thread is a book symbol. When that symbol is a different color, the poster of that thread has received a warning...a separate warning box later in the thread is optional with each mod. If the warning is general (everyone in the thread is being a stinker) the warning will only be the box.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 08:12 AM
At the bottom of each thread is a book symbol. When that symbol is a different color, the poster of that thread has received a warning...a separate warning box later in the thread is optional with each mod. If the warning is general (everyone in the thread is being a stinker) the warning will only be the box.

That means we can all heckle that person now.

:)

PolWatch
06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
That means we can all heckle that person now.

:)

you say that like it would be something new or different....

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.Ct9GkPQKgNhRXTDXlFWC7g&pid=15.1&P=0

Chris
06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
I guess I have no other way to say this other than..............huh?

For those of us who don't speak "forum"

would you be so kind as to explain in English

thanks

We used to warn in posts, now we warn with infractions. Questions?

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 08:24 AM
So it's like a scarlet letter thing I think but I'm not sure where they show up though.

sec
06-04-2015, 08:27 AM
We used to warn in posts, now we warn with infractions. Questions?

after how many "infractions" is it that gets a person banned and is it for a day, a week, eternity?

Also, as returning poster, I must ask a serious and valid question

On some political forums there are double standards with respect to rule enforcement. I know that may cause a knee-jerk reaction but it's a valid question. Are posters with whom the moderators hold opposite values treated the same as those with whom the moderators agree?

Also, sites tend to either lean right or lean left. It's only natural despite attempts to try and be "fair". Which way does this site lean?

thanks

Oh, one more thing. There should be a rule in place that anyone who questions the dominance of the SEC in college football should be banned

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
after how many "infractions" is it that gets a person banned and is it for a day, a week, eternity?

On some political forums there are double standards with respect to rule enforcement. I know that may cause a knee-jerk reaction but it's a valid question. Are posters with whom the moderators hold opposite values treated the same as those with whom the moderators agree?

Also, sites tend to either lean right or lean left. It's only natural despite attempts to try and be "fair". Which way does this site lean?

thanks

Oh, one more thing. There should be a rule in place that anyone who questions the dominance of the SEC in college football should be banned

Dude - read the thread, this was already covered.

Chris
06-04-2015, 08:33 AM

thanks

Infractions discussed, as captain says, read thread.

We're all biased, we mod by team to balance, already discussed I think.

Thanks.

sec
06-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Dude - read the thread, this was already covered.

Dude- if I could glean that information then I would not be asking.

Chris
06-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Tentatively more than a few infractions in a week earns an infraction of 24 hours or more. More than a few of those earns you a temp ban of a week or so. A couple of those in over a 3 month period and you're permanently banned.

I say tentatively because we, the mods, need to see how it works. Our goal is still light moderation, leaving you to moderate yourself. And in the end it's a judgment call depending on a lot of things and decision by consensus of the mod team.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Dude- if I could glean that information then I would not be asking.

Sorry but it sounds like you'd rather waste peoples time than go back and read through the thread.

It's all in there, everything you asked. Not sure what to make of that other than laziness.

You must be a progressive.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Mods will warn / infract anyone who merits it. But we try to be member driven and some people refuse to report rule violations. That is OK. But then those same people complain about bias. That is where the disconnect is, imo.

If you see a rule violation report it or not. But don't retaliate in a way that violates the rules.

Chris
06-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Sorry but it sounds like you'd rather waste peoples time than go back and read through the thread.

It's all in there, everything you asked. Not sure what to make of that other than laziness.

You must be a progressive.

Well we were trying to avoid being specific on warning counts, infractions counts and all because like I said above it's tentative, something we need to check out, and because we need to leave room for judgment. For example, someone who generally contributes a lot to discussion but slips up now and then will probably get some leeway another who rarely contributes and mainly causes trouble. You were a mod so know how it is.

Chris
06-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Mods will warn / infract anyone who merits it. But we try to be member driven and some people refuse to report rule violations. That is OK. But then those same people complain about bias. That is where the disconnect is, imo.

If you see a rule violation report it or not. But don't retaliate in a way that violates the rules.

Let me echo that last part. If someone insults you no matter how horrendously if you report it and then retaliate you'll both get warnings. Also, when you report something like that make sure you didn't provoke it.

Mister D
06-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Are these warnings goign to remain on my settings tab like the infractions do? There is still crap from over two years ago.

Captain Obvious
06-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Are these warnings goign to remain on my settings tab like the infractions do? There is still crap from over two years ago.

Only through Christ may your sins be purged, infidel.

Chris
06-09-2015, 09:10 AM

Only you and mods can see those.

