PDA

View Full Version : Was the TV program Stargate SG1 a government plausible deniability operation?

OGIS
06-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Stargate SG1 was a popular science fiction series in the 1990s. In it, the USAF has possession of an ancient artifact, a strange metal ring found buried in Egypt, that predated ancient Egyptian civilization and was capable of sending people to similar Stargates on other worlds (where everybody is human (except for the baddies) and everyone speaks English for, presumably, budget and story pacing reasons.

One of the episodes of Stargate SG1 was entitled "Wormhole Extreme. " This episode was about an alien (human of course) stranded on Earth, who has amnesia and does not realize he is an alien. But he is also somehow mentally "linked" to one of the SG1 characters in the story, who has all these adventures on alien worlds. So he dreams up this really stinkeroo SF series called "Wormhole Extreme" and somehow convinces a Hollywood producer to create a TV series of the same name.

The Air Force is predictably alarmed at this, but finally decides that the existence of the show is actually a good thing: it allows them "plausible deniability" in case anyone ever discovers the existence of the REAL Stargate program. They decide to monitor the production by inserting "advisors" into the situation.

Now there are SOME people who think that the whole Stargate SG1 series program was just a cover for a REAL Stargate program, and that the "Wormhole Extreme" episode was just the US Government laughing at the rest of us.

These people suggest that the Stargate program (which includes the building of a bunch of very expensive armed and lethal starships using technology stolen from the Bad Guy aliens) is the REAL reason that the military budget is so freaking high. All those $50 toilet seats are actually black budget accounting manipulation to hid the fact that the US has FREAKING SPACE-GOING BATTLESHIPS traveling around the galaxy and blowing shit up.

Comments and thoughts appreciated. Do not concern yourself with the fact that your computers may be running a bit slow when you access or comment on this thread. That's just the NSA making sure that you are not going off the reservation....

Captain Obvious
06-03-2015, 01:14 PM
My wife watches that shit, she has the entire boxed set. Her and my kid go through these phases where they're watching through all of them over a week or two.

I just heckle them every now and then to be annoying, they are gawd-awful campy.

OGIS
06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
My wife watches that $#@!, she has the entire boxed set. Her and my kid go through these phases where they're watching through all of them over a week or two.

I just heckle them every now and then to be annoying, they are gawd-awful campy.

One of the absolutely best lines EVAR in the entire series is when O'Neill (two "L"s) says to the rebel Jaffa leader:

"THIS (holding up a blast-staff) is a weapon used to intimidate your enemies. THIS (holding up a P90) is a weapon used to KILL your enemies."

Captain Obvious
06-03-2015, 01:26 PM
One of the absolutely best lines EVAR in the entire series is when O'Neill (two "L"s) says to the rebel Jaffa leader:

"THIS (holding up a blast-staff) is a weapon used to intimidate your enemies. THIS (holding up a P90) is a weapon used to KILL your enemies."

That's why I don't watch it.

Boringly rhetorical shows are really a turn-off for me, I couldn't watch this stuff on a bet.

Common Sense
06-03-2015, 01:28 PM
An old friend of mine was on that show.

OGIS
06-03-2015, 01:32 PM
An old friend of mine was on that show.

Was he human?

Common Sense
06-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Was he human?

Yes.

He still is I believe.