PDA

View Full Version : bernie gains momentum: "Objects in your rearview mirror are closer than they appear"

del
06-01-2015, 09:36 AM
DES MOINES — A mere 240 people live in the rural northeast Iowa town of Kensett, so when more than 300 crowded into the community center to hear Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, many driving 50 miles, the cellphones of Democratic leaders statewide began to buzz.
Kurt Meyer, the county party chairman who organized the Saturday event, texted Troy Price, the Iowa political director for Hillary Rodham Clinton. Price called back immediately.
“Objects in your rearview mirror are closer than they appear,” Meyer said he had told Price about Sanders. “Mrs. Clinton had better get out here.”

The first evidence that Clinton could face a credible challenge in the Iowa presidential caucuses appeared late last week in the form of overflow crowds at Sanders’s first swing through that state since declaring his candidacy for the Democratic nomination.
He drew 700 people to an event Thursday night in Davenport, for instance — the largest rally in the state for any single candidate this campaign season, and far more than the 50 people who attended a rally there Saturday with former governor Martin O’Malley of Maryland.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2015/05/31/challenging-clinton-sanders-gains-momentum-iowa/ImBKwEKXcyyh9sC9EzUMNJ/story.html#

the beginning of the end for hillary

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 09:39 AM
No doubt news of the rape essay backfired on Billary and helped sanders instead of hurting him.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 09:39 AM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2015/05/31/challenging-clinton-sanders-gains-momentum-iowa/ImBKwEKXcyyh9sC9EzUMNJ/story.html#

The Democrats might be getting a bit nervous about nominating Hillary Clinton, but they know Sanders isn't the alternative. He's unelectable on a national level.

del
06-01-2015, 09:40 AM
The Democrats might be getting a bit nervous about nominating Hillary Clinton, but they know Sanders isn't the alternative. He's unelectable on a national level.

keep telling yourself that

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 09:41 AM
keep telling yourself that

Brilliant insight there. Brilliant!

Tricia
06-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I think Hillary initially thought she had it all tied up. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

del
06-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Brilliant insight there. Brilliant!

unsurprisingly, you're easily impressed

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 09:44 AM
It's Hillary's nomination to lose.

That dude from Maryland threw his hat in recently too.

They might have enough now to field a real debate.

:biglaugh:

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I think Hillary initially thought she had it all tied up. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Many people including me keep pointing out that Hillary is a bad politician.

She has no personality and a tin ear.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Many people including me keep pointing out that Hillary is a bad politician.

She has no personality and a tin ear.

She does appear to be cold and an elitist. She's thinking that her husband's charisma is going to be a benefit to her. The establishment within the Democrat party is looking for a credible and serious candidate who could have appeal on a national level. So far none of the names tossed out there have more national appeal than her.

Neither Sanders or Elizabeth Warren can win on a national level. Most of the country views them as left wing kooks.

The problem is that the Democrats have adopted the far left fringe of American politics and now they have become the mainstream in the Democrat party.

They might be be stuck with her as their only choice.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:10 AM

well, you post so many impressive comments. You are always on point and full of substance.

texan
06-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Clinton is a Trojan Horse, it shouldn't take much to create a viable alternative. There you go far left:

“Goldman likes to play both sides of the fence and that’s especially true of a race like this where either of these two candidates — Bush and Clinton — could ultimately be helpful to them,” said Charles Geisst, a Wall Street historian at Manhattan College.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/jeb-bush-goldman-sachs-2016-election-115672.html#ixzz3bp7pMxHt

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I believe the party elite may be trying to figure out a way to promote this O'Mally character, but when you did into his past, you find he's just as much of a kook as the rest.

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Rush said he was allowed to be

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Rush said he was allowed to be

Rush is the Captain's boogyman.

But except for William no children post here so the fear factor is minimal.

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Listening to Rush Rhetoric from you predictable parrots isn't very intellectually stimulating.

mainman is here somewhere, why don't you two go find a nice dark corner somewhere.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Listening to Rush Rhetoric from you predictable parrots isn't very intellectually stimulating.

mainman is here somewhere, why don't you two go find a nice dark corner somewhere.

Behave or Rush will come and get you.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:25 AM

I don't know why these nit-wits are so fixated on Rush Limbaugh. I rarely listen to him, but I'm tempted to just because these left wing types seem to be nearly hysterical when it comes to him.

The only political commentary I listen to is the left wing side. I find it entertaining. It's incredible to see how people can watch events unfold and come to the complete opposition conclusion as to what just happened and how we got there.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:27 AM
He's here. He's been sending me PM's telling me how much of an intellectual he is. They are hard to read as they are just one long incoherent rant.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Behave or Rush will come and get you.

i wish someone could tell me why the left is so obsessed with him.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't know why these nit-wits are so fixated on Rush Limbaugh. I rarely listen to him, but I'm tempted to just because these left wing types seem to be nearly hysterical when it comes to him.

