PDA

View Full Version : U.S. frees hundreds of Cuban criminals because Havana won’t take them back

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 04:53 PM
U.S. frees hundreds of Cuban criminals because Havana won’t take them back

Hundreds with ‘Zadvydas cases’ refused by their home countries

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Hundreds of Cuban criminals are released onto the streets of the U.S. every year because that nation won’t take them back — even though the Obama administration is trying to broker a more open relationship with the communist island nation.

It’s a quirk of immigration law known as “Zadvydas cases,” after a 2001 Supreme Court ruling that said the government cannot detain immigrants indefinitely if their home countries won’t take them back.

Cuba, China and Vietnam regularly top the list, but even some countries that are supposed to be closer partners, such as Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, are refusing to quickly accept some of their citizens whom the U.S. is trying to deport.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/9/immigrants-with-criminal-records-go-free-in-us-bec/

Isn't that great, other countries can simply empty out their prisons of criminals and dump them on us, then refuse to take them back. How does that work?

In 2013 the following countries received U.S. Foreign Aid in the amount of:

Cuba: $101,240,000
El Salvador: $171,370,000
Guatamala: $494,160,000
Honduras: $1,170,550,000
Vietnam: $4,084,770,000

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/DT.ODA.ALLD.CD

What is wrong with the people that run our country? The first time they refused to take back a deportee, their President/Prime Minister or what ever they're called should receive the following letter.

"To whom it may concern,

Due to your refusal to take back your own citizens being deported from the United States, your U.S. Foreign Aid will now be $0.0 from now on for a period of one year per your5 citizen refused. Thank you!

Have a nice day."

The arrogance is astounding and even MORE astounding is the fact we continue to give them money while they do so.

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 04:54 PM
What was their crime?

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 05:44 PM
What was their crime?

Burglar, robbers, rapists and drug offenders, the same crimes that are illegal here.

magicmike
06-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Burglar, robbers, rapists and drug offenders, the same crimes that are illegal here.

Cite?

exotix
06-10-2015, 05:54 PM
I suspect we'll see Rubio and Cruz outrage on this development ..

Susan B. Anthony
06-10-2015, 06:12 PM
The Mariel Boatlift called.

It wants Jimmy Carter back.

Calypso Jones
06-10-2015, 06:15 PM
What was their crime?

it didn't matter. Some were crazy. It was done to cause havoc on the US mainland. Castro thought it was funny.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I suspect we'll see Rubio and Cruz outrage on this development ..

Well, you sure would never object to adding more criminals to the population.

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Cite?

I didn't write the OP article, ask the author.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Cite?

He already did.

sheesh

magicmike
06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
I didn't write the OP article, ask the author.

He already did.

sheesh

I suspect it was the two of you who didn't read the article. Nowhere in it does it state the specific crimes committed. Neither did you mention the efforts of the other countries to resolve the problem.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Like he said, take it up with the author. If you have something to counter it, good.

besides, the underlying crime is important how? They are criminals from outside our borders.

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 07:13 PM
I suspect it was the two of you who didn't read the article. Nowhere in it does it state the specific crimes committed. Neither did you mention the efforts of the other countries to resolve the problem.

I'm sure you can post an article that proves what I posted wrong........can't you?

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Like he said, take it up with the author. If you have something to counter it, good.

besides, the underlying crime is important how? They are criminals from outside our borders.

The crime matters because of the constitution. If their only crime is emigrating here illegally, then the SCOTUS ruled correctly, the federal government cannot detain them indefinitely without cause.

donttread
06-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Isn't that great, other countries can simply empty out their prisons of criminals and dump them on us, then refuse to take them back. How does that work?

In 2013 the following countries received U.S. Foreign Aid in the amount of:

Cuba: $101,240,000
El Salvador: $171,370,000
Guatamala: $494,160,000
Honduras: $1,170,550,000
Vietnam: $4,084,770,000

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/DT.ODA.ALLD.CD

What is wrong with the people that run our country? The first time they refused to take back a deportee, their President/Prime Minister or what ever they're called should receive the following letter.

"To whom it may concern,

Due to your refusal to take back your own citizens being deported from the United States, your U.S. Foreign Aid will now be $0.0 from now on for a period of one year per your5 citizen refused. Thank you!

Have a nice day."

The arrogance is astounding and even MORE astounding is the fact we continue to give them money while they do so.

Wait a minute. We gave foreign aid to Cuba before taking them off the list of nations that harbor terrorist or ending trade and travel restrictions? How batshit crazy is our government?

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 07:39 PM
The crime matters because of the constitution. If their only crime is emigrating here illegally, then the SCOTUS ruled correctly, the federal government cannot detain them indefinitely without cause.

