PDA

View Full Version : Whiney Eagle Scouts return their medals because the Boy Scouts have principles

texmaster
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
So some pro gay mafia bigoted far left zealots returned their eagle scout awards because the Boy Scouts refuse to give up their moral objections to homosexuals in scouts.

Just another example of how bigoted the far left is. Believe what we believe or else.

The Boy Scouts of America's stance of not allowing openly gay people to serve as troop leaders or members (http://yhoo.it/PEVpP8) has inspired several Eagle Scouts to return their hard-earned medals and renounce their membership.

Boing Boing (http://boingboing.net/) writer Maggie Koerth-Baker first posted a story (http://boingboing.net/2012/07/23/eagle-scouts-stand-up-to-the-b.html) about how her husband, Christopher Baker, a former Eagle Scout, returned his medal to the Boy Scouts of America. The post, which included Baker's letter to the BSA, drew a strong reaction from the Boing Boing community. So much so, that other former Eagle Scouts began returning their medals as well.

This is no small sacrifice on the part of the Scouts. Becoming an Eagle Scout is serious business that involves years of hard work, at a time in a person's life when goofing off is often more of a priority. Check out the official checklist (http://www.usscouts.org/advance/docs/Eagle.pdf). In Baker's letter, he wrote, "Today I am returning my Eagle Scout medal because I do not want to be associated with the bigotry for which it now stands. I hope that one day BSA stands up for all boys. It saddens me that until that day comes any sons of mine will not participate in the Boy Scouts."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/eagle-scouts-return-medals-over-organization-anti-gay-184508093.html

MMC
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Do you think it is hypocrisy? What do you think this says about Private organizations?

Mister D
07-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Nah, no bigotry or hypocrisy. If they feel that way then they should leave. They just shouldn't be surprised when the Scouts say good riddance.

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi, Mister D. Nice to see you back. :f_cheers:

Mister D
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Hello, Trin. :smiley:

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 01:36 PM
They got all the way through to Eagle - which is incredibly hard - and gave their Eagle status back?
They knew what the code of ethics were from the get go. Seems to me they should have come to there "senses" much sooner. What a waste of hard work.

Mister D
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
If that is their conviction that's fine with me. I agree though. It does seem kind of foolish but as long as they don't expect the Scouts to change their traditions to suit them I take no issue with them.

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Me either. I don't agree with what they did either, but they were entitled to do it. And what they've done won't change the Scout policy.

Mister D
07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Me either. I don't agree with what they did either, but they were entitled to do it. And what they've done won't change the Scout policy.

Nor should it. I still side with the Scouts and the right of free association but if this makes them feel empowered then great.

MMC
07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Nah, no bigotry or hypocrisy. If they feel that way then they should leave. They just shouldn't be surprised when the Scouts say good riddance.

I feel the same way as there Private organizations and they should be able to set their own standards and or Mission Statements as requisite to be a member. Kinda like the FreeMasons and even Martial Arts Schools.

They have a pages or aides program for kids to go to Washington DC and work and volunteer around Washington. Got dorms and the whole bit too. Imagine all those that took their kids out of the program once they found their kids had to go and work in Barney Franks office.

Mister D
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I feel the same way as there Private organizations and they should be able to set their own standards and or Mission Statements as requisite to be a member. Kinda like the FreeMasons and even Martial Arts Schools.

They have a pages or aides program for kids to go to Washington DC and work and volunteer around Washington. Got dorms and the whole bit too. Imagine all those that took their kids out of the program once they found their kids had to go and work in Barney Franks office.

lol

Captain Obvious
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Nor should it. I still side with the Scouts and the right of free association but if this makes them feel empowered then great.

Then you shouldn't have a problem with their tax exemption being revoked.

Goldie Locks
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Take it up with the SC.

Goldie Locks
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Do the BSA accept ex cons and pedophiles??? If not, is that discriminatory???

MMC
07-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Now that would be hitting Jesse Jackson and Al Sharptones below the belt. :punchballs:

Captain Obvious
07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Do the BSA accept ex cons and pedophiles??? If not, is that discriminatory???

Felons have reduced rights.

Goldie Locks
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Felons have reduced rights.

But they don't think they should have reduced rights and are fighting to have those rights restored and be like any other citizen. If successful, should they get to join along with convicted pedophiles? After all, didn't they pay their debt to society?

roadmaster
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I support the scouts and their beliefs. It's nice to see people not swaying and standing firm on their beliefs.

Peter1469
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Sounds like some gay members came out of the closet.

birddog
07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Sounds like some gay members came out of the closet.

Was one of them Obama?

Frogger
07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
It should be remembered that the Boy Scouts go caming overnight and sometimes for a week of longer. I am not homophobic but I would no more want a homosexual male in charge of my young boy than I would want a heterosexual male to be in charge of my young daughter in a similar situation.

Conley
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
It should be remembered that the Boy Scouts go caming overnight and sometimes for a week of longer. I am not homophobic but I would no more want a homosexual male in charge of my young boy than I would want a heterosexual male to be in charge of my young daughter in a similar situation.

You're right...Of course not, and anyone who's honest would agree with that for their kid

roadmaster
07-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Exactly, and you even have to watch some so called heterosexual men too with young men. You never know what's in the minds of people. I would not approve a homosexual man with my son that I didn't know. One of my kids uncle is one and I do trust him because all don't but even he says watch out for most. The best advise is to ask questions, talk to your kids and make sure these people are ok.

