PDA

View Full Version : The moment Rand Paul has been waiting for

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 06:10 PM
As a Senator, Rand Paul can block a vote for the renewal of the Patriot Act (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html). And that is what he intends to do tomorrow.

Hours before the Senate’s PATRIOT Act standoff hit its peak this month, Republican leaders thought they had Rand Paul figured out. He would object, rail on the matter on the Senate floor — and then let at least a temporary extension through.

“I don’t agree with Sen. Paul on this issue, but I think he’s been a constructive guy,” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas said just before the week-long recess.

A day later with the clock past midnight and the Senate in a standstill largely because of Paul’s objections, Cornyn wasn’t nearly as generous.

“I’m a little surprised,” a perplexed Cornyn said. “Sen. Paul is asking for something that nobody will agree to.”

Paul’s handling of the PATRIOT Act issue has caught many of his GOP colleagues by surprise — and he now plans to drag the fight days past a midnight Sunday deadline, forcing the sweeping surveillance law to expire. Despite repeated cajoling by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell over the Memorial Day recess, Paul plans to block his fellow Kentuckian’s efforts to expedite debate, he told POLITICO Saturday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html#ixzz3bfMXuXvX

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Will this help or hurt him as a presidential hopeful?

PolWatch
05-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Hooray!

Mister D
05-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Hurt, I'd say.

1. Contemporary Americans appear to an aversion to anyone who actually has firm convictions about anything.

2. This will earn him more ire from the establishment which will dump money into a propaganda campaign against him.

PattyHill
05-30-2015, 06:18 PM

Should help him with his fanboys, but hurt him with the party.

But I think the Patriot Act should expire, so I'll take help wherever I can get it.

PolWatch
05-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Are there enough people in the nation concerned about the PA to make a difference? We are not familiar with a politician acting on convictions that are unrelated to $$$$ support.

Common
05-30-2015, 06:35 PM
His shenannagins have already hurt him with big GOP donors. It comes to a point where being an attention whore gets realized for what it is and youre viewed more as a pain in the ass than acutally sincere

PolWatch
05-30-2015, 06:48 PM
He is defying his party with his stand against the PA, I can't think of any reason other than conviction to do so. He can't expect support from the dems because he is defying them on this issue too. The only people that support his stand are those who oppose the PA. I just don't see any benefit for him other than standing for what he thinks is right.

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Most people prefer the bread and circuses offered by the Establishment.

PattyHill
05-30-2015, 07:00 PM
He is defying his party with his stand against the PA, I can't think of any reason other than conviction to do so. He can't expect support from the dems because he is defying them on this issue too. The only people that support his stand are those who oppose the PA. I just don't see any benefit for him other than standing for what he thinks is right.

Money from small donors since he hasn't gotten any of the big donors.

Or maybe it is principle; since he's unlikely to win the nomination, might as well go for principle.

Peter1469
05-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Money from small donors since he hasn't gotten any of the big donors.

Or maybe it is principle; since he's unlikely to win the nomination, might as well go for principle.

This is also his first try for the presidency. He may be only building a national organization and trying to get it experience for a later run.

PolWatch
05-30-2015, 07:02 PM
He has earned my admiration for his stand on the issue....I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way so who knows. This might help him jump-start his campaign.

Green Arrow
05-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Many libertarian-minded followers of his father, Ron Paul, have turned away from Rand. I've been saying over and over again that it's a mistake, that they are looking at this all wrong, but meh.

Personally, I'll never forget that he will be the one to kill the PATRIOT Act.

donttread
05-31-2015, 06:47 AM
As a Senator, Rand Paul can block a vote for the renewal of the Patriot Act (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html). And that is what he intends to do tomorrow.

Go Rand. The only real man in congress.

donttread
05-31-2015, 06:48 AM

That depends upon whether the sheep have awakened at all by this time next year

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 07:34 AM
That depends upon whether the sheep have awakened at all by this time next year

I would bet my fortune that the sheep will still be sheep.

PattyHill
05-31-2015, 08:30 AM
This is also his first try for the presidency. He may be only building a national organization and trying to get it experience for a later run.

That makes sense.

PattyHill
05-31-2015, 08:31 AM
He has earned my admiration for his stand on the issue....I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way so who knows. This might help him jump-start his campaign.

While I admire his stand on this issue, I disagree with him on too many things to ever vote for him. But I might give him a little money.

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Many people on the left like a little bit of liberty. But they don't want the full thing. That would take to much personal responsibility.

PolWatch
05-31-2015, 08:45 AM
While I admire his stand on this issue, I disagree with him on too many things to ever vote for him. But I might give him a little money.

After looking at all the current possible candidates, I will probably decide to stay home & reorganize my spice cabinet. Several of them have voiced positions that I agree with but none of them have inspired me enough to be worth the effort of leaving the house on election day.

Of course, where I live the repub candidate will win, even if they nominate Wily Coyote. :grin:

donttread
05-31-2015, 11:11 AM
I would bet my fortune that the sheep will still be sheep.

Dude if you have a fortune you should be off in Vegas with a couple of hookers instead of here debating with us! Live it up!

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 11:15 AM
I will be in Vegas for the 4th.

PolWatch
05-31-2015, 11:49 AM
:kiss:

Tricia
05-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Rand isn't my perferred candidate but I respect his stand on this issue.

PolWatch
05-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Rand isn't my perferred candidate but I respect his stand on this issue.

I admire his stand on the PA.