PDA

View Full Version : President Obama: Why Should Washington Stand In the Way of the American People?

Chris
07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Obama said something I agree with. Question is, did he know what he was saying? I doubt it.

"After all, why should Washington stand in the way of our own people?"

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/07/01/statement-president-re-establishment-diplomatic-relations-cuba

Cigar
07-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Obama said something I agree with. Question is, did he know what he was saying? I doubt it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/07/01/statement-president-re-establishment-diplomatic-relations-cuba

Well when the National Polls say The People want one thing, guess which party stands in the way? :laugh:

Chris
07-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Well when the National Polls say The People want one thing, guess which party stands in the way? :laugh:

Both.

Tahuyaman
07-04-2015, 10:36 AM

I agree with with that too. Unfortunately, our president often says things which he doesn't really believe.

Tahuyaman
07-04-2015, 10:37 AM

One party has a history of turning to the courts when their issue loses through the initiative process.

domer76
07-04-2015, 11:09 AM
One party has a history of turning to the courts when their issue loses through the initiative process.

Yep. That's the way it's intended to be.

Chris
07-04-2015, 11:14 AM

It was?

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." --John Adams

"There is an opinion, that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast, Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume." --Geo Washington

Tahuyaman
07-04-2015, 11:17 AM
It was?

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." --John Adams

"There is an opinion, that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast, Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume." --Geo Washington

See what I'm talking about? The left has no problem with using the courts to invent new ways to justify overturning the will of the people. They do it all the time all over the country and they are fine with it until the rare occasion it goes against them.

domer76
07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
It was?

Lovely quotes. However, they have nothing to do with the courts as an institution of our government to preserve rights being trampled on by "the people."

Once again, this is not a democracy

domer76
07-04-2015, 11:37 AM
See what I'm talking about? The left has no problem with using the courts to invent new ways to justify overturning the will of the people. They do it all the time all over the country and they are fine with it until the rare occasion it goes against them.

I'm not sure how more wrong you can be. But your track record indicates you will be more so by the end of this thread

Chris
07-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Lovely quotes. However, they have nothing to do with the courts as an institution of our government to preserve rights being trampled on by "the people."

Once again, this is not a democracy

No, they have to do with parties, which was what was being discussed.

Doesn't context mean anything to you?

BTW, "the courts as an institution of our government to preserve rights being trampled on by "the people."" What does that even mean in the context of this thread? In answering, please refer to the Constitution.

domer76
07-04-2015, 11:45 AM
No, they have to do with parties, which was what was being discussed.

Doesn't context mean anything to you?

BTW, "the courts as an institution of our government to preserve rights being trampled on by "the people."" What does that even mean in the context of this thread? In answering, please refer to the Constitution.

The response was to T's reference about "turning to the courts".

Try to keep up.

Chris
07-04-2015, 11:55 AM
The response was to T's reference about "turning to the courts".

Try to keep up.

How can you be so disingenuous to have removed the subject of his comment: "One party has a history of turning to the courts...."

Redrose
07-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I recall a very interesting discussion on another forum several months ago, and I agree with most of it.

When we use the words 'Rebublican' and 'Democrat' in our discussions and complaints about politics, we usually mean the organized political parties, not necessarily our friends and neighbors.

One gent says the GOP are obstructionists because they try to block Democratic bills they don't agree with. That's just the system working, not obstructionism. Dems do the same thing, there is nothing wrong with that.

Others say the Dems are 'looting' America with their ultra-liberal policies, and the GOP is for the wealthy.
Neither statement is 100% accurate.

Both parties have their good and bad points. We just have to be smart enough to recognize them.

Chris
07-04-2015, 12:32 PM
I recall a very interesting discussion on another forum several months ago, and I agree with most of it.

When we use the words 'Rebublican' and 'Democrat' in our discussions and complaints about politics, we usually mean the organized political parties, not necessarily our friends and neighbors.

