PDA

View Full Version : This is your brain on alcohol.........

sachem
07-05-2015, 02:48 PM
How stupidly sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html

CALAIS, Maine (AP) — A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.
Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.
The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

Tricia
07-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Horrible.

GrassrootsConservative
07-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Went out with a BANG!

:drumdude:

donttread
07-05-2015, 03:13 PM
How stupidly sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html

CALAIS, Maine (AP) — A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.
Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

Darwin Award candidate. Hopefully he had not yet spread his genes

silvereyes
07-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh wow. His poor family. :(

donttread
07-05-2015, 05:19 PM
This reminds me of the current over use of warning labels that keep stupid in the genepool. Things like "warning this METAL ladder conducts electricity"
Two years ago I encountered an incedible example at Subway. The plastic bag the sub came is actually said " do not allow very young children to play with this bag" or something very close to that. My 7 year old grandson was with us so I asked him if he would allow a baby to play with a plastic bag. His response was "No" I asked why not , he replied "because they could put it on there head an suffacate" sounding a little off put that grandpa would ask him such a silly question. Now he could read, but had only been able to do so for a year or two. He was probably just approaching the reading sophistication to have read and understood the bag. We have reached the point where we are literally writing warning labels for information anyone capable of reading the warning already knows.

sachem
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Some of the warnings are absurd but manufacturers/distributors are trying to cover their asses legally. They don't care if the warnings are stupid.

Ravens Fan
07-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Some of the warnings are absurd but manufacturers/distributors are trying to cover their asses legally. They don't care if the warnings are stupid.

This^^^^

We live in a sue happy world.

donttread
07-05-2015, 06:25 PM

True, but we all pay for those warnings. For example and I paraphrase here. "Don't fill a pot to the brim with grease, boil the grease and then drop a 15 pound bird in the pot"

sachem
07-05-2015, 06:44 PM
True, but we all pay for those warnings. For example and I paraphrase here. "Don't fill a pot to the brim with grease, boil the grease and then drop a 15 pound bird in the pot"Stupid but who does it hurt?

donttread
07-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Stupid but who does it hurt?

Everyone who buys the product. And if successful, society as a whole by keeping really dumb people alive long enough to reproduce. Such people tend to reproduce faster than the rest of us so imagine the long term effects?

GrassrootsConservative
07-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Fireworks already have warning labels, they're on them all.

"Caution, shoots flaming balls and reports" is what's on most of those mortars.

Anything that starts with that isn't something anyone should look at and go "oh okay, I'll light it on my head."

If you do, you're an idiot.

sachem
07-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Everyone who buys the product. And if successful, society as a whole by keeping really dumb people alive long enough to reproduce. Such people tend to reproduce faster than the rest of us so imagine the long term effects?I don't believe that. Reading a stupid warning only makes me laugh, it doesn't make me dumber. And the relatively few people who use a product incorrectly probably need the warning.

Even idiots have the right to reproduce. That's what makes America great.

donttread
07-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Anything that starts with that isn't something anyone should look at and go "oh okay, I'll light it on my head."

If you do, you're an idiot.

My point is if he did that without a warning label, he's still an idiot and would have probably fathered several idiots to be

sachem
07-05-2015, 07:09 PM

If you do, you're an idiot.This guy acted stupidly. Drinking didn't help. I doubt any lawsuits against the fireworks manufacturer would go anywhere.

Thank goodness he only hurt himself.

sachem
07-05-2015, 07:12 PM
My point is if he did that without a warning label, he's still an idiot and would have probably fathered several idiots to beI don't believe idiocy is necessarily a genetic problem.

MisterVeritis
07-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Everyone who buys the product. And if successful, society as a whole by keeping really dumb people alive long enough to reproduce. Such people tend to reproduce faster than the rest of us so imagine the long term effects?
Yes. Democrats win elections.

GrassrootsConservative
07-05-2015, 07:15 PM
I don't believe idiocy is necessarily a genetic problem.

No, but what are the odds a child is going to turn out intelligent with someone that puts fireworks on their head for a parent? Idiocy isn't genetic, but you learn things from your parents and a dumb parent isn't most of the time going to be the one raising intelligent young adults.

sachem
07-05-2015, 07:22 PM
No, but what are the odds a child is going to turn out intelligent with someone that puts fireworks on their head for a parent? Idiocy isn't genetic, but you learn things from your parents and a dumb parent isn't most of the time going to be the one raising intelligent young adults.No guarantee this guy would have remained stupid as he aged. Intelligence is inherited. Maybe in this case it would have skipped a generation??

sachem
07-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes. Democrats win elections.Take it elsewhere, buddy. Not getting into party slamming in this thread.