The only political commentary I listen to is the left wing side. I find it entertaining. It's incredible to see how people can watch events unfold and come to the complete opposition conclusion as to what just happened and how we got there.

I try to listen to the left.

But increasingly I don't have to watch or listen to the media because liberals all talk the same so more and more I get the party line through them.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:33 AM
i wish someone could tell me why the left is so obsessed with him.

Limbaugh is good and they have not been able to shut him up.

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Shut him up?

LOL! He says maybe a dozen words an hour, the rest of the 55 minutes of air time is fucking commercials.

Morons like you sit there and listen to them too.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Shut him up?

LOL! He says maybe a dozen words an hour, the rest of the 55 minutes of air time is $#@!ing commercials.

I have not timed it but I think the commercial time is about average.

This is a new smear for you.

Are you just trying it out?

Usually you complain about the quality of the advertisers.

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:43 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/79/7973ddd064b2c6871fa06ac8106091923a417cfff130017d8c c8c1e2acae172c.jpg

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:43 AM
http://1000funnypictures.com/wp-content/uploads/Rush-Limbaugh-and-Balthazar-Funny-Look-Alikes.jpg

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 10:44 AM
https://friedchickenandmetal.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rush-limbaugh-meme.jpg

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Thank you for those outbursts of anger, Captain.

It was very helpful to the discussion.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Shut him up?

LOL! He says maybe a dozen words an hour, the rest of the 55 minutes of air time is $#@!ing commercials.

So, you must be one of his listeners? How else would you know this?

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 11:08 AM

I'm not like you guys, I don't bark ignorance out of my ass.

I used to listen to him regularly. Lately I just tune in when I'm driving around at lunch time but wind up switching because I'm not one to sit and listen to commercials which he basically broadcasts more of anyway.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I try to listen to the left.

But increasingly I don't have to watch or listen to the media because liberals all talk the same so more and more I get the party line through them.

The people on MSNBC take it to the next level. I just heard Chris Matthews say that there are very few "lefties" as he called them in the Democrat party. He just said the Democrat party is mostly people on the center to center right. He really said that.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:13 AM

I used to listen to him regularly. Lately I just tune in when I'm driving around at lunch time but wind up switching because I'm not one to sit and listen to commercials which he basically broadcasts more of anyway.

Ill take your word for it. When I'm out driving around, I'm listening to music.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Most people probably see the humor and irony in that one

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Back to the theme here. I don't see any candidate replacing Hillary Clinton at this point. The other Democrats who have announced their candidacy are a couple of goof balls. Sanders, who has no national appeal and O'Mally, who helped bring Baltimore to where it is now and ran Maryland into the ground.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 11:27 AM

NPR told him so.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:30 AM

I beleive one reason they are obsessed with him is just plain old fashioned jealousy. For decades, they have been trying to find someone on the left to compete with him and all have been abject failures. They have created radio networks like "Air America" for the purpose of shutting him up and all attempts have failed. The list of failed left wing imitators is endless. They couldn't even sustain an audience in overwhelmingly left wing parts of the country.

The left has trotted out all kinds of imitators and none of them have gotten enough attention to sustain any audience.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 11:31 AM
The people on MSNBC take it to the next level. I just heard Chris Matthews say that there are very few "lefties" as he called them in the Democrat party. He just said the Democrat party is mostly people on the center to center right. He really said that.

Matthews is pretty far left and his circle of influence is pretty small.

Mac-7
06-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I beleive one reason they are obsessed with him is just plain old fashioned jealousy. For decades, they have been trying to find someone on the left to compete with him and all have been abject failures. They have created radio networks like "Air America" for the purpose of shutting him up and all attempts have failed. The list of failed left wing imitators is endless. They couldn't even sustain an audience in overwhelmingly left wing parts of the country.

The left has trotted out all kinds of imitators and none of them have gotten enough attention to sustain any audience.

Lefties are very insecure.

Limbaugh challenges their beliefs and they don't know how to debate him.

Plus liberals take themselves very seriously and when he laughs at them that amounts to a personal insult to every lib who hears it.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Matthews is pretty far left and his circle of influence is pretty small.
Matthews used to be a serious political commentator. Back in the 1980's he was a fairly serious and thoughtful guy. But then that was long before he got tingles up his leg.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Plus liberals take themselves very seriously and when he laughs at them that amounts to a personal insult to every lib who hears it.

You might have a point there. Liberals do tend to be insulted by humor when it's based in truths.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Saunders won't be elected. The machine won't allow it. The machine won't allow an actual liberal or an actual conservative to get their respective parties nomination.

del
06-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Saunders won't be elected. The machine won't allow it. The machine won't allow an actual liberal or an actual conservative to get their respective parties nomination.

you're probably right, but it should be interesting to watch them squirm

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:44 AM

The "machine" won't allow it because Sanders can not win a national election.

The party establishment on both sides wants to win. you're not going to win by nominating a person which most of the country views as a kook on the fringe of either side.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 11:52 AM
you're probably right, but it should be interesting to watch them squirm

They'll just ignore him or hit piece him like they did to Ron Paul in 2012. But like Paul in 2012, he might clown a few of the nominees in the debates, so that will be interesting.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 11:54 AM

The party establishment on both sides wants to win. you're not going to win by nominating a person which most of the country views as a kook on the fringe of either side.

Wrong. The establishment on both sides is bought by corporate America, and they won't allow anyone who will hurt their bottom line be the President, whether it's a big government liberal or a small government libertarian.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Wrong. The establishment on both sides is bought by corporate America, and they won't allow anyone who will hurt their bottom line be the President, whether it's a big government liberal or a small government libertarian.

So, you are saying that the party establishment on either side does not want to win an election?

The Xl
06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
So, you are saying that the party establishment on either side does not want to win an election?

They do, as long as the candidate satisfies what corporate America, the military industrial complex, etc, wants. Bernie Sanders certainly does not fit that bill. Hilary does, however.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
A candidate needs to demonstrate national appeal. Sanders does not. To some extent Hillary does. Her national appeal is becoming more vulnerable all the time though. My guess is that she will be the nominee and the media will fall in line and lead the cheers for her.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 12:09 PM
A candidate needs to demonstrate national appeal. Sanders does not. To some extent Hillary does. Her national appeal is becoming more vulnerable all the time though. My guess is that she will be the nominee and the media will fall in line and lead the cheers for her.

Sanders doesn't because he won't get the machine behind him. The machine got behind some random black guy that spouted some vague anti bank, anti war, anti wall street, pro civil liberties, pro poor stuff, shit that he didn't mean whatsoever, but that's irrelevant, and he's your two time President. The machine and the media backing you means everything. Guys like Sanders, Ron Paul, they won't get that because they're sincere and will hurt the bottom line of those special interests.

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 12:17 PM
The more possible nominees, the better the outcome. There is always the chance that the group that supports the outsider will raise enough noise to get some attention for their beliefs.

The recent situation with Paul & the PA is a good example. Mainstream wanted it passed with no questions....he brought objections to the open and accomplished a change in what was accepted.

If only one person is considered, no other ideas are even heard.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 03:17 PM
The more possible nominees, the better the outcome. There is always the chance that the group that supports the outsider will raise enough noise to get some attention for their beliefs.

The recent situation with Paul & the PA is a good example. Mainstream wanted it passed with no questions....he brought objections to the open and accomplished a change in what was accepted.

If only one person is considered, no other ideas are even heard.

Ok then. Why is the left so critical of the number of Republicans seeking the nomination? Why do liberals look at that as a bad thing?

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Sanders doesn't because he won't get the machine behind him. The machine got behind some random black guy that spouted some vague anti bank, anti war, anti wall street, pro civil liberties, pro poor stuff, $#@! that he didn't mean whatsoever, but that's irrelevant, and he's your two time President. The machine and the media backing you means everything. Guys like Sanders, Ron Paul, they won't get that because they're sincere and will hurt the bottom line of those special interests.

i don't know what your fixation with this "machine" is based on, but it's actually quite simple. Sanders has no chance nationally, because people across the country view him as a far left fringe kook. If "the machine" backed him, they'd be backing a loser.

The same with Ron Paul. He got nowhere because of some of the kooky things he stands for. That's why his son is a long shot. He has to overcome his father's kookiness.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 03:31 PM
i don't know what your fixation with this "machine" is based on, but it's actually quite simple. Sanders has no chance nationally, because people across the country view him as a far left fringe kook. If "the machine" backed him, they'd be backing a loser.

The same with Ron Paul. He got nowhere because of some of the kooky things he stands for. That's why his son is a long shot. He has to overcome his father's kookiness.

But a previously obscure black guy won and is a two time president

Kooky is the establishment. But they have money, influence, and useful idiots backing them, and that's why we're in this spot as a country. Kooky is nonstop war and runaway debt spending, but they have the money and that's all that matters

The Xl
06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Double post.

nic34
06-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Remember Biden was the kooky old grandpa who always talked before thinking?

He's a 2 term VP, and could easily hand over the job to Bernie....

