PDA

View Full Version : Two Lessons

Mainecoons
07-26-2012, 03:41 PM
From an email. Everyone here will understand this but the liberals:

CAN NOTBE BETTER EXPLAINED….

Thisrather brilliantly cuts thru all the politicaldoublespeak we get. It puts it into a much better perspective.
Lesson # 1:
* U.S. Tax revenue:$2,170,000,000,000
* Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $15,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000

Let's now remove 8 zeros and pretend it'sa household budget:
* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card:$152,710
* Total budget cuts: $385

Got It ?????

OK now Lesson # 2: Here's another way to look at the Debt Ceiling:

Let's say, You come home from work andfind there has been a sewer backup in your neighborhood....and your home hassewage all the way up to your ceilings.
What do you think you should do ......

Raise the ceilings, or pump out the crap?

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Nice to see Margaret Thatcher's sermon still being used -- over 30 years later than first preached .
Incidentally , it has nothing to do with Liberals .
It is what is called obvious common sense .

Deadwood
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice to see Margaret Thatcher's sermon still being used -- over 30 years later than first preached .

Sorry, I don't get the distinction. Common sense and liberal in one sentence even seems grotesque.

Chris
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Cary, I wish you could bring some of the Thatcher common sense to our White House and Congress, they are sorely lacking in it.

Chris
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I don't get the distinction. Common sense and liberal in one sentence even seems grotesque.

Hmm, I thought Cary was saying it, common sense, has nothing to do with liberals. :grin:

Carygrant
07-27-2012, 02:10 AM
I thought I was suggesting that it applied to neither party .
Is there no subject that is ever discussed with attempted objectivity ? This compulsion to translate everything into party terms is limiting , often silly , and not ultimately for the good of the country --- assuming that there still is anybody concerned about that , as distinct from scoring so called party points .

Mainecoons
07-27-2012, 07:02 AM
It has everything to do with liberals and the progressive philosophy. In fact liberalism and progressivism has infected both of our main political parties to the point that the distinction between them is pretty much meaningless. Hence, they are both equally guilty for the state the U.S. finds itself in and the voters who put them there to commit these crimes are the most guilty of all. Americans have bought the idea that there is such thing as a free lunch. So, unfortunately, have your people. Look at the size of the welfare budget there and the notion that everyone is entitled to "free" health care. I'm afraid your lot is as lacking in "common sense" as ours.

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 07:11 AM
It is what is called obvious common sense .Liberals don't have any common sense.

gophangover
07-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Liberals don't have any common sense.

Your B.S. justifies you as a moron.

Chris
07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Is there no subject that is ever discussed with attempted objectivity ? This compulsion to translate everything into party terms is limiting , often silly , and not ultimately for the good of the country --- assuming that there still is anybody concerned about that , as distinct from scoring so called party points .

Cary, we don't have a Liberal Party in the US. You do know that, don't you?

Chris
07-27-2012, 08:05 AM

What BS?

And could you come up with a new word, you're making moron meaningless using it so much.

gophangover
07-27-2012, 08:10 AM
What BS?

And could you come up with a new word, you're making moron meaningless using it so much.
Only a moron would ask that.

Chris
07-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Only a moron would ask that.

moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron moron ...

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Gopher, you're a big meanie.

coolwalker
07-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Duh...the object here was to notice that WE'RE IN THE SHITS! Obama can't pull us out by creating MORE government jobs, we need Romney to bridge the gap now between business and the American public. Businesses have to know that a profit is possible or else they will not waste money on a failure. Would you?

Captain America
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Exactly. I think the OP was spot on but the conservative wing is just as much to blame as any of the liberals. But you will be hard pressed convincing the uber-conservatives of this fact. The only ones that look crazy, when that is done is, well, let's just say it's not the liberals and leave it at that.

Everyone is for cutting back. Except the liberals refuse to give up the governement cheese and the conservatives refuse to give up the corporate welfare. There is plenty enough blame to pass around.