One gent says the GOP are obstructionists because they try to block Democratic bills they don't agree with. That's just the system working, not obstructionism. Dems do the same thing, there is nothing wrong with that.

Others say the Dems are 'looting' America with their ultra-liberal policies, and the GOP is for the wealthy.

Both parties have their good and bad points. We just have to be smart enough to recognize them.

That's just the system working, not obstructionism.

Agree. That is what the system was designed for, contention, the opposition is supposed to oppose. And that provides another built in check on government power.

birddog
07-05-2015, 04:21 PM

So, Obama should finally convince us he's a true leader. He should be the first one to resign!:cool2:

magicmike
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Only sort of related, I watch "What's My Car Worth" on Velocity. They have a mailbag section going into commercials when classic car fans send in pics and info on their cars? Lots of Cubans lately.

zelmo1234
07-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Ah! NO! That is not how it was intended to be

donttread
07-05-2015, 05:48 PM

Wait : "An American president wants to change policy based upon the policies failure and outdatedness? Wow, I hope this this is contaigiuos !

donttread
07-05-2015, 05:50 PM

Can you list 5 good points for each "major party" based on actual results vs talk?

Tahuyaman
07-05-2015, 06:14 PM

And that party is pandering to nit wits like you.

Redrose
07-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Can you list 5 good points for each "major party" based on actual results vs talk?

Over what time frame? Both parties at various times have done good things for the country. There will always be a percentage of people who oppose the party in power, that will never change.

donttread
07-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Over what time frame? Both parties at various times have done good things for the country. There will always be a percentage of people who oppose the party in power, that will never change.

Over the past 30 or so years

Cigar
07-06-2015, 09:06 AM
"I Welcome Their Hatred!"https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/5e/56/725e56e47a12930b3ada0ba42832d4b5.jpg

FDR: Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=15219

domer76
07-06-2015, 09:38 AM
How can you be so disingenuous to have removed the subject of his comment: "One party has a history of turning to the courts...."

WTF are you talking about? I hit reply to post and commented. Keep up or shut up

domer76
07-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Blocking is one thing. Abuse of the filibuster is another

domer76
07-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Ah! NO! That is not how it was intended to be

What? No courts? Surely you jest

Ransom
07-06-2015, 09:44 AM
And that party is pandering to nit wits like you.

Exactly. Note 'polls' are what many want responded to.......when the GOP tries to respond to the actual elections......are they not opposed?

It's politics people. Reasonable people vote GOP, sheep vote Dem. Moving on.

Peter1469
07-06-2015, 09:52 AM
FDR brought an American version of fascism to our politics. The left loves it.

Chris
07-06-2015, 11:18 AM
"I Welcome Their Hatred!"https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/5e/56/725e56e47a12930b3ada0ba42832d4b5.jpg

FDR: Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=15219

There seems to be no question that [Mussolini] is really interested in what we are doing and I am much interested and deeply impressed by what he has accomplished and by his evidenced honest purpose of restoring Italy.

I don't mind telling you in confidence that I am keeping in fairly close touch with that admirable Italian gentleman.

I don't mind telling you in confidence that I am keeping in fairly close touch with that admirable Italian gentleman.
Comment on Benito Mussolini in 1933, as quoted in Three New Deals : Reflections on Roosevelt's America, Mussolini's Italy, and Hitler's Germany, 1933-1939 (2006) by Wolfgang Schivelbusch, p. 31.

Chris
07-06-2015, 11:19 AM
FDR brought an American version of fascism to our politics. The left loves it.

Three New Deals: Why the Nazis and Fascists Loved FDR (https://mises.org/library/three-new-deals-why-nazis-and-fascists-loved-fdr): "Critics of Roosevelt's New Deal often liken it to fascism. Roosevelt's numerous defenders dismiss this charge as reactionary propaganda; but as Wolfgang Schivelbusch makes clear, it is perfectly true. Moreover, it was recognized to be true during the 1930s, by the New Deal's supporters as well as its opponents."