Hillary/Bernie 2016 :grin:

The Xl
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Bernie Sanders being the vp of an establishment corporatist means nothing

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Bernie Sanders being the vp of an establishment corporatist means nothing

That's not not what he was saying.

Bob
06-01-2015, 05:29 PM

He is your man Delarusskie.

Promote him.

He will come to your aid.

Bob
06-01-2015, 05:31 PM

I still have a hard time thinking of you as living in Livermore. Maybe you got booted out?

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I actually think Bernie Sanders has a shot at this thing.

It's a long, long, loooooong shot, but I think he has a shot. One of his benefits is he has a LOT to compare and contrast between him and Hillary.

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Ok then. Why is the left so critical of the number of Republicans seeking the nomination? Why do liberals look at that as a bad thing?

I dunno....why are they?

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Because they see no value in debate maybe? They require lock-step agreement without questions

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:27 PM
I actually think Bernie Sanders has a shot at this thing.

It's a long, long, loooooong shot, but I think he has a shot. One of his benefits is he has a LOT to compare and contrast between him and Hillary.

It's no good, they'll do what they did to Ron Paul if he picks up any real momentum. Paul was doing extremely well in many states until the media put a hit on him and barely mentioned him, discrediting him and labeling him unelectable the few times they did mention him.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
It's no good, they'll do what they did to Ron Paul if he picks up any real momentum. Paul was doing extremely well in many states until the media put a hit on him and barely mention him, discrediting him and labeling him unelectable the few times they did mention him.

I don't think they can really do that with Sanders, though.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:29 PM

Why?

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Why?

Because he's running as a Democrat and the media is typically Democrat-aligned. Plus, measure that with Sanders's huge appeal across the Democratic base and you have a candidate you can't really afford to ignore.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Sanders is unelectable even with the media cheer leading for him. He's pretty much irrelevant on the national scene.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Because he's running as a Democrat and the media is typically Democrat-aligned. Plus, measure that with Sanders's huge appeal across the Democratic base and you have a candidate you can't really afford to ignore.

Being a Democrat only is relevant to the small minority of extreme left wing partisan hacks.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Sanders is unelectable even with the media cheer leading for him. He's pretty much irrelevant on the national scene.

I don't think that's realistic. He'd be guaranteed the vote of every Democrat-leaning individual in the country, which already runs him roughly even with any GOP candidate. How the independent votes would go would really depend on who the GOP candidate is. Run Sanders against Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, or Ted Cruz and I think Sanders wins. Run him against Rand Paul, I think Rand Paul wins.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:38 PM

They're democrat aligned outside of Fox, but they still traditionally support those candidates that do the bidding of corporations and the military industrial complex, and Sanders doesn't fit that bill whatsoever

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 06:43 PM
He'd be guaranteed the vote of every Democrat-leaning individual in the country, ins.

I couldn't disagree more. Several of my friends are staunch Democrats. None of them have any use for either Hillary or Sanders. If either of them are nominated they will either sit out or vote third party.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Several of my friends are staunch Democrats. None of them have any use for either Hillary or Sanders. If either of them are nominated they will either sit out or vote third party.

I don't see enough people doing that to make an impact. As long as the majority of Democratic voters in a blue state vote for Sanders, he wins the state. I know a lot of Republicans who will sit out or vote third party if Jeb Bush gets the nomination, but Jeb Bush will still likely win as long as the majority of GOP voters in red states vote for him...which they will.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 07:04 PM
First, I disagree. Second, I doubt Jeb Bush wins the nomination.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 07:08 PM
First, I disagree. Second, I doubt Jeb Bush wins the nomination.

I doubted Romney would win the nomination, and...well. We know how that turned out.

Most of the time, these decisions are made for us.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 07:11 PM
If we have a Bush vs Clinton election in 2016, we'll get what we deserve. I'm sure big money is laughing their asses off at our collective idiocy

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 07:19 PM
I think Bush has got the political machine to get the nomination. His family has the connections with the $$$. Jeb was the son being groomed for the presidency. He slowed his candidacy by marrying a Hispanic woman. Now, that isn't a liability but a real plus.

I will be very surprised if someone else wins the repub nomination. I suspect the others are trying to gain name recognition for future runs.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 07:20 PM
I doubted Romney would win the nomination,

i don't know why. To me he appeared to be the chosen one from the start.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2015, 07:21 PM
I think Bush has got the political machine to get the nomination. His family has the connections with the $$$. Jeb was the son being groomed for the presidency. He slowed his candidacy by marrying a Hispanic woman. Now, that isn't a liability but a real plus.

I will be very surprised if someone else wins the repub nomination. I suspect the others are trying to gain name recognition for future runs.

prepare to be surprised.