Captain Obvious
07-25-2012, 09:54 PM
So gay people are more likely to be child molesters than straight people?

Here's a concept - how about doing a fucking background check before unleashing these sexual predators, straight or gay, on our kids?

Conley
07-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Here's a concept - how about doing a fucking background check before unleashing these sexual predators, straight or gay, on our kids?

Yes, based on the numbers the most likely is that a straight male adult will take advantage of a girl than any other scenario. Background check would clear a ton of this issues.

However if you are going to be a stickler (no punning honest) and know someone is a homosexual, put gay guys in charge of the brownies and butch lesbos running the boy scouts. Problem solved.

roadmaster
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes, I am saying this. A study was done in the prisons and they came to this conclusion. Most admit they were molested by an older male when they were young.

patrickt
07-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I think the scouts have a perfect right to their position and I think the Eagle Scouts have a perfect right to withdraw from the organization if they disagree with the position. I do wonder how many will be like Sen. Kerry and return the medals and then later admit they didn't really return them. Sen. Kerry threw his medals over the White House fence in a public spectacle but then later he had them framed in his Senate office. Ooops.

Trinnity
07-26-2012, 05:04 AM

Here's a concept - how about doing a fucking background check before unleashing these sexual predators, straight or gay, on our kids?BSA does do a background check on every leader when they apply for a leadership position. The did one on me before I became an assistant Scout Master. My husband is on the troops committee and sometimes helps out on activities. He got one too.

Both of our sons are members of the troop. We respect the organization and I can tell you it's well organized and there's no slacking.

The BSA requires criminal background checks on all adult volunteers.
The BSA grants membership to an adult volunteer only after a national criminal background check is performed. The background checks are administered by LexisNexis, a nationally respected third party that also provides this service to local, state, and federal governments; educational institutions; and other nonprofits.
http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/BSAYouthProtection/BSA_Communications/Commitment_to_Youth_Protection.aspx

It's always good to be informed, isn't it?

roadmaster
07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Background checks are important for anyone working with the youth. I still believe in always talking to a son or daughter and explaining to them to watch out and never be embarrassed to let you know of any concerns they have. It's a known fact that many youth don't report abuse because they think somehow they are to blame. This goes with teachers, priest, neighbors ect.

Captain Obvious
07-26-2012, 04:07 PM
BSA does do a background check on every leader when they apply for a leadership position. The did one on me before I became an assistant Scout Master. My husband is on the troops committee and sometimes helps out on activities. He got one too.

Both of our sons are members of the troop. We respect the organization and I can tell you it's well organized and there's no slacking.

It's always good to be informed, isn't it?

Then that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the "all gay people will molest our children" concept, doesn't it?

patrickt
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Then that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the "all gay people will molest our children" concept, doesn't it?

Of course, no one has said, "...all gay people will molest our children...." have they? For some reason, you shifted from "So gay people are more likely to be child molesters than straight people?" to "...all gay people will molest our children..." And, actually that second one evades the issue. Gays are more likely than heterosexuals to be involved in same sex molestation. Heterosexuals are more likely, male or female, to be involved in child molestation with children of the opposite sex than are heterosexuals.

The evidence is quite clear. Not all gay men will molest young boys but they are far, far more likely to do so than are heterosexual males. Not all gay women will molest young girls but they are far, far more likely to do so than are heterosexual women. Heterosexual males are more likely to molest young girls and heterosexual women are more likely to molest young boys than are their homosexual counterparts. It's not that difficult to understand and not at all counter-intuitive.

But, to clarify. If you have a pool of 100 adult males. One is homosexual and 99 are heterosexual. Then you have a victim pool of one 14-year old boy. The one homosexual male is the most likely person in the pool of 100 adult males to molest the boy.

Lastly, people who are inclined to have sex with young boys or girls will seek our positions of trust with young boys or girls. That can be ministers or other church functionaries, youth directors in community or social groups, school teachers, and, yes, scout leaders. I dealt with some who were counselors for troubled teens, employees in child welfare, and foster parents.

Background checks are not very useful. Penn State isn't the only educational institution which has covered up sexual misconduct with children. I knew some men who were arrested in jurisdictions far from where they lived and worked and their employers and friends never knew of the arrests. Charges were plea bargained to minor offenses with unsupervised probation.

I know of one case where a group did check on a prospective youth director in their organization. They checked his police record and he'd never been arrested, his minister thought he was fine, he paid his bills on time, and his background check showed no problems. But, every kid in his neighborhood called him Weird Harold and knew he was a pervert. Kids aren't interviewed on background checks. A teacher who was arrested was known by all the kids in his junior high as Gay Bob and we found two other school districts who knew him as Gay Bob. We didn't pass him on to a fourth school district. We prosecuted. He pled guilty, did his time, and left the state. I'd be willing to bet he became known as Gay Bob in other school districts after he left our state.

Captain Obvious
07-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Sandusky could have been a scout master.

Hell, he supported a camp for foster kids.

Trinnity
07-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Sandusky could have been a scout master.

Hell, he supported a camp for foster kids.:lame:

Flamebaiting noted and properly dismissed.

KSigMason
07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
They have the right to allow whoever they want in to their group:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.