PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam war. What did it accomplish?

Lineman
06-25-2015, 11:31 AM
We were told the communists would use a victory there to spread communism around the world.

They won that war.

Has communism spread like a prairie fire since then?

The Sage of Main Street
06-25-2015, 11:52 AM
We were told the communists would use a victory there to spread communism around the world.

They won that war.

Has communism spread like a prairie fire since then? Like the Crusades, the Vietnam War made the enemy's momentum stall and that eventually caused the collapse of Communism. They had a few more victories and then everything started to implode.

Also, it caused Russia to get stuck in Afghanistan. The Communists there had told the Soviets, "Look at what America was willing to sacrifice for its side in Vietnam. Why can't you do the same for us?"

Ransom
06-25-2015, 12:18 PM
It accomplished much. It convinced the media it could dictate popular sentiment. It convinced many that American soldiers weren't heroic nor moral. It revealed a theme in American culture that I believe has slaughtered the American family. Called Commitment. We're less committed to family and community. Less committed to religion. Less committed to personal relationships. Less committed to work. Less committed to education. Less committed to taking care of our planet.

It accomplished no less than the beginning of media dominance on American culture.....I don't call it an accomplishment...more a reality. Anyone need proof, read this forum.

The Xl
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Murder, misery, and industry subsidization.

southwest88
06-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Which VN war do you mean? The French-VN War pre- & post-WWII? The US-VN War from 1954-1973? (I figure you don't mean the Sino-VN War - that one lasted a good 1,000 years, as I recall.)

Then there were the campaigns & skirmishes that VN fought against China & the incursion into Cambodia - I figure you don't mean those, either.

The Sage of Main Street
06-25-2015, 03:35 PM
It accomplished much. It convinced the media it could dictate popular sentiment. It convinced many that American soldiers weren't heroic nor moral. It revealed a theme in American culture that I believe has slaughtered the American family. Called Commitment. We're less committed to family and community. Less committed to religion. Less committed to personal relationships. Less committed to work. Less committed to education. Less committed to taking care of our planet.

It accomplished no less than the beginning of media dominance on American culture.....I don't call it an accomplishment...more a reality. Anyone need proof, read this forum. Just like the Germans after World War I, you believe we were "stabbed in the back." A rash commitment that selfishly excluded certain classes was what soured people on making commitments.

donttread
06-25-2015, 03:49 PM

They won that war.

Has communism spread like a prairie fire since then?

It solidified the government's ability to sell the sheep any war, anywhere, anytime. An option they use with increasing frequency

Peter1469
06-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Vietnam was a misapplication of the Containment Theory, but it did let our European allies know that we would fight for them if Russia invaded Western Europe. (I.e. wouldn't run.)

Lineman
06-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Well, my view of this is the US, by fighting wars for israel, and other european countries, has created a bunch of lazy countries who have become happily content to let US kids die fighting their wars for them.

The Sage of Main Street
06-26-2015, 08:30 AM
It solidified the government's ability to sell the sheep any war, anywhere, anytime. An option they use with increasing frequency Despite what both the boasting Left Wing media and the whining Right Wing media preach, the "anti-war" anti-troops protesters had no effect on our occupied government continuing to follow an incompetent and class-biased foreign policy.

Ransom
06-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Just like the Germans after World War I, you believe we were "stabbed in the back." A rash commitment that selfishly excluded certain classes was what soured people on making commitments.

The Germans invaded Belgium and France and got involved on several fronts, I can't see that being an analogy, people in Germany were beginning to starve.

We created a political movement, many defined themselves as anti-war platform, the Dem Party split as a result in the disaster that was their 1968 convention and primary.

We allowed politics to dictate war strategy, we allowed voices who hated their own country to dictate that war.....just like we allowed the Iraq War to be polluted.

And you can see this disease through our culture, Sage, a lack of commitment as far as we Americans are concerned isn't limited to the battlefield. Look to our marriage stats, the way women are treated in this country, how many children are neglected.