PDA

View Full Version : Senate Salvages Obama Trade Deal

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Senate salvages Obama trade deal (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/senate-trade-agenda-119326.html?ml=tl_7)

With no votes to spare, the Senate salvaged President Barack Obama’s trade agenda on Tuesday, putting a measure to give him enhanced powers to strike free trade deals on track to be signed into law by the end of the week.

But the lead-up to the decisive vote exposed serious friction between the two parties over the chamber’s next big problem: the imminent shutdown of a government financial institution that conservatives despise, the Export-Import Bank.

The trade bill advanced by a 60-37 margin, with the minimum votes needed to break a Democratic-led filibuster against so-called Trade Promotion Authority. Thirteen Democrats sided with GOP leaders on the vote, and five Republicans, including presidential contenders Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky, voted against the legislation.

Rand Paul once again continues to be one of few Republicans with the temerity to stand up for what is right.

And fifteen Democrats elected to shaft their constituents and support this bad deal and the vast majority of Republicans.

MisterVeritis
06-23-2015, 06:27 PM
We need a new party. The tyranny is essentially complete.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 06:29 PM

There are several third parties to choose from.

Bob
06-23-2015, 06:35 PM
So did Ted Cruz.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 06:40 PM
So did Ted Cruz.

After he supported it in May.

Rand Paul, by contrast, opposed it both times.

MisterVeritis
06-23-2015, 06:42 PM
We do not need a kook party. We need a real party to replace the Republican Party.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
We do not need a kook party. We need a real party to replace the Republican Party.

Which third party is a kook party, exactly? The Constitution Party sounds like all of the GOP's "true conservatives."

MisterVeritis
06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Which third party is a kook party, exactly? The Constitution Party sounds like all of the GOP's "true conservatives."
So far all of them have been.

Bob
06-23-2015, 06:45 PM
After he supported it in May.

Rand Paul, by contrast, opposed it both times.

Ahh soooooooooooooooooo

Just what do you object to in the proposed act?

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Ahh soooooooooooooooooo

Just what do you object to in the proposed act?

I object to the trade deal, and I object to the President being given authority to approve a trade deal without Congress. That is not within the President's constitutionally-granted authority.

Bob
06-23-2015, 07:19 PM
I object to the trade deal, and I object to the President being given authority to approve a trade deal without Congress. That is not within the President's constitutionally-granted authority.

What happened to Ryan's deal?

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 07:29 PM
What happened to Ryan's deal?

What deal are you referring to?

Bob
06-23-2015, 07:33 PM
What deal are you referring to?

Ryan said his deal makes it up to Congress to approve the deal. That it promises Obama can't get away not being transparent. That congress will ride herd on Obama like a rodeo bull rider. He wants Obama controlled.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Ryan said his deal makes it up to Congress to approve the deal. That it promises Obama can't get away not being transparent. That congress will ride herd on Obama like a rodeo bull rider. He wants Obama controlled.

Paul Ryan?

Bob
06-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Paul Ryan?

Paul Ryan He can be seen on Cspan saying that.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Paul Ryan He can be seen on Cspan saying that.

I understand that he said that, but he's the one that sponsored the "Fast Track" bill that would give the President authority to approve a trade deal without Congressional approval of said deal.

Bob
06-23-2015, 07:48 PM
I understand that he said that, but he's the one that sponsored the "Fast Track" bill that would give the President authority to approve a trade deal without Congressional approval of said deal.

I would not say that. Ryan speaking in public to the floor wants total control over Obama.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:04 PM
I would not say that. Ryan speaking in public to the floor wants total control over Obama.

And yet he sponsored a bill that would give the president authority to approve a trade deal without congress.

Bob
06-23-2015, 08:14 PM
And yet he sponsored a bill that would give the president authority to approve a trade deal without congress.

I would need proof of that. Given what he said about a week ago.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I would need proof of that. Given what he said about a week ago.

The proof of that is the fact that he sponsored the "Fast Track" bill.

Bob
06-23-2015, 08:20 PM
The proof of that is the fact that he sponsored the "Fast Track" bill.

That is all it took. Now I know my eyes and ears lied to me when I watched him deliver the talk. Thanks for the help.

MisterVeritis
06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
The liars lied.

Obama gets dictatorial powers. End.

Peter1469
06-23-2015, 10:26 PM

Some of us have been saying this for a long time....

Bob
06-23-2015, 11:21 PM
The system will corrupt them all. You can swap congressmen but not the lobbyists.

Bob
06-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Kill the myth what Ryan did

This is the truth as I told this forum

Ryan Floor Statement: Enacting TPA Is Critical for Our Economy
Remarks as Prepared for Delivery

June 18, 2015
WASHINGTON — Today, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) delivered the following floor statement in support of H.R. 2146, the Trade Priorities and Accountability Act.

“Welcome back, everyone. I have to admit, I’m disappointed that we have to be here today. Last week a bipartisan majority stepped up to pass trade promotion authority. That vote showed that Republicans and Democrats can still come together to do what is right for the country. It was a vote that I’m very proud of.
“Unfortunately, many of our friends on the other side of the aisle would not stand with their president, and voted to sacrifice a program they support—a program that they asked for—in order to block our path.
“It was disappointing, but we’re not going to be discouraged. Enacting trade promotion authority is critical for our economy and for our national security, and so we’re going to get it done here today.
“Why do we need TPA? Because we need more trade. Ninety-five percent of the world’s consumers don’t live in America. They live in other countries. And if we want to make more things here and sell them over there, we need to tear down trade barriers that make American goods and services more expensive.
“We know that trade is good for our economy. One in five American jobs are tied to trade, and they pay, on average, 18 percent more.
“We also need more trade to bolster our foreign policy and national security. Stronger economic ties lead to stronger security ties. More market share means more influence. That’s why so many national security voices… former military leaders… former secretaries of state have all called on Congress to pass TPA. They understand what is at stake: no less than America’s credibility.
“Because the rules of the global economy are being written right now. The question is who is going to write them. Will it be the United States and our allies? Or will it be other nations that don’t share our values or our commitment to free enterprise and the rule of law.
“Our friends in Asia and Europe are getting ready to place their bets. They want to sign up for American-style free enterprise. But they need to know that the United States is going to stand strong as a reliable trading partner before they do. That’s what TPA is all about.
“So, how does it work? We’ve heard all kinds of misinformation spread by free trade opponents. Crazy stuff, really. Let me, one more time, explain what TPA is—and what it isn’t.
“TPA is a process, it’s not an agreement. It’s a process that gives us the best shot at getting good trade agreements. It’s a process—dating back decades—that Congress has used to insert itself into trade negotiations and provide accountability to the president.
“And this TPA has more accountability and transparency than ever before. It lays out 150 guidelines that the administration must follow when negotiating a trade deal. These are our priorities, and if the president wants an agreement to pass, he must address them.
“This TPA also requires the administration to consult with Congress during the negotiations: give us access to the text, provide timely briefings, even allow members to attend negotiating rounds as accredited advisors.
“And, finally, and perhaps most important: this TPA ensures that the American people can read an agreement long before anyone is asked to vote on it. Sixty days. An agreement must be public and posted online for 60 days before it can even be sent to Congress. This turns fast-track into slow-track.
“Mr. Speaker, it’s transparency; it’s effective oversight; and it’s accountability. Because if the president doesn’t meet these requirements, or doesn’t follow the negotiating objectives, we can turn off TPA for that agreement. We can cancel the vote, amend the agreement, to or stop it entirely. We, Congress, always have the final say, and no agreement takes effect unless we vote to allow it.
“This process, TPA, creates a pact between Congress and the administration that allows our trading partners to know that we speak with one voice. It allows them to make their best offers, knowing that as long as the administration follows TPA, Congress won’t try to re-write an agreement later. It gives America credibility. And we need it right now.
“Make no mistake, the world is watching us. The foreign policy failures of the last few years, not to mention the stunt pulled here last week, have capitals around the world wondering if America still has it. They want to know if we’re still willing to engage, willing to lead, or whether we’re in a nation in retreat and decline.
“Well, we’re here again today to answer that question, Mr. Speaker. America doesn’t retreat. America leads. And that’s why I urge my colleagues to vote to vote yes for TPA. Let’s get it done.”

​http://paulryan.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398336#.VYo0wxtViko

Common
06-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Why are any of you surprised ? Any major change to anything is always done BiPartisan so neither party takes the heat for it. If its bipartisan who do you blame.

Lame duck Potus are known for passing GARBAGE like this in their last term. They have nothing to lose.

Make no mistake, this bill is "ANOTHER" candy store for big corporations and wall street and a HUGE SCREWING AGAIN for working america. Screw Obama hes garbage and he is soley to blame for this

Common Sense
06-24-2015, 08:40 AM

That's not accurate.

The fast track process would give Obama authority to approve the deal and send it to congress for a yes no vote.

MisterVeritis
06-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Some of us have been saying this for a long time....
The question is how to do it.

Peter1469
06-24-2015, 09:45 AM
The question is how to do it.

Stop voting (D) and (R)

MisterVeritis
06-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Stop voting (D) and (R)
That will not create a new party.

Peter1469
06-24-2015, 11:08 AM
It will stop feeding the current corrupt system.

Cigar
06-24-2015, 11:09 AM

Self-Suppression ... Key to Victory

Tahuyaman
06-24-2015, 11:15 AM

None of which can attract anything other than a niche following.

MisterVeritis
06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
It does nothing to build a new party capable of winning.

Peter1469
06-24-2015, 11:35 AM
The point is to stop feeding the establishment.

Ransom
06-24-2015, 12:04 PM
The point is to stop feeding the establishment.

Rand Paul your candidate?