PDA

View Full Version : TN leaders: Remove Nathan Bedford Forrest bust from Capitol

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Damn, Storm Roof done set off an anti-Confederate nuke in this country.

TN leaders: Remove Nathan Bedford Forrest bust from Capitol (http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/22/tn-democrat-time-to-remove-forrest-bust-from-tn-capitol/29120011/)

The bust of a Confederate general and leading figure in the early days of the Ku Klux Klan should be removed from the Tennessee statehouse, top Tennessee Democrats and the state Republican Party chairman said Monday.

U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn., and state House Minority Leader Craig Fitzhugh, D-Ripley, said the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest has no place in the Tennessee statehouse.

"Symbols of hate should not be promoted by government. South Carolina should remove the Confederate battle flag from its Capitol, and Tennessee should remove the bust of Forrest inside our Capitol," Cooper said in a statement to The Tennessean.

PolWatch
06-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I think seeing all the pictures of Roof with the Confederate flag proves that it really is a symbol of hate for some. Its not just a bunch of anti-southern liberals whining.

Cletus
06-23-2015, 08:08 PM
I think seeing all the pictures of Roof with the Confederate flag proves that it really is a symbol of hate for some.

For some. Not for most.

Its not just a bunch of anti-southern liberals whining.

Of course it is.

sachem
06-23-2015, 08:09 PM
NBF do anything else of note? If not move his bust to a museum.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:09 PM
I think seeing all the pictures of Roof with the Confederate flag proves that it really is a symbol of hate for some. Its not just a bunch of anti-southern liberals whining.

Does that really justify removing all evidence of the Confederacy from everything, though?

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:10 PM
NBF do anything else of note? If not move his bust to a museum.

Not really, being a general in the Civil War was about it. I mean, he was one of the most brilliant cavalry commanders in history, but that's not really justification enough for a bust in the capitol.

sachem
06-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Does that really justify removing all evidence of the Confederacy from everything, though?Yes. They lost.

And I'm not biased because I am a northerner. http://downloadpolitics.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Yes. They lost.

And I'm not biased because I am a northerner. http://downloadpolitics.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

"They lost" but they are still part of our history.

sachem
06-23-2015, 08:17 PM
"They lost" but they are still part of our history.
That is why we have museums.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:18 PM
That is why we have museums.

Our government buildings tend to double as museums.

PolWatch
06-23-2015, 08:25 PM
The south's history is too tied up with things we need to remember but we certainly don't need to revere. While you mention that Forrest was a brilliant calvary officer....he is also credited (or blamed) for forming the KKK. To keep the bust in the capitol building admires him while conveniently forgetting the complete story.

The same contradiction is true of the flag. It did fly over battles in the Civil War but that was for less than 5 years. It has been used as a symbol of hatred for much longer than 5 years.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:28 PM
The south's history is too tied up with things we need to remember but we certainly don't need to revere. While you mention that Forrest was a brilliant calvary officer....he is also credited (or blamed) for forming the KKK. To keep the bust in the capitol building admires him while conveniently forgetting the complete story.

The same contradiction is true of the flag. It did fly over battles in the Civil War but that was for less than 5 years. It has been used as a symbol of hatred for much longer than 5 years.

For clarification, I wasn't defending Bedford's bust. I was just saying that other than the awesome cavalry bit, he didn't really do anything that justified a bust in the state capitol.

sachem
06-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Our government buildings tend to double as museums.Some do. I am sure they could find some one/thing else to display in the government buildings. The southern states have more history than just the Civil War.

PolWatch
06-23-2015, 08:32 PM
I suspect that bust was not placed in the capitol building until the 50's. That is when the Confederate flag was first raised over the SC state house. Brown v/s Board of Education caused the rebirth of southern defiance. In other words, it was a reaction to integration. Like George Wallace's "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever".

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 08:37 PM
I suspect that bust was not placed in the capitol building until the 50's. That is when the Confederate flag was first raised over the SC state house. Brown v/s Board of Education caused the rebirth of southern defiance. In other words, it was a reaction to integration. Like George Wallace's "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever".

Oddly enough, nobody actually knows when the bust was put in the state capitol, lol. All that is known is that it was in the late 70s during the administration of Gov. Ray Blanton (D).

For the record, Bedford renounced the KKK and spend the last years of his life advocating for the social and political advancement of blacks, interestingly enough.