GrassrootsConservative
07-05-2015, 07:25 PM
No guarantee this guy would have remained stupid as he aged. Intelligence is inherited. Maybe in this case it would have skipped a generation??

Who says his next generation would even make it?

What if he waits 5 years and then decides that mortar would be cool to see go off his kid's head?

sachem
07-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Who says his next generation would even make it?

What if he waits 5 years and then decides that mortar would be cool to see go off his kid's head?Always possible. Many parents abuse their children.

Captain Obvious
07-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Not sure how sad it is when someone Darwin's out.

What would have been sad is if this schmuck took someone with him, fortunately that wasn't the case.

The world is smarter now.

domer76
07-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes. Democrats win elections.

That doesn't say much about those who manage to LOSE to the dumb ones, does it?

Chris
07-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Not sure how sad it is when someone Darwin's out.

What would have been sad is if this schmuck took someone with him, fortunately that wasn't the case.

The world is smarter now.

There's one born every minute.

PolWatch
07-05-2015, 10:41 PM
True, but we all pay for those warnings. For example and I paraphrase here. "Don't fill a pot to the brim with grease, boil the grease and then drop a 15 pound bird in the pot"

sounds silly....until you look up the numbers of injuries every year from doing exactly that. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

edit: I looked it up
Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, the destruction of 900 homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/11/27/this-state-has-most-deep-fried-turkey-accidents/

Redrose
07-05-2015, 11:14 PM
How stupidly sad.

Darwin award winner for sure.

donttread
07-06-2015, 06:21 AM
I don't believe that. Reading a stupid warning only makes me laugh, it doesn't make me dumber. And the relatively few people who use a product incorrectly probably need the warning.

Even idiots have the right to reproduce. That's what makes America great.

That warning label cost you money and it doesn't make you dumber but dumb people out breeding smart people makes society dumber

del
07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
maine is awesome

Private Pickle
07-06-2015, 09:11 AM
No difference between this and the alligator one.

Ravens Fan
07-06-2015, 09:16 AM
sounds silly....until you look up the numbers of injuries every year from doing exactly that. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

edit: I looked it up
Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, the destruction of 900 homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/11/27/this-state-has-most-deep-fried-turkey-accidents/

Unfortunately, it happens every season at thanksgiving, even with PSA commercials running for weeks ahead of time warning people about it. Same thing with idiots who bring their generator inside the house or attached garage, and end up killing their whole families with Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

MisterVeritis
07-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Take it elsewhere, buddy. Not getting into party slamming in this thread.
Did someone die and you became queen? Awesome.

In the meantime I will respond as I wish.

Common Sense
07-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Queen Sachem is right. Only a D bag would politicize this.

MisterVeritis
07-06-2015, 04:46 PM
That doesn't say much about those who manage to LOSE to the dumb ones, does it?
There are plenty more fools than smart people. The dumb ones vote for the candidate that promises them plunder. That is primarily the democrat party. Those willing to be breeding sows for the welfare and free time do procreate and will continue to do so as long as the welfare checks keep flowing.

If it were not for the high double digit voters where would democrats find enough people to fool? LBJ got it.

Which President actually made the following statement: (http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/which-president-actually-made-the-following-statement-ill-have-those-nggers-voting-democratic-fo/question-4806834/?page=3) “I’ll Have Those N*ggers Voting Democratic for the Next 200 Years”

And so far so good.

sachem
07-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Did someone die and you became queen? Awesome.

In the meantime I will respond as I wish.I am Queen.

MisterVeritis
07-06-2015, 05:30 PM
I am Queen.
LOL. It is clear you are delusional. That, I suppose, is good enough.