They are criminals who are citizens of another country. Send them back, don't turn them loose on our streets. If Cuba won't take them back, send them back anyway. Pass them back through Guantanamo.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2015, 07:41 PM
In other words they are democrats.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2015, 07:42 PM
They are criminals who are citizens of another country. Send them back, don't turn them loose on our streets. If Cuba won't take them back, send them back anyway. Pass them back through Guantanamo.
We have several very large bodies of water neary our country. If no one will take them the water will.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
We have several very large bodies of water neary our country. If no one will take them the water will.

Take them to Guantanamo and walk them through the gate. It's an easy fix.

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 08:41 PM

If their only crime was immigrating here illegally, why would their home country refuse to take them back?

Professor Peabody
06-10-2015, 08:42 PM
In other words they are democrats.

Well.....yea!

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 08:43 PM

So send them back to Cuba regardless of the Cuban government's wishes. Send them to Canada. Send them to Madagascar. Send them to the moon, I don't give a shit. Just don't detain them indefinitely, because that's illegal, unconstitutional, and highly immoral.

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 08:43 PM

That's called murder.

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
If their only crime was immigrating here illegally, why would their home country refuse to take them back?

Beats me. Cuba has economic issues, maybe they would be a drag on the economy.

Not my problem. If they didn't commit a crime in America, we have no right, constitutionally or legally, to detain them indefinitely. If their only crime committed in America was crossing the border illegally, we still don't have the right, constitutionally or legally, to detain them indefinitely.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
So send them back to Cuba regardless of the Cuban government's wishes.

I agree.

Captain Obvious
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Not my problem. If they didn't commit a crime in America, we have no right, constitutionally or legally, to detain them indefinitely. If their only crime committed in America was crossing the border illegally, we still don't have the right, constitutionally or legally, to detain them indefinitely.

You would think, diplomatically, countries would be required to take their citizens back.

Common Sense
06-10-2015, 08:51 PM
You would think, diplomatically, countries would be required to take their citizens back.

Maybe severing diplomatic relations with them 60 years ago has something to do with it.

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 08:54 PM

I'm sure countries we have better diplomatic relations with would take them back, but we've kinda fucked over Cuba in a lot of ways over the last 50 years, and not everyone in the world has short memories like Americans.

Captain Obvious
06-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Maybe severing diplomatic relations with them 60 years ago has something to do with it.

Fair point, did it?

Which leads to the question, if these countries are trying to mend those fences, isn't this a minor setback?

zelmo1234
06-10-2015, 09:05 PM

No it does not, they are not US citizens. Constitution does not apply

Green Arrow
06-10-2015, 09:06 PM

That is incorrect.

*EDIT* But even if it was correct, it's still illegal.

kilgram
06-11-2015, 02:02 AM
The only 'crime' I am observing is going to USA without the right papers. I don't see in the article that is talking about real crimes, because if they committed them, they would not be deported, they would stay in prison 😃.

kilgram
06-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Wow, exactly this shit is what my fascist acquaintances say. Same words. You would befriend them very well.😃

kilgram
06-11-2015, 02:10 AM
Is nice to see the true faces of the conservative.

Peter1469
06-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Put them on a plane. Fly to Cuba, land, empty the plane, take off.

Done.

donttread
06-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Wait a minute. We gave foreign aid to Cuba before taking them off the list of nations that harbor terrorist or ending trade and travel restrictions? How batshit crazy is our government?

Is there a list somewhere of countries we DON'T GIVE MONEY AND OR WEAPONS to?

Captain Obvious
06-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Put them on a plane. Fly to Cuba, land, empty the plane, take off.

Done.

Don't even land, low parachute drop in coastal waters.

MisterVeritis
06-11-2015, 11:23 AM
That's called murder.
We can let them go in a way pleasing to nearly everybody.

MisterVeritis
06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow, exactly this $#@! is what my fascist acquaintances say. Same words. You would befriend them very well.
Why thank you. We can let them go in a way that will please nearly everyone. Just let them go in the water a few miles off the coast of Cuba.

Professor Peabody
06-12-2015, 03:44 AM

We could deport them but their home countries refuse to take them back. I think we should deposit them on the beach in their home country and bid the adios.

Professor Peabody
06-12-2015, 03:48 AM
The only 'crime' I am observing is going to USA without the right papers. I don't see in the article that is talking about real crimes, because if they committed them, they would not be deported, they would stay in prison .

Why would their home country refuse to take them back if the only crime committed was entering the U.S. illegally?

kilgram
06-12-2015, 04:23 AM
Why would their home country refuse to take them back if the only crime committed was entering the U.S. illegally?
Because if they committed any other crime firstly it woud be mentioned in the op.

Mini Me
06-12-2015, 05:31 PM
No problem if they all stay in Miami.

What happens in Miami, stays in Miami!

Professor Peabody
06-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Because if they committed any other crime firstly it woud be mentioned in the op.

Those countries are so backwards in their record keeping how would you know that? If what you say is true post some proof.

kilgram
06-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Those countries are so backwards in their record keeping how would you know that? If what you say is true post some proof.
Proof? You must prove they are criminals. I didn't know we went back to Middle Ages.