PDA

View Full Version : Three suicides linked to blanket suspension of Social Security benefits for 900 in Ke

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Three suicides linked to blanket suspension of Social Security benefits for 900 in Kentucky
By David Edwards

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/three-suicides-linked-to-blanket-suspension-of-social-security-benefits-for-900-in-kentucky/

"Kentucky attorney Ned Pillersdorf this week linked three suicides to the Social Security Administration’s decision to suspend benefits for 900 people without giving them a hearing."

====================================
This report goes to prove that there are many good Americans of less means whose sole income is Social Security. When they don't have it anymore they are devastated to the point of realization that they can't go on with life as they knew it from that point forward. It is most unfortunate that this had to happen to those three people and perhaps even more in time. They surely deserved better than that, a hearing at the very least, regardless. Thanks to Raw Story for this report.

Mac-7
06-03-2015, 08:04 PM
So if they got a hearing but were still cut off they would not have done themselves in?

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Three suicides linked to blanket suspension of Social Security benefits for 900 in Kentucky
By David Edwards

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/three-suicides-linked-to-blanket-suspension-of-social-security-benefits-for-900-in-kentucky/

This report goes to prove that there are many good Americans of less means whose sole income is Social Security. When they don't have it anymore they are devastated to the point of realization that they can't go on with life as they knew it from that point forward. It is most unfortunate that this had to happen to those three people and perhaps even more in time. They surely deserved better than that, a hearing at the very least, regardless. Thanks to Raw Story for this report.
Three out of 900. What is the usual suicide rate for a group of people like them? Say take the same age group, medical histories, psychological problem...

They were frauds that were not eligible to bilk the taxpayers.

zelmo1234
06-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Well it appears that they are on disability, and not SS because of course that only thing you need to do beyond age 62.5 is to be a citizen and have worked.

It also looks like the Doctors and Attorney's have conspired to get people on the system that did not deserve to be. In this case the people that falsified documents would be responsible for restitution and possible jail terms.

So did they kill themselves because they where no longer getting benefits, or because they knew that they were going to jail?

That is what we do not know.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:11 PM
So if they got a hearing but were still cut off they would not have done themselves in?
A hearing would have at the very least offered them hope that they would have been able to maintain some of their benefits. it's obvious that a good lawyer can always help people in that dire situation to receive the benefits they are rightfully entitled to. If they don't receive them but are entitled to them, a good lawyer can always appeal the decision further to obtain justice for those who struggle. But it starts with a hearing, first.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:14 PM
A hearing would have at the very least offered them hope that they would have been able to maintain some of their benefits. it's obvious that a good lawyer can always help people in that dire situation to receive the benefits they are rightfully entitled to. If they don't receive them but are entitled to them, a good lawyer can always appeal the decision further to obtain justice for those who struggle. But it starts with a hearing, first.
A good lawyer can help defraud the taxpayers. Got it.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Three out of 900. What is the usual suicide rate for a group of people like them? Say take the same age group, medical histories, psychological problem...

They were frauds that were not eligible to bilk the taxpayers.
Did you not read the story? Before you call them "frauds", it was not those people's fault. Others have been identified in the story.

Mister D
06-03-2015, 08:17 PM
By David Edwards

Yes, it's very sad but even if we don't like the personal choices people make it's really not any of our business.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Well it appears that they are on disability, and not SS because of course that only thing you need to do beyond age 62.5 is to be a citizen and have worked.

It also looks like the Doctors and Attorney's have conspired to get people on the system that did not deserve to be. In this case the people that falsified documents would be responsible for restitution and possible jail terms.

So did they kill themselves because they where no longer getting benefits, or because they knew that they were going to jail?

That is what we do not know.
Why would they go to jail? It wasn't their fault.

zelmo1234
06-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Actually yes it is! If you know you are not disabled and you doctor shop until you get one to play ball, that is fraud.

We are talking about a group that were charging to defraud the government. Just because you hired crooks to help you commit your crime does not mean you are innocent.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:23 PM
A good lawyer can help defraud the taxpayers. Got it.
A good lawyer has to go and present their case before the Administrative Court for a hearing and it is then up to the court to give the "yea" or "nay" at that point no matter how hard or how good the lawyer argues, got it.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Did you not read the story? Before you call them "frauds", it was not those people's fault. Others have been identified in the story.
I did read the story. Based on the evidence (that they no doubt provided) they were not eligible to get the benefits. They were defrauding the taxpayers. I know you are a liberal so fraud is perfectly acceptable to you. It is not to me.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Actually yes it is! If you know you are not disabled and you doctor shop until you get one to play ball, that is fraud.

We are talking about a group that were charging to defraud the government. Just because you hired crooks to help you commit your crime does not mean you are innocent.
Where's your PROOF that they knew who or what they actually were? A person is innocent until PROVEN guilty.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
A good lawyer has to go and present their case before the Administrative Court for a hearing and it is then up to the court to give the "yea" or "nay" at that point no matter how hard or how good the lawyer argues, got it.
They were not eligible. They were defrauding the taxpayers. There is no need to waste further money.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Where's your PROOF that they knew who or what they actually were? A person is innocent until PROVEN guilty.
You are a liberal. Fraud is fine with you. I get that.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
They were defrauding the taxpayers. Do you think that 900 people were defrauding taxpayers accidently?

Archer0915
06-03-2015, 08:31 PM
By David Edwards

From your link:

According to Pillersdorf, the SSA violated due process by suspending benefits without a hearing for each individual. And without a ruling from a federal judge, it could take the government around 15 months to reinstate the suspended cases.

Really? But the lawyers were getting with doctors and committing fraud:

Last week, the Social Security Administration confirmed (http://www.herald-dispatch.com/x1641592825/SSA-suspends-benefits-in-900-cases) that it had suspended benefits for 900 people after congressional investigators accused Kentucky attorney Eric C. Conn and David B. Daugherty, a former SSA judge, of fraud in 1,500 cases.
Investigators alleged that Conn would use several doctors to provide fraudulent medical testimony, and then Daugherty would assign the cases to himself.

But, But:

“Social Security has completed the initial review and determined these approximate 1,500 individuals were not eligible for benefits based on the remaining evidence in the case file,” SSA spokesperson LaVenia J. LaVelle said in a statement.

How can this happen to innocent people?

Had to hire a shady lawyer and make shit up! They knew damn good and well they were staling money!

Thank you Mr. Obama, you got something right, or did they get it right in spite of your sorry ass?

zelmo1234
06-03-2015, 08:31 PM

I agree, and they all should get a hearing. I am guessing that with 900 out of the 1500 losing their benefits the feds already have a good idea of who stands a chance and who was in it for the money.

You generally don't pay the money to get the people that are doing it illegal because if you have a good case it is way cheaper to do it through honest people.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:32 PM
I did read the story. Based on the evidence (that they no doubt provided) they were not eligible to get the benefits. They were defrauding the taxpayers. I know you are a liberal so fraud is perfectly acceptable to you. It is not to me.
You are quite wrong on that. One must leave it up to the law and the courts at this point to make a ruling on this case. But already the case has been elevated to "Class Action" status. So, there's a lot more there than meets the eye that the legal system must now unravel in order for justice to be done for everyone concerned.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:34 PM
I agree, and they all should get a hearing. I am guessing that with 900 out of the 1500 losing their benefits the feds already have a good idea of who stands a chance and who was in it for the money.

You generally don't pay the money to get the people that are doing it illegal because if you have a good case it is way cheaper to do it through honest people.
If they get a hearing and lose then they pay the hearing costs and they serve jail time for fraud. I am game.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:35 PM
You are quite wrong on that. One must leave it up to the law and the courts at this point to make a ruling on this case. But already the case has been elevated to "Class Action" status. So, there's a lot more there than meets the eye that the legal system must now unravel in order for justice to be done for everyone concerned.
Then let them all serve jail time for fraud if they lose.

I am tired of carrying all of the criminals and illegal aliens on my back.

GrassrootsConservative
06-03-2015, 08:36 PM
:occasion18: Three less leeches stealing my hard-earned tax dollars that I'll never get back because Social Security won't last lost enough. Hooray! It's like a late birthday present. More people on the government dole should do this. It sucks that we had to cut them off first when they could have done this long ago.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:37 PM
You are a liberal. Fraud is fine with you. I get that.
Wrong! And you are a conservative. Not being correct but acting as if you were is fine with you. I also get that.

TrueBlue
06-03-2015, 08:41 PM
If they get a hearing and lose then they pay the hearing costs and they serve jail time for fraud. I am game.
We just have to let justice run its course. Their lawyers might also be doing it Pro Bono due to the extenuating circumstances here?

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Wrong! And you are a conservative. Not being correct but acting as if you were is fine with you. I also get that.
They committed fraud. They are not eligible. If they get their hearings and are denied I want justice. I want fines to cover court costs. I want doctors to lose their licenses and I want the lawyers disbarred.