Chris
07-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Mom of man killed setting off fireworks on head: rules lax (http://www.ktbs.com/story/29486687/mom-of-man-killed-setting-off-fireworks-on-head-rules-lax): " The mother of a man who tried to launch a firework off the top of his head for July Fourth and was killed instantly said Monday she's advocating for stricter controls about who can use the explosives."

sachem
07-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Mom of man killed setting off fireworks on head: rules lax (http://www.ktbs.com/story/29486687/mom-of-man-killed-setting-off-fireworks-on-head-rules-lax): " The mother of a man who tried to launch a firework off the top of his head for July Fourth and was killed instantly said Monday she's advocating for stricter controls about who can use the explosives."Some folks like their fireworks. Tighter laws or not, they will still get fireworks and drunken idiots will still do stupid things.

This poor mother,losing her son to something so stupid that he did to himself.

Chris
07-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Some folks like their fireworks. Tighter laws or not, they will still get fireworks and drunken idiots will still do stupid things.

I know, I have neighbors nuts for fireworks. All evening the 4th, New Years, drives me nuts.

I think it was her depending on laws rather than her own rules the led her son not to think.

Ravens Fan
07-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Some folks like their fireworks. Tighter laws or not, they will still get fireworks and drunken idiots will still do stupid things.

I run up to PA every year and spend a few hundred bucks, lol. Here in MD all they allow is sparklers and small stuff like that.

sachem
07-08-2015, 06:02 PM
I run up to PA every year and spend a few hundred bucks, lol. Here in MD all they allow is sparklers and small stuff like that.That's all we are "allowed" as well. Yet every July 4th loud ka-booms are heard all over.

sachem
07-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I know, I have neighbors nuts for fireworks. All evening the 4th, New Years, drives me nuts.

I think it was her depending on laws rather than her own rules the led her son not to think.I think it was the booze causing him not to think.

Chris
07-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I think it was the booze causing him not to think.

Perhaps but I remember drinking and still thinking. Not always straight, but not completely stupid. People get drunk in different ways I guess.

sachem
07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Perhaps but I remember drinking and still thinking. Not always straight, but not completely stupid. People get drunk in different ways I guess.True enough.

silvereyes
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Which is worse: absurd warning labels or absurd directions labels?

LOL.

domer76
07-08-2015, 10:21 PM
There are plenty more fools than smart people. The dumb ones vote for the candidate that promises them plunder. That is primarily the democrat party. Those willing to be breeding sows for the welfare and free time do procreate and will continue to do so as long as the welfare checks keep flowing.

If it were not for the high double digit voters where would democrats find enough people to fool? LBJ got it.

Which President actually made the following statement: (http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/which-president-actually-made-the-following-statement-ill-have-those-nggers-voting-democratic-fo/question-4806834/?page=3) “I’ll Have Those N*ggers Voting Democratic for the Next 200 Years”

And so far so good.

You see, I always thought that delusional paranoiacs like you were in the minority. But when you state that there are more fools than dmart people, it clearly puts you in that majority.

donttread
07-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Perhaps but I remember drinking and still thinking. Not always straight, but not completely stupid. People get drunk in different ways I guess.

Alcohol diminishes the ability to think , especially in high doses. So to some extent it depends upon what your ability to think was when you started drinking. I've seen some smart people do some dumb things on booze but I'd like to think that in my drinking days I would of passed out long before I would of tried to launch a serious firecracker off my head.

BB-35
07-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Natural selection at work..

Captain Obvious
07-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Something tells me that banning fireworks wouldn't prevent this dipshit from Darwining out.

MisterVeritis
07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
You see, I always thought that delusional paranoiacs like you were in the minority. But when you state that there are more fools than dmart people, it clearly puts you in that majority.
If you should ever make a point worth responding to I shall do so. This fails to meet the minimum standard.

sachem
07-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Something tells me that banning fireworks wouldn't prevent this dipshit from Darwining out.Probably not.

donttread
07-10-2015, 05:58 AM
Something tells me that banning fireworks wouldn't prevent this dipshit from Darwining out.

Another example of how contraband laws are silly.

Peter1469
07-10-2015, 06:14 AM
Firework regulations make sense if there is a fire danger. That was never a problem where I grew up.

McCool
07-10-2015, 09:31 AM
How stupidly sad.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said. Wow. I saw some of my neighbors using hand held launchers, and thinking how stupid that was, but from your head?

MisterVeritis
07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Wow. I saw some of my neighbors using hand held launchers, and thinking how stupid that was, but from your head?
It worked once.

donttread
07-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Firework regulations make sense if there is a fire danger. That was never a problem where I grew up.

That could fall under fire bans vs. a fireworks law. Thank God for PA