PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand on the continuuim?

donttread
06-05-2015, 06:29 PM
1) Between total straight up imperialism and isolationism ( For me it's non-interventionism)
2) Nation spending and debt between business as usual and cutting up the government's credit cards (I'm for the later
3) Incest as usual between government regulatory organizations, industry and "K Street" to killing the mega corpos ( I'm for the later
4) From even tighter drug laws possibly with the death penalty for possession to a total end to prohibition ( again I'm for the later)
5) Attack ISIS and whatever terrorist groups follow that attack immediately in multiple countries at once to staying the fuck out of it ( I'm for the later again
6) From total free trade everywhere with anyone to full out protectionism. ( I'm for tariffs against low wage nations or nations that tariff our goods and against the long distance movement of daily staples)
7) Between single payer health care to total fake free market control of health care . ( I'm for a combination of basic healthcare for all with choice for those who produce
8) Between taxing the rich more to taxing them less to my favorite a total overhaul of our control code to a graduated consumption tax.
9) Between unlimited individual and corporate campaign contributions to low level public funding of federal elections for multiple parties ( my choice)
10) Between current non action on immigration and shooting them at the border. I'm for deportation on sight myself

Peter1469
06-05-2015, 06:55 PM
1. Realism / Realpolitik

1) Between total straight up imperialism and isolationism ( For me it's non-interventionism)
2) Nation spending and debt between business as usual and cutting up the government's credit cards (I'm for the later
3) Incest as usual between government regulatory organizations, industry and "K Street" to killing the mega corpos ( I'm for the later
4) From even tighter drug laws possibly with the death penalty for possession to a total end to prohibition ( again I'm for the later)
5) Attack ISIS and whatever terrorist groups follow that attack immediately in multiple countries at once to staying the fuck out of it ( I'm for the later again
6) From total free trade everywhere with anyone to full out protectionism. ( I'm for tariffs against low wage nations or nations that tariff our goods and against the long distance movement of daily staples)
7) Between single payer health care to total fake free market control of health care . ( I'm for a combination of basic healthcare for all with choice for those who produce
8) Between taxing the rich more to taxing them less to my favorite a total overhaul of our control code to a graduated consumption tax.
9) Between unlimited individual and corporate campaign contributions to low level public funding of federal elections for multiple parties ( my choice)
10) Between current non action on immigration and shooting them at the border. I'm for deportation on sight myself

donttread
06-05-2015, 07:25 PM
1. Realism / Realpolitik

So statism?

Peter1469
06-05-2015, 07:39 PM
So statism?

No.

Realism / Realpolitik (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/493161/realpolitik).
realpolitik, politics based on practical objectives rather than on ideals. The word does not mean “real” in the English sense but rather connotes “things”—hence a politics of adaptation to things as they are. Realpolitik thus suggests a pragmatic, no-nonsense view and a disregard for ethical considerations. In diplomacy it is often associated with relentless, though realistic, pursuit of the national interest.

Mister D
06-05-2015, 09:40 PM
So statism?

Statism doesn't signify anything meaningful.

donttread
06-06-2015, 08:46 AM
No.

Realism / Realpolitik (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/493161/realpolitik).
realpolitik, politics based on practical objectives rather than on ideals. The word does not mean “real” in the English sense but rather connotes “things”—hence a politics of adaptation to things as they are. Realpolitik thus suggests a pragmatic, no-nonsense view and a disregard for ethical considerations. In diplomacy it is often associated with relentless, though realistic, pursuit of the national interest.

My bad, you actually meant doing what we want, to whom we want, when we want. Why didn't you just say "bully with sociopathic tendencies"

Peter1469
06-06-2015, 09:00 AM
My bad, you actually meant doing what we want, to whom we want, when we want. Why didn't you just say "bully with sociopathic tendencies"

Because that isn't what I meant.

I said what I meant. It is a fairly well known view of international relations.

Chris
06-06-2015, 09:00 AM
I'll try to answer each, though some are false dichotomies.

Non-interventionism.

Cut up government. That will reduce spending.

Kill government to kill mega corps.

End prohibition.

Let the ME solve their own problems.

Free trade.

Real free market healthcare.

No taxes.

Unlimited but transparent. Criminalize political favors.

Close borders to all but private invitation.

donttread
06-07-2015, 07:10 AM
We have some views in common, different approaches but a healthy distrust of government in common

Peter1469
06-07-2015, 08:09 AM
2. End deficit spending. Default on all debt held by the Federal Reserve and disband the Fed. Print Green Backs.

donttread
06-07-2015, 09:59 AM
2. End deficit spending. Default on all debt held by the Federal Reserve and disband the Fed. Print Green Backs.

Also good ideas

Peter1469
06-07-2015, 10:02 AM
3. Create two classes of business regulation: for small businesses not much. Safety stuff. Discrimination stuff. For large corporations, strict rules along the lines of what we have now.

Reason: the free market effectively governs small businesses. Large corporations where the managers have less than 100% skin in the game- not so much.

Chris
06-07-2015, 10:06 AM
We have some views in common, different approaches but a healthy distrust of government in common

That's where it starts. And it's getting worse...

http://i.snag.gy/RUJGn.jpg

Public Trust in Government: 1958-2014 (http://www.people-press.org/2014/11/13/public-trust-in-government/)