Chris
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Except the liberals refuse to give up the governement cheese and the conservatives refuse to give up the corporate welfare.

Some of us are more than willing to give up both and then some.

These overgeneralizations of liberal and conservative are almost as meaningless as gop's moron.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Some of us are more than willing to give up both and then some.

These overgeneralizations of liberal and conservative are almost as meaningless as gop's moron.

I see liberals using the word "moron" as much as I see conservatives using the word "ignorant" around here.

Pot meet kettle.

Ironically, I think they are both right.

Shoot the Goose
07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Exactly. I think the OP was spot on but the conservative wing is just as much to blame as any of the liberals. But you will be hard pressed convincing the uber-conservatives of this fact. The only ones that look crazy, when that is done is, well, let's just say it's not the liberals and leave it at that.

Everyone is for cutting back. Except the liberals refuse to give up the governement cheese and the conservatives refuse to give up the corporate welfare. There is plenty enough blame to pass around.

OK. Who established a debt commission, and then ignored it completely ? Who proposed a budget that actually did cut spending by $6 T while raising revenues ? And who voted for what ?

A-1: Obama and the Democrats. A-2: Paul Ryan and the Republicans. A-3: The GOP voted to spend less. The Democrats voted to spend more.

Sorry, but the liberals do not want to fix a damn thing.

Mainecoons
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
As long as some continue to confuse "conservative" with "Republican" they will continue to blame the former for helping with runaway budgets, when in fact, that was mainly the forte of the latter seeking to "work with" the Democrats.

You can't work with the Democrats unless you want to continue to grow government and spiral spending out of control. You also can't work with the Republicrats for the same reason.

The real conservatives are libertarians (small "L") these days. Not Demicans or Republicrats.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Funny thing about congress. Across the board, most all Americans agree that congess sucks. But ask them about THEIR congressman and he is just a-ok.

It's like the whole marching band is out of step but Johnny.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
As long as some continue to confuse "conservative" with "Republican" they will continue to blame the former for helping with runaway budgets, when in fact, that was mainly the forte of the latter seeking to "work with" the Democrats.

You can't work with the Democrats unless you want to continue to grow government and spiral spending out of control. You also can't work with the Republicrats for the same reason.

The real conservatives are libertarians (small "L") these days. Not Demicans or Republicrats.

Thank you.

Well said.

Chris
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Exactly. That's probably what Cary, a Brit (no offense at all intended), doesn't understand. Heck, I doubt conservative and liberal here don't mean the same as there--at least not conservative, for if you read Herbert Spencer's--a Brit--account in Man versus the State if the change in liberalism from classical to modern, it changed first in England and that was emulated here.

Shoot the Goose
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Bush's mishandling of the Office, and how the Republican heirarchy went along with him, gave rise to the Tea Party. And the almost unheard of notion of being "primaried".

Can we find the collective will to actually fix things ? Frankly, I am not encouraged. We have too many liberals. Too much largesse.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Exactly. That's probably what Cary, a Brit (no offense at all intended), doesn't understand. Heck, I doubt conservative and liberal here don't mean the same as there--at least not conservative, for if you read Herbert Spencer's--a Brit--account in Man versus the State if the change in liberalism from classical to modern, it changed first in England and that was emulated here.

Is it me or does it seem like that, as of late, the media is trying as hard as they can to get the US and the UK into a pissing match?

Chris
07-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Is it me or does it seem like that, as of late, the media is trying as hard as they can to get the US and the UK into a pissing match?

Over the Romney gaffe about London prpared for the Olympics? Media loves sensationalism.

Peter1469
07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Those words don't really go together in an English sentence.....

Peter1469
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Over the Romney gaffe about London prpared for the Olympics? Media loves sensationalism.

No. The media wants to talk about anything but Obama's performance as president and the economy.....

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I see liberals using the word "moron" as much as I see conservatives using the word "ignorant" around here.

Pot meet kettle.

Ironically, I think they are both right.
Ignorant is specific. Moron is an insult.

ig·no·rant

   [ig-ner-uhnt] Show IPA
adