PDA

View Full Version : Bible-bangers aren't the brightest, study shows

AZFlyFisher
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6235265538_90889c2eb8.jpg

The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent, a new scientific study has found.

According to researchers, Christians - particularly fundamentalists who believe the Bible is God's word - have a lower IQ than those who are less religious.

A possible reason behind the finding was a tendency for more intelligent people to challenge religious claims, said one of the researchers, New Zealand psychologist Professor Tim Bates.

"If you believe in religion, you haven't really questioned things," he said. "Brighter people were less likely to feel that religion plays a dominant role in their life."

To reach the conclusion, researchers from the University of Edinburgh compared the results of responses from 2300 adults with varying levels of religious belief. They rated themselves on a scale of one to five in response to a range of statements about their spirituality, religious identification, practices, support, mindfulness and fundamentalism.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/education/news/article.cfm?c_id=35&objectid=10750898

"You know that IQ is a measure of intelligence and that smart means intelligent, right?" Mister D

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/4684-Women’s-IQ-scores-are-better-than-those-for-men?p=104457#post104457

Thank you Mister D for pointing that out. :grin:

AZFlyFisher
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Oops, sorry. Forgot the link. Here was the original article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/education/news/article.cfm?c_id=35&objectid=10750898

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the forum, AZFlyFisher.

Thanks, I had already added the link for you, because your PMs are not enabled and I couldn't contact you. No offense.

MMC
07-25-2012, 03:36 PM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4521295554478500&pid=1.7&w=156&h=154&c=7&rs=1

Greetings AZFLYFisher......Welcome to the Political Forums of the Rant! :yo2:

roadmaster
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
"If you believe in religion, you haven't really questioned things," he said. "Brighter people were less likely to feel that religion plays a dominant role in their life."

Wrong and I am a Christ follower. Many intelligent Dr's, nurses, and other professions such as Engineers belief in Christ. It's the ones who don't seek are the ones who are blind.

Captain Obvious
07-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I find it tasteless how everyone wants to shove their religious beliefs down everyone elses throats - both believers and non-believers.

Someone should do a study on why people are so insecure with their beliefs (or lack thereof) that they feel compelled to shout it over a fucking megaphone.

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a high IQ, a college degree and I've questioned pretty much everything. I'm also a Christian. I suspect this research is skewed by the sample used and a manifestation of a liberal or atheist agenda. Additionally I think the OP was meant to offend Christians which is not uncommon, especially on message boards. WHY did our newest member choose to start off with this topic?

Hmmmmm~

Nevertheless, I welcome him to the forum.

Peter1469
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I find it tasteless how everyone wants to shove their religious beliefs down everyone elses throats - both believers and non-believers.

Someone should do a study on why people are so insecure with their beliefs (or lack thereof) that they feel compelled to shout it over a fucking megaphone.

That is probably more true that the Fowl Atheist's (AZ) study.

Trinnity
07-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Someone should do a study on why people are so insecure with their beliefs (or lack thereof) that they feel compelled to shout it over a fucking megaphone.I never talk about it unless it comes up like it did here. I really don't care who's saved. You're on your own.

roadmaster
07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
WHY did ore newest member choose to start off with this topic?

Good question, but to him or her I am not a preacher. If you don't believe it's your choice but why try to cut down the ones who do?

Smartmouthwoman
07-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh good. Every forum needs a token atheist. They're more obsessed with (anti)religion than Southern Baptists are with revivals.

Preach on, lad. Rejecting the beliefs of 88% of the world's population makes you a regular Einstein. Can't wait to hear your next sermon.

Chris
07-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Hiya, AZ, we keep crossing paths--Around the Campfire, Campfire Soapbox, Fire and Ice, Congress--how you doing?

Goldie Locks
07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Oh good we have an atheist. Oh please tell us what you know for fact...not speculation but fact. Tell us exactly what it is that gives you a conscious??? Please tell us what determines right from wrong? Please tell us where those values come from.

AZFlyFisher
07-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Oh good we have an atheist. Oh please tell us what you know for fact...not speculation but fact. Tell us exactly what it is that gives you a conscious??? Please tell us what determines right from wrong? Please tell us where those values come from.

Sounds like a couple new threads. This one is about the correlation between low IQ and belief in The Bible. You picked some easy questions though.

AZFlyFisher
07-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Oh good. Every forum needs a token atheist. They're more obsessed with (anti)religion than Southern Baptists are with revivals.

Preach on, lad. Rejecting the beliefs of 88% of the world's population makes you a regular Einstein. Can't wait to hear your next sermon.

Oh, you're from Texas. Why am I not surprised?

:wink:

AZFlyFisher
07-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Hiya, AZ, we keep crossing paths--Around the Campfire, Campfire Soapbox, Fire and Ice, Congress--how you doing?

Into The Fire was my favorite. I'm doing great, thanks. Looking forward to checking out this forum. How are you?

AZFlyFisher
07-26-2012, 03:11 AM
I have a high IQ, a college degree and I've questioned pretty much everything. I'm also a Christian. I suspect this research is skewed by the sample used and a manifestation of a liberal or atheist agenda. Additionally I think the OP was meant to offend Christians which is not uncommon, especially on message boards. WHY did our newest member choose to start off with this topic?

Hmmmmm~

Thanks for the welcome, Trinnity, and thanks for addressing the topic. There's another study linking right wing conservatives to low IQ that explains why many don't fit the mold.

http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

A study of averages

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence andsocial conservatism (http://www.livescience.com/16746-conservatives-disgust-political-views.html), the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.
"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.
Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.
"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."
Nonetheless, there is reason to believe that strict right-wing ideology might appeal to those who have trouble grasping the complexity of the world.
"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

So there are lots of exceptions. However, if you read both studies, one can come to the conclusion that most right-wing fundamental Christians who are prejudiced probably have a low IQ.

Sometimes it's best to jump right in with a topic such as this one on a new forum (to me) to identify the very people we are discussing. I believe it's working!

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Wrong and I am a Christ follower. Many intelligent Dr's, nurses, and other professions such as Engineers belief in Christ. It's the ones who don't seek are the ones who are blind.

Averages . Statistical facts .
The worse news is that people who think they are contacted by voices , messengers and even Daddy God himself , are those who most suffer from brain lesions .
That is , have undiagnosed mental health challenges ( very PC ) .
Not that you are average , of course , or have brain lesions .

Trinnity
07-26-2012, 04:53 AM
AZFlyFisher, I have a question for you. Why is this topic important to you. Think about it and give me an honest answer. I'll wait.

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 05:17 AM

You lost me .
All I know is that around 2% of the UK attend Church on a regular basis and not all of those will be" believers ".
Therefore to reach your world average of 88% ( decimal point missing ?) that means, for example , 347.8 % of all Americans are Bible Bashers -- or something similar , somewhere else .

P.S. I think Einstein rejected the beliefs of 99.9999% of others , which is mainly why he was so successful .

roadmaster
07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
You lost me .
All I know is that around 2% of the UK attend Church on a regular basis and not all of those will be" believers ".
Therefore to reach your world average of 88% ( decimal point missing ?) that means, for example , 347.8 % of all Americans are Bible Bashers -- or something similar , somewhere else .

P.S. I think Einstein rejected the beliefs of 99.9999% of others , which is mainly why he was so successful .

You lost me on this one. Everyone that attends a quote Church building is not a believer, we are the Church. I don't feel the need to tell everyone in my job or wherever I am because if they can't tell I am by my fruits then I am not showing a good example. Most people know I am without saying a word. But most important He knows and that's all that matters to me. As far as the bashers, you can't take from me that is not yours for the taking.

Chris
07-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Einstein famously believed in Spinoza's God: "I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

Smartmouthwoman
07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh, you're from Texas. Why am I not surprised?

:wink:

Oh, you have a cartoon avatar! Why am I not surprised?

Let me guess... you voted for Obama too?

Smartmouthwoman
07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
You lost me .

Well here... let me help you.

The question is: How many people in the world believe in God?

As of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_believe_in_God_worldwide#ixzz21jxQ tpgE

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Smartmouthwoman;104871]Well here... let me help you.
The question is: How many people in the world believe in GodAs of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God." QUOTE

Not sure I am bowled over with that answer -- though thanks for replying .
Every God of every major religion I have heard of seems to be quite different in character and by believer perception . To lump all "believers " together as 'one God accepting ' doesn't seem to be very useful . That is , Your Christian God is not my Islam Allah etc .
I am sure there was a time when 95% of all people in the modern world believed that it was flat .However , without the empirical evidence to demonstrate it , that turned out a useless way of saying anything sensible about the world --- other than most people probably have a propensity to look for easy answers to very complex problems . There seems to be a parallel with belief in God .
It seems to be a great comfort to many as it provides the illusion that you have a first cause and theoretically an answer to all questions . When in fact , it simply serves to pose another series of questions all prefaced with , When , What and How , imo , which are ducked by believers who usually claim that their God is infinite and/ or eternal .
Regardless , the OP is about Bible "Bashers" and therefore just refers to the idea of a Christian God .
I suggest that this idea has taken a hell of a bashing itself with the revelation that Jesus was just an ordinary guy , born in the usual way and is not magically the Son of God in the pauline tradition of the all embracing Trinity . See Dead Sea Testaments and Qumran scrolls .
Perhaps christianity is just a nice comfortable tale which got things popular but is now somewhat past its sell buy date , imo .

Peter1469
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Sure it is fair to compare believers (in any god) to non believers, the way you set up the question.

Mister D
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
This flat Earth nonsense is a most persistent myth.

Smartmouthwoman
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Smartmouthwoman;104871]Well here... let me help you.
The question is: How many people in the world believe in GodAs of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God." QUOTE

Not sure I am bowled over with that answer -- though thanks for replying .
Every God of every major religion I have heard of seems to be quite different in character and by believer perception . To lump all "believers " together as 'one God accepting ' doesn't seem to be very useful . That is , Your Christian God is not my Islam Allah etc .
I am sure there was a time when 95% of all people in the modern world believed that it was flat .However , without the empirical evidence to demonstrate it , that turned out a useless way of saying anything sensible about the world --- other than most people probably have a propensity to look for easy answers to very complex problems . There seems to be a parallel with belief in God .
It seems to be a great comfort to many as it provides the illusion that you have a first cause and theoretically an answer to all questions . When in fact , it simply serves to pose another series of questions all prefaced with , When , What and How , imo , which are ducked by believers who usually claim that their God is infinite and/ or eternal .
Regardless , the OP is about Bible "Bashers" and therefore just refers to the idea of a Christian God .
I suggest that this idea has taken a hell of a bashing itself with the revelation that Jesus was just an ordinary guy , born in the usual way and is not magically the Son of God in the pauline tradition of the all embracing Trinity . See Dead Sea Testaments and Qumran scrolls .
Perhaps christianity is just a nice comfortable tale which got things popular but is now somewhat past its sell buy date , imo .

If you honestly believe a little punk like the AZ kid here is smarter than 88% of the world's population, I'd say you're the one grasping for straws to back up your non-belief.

I don't have a problem with non-believers. As long as they don't try to push their lack of belief onto me. ;)

AZFlyFisher
07-26-2012, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Carygrant;104887]

If you honestly believe a little punk like the AZ kid here is smarter than 88% of the world's population, I'd say you're the one grasping for straws to back up your non-belief.

I don't have a problem with non-believers. As long as they don't try to push their lack of belief onto me. ;)

You certainly live up to your screen name. Did you choose it yourself or was it awarded to you?

Your state has a history of trying to introduce the teaching of supernatural beings in science class. If you are one of those supporting that, you should be ashamed.

Recent surveys have shown that as few as 40% of Americans believe in the story of creation as described in Genesis. The number goes down relative to the amount of education one has completed.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/laurilebo/3952/40%25_of_americans_still_believe_in_creationism/

"The telephone poll taken last week of 1,119 adults over 18, revealed that a majority of Republicans (52 percent) hold young earth creationist views, while only 34 percent of Democrats and Independents say they do. Additionally, the less educated an individual, the more likely he or she is to believe in creationism; 47% of those with high school degrees or less believe in creationism, while only 22 percent of those with post-graduate degrees do so."

That seems to indicate what I was implying in the original post. Think back to what most people believed 50, 100, or 500 years ago. Belief in the Christian God, and other gods, is on the slide. I predict that 100 years from now Christians will have either adapted or adopted as science gives us more answers. Those who don't will continue to be part of a shrinking minority, probably having a very low average IQ.

Packing for a camping and fishing trip with the grandkids right now but I will respond to Trinnity's question and others as soon as possible. We're heading to the mountains for a couple days to get away from the 110 degree temperatures here.

Chris
07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't have a problem with non-believers. As long as they don't try to push their lack of belief onto me.

A non-believer, lacking belief, has nothing to push. Most who claim to be non-believers, atheists, are really disbelievers, antitheists, who push rejection onto believer's acceptance.

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=Smartmouthwoman;104909]

You certainly live up to your screen name. Did you choose it yourself or was it awarded to you?

You are right -- I'm a good looking guy.
Your problem is that you have muddled me with another poster and attributed words to me that I never made . Nor ever would .
In the future , look for the wise and perceptive and you will have nailed me in one .
P.S. What's this garbage about the existence of "supernatural beings "being taught in schools . Rubbish , unless you are talking about me again .

Goldie Locks
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
God believes in creationism and he's the most intelligent being evah!!!!...:grin:

coolwalker
07-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Ya'll have to stop pissing in Carygrants Cheerios...it's muddling his brain.

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Ya'll have to stop pissing in Carygrants Cheerios...it's muddling his brain.

Come on Walker --try again and see if you can get it into English . I see you are into SM with your naughty stick . Let's see if I can whip you into shape !
My office after parade . Sharp .

Captain Obvious
07-26-2012, 04:23 PM
http://mayopie.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/jesus-flipping-you-off1.jpg

Chris
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Wrong one, cap...

http://snag.gy/vEt2c.jpg

Goldie Locks
07-26-2012, 10:10 PM

That is sick and you should be ashamed of yourself.

roadmaster
07-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Put one like these as Muhammad if you think you are tough.

Conley
07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh jeez then we'll all get beheaded :sad:

wingrider
07-26-2012, 11:43 PM
not me.. I am packing.

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
That's the kind of vile crap I would expect to see on DCJ, not here.

gophangover
07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Cons sure get their panties in a wad when their deity gets dis'd, but they sure enjoy doing it to others. And now they're going to try to elect a moron, er uh mormon, who they don't even believe is their brand of christian. BWAH HA HA HA HA! What a bunch of dinks.

Mister D
07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
not me.. I am packing.

I can can get a carry permit in a whole host of states except the one I live in. :rollseyes:

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Cons sure get their panties in a wad when their deity gets dis'd, but they sure enjoy doing it to others. And now they're going to try to elect a moron, er uh mormon, who they don't even believe is their brand of christian. BWAH HA HA HA HA! What a bunch of dinks.Not really. Are you objecting to our free speech?
And unlike Islamists, our pastors won't issue a fatwa to target him for murder for things like that.

So, bitch if you want. I can too.

gophangover
07-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Not really. Are you objecting to our free speech?
And unlike Islamists, our pastors won't issue a fatwa to target him for murder for things like that.

So, bitch if you want. I can too.

No difference in Islamists and bible thumpers in the respect that they both try to force their ideologies on everyone else. And they both think they are better than everyone else. And they both worship the God of Abraham. And they're both morons.

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 08:48 AM
No difference in Islamists and bible thumpers in the respect that they both try to force their ideologies on everyone else. And they both think they are better than everyone else. And they both worship the God of Abraham. And they're both morons.Not true. I don't force my religion on anyone. I've said this before (recently, and here) I don't care who's saved. You're all on your own.

Chris
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
That's right, gop, those were grossly moronic overgeneralizations.

AZFlyFisher
07-28-2012, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=AZFlyFisher;104921]

You are right -- I'm a good looking guy.
Your problem is that you have muddled me with another poster and attributed words to me that I never made . Nor ever would .
In the future , look for the wise and perceptive and you will have nailed me in one .
P.S. What's this garbage about the existence of "supernatural beings "being taught in schools . Rubbish , unless you are talking about me again .

Strange the way quoting on this forum works. I was addressing the comment by Smartmouthedwoman, not you Cary Grant. Texas has the history of trying to introduce Creationism into science classes.

Chris
07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Texas has the history of trying to introduce Creationism into science classes

Oh? And the basis of that is, what?

AZFlyFisher
07-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh? And the basis of that is, what?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/07/21/7135995-creationism-controversy-again-slips-into-texas-textbook-debate?lite

"Curriculum standards adopted in 2009 say Texas' science textbooks must "explore all sides" of the theory of evolution, a specification that conservative religious members then on the board said was intended to require textbooks to discuss creationism and "intelligent design," the hypothesis that a supreme being engineered the creation and development of humanity. "

"None of the nine temporary solutions that state Education Commissioner Robert Scott signed off on includes creationism or intelligent design. (Conservatives on the board would like to consider a 10th supplement — rejected by Scott — that does examine intelligent design, The Dallas Morning News reported (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20110720-state-board-of-education-set-to-dive-back-into-science-evolution-debate.ece). But unlike two years ago, they no longer control a majority of the board.)"

I know you've heard all about it, Chris.

Goldie Locks
07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I pray to God every night to save our country.

wingrider
07-28-2012, 09:35 PM
to late goldie... America is about to be judged for her sins not only against the world but to her own people.

50 million murders through abortion.. countless million murdered by war, I firmly believe that America is about to be kicked in the ass for what she has done.

roadmaster
07-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Ah see things don't bother me. Voices no, but yes visions. I once witnessed a young man in the emergency room, broken bones, internal bleeding, brain dead from a car wreck, DUI. Watched his mother come running down the hallway and the preacher right behind. They started praying and so did I. It was not His will to take this young man because 10 minutes after the young man was completely healed. The Dr. was stunned. Not even a broken bone. He became a youth pastor, it's been a while don't know where he is now but God reigns.

No it doesn't bother me if you dislike me or if you don't believe. For over 40 years He owns my soul and nothing can change me. To my death on this earth I will praise Him.

Goldie Locks
07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
to late goldie... America is about to be judged for her sins not only against the world but to her own people.

50 million murders through abortion.. countless million murdered by war, I firmly believe that America is about to be kicked in the ass for what she has done.

Those who will and believe can bring God back into our lives and our country and Lord knows we need another George Washington to lead us.

Goldie Locks
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
We cannot wait for others to act, we must act!!!

roadmaster
07-28-2012, 11:35 PM

I believe in standing our ground but we all know things will pass as it is written. My Grandmother always told me to never fear the dark and death is like walking across the street. One day I will take that walk but have never been afraid of the dark.

AZFlyFisher
07-29-2012, 01:10 AM

Here you go.

http://votingforjesus.com/vote.cfm

Make your vote COUNT this November.

Amen.

Carygrant
07-29-2012, 03:03 AM
No it doesn't bother me if you dislike me or if you don't believe. For over 40 years He owns my soul and nothing can change me. To my death on this earth I will praise Him.

Of course we all love you .
But that story takes some swallowing . I meant believing .
If true ( I know you don't accept the "if" ) , it is the greatest miracle I have ever heard of .
My question is , why has it never been internationally reported etc with testimony statements and drug test results etc ?

Chris
07-29-2012, 09:44 AM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/07/21/7135995-creationism-controversy-again-slips-into-texas-textbook-debate?lite

"Curriculum standards adopted in 2009 say Texas' science textbooks must "explore all sides" of the theory of evolution, a specification that conservative religious members then on the board said was intended to require textbooks to discuss creationism and "intelligent design," the hypothesis that a supreme being engineered the creation and development of humanity. "

"None of the nine temporary solutions that state Education Commissioner Robert Scott signed off on includes creationism or intelligent design. (Conservatives on the board would like to consider a 10th supplement — rejected by Scott — that does examine intelligent design, The Dallas Morning News reported (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20110720-state-board-of-education-set-to-dive-back-into-science-evolution-debate.ece). But unlike two years ago, they no longer control a majority of the board.)"

I know you've heard all about it, Chris.

That's what I suspected, a single decision does not a history make, AZ. Nice stretch though.

Fact check: Does Texas teach creationism in public schools? Is it constitutional? (http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/18/7410377-fact-check-does-texas-teach-creationism-in-public-schools-is-it-constitutional?lite)
"In Texas, we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools," the governor deadpanned into the eyes of an elementary-school-age boy, whose mother was asking her son to ask the governor why he doesn't believe in science.

So is creationism actually taught in Texas public schools? And is it constitutional?

Clay Robison, a spokesman for the Texas State Teachers Association, the state’s teachers’ union, says, “It is not part of the recognized official state curriculum.”...

Think about it a minute, what would you even teach about creationism? Most of creationism is about teach the controversy, it questions evolution, but there's really nothing to teach about creationism itself, neither old school Henry M. Morris creationism nor the newer irreligious, nonscientific Intelligent Design.

On edit, here's a follow up story: Fight Over Teaching Evolution In Texas Fizzles (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/07/22/fight-over-teaching-evolution-in-texas-fizzles/)
Unlike the fiery debate that erupted two years ago, an expected fight over teaching evolution in Texas public schools has likely fizzled after state education officials made only minor changes to new science materials for the coming school years.

A final vote is expected Friday, a day after the Texas State Board of Education unanimously approved the changes. The Republican-dominated board drew national attention in 2009 when it adopted science standards encouraging schools to scrutinize “all sides” of scientific theory, a move some creationists hailed as a victory.

Thursday’s preliminary vote diffused the expected renewal of that debate. Although the board could still make changes Friday, board member David Bradley predicted few fireworks would emerge.

“Somebody might want to refund their tickets,” the Republican said after the vote. “There wasn’t a fight.”...

And there never was a fight.

Trinnity
07-29-2012, 09:58 AM
If true ( I know you don't accept the "if" ) , it is the greatest miracle I have ever heard of .
My question is , why has it never been internationally reported etc with testimony statements and drug test results etc ?
Because it's not unique. These things do happen.

roadmaster
07-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Well you could tell the young man had been drinking, the smell was overwhelming , most likely liquor. Glass was in his skin and just by looking you could tell this one wasn’t going to make it. I later found out he use to attend that Church but like many youth they rebel and begin to question things. While the Dr’s examined him of course his next of kin, his mom was asked to come to the hospital. This was in the 1980’s so I don’t know if it got any attention. Didn’t know his mom but did recognize the preacher. I guess she called him on the way to the hospital. I never tell my profession on the net but if you had seen the ex-rays ect, I didn’t expect him to make it another hour. When he woke up and smiled even a believer like me was amazed. He was shown the next few days just what he looked like before God intervened and the Dr’s had wrote him off. Things like this do happen but this one I will never forget. The most extreme I have ever witnessed. He had a great testimony but like many have to remember we pray IF IT BE YOUR WILL. It wasn’t his time and God had something for him to do. It was more of a wake up call for him as he said. That’s another thing Christians have to remember and it’s hard but not all will be healed and we don’t always like His answer.

AZFlyFisher
07-30-2012, 02:50 AM

You guys didn't tell me Pat Robertson was a member of the forum.

Hello Pat!

Carygrant
07-30-2012, 02:55 AM

Hello Pat!

Yet another reason to be British .
But I am Fat not Pat . (A little overweight but it's falling off me since I became a voluntary amputee).

wingrider
07-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Hello Pat!
that kind of nonsense will not win you any points with me..

Trinnity
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Hello Pat!Pat Robertson has not been a minister for decades. He's a disreputable man and I would know - having lived most of my life in Virginia Beach.

Your off-topic flamebaiting is noted, and you sure aren't impressing me either.

AZFlyFisher
07-30-2012, 01:16 PM

I get chastised for "off-topic flamebaiting" for responding to someone who posts this on a thread about The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent?

Actually he sounds a little more like Fred Phelps than Pat Robertson. Just a little.

wingrider
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I get chastised for "off-topic flamebaiting" for responding to someone who posts this on a thread about The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent?

