PDA

View Full Version : Income tax Fraud

patrickt
07-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I think I fell victim Income Tax Identity Fraud this year. My tax preparer said I could not efile my taxes because tax forms with my SS number had already been filed. So far, all that has meant is I had to get the forms and sign them. Since I live in Mexico that wasn't simple or inexpensive.

As Eileen Ambrose of the Baltimore Sun (http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/taxpayers-hit-hurdles-after-identity-theft/article_bdb64345-d07a-592a-8184-b8a46da937b1.html)explains, once a fraudster has someone's Social Security number, all they have to do is "make up W-2 information, submit a return before the legitimate taxpayer files and receive a refund directly deposited on a debit card."

Why would I post this in the Democrat forum? Well, they are the party of identity fraud, aren't they? Efforts to stamp out this Taxpayer identity fraud will be vigorously fought just like they do with Voter Identity Fraud. The government could insist that the refund or benefit be deposited in a legitimate bank account but that would, wait for it, discriminate against Democrats, wouldn't it?

Trinnity
07-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Refund on a debit card?

Peter1469
07-23-2012, 07:28 AM
The refund would be to a bank account; the debit card would be linked to that account.

Good luck getting the IRS to fix this mess. If you have the option, I would adjust your W-4 so that I you are not getting a refund. That would solve at least part of the problem.

patrickt
07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
I haven't gotten a refund in twenty years. I'm retired, old, and I always owe a few hundred dollars on income from some investment accounts. Still anything involving the IRS and/or identity theft is worrying. It's especially worrying since my tax liability extends many years after my death and I don't want a mess for my children.

Peter1469
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
File your tax return yourself and force the IRS to deal with it.

patrickt
07-23-2012, 08:06 AM
File your tax return yourself and force the IRS to deal with it.

I have filed but keep in mind I live in Mexico. I can't send my tax papers to the IRS via UPS, because it's illegal, and dealing with both the Mexican post office and the U.S. Postal Service introduces risks out of my control but totally my responsibility.

Peter1469
07-23-2012, 08:08 AM
good luck getting the matter fixed.

bladimz
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I think I fell victim Income Tax Identity Fraud this year. My tax preparer said I could not efile my taxes because tax forms with my SS number had already been filed. So far, all that has meant is I had to get the forms and sign them. Since I live in Mexico that wasn't simple or inexpensive.

As Eileen Ambrose of the Baltimore Sun (http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/taxpayers-hit-hurdles-after-identity-theft/article_bdb64345-d07a-592a-8184-b8a46da937b1.html)explains, once a fraudster has someone's Social Security number, all they have to do is "make up W-2 information, submit a return before the legitimate taxpayer files and receive a refund directly deposited on a debit card."

Why would I post this in the Democrat forum? Well, they are the party of identity fraud, aren't they? Efforts to stamp out this Taxpayer identity fraud will be vigorously fought just like they do with Voter Identity Fraud. The government could insist that the refund or benefit be deposited in a legitimate bank account but that would, wait for it, discriminate against Democrats, wouldn't it?Without politicizing the situation, the exact same thing happened to me this year. I still have don't understand how the fraudster can use my SS without having to also supply the name (my name) associated with that number. No one seems to be able to answer that to my satisfaction.

Peter1469
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Without politicizing the situation, the exact same thing happened to me this year. I still have don't understand how the fraudster can use my SS without having to also supply the name (my name) associated with that number. No one seems to be able to answer that to my satisfaction.
Any luck getting it resolved?

Mainecoons
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Without politicizing the situation, the exact same thing happened to me this year. I still have don't understand how the fraudster can use my SS without having to also supply the name (my name) associated with that number. No one seems to be able to answer that to my satisfaction.

Are you suggesting our wonderful IRS doesn't have the brains to even get a name with an SS#?

This is the government you, the fool, want to give more money and power too.

You can't even get it when it is as close to home as this.

bladimz
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Are you suggesting our wonderful IRS doesn't have the brains to even get a name with an SS#?

No, but if i were going to suggest anything, it would be that you pull your head out and wash up.

bladimz
07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
good luck getting the matter fixed.Yes, we had to jump a few hoops and sign a lot of papers and, get this, i had to go to the local police and prove that i was me. But, i still haven't received my return.

Mainecoons
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I still have don't understand how the fraudster can use my SS without having to also supply the name (my name) associated with that number. No one seems to be able to answer that to my satisfaction.

I know this is pretty complicated for a document scanning expert but MAYBE it is because your "friends" at the IRS didn't bother to check the name against the number??

Nice self portrait BTW. Was that one taken in your econ class at college? Sure would explain a lot about your grasp of the subject.

:grin:

Peter1469
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM

This is the government you, the fool, want to give more money and power too.

You can't even get it when it is as close to home as this.

And provide health care.