We're discussing expiring warnings and thread bans after a week since we only look back one week.

Chris
06-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Oh, the expires will stick to your profile but be marked expired.

http://i.snag.gy/COS6b.jpg

Mister D
06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Ugh...this will start to take up too much space. OK.

Captain Obvious
06-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Ugh...this will start to take up too much space. OK.

Yeah, tPF might need a server upgrade for your settings page.

:biglaugh:

Mister D
06-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah, tPF might need a server upgrade for your settings page.

I got two warnings in as nmany days. :grin:

PolWatch
06-09-2015, 09:50 AM
my mother always told me to behave or it would go on my permanent record. I didn't know that record was on tPF....whodathunkit?

Captain Obvious
06-09-2015, 09:57 AM
I got two warnings in as nmany days. :grin:

You didn't choose the thug life...

Mac-7
06-09-2015, 02:54 PM
We're all biased, we mod by team to balance, already discussed I think.

Translation:

You watch my back and I'll watch yours.

Chris
06-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Translation:

You watch my back and I'll watch yours.

No, it's like I said and you quoted. We mod by team to balance biases we all have.

Mister D
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I've seen much worse, mac.

Mac-7
06-10-2015, 08:18 AM
No, it's like I said and you quoted. We mod by team to balance biases we all have.

You mean to cover each other's ass.

mods play by different rules that you make up as you go along.

Thread banned for not only challenging moderation but insulting moderators. Violation of rule #9.

Common Sense
06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I got my first infraction under the new system.

Does that stay on my "permanent record"?

It was worth it anyway....

Chris
06-10-2015, 09:06 AM

We're discussing having those expire. They will stay in your history--I have one from 2013--but they won't count with future moderation. Right now we only look back one week.

Chris
06-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Members, understand that when we make announcements of a change in moderation like in this thread, yes, we are opening the floor to discussion of the change and related matters for the purpose of understanding it. But, no, we are not opening the door for some discontent to come in and start taking potshots at moderation or moderators, rule #9 still applies.

del
06-10-2015, 09:39 AM
these are matters of tremendous import

the world watches

Captain Obvious
06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Raging against machines!

Captain Obvious
06-10-2015, 10:11 AM
I've seen much worse, mac.

And I have a feeling Mac will continue to also.

Crepitus
06-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes, like a quantum vacuum. All based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Keep 'em guessing.
Careful Dude, you'll end up letting Schrodinger's Cat out of the box and you never know what condition it will be in!

Chris
06-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Careful Dude, you'll end up letting Schrodinger's Cat out of the box and you never know what condition it will be in!

http://i.snag.gy/negwv.jpg

Chris
06-11-2015, 04:45 PM
The moderators have decided to expire warning and thread ban infractions after 7 days.

What does this mean? In general, if you get more than 3 warnings in a week you'll get an extended infraction of 24 hours in the Hole. So only active infractions count toward that.

What it should also mean is that the Infractions indicator under your avatar and above your rep power should only show active infractions. Thus, this below says this member has one active infraction:

http://i.snag.gy/Vrjhe.jpg

Once that is expired the infractions indicator should go away. --I think, those of you with infractions older than a week, please watch and report if it doesn't work right.

I'm sure we'll all sleep easier at night now. :D

sachem
06-11-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sleep/sleeping-smiley-face.gif

silvereyes
06-13-2015, 08:06 AM
The moderators have decided to expire warning and thread ban infractions after 7 days.

What does this mean? In general, if you get more than 3 warnings in a week you'll get an extended infraction of 24 hours in the Hole. So only active infractions count toward that.

What it should also mean is that the Infractions indicator under your avatar and above your rep power should only show active infractions. Thus, this below says this member has one active infraction:

Once that is expired the infractions indicator should go away. --I think, those of you with infractions older than a week, please watch and report if it doesn't work right.

What is this sleep of which you speak? Please elaborate. :)

Chris
06-13-2015, 08:10 AM
What is this sleep of which you speak? Please elaborate. :)

http://i.snag.gy/J6eEc.jpg

silvereyes
06-13-2015, 08:27 AM
LMao...yup, that's me. Damn overly intelligent brain. ;)

Chris
06-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Setting warning and thread ban infractions to expire after 7 days did not set existing such infractions to expire. All those that were set to never expire have now been reversed.

This simplifies the general rule of thumb we follow that more than 3 active infractions in a week earns a higher infraction of 24 hours in the Hole.

Note: Thread ban infractions expire, not thread bans. IOW, if you were TBed, you will remain TBed from the thread even after the infraction expires.

Clear as mud?