Actually he sounds a little more like Fred Phelps than Pat Robertson. Just a little.
you sir are skating on thin ice,, are you sure you want to go down this road?

AZFlyFisher
07-31-2012, 02:05 AM
you sir are skating on thin ice,, are you sure you want to go down this road?

You seriously don't see the similarity between comments by Fred Phelps and Pat Robertson and your comment?

wingrider says:

"America is about to be judged for her sins not only against the world but to her own people.

50 million murders through abortion.. countless million murdered by war, I firmly believe that America is about to be kicked in the ass for what she has done."

Fred Phelps says:

"There's only America to blame for those tragedies."

"For ten long weary years prior to 9/11, WBC warned you daily on the mean streets of this nation that your sodomite sins will be avenged by an angry God except you repent"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

Pat Robertson says:

This is not a message of hate -- this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson

“We’re heading that way as a nation. In history there’s never been a civilization ever in history that has embraced homosexuality and turned away from traditional fidelity, traditional marriage, traditional child-rearing, and has survived. There isn’t one single civilization that has survived that openly embraced homosexuality. So you say, ‘what’s going to happen to America?” Well if history is any guide, the same thing’s going to happen to us,’”

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/06/pat-robertson-warns-god-will-destroy-america-over-same-sex-marriage/

Just what did you mean by "America is about to be kicked in the ass for what she has done." then?

Trinnity
07-31-2012, 03:18 AM
And why would you want to hang the specter of Fred Phelps on a member of this forum? Are you self-destructive?

Peter1469
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
And why would you want to hang the specter of Fred Phelps on a member of this forum? Are you self-destructive?

It is called poisoning the well. Associate a wild radical with the common, and the common shut up- afraid of being associated with the wild radical.

Howey
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM

Hmmmmm~

Other studies link conservatives to low IQ's, so this is entirely possible. After all, anyone who thinks the Earth was created 3000 years ago, can't be all that bright.

Trinnity
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
It is called poisoning the well. Associate a wild radical with the common, and the common shut up- afraid of being associated with the wild radical.Well that's not gonna work with me. I love to kick militant atheist butt.

Trinnity
07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Other studies link conservatives to low IQ's, so this is entirely possible. After all, anyone who thinks the Earth was created 3000 years ago, can't be all that bright.You're late to the discussion. No one really thinks the Earth is 3K y/o, and no one gives a hoot about studies designed to insult Christians. The ruse doesn't work.

AZFlyFisher
07-31-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm waiting to hear who is supposed to kick America in the ass because of our sins.

If wingrider thinks it's the Christian God about to kick us in the ass then I stand by my comparison.

Captain Obvious
07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
The fact is, nobody can prove there is a god nor can anyone prove that there isn't one.

We all have to make our best guess.

Having said that, believers rely on faith which is a fundamental tenant of religion. Atheists simply deny a god exists.

Now this comment doesn't speak for all members of either group, but elements on both sides feel compelled to argue that which cannot be proved. That to me is a prime definition of idiocy.

Goldie Locks
07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Other studies link conservatives to low IQ's, so this is entirely possible. After all, anyone who thinks the Earth was created 3000 years ago, can't be all that bright.

Wow your avatar says it all....CREEPY!!!!!! NO THANKS!!!!!!

Chris
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
The fact is, nobody can prove there is a god nor can anyone prove that there isn't one.

Having said that, believers rely on faith which is a fundamental tenant of religion. Atheists simply deny a god exists.

Now this comment doesn't speak for all members of either group, but elements on both sides feel compelled to argue that which cannot be proved. That to me is a prime definition of idiocy.

Or make none at all.

wingrider
08-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Other studies link conservatives to low IQ's, so this is entirely possible. After all, anyone who thinks the Earth was created 3000 years ago, can't be all that bright. and anyone who thinks that people of faith think the earth was created 3000 years ago aren't that bright either.. from the timeline of adam and eve to present is 6000 years

Captain Obvious
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/051/7/4/poly_atheism_demotivational_by_hull612-d39xom1.jpg

KSigMason
08-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Extremists of any ideologies are usually dumb creatures. Doesn't make all who have faith and religious in nature dumb or less intelligent. That is just partisan bullshit.