PolWatch
06-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Oddly enough, nobody actually knows when the bust was put in the state capitol, lol. All that is known is that it was in the late 70s during the administration of Gov. Ray Blanton (D).

For the record, Bedford renounced the KKK and spend the last years of his life advocating for the social and political advancement of blacks, interestingly enough.

George Wallace did pretty much the same thing. Odd...isn't it? Men who made their reputation by advocating violence and Jim Crowe laws changed their minds.

Green Arrow
06-23-2015, 09:36 PM
George Wallace did pretty much the same thing. Odd...isn't it? Men who made their reputation by advocating violence and Jim Crowe laws changed their minds.

That's good, right?

Safety
06-23-2015, 09:44 PM

Trying to get right before god in their twillight years?

zelmo1234
06-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Well I think that it is going to be very important to remove George Washington and Thomas Jefferson from the history books they along with others owned slaves.

this is starting to be absolutely stupid. Should we not talk about the accomplishments of MLK because many times violence followed him? It is time for the people that are crying about all of this shit to get a good ass whooping

maineman
06-24-2015, 12:23 AM
again... the south hoisting the confederate battle flag is pretty ridiculous... they should rather hoist the white surrender flag cuz they got their asses kicked and were dragged back into the union with their tails between their legs. They fought a war... they lost. Losers.

zelmo1234
06-24-2015, 06:31 AM

Actually 61 was when it was raised. brought to you be the Democrats bye the bye.

zelmo1234
06-24-2015, 06:34 AM
You know what I find funny, is that the left wants to do away with anything and everything that has to do with the South and the Civil War.

However, we are still to use affirmative action, and other special treatment programs because of slavery? Go figure

PolWatch
06-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Actually 61 was when it was raised. brought to you be the Democrats bye the bye.

Makes sense....61 was when objections to the CRA really started to roll and the south was rife with symbols of defiance. It was before the south went republican. Pointing out it was during the time of the dem majority only emphasizes that the repubs didn't try to remove it either.

Archer0915
06-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Does that really justify removing all evidence of the Confederacy from everything, though?

Yes it is an agenda. History books will be rewritten as well. Those in power control truth. When something comes up against their truth, say historical fact, they destroy it. Much like Hitler did, but done better.

PolWatch
06-24-2015, 06:52 AM
How does moving items of historical significance to a museum consist of rewriting history?

Common
06-24-2015, 06:56 AM
To me this isnt a question of won or lost. This whole confederate flag thing and the south will rise again is ridiculous. The south is not going to rise again and win a war.

This is about AMERICA will rise again to me and the AMERICAN Flag.

PolWatch
06-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Saying its all about southern heritage requires ignoring that it was a battle flag for the Confederacy for considerably less time than it was used as a symbol of hatred. Ride through any southern city and notice where you see the flag displayed. I wasn't kidding when I said the local police use it as a landmark for meth labs. Its often a component in a style of landscaping that includes cars on blocks in the front yard.

Common
06-24-2015, 07:13 AM
You know what I find funny, is that the left wants to do away with anything and everything that has to do with the South and the Civil War.

However, we are still to use affirmative action, and other special treatment programs because of slavery? Go figure

No zelmo the south wants to be special and set apart from the rest of the country.

The south was never stand alone, when it tried it lost the war. There is no South and North, there is southern america and northern america.

Southerners want this special distinction thats not merited nor warranted. Be proud to be american

Archer0915
06-24-2015, 07:16 AM
No zelmo the south wants to be special and set apart from the rest of the country.

The south was never stand alone, when it tried it lost the war. There is no South and North, there is southern america and northern america.

Southerners want this special distinction thats not merited nor warranted. Be proud to be american

So black, muslims, gays... can do it but let a white person want anything that is not PC and they will be squashed.

Common
06-24-2015, 07:20 AM
So black, muslims, gays... can do it but let a white person want anything that is not PC and they will be squashed.

uh I dont know what your talking about. How does blacks and muslims have anything to do with the confederate flag that isnt the flag of our country.

Explain the similarities I really dont get what your saying

Archer0915
06-24-2015, 07:25 AM
uh I dont know what your talking about. How does blacks and muslims have anything to do with the confederate flag that isnt the flag of our country.

Explain the similarities I really dont get what your saying

How does a rainbow flag have anything to do with it? What do the black panthers trampling the US flag have to do with it? Fact is, it is those who love the stars and bars that are the staunchest defenders of the stars and stripes!