Enough is enough.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:44 PM
We just have to let justice run its course. Their lawyers might also be doing it Pro Bono due to the extenuating circumstances here?
if the plaintiffs lose I want serious jail time, the doctors to lose their licenses to practice and the lawyers disbarred. I would also like all of the bleeding heart liberals to have their hearts cut out but I suppose that is a bit too much to ask.

PattyHill
06-03-2015, 08:47 PM

You want Veritis to read the facts before jumping to a conclusion? That is SO unlike him

PattyHill
06-03-2015, 08:49 PM

They probably thought they WERE disabled.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get on soc security disability, even if you are disabled? These folks got on to it finally, and then they were removed - without a hearing?

I can sympathize with them. At the very least, they should have a hearing.

PattyHill
06-03-2015, 08:50 PM

It's not cheaper. There's pretty much a set fee when you go for disability. The fee depends on how far back you get benefits for, up to a certain amount.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:51 PM
You want Veritis to read the facts before jumping to a conclusion? That is SO unlike him
Under what circumstance would you recognize a fact?

Please continue to ignore my posts.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:52 PM
You are a liberal. Fraud is part of your mindset.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get on soc security disability, even if you are disabled? These folks got on to it finally, and then they were removed - without a hearing?

They were not eligible. They were committing fraud. I realize that liberals are very comfortable with fraud. It is what you do.

zelmo1234
06-03-2015, 08:59 PM

Actually it is not that hard, obesity and being diabetic are now causes. There is a ton of abuse in the system.

Redrose
06-03-2015, 09:14 PM
My former family doctor in Florida went to prison because he was bilking Medicare and supplying false diagnoses for SSD. He was doubling billing and sending false bills.

It happens alot and I have no pity for the people scamming the system. My SIN is on SSD due to a bad truck accident. He had his face crushed, major surgery there, they had to pull his face down to fix his broken eye sockets and two major back surgeries, that left him unable to walk. He was 29 when he was hurt. He was in the hospital months. It took him 4.5years to be approved for SSD. Hundreds of pages of redundant forms. He was a legitimate case. 54 months to get approved with a lawyer too. There are too many frauds stressing the system which makes it worse for the really needy people.

Common
06-03-2015, 10:55 PM
If you apply for disability social security and your lawyer and a judge conspire to defraud medicare by getting you approved so they can get thier automatic payday. To me that doesnt make the applicants guilty of anything.

Professor Peabody
06-03-2015, 11:28 PM
By David Edwards

Every person who received a letter is a former client of Floyd County lawyer Eric C. Conn, who the government suspects of using fraudulent information (http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Eric-C-Conn-targeted-in-60-Minutes-report-226821021.html) to secure the benefits.

Comical they all go to a cheese log lawyer who appears to be fleecing them of their money, yet they didn't get a fair hearing? Moral of the story: Don't use fraudulent information to screw the taxpayers.

Redrose
06-04-2015, 01:36 AM
Comical they all go to a cheese log lawyer who appears to be fleecing them of their money, yet they didn't get a fair hearing? Moral of the story: Don't use fraudulent information to screw the taxpayers.

He has the right name, Conn.

Redrose
06-04-2015, 01:43 AM
If you apply for disability social security and your lawyer and a judge conspire to defraud medicare by getting you approved so they can get thier automatic payday. To me that doesnt make the applicants guilty of anything.

There are people who know they are not disabled. They go to those dirty lawyers who 'guide' them, tell them what to say and what not to say. They send them to 'their doctors' who will basically write anything for a diagnosis.

There are too many on SSD who have never had any surgery, or need for surgery, their disability is intangible.

CaCa

Mac-7
06-04-2015, 06:15 AM

They knew what was going on but went along with it to get the free money.

exotix
06-04-2015, 06:21 AM
What's the word from *Big Govt. is evil so kill it except for my taxpayer salary* Kentucky senators Paulie and McConnell ?

Mac-7
06-04-2015, 06:25 AM
What's the word from *Big Govt. is evil so kill it except for my taxpayer salary* Kentucky senators Paulie and McConnell ?

You have republicans mixed up with no-government anarchists.

Repubs support government just not as much of it as liberal democrats.

exotix
06-04-2015, 06:32 AM
You have republicans mixed up with no-government anarchists.

Repubs support government just not as much of it as liberal democrats.
In other words, weed out your own for suicide.

Mac-7
06-04-2015, 06:33 AM
In other words, weed out your own for suicide.

Huh?

exotix
06-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Huh?Well say for instance I'm watching Lindsey Graham on the Morning Schmucko right now explaining how to wage perpetual war in Iraq and the Middle East.

Simpy eliminate social security while maintaining austerity & sequestration.

Wake up America.

Mac-7
06-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Well say for instance I'm watching Lindsey Graham on the Morning Schmucko right now explaining how to wage perpetual war in Iraq and the Middle East.

Simpy eliminate social security while maintaining austerity & sequestration.

Wake up America.

I don't see any connection between that and cheaters who scam the SSD system.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Having just gone through the process of getting someone on SSI I can tell you the system is wholly and utterly corrupt. I won't go into details for obvious reasons. And if you have to file, expect your first application to be denied. If you keep with it and do what is needed (divest of assets) you will get it.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 07:05 AM
I don't see any connection between that and cheaters scam the SSD system.

That is because there isn't. Exo is either insane (but harmless), or a super genius that can't relate to normals. I haven't decided yet.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 07:17 AM
They were determined to have gotten their eligibility fraudulently.

If they're not eligible, they're not eligible. The fact that they want to off themselves is not the federal government's responsibility or taxpayers for that matter.

exotix
06-04-2015, 07:24 AM
I don't see any connection between that and cheaters who scam the SSD system.
That is because there isn't. Exo is either insane (but harmless), or a super genius that can't relate to normals. I haven't decided yet.
Again, notice how the GOP thinks ... why spend Big Govt. money on podunks who are better off dead ... when you can spend it to kill off our boys in Iraq ... again.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 07:29 AM
At least they saved the state the money for fraud prosecutions and jail time.
By David Edwards

PolWatch
06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
One of my brothers had asbestos (he was a welder), high blood pressure & heart disease. He continued working until he had to have surgery for a ruptured colon. He did not qualify for any sort of assistance because he had worked until the emergency surgery. He lived with us and we paid his health insurance or he would have been without insurance. It took 6 months for him to be approved for disability. He was never denied because there was no question of being able to work. I hate to think of what anyone who has a situation that is questioned goes through.

PattyHill
06-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Actually it is not that hard, obesity and being diabetic are now causes. There is a ton of abuse in the system.

I've known people who have gotten on to it; it was very difficult. Maybe my state is harder than yours.

PattyHill
06-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Having just gone through the process of getting someone on SSI I can tell you the system is wholly and utterly corrupt. I won't go into details for obvious reasons. And if you have to file, expect your first application to be denied. If you keep with it and do what is needed (divest of assets) you will get it.

SSI and disability are two different things, by the way; I'm sure you know that, just mentioning for others reading this thread. You don't have to divest assets for soc sec disability.

But it does take appeals; rarely do people get it on their first application.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
SSI and disability are two different things, by the way; I'm sure you know that, just mentioning for others reading this thread. You don't have to divest assets for soc sec disability.

Correct.

Disability is for people under the age of retirement who have... disabilities, go figure.

And it's one of the most fraudulent programs in history. Private insurance agencies do a decent job in curbing claim fraud and when the federal government finally does it people bitch.

This is why taxation is theft. You want to support fraud, you pay for it then.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Yes, we were doing several applications at once.

MisterVeritis
06-04-2015, 04:42 PM
I am not surprised.

Redrose
06-04-2015, 08:34 PM

My SIN was told by the lawyers that he had to be denied twice by SS before the lawyers would even take his case. There are several months between denials.

PattyHill
06-04-2015, 08:36 PM
My SIN was told by the lawyers that he had to be denied twice by SS before the lawyers would even take his case. There are several months between denials.

I don't know what a "sin" is.

Susan B. Anthony
06-04-2015, 08:38 PM
I think Alaska has the highest suicide rate, and who can blame them?

Rufus
06-04-2015, 09:02 PM
We just flushed 10 TRILLION dollars in the middle east toilet, yet act like 900 peoples benefits are going to break the bank.

Redrose
06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't know what a "sin" is.

Sorry, SIL son in law. I type on my phone sometimes and mess up.

MisterVeritis
06-04-2015, 09:10 PM
We just flushed 10 TRILLION dollars in the middle east toilet, yet act like 900 peoples benefits are going to break the bank.
Another liberal? Fraud is fraud.

Rufus
06-04-2015, 11:28 PM
sure it is, but it's like putting a band aid on your knee while blood is spurting from your jugular.

Another liberal? Fraud is fraud.

donttread
06-05-2015, 04:47 AM

We'll never know will we?

Mac-7
06-05-2015, 06:10 AM
We'll never know will we?

Why wouldn't they kill themselves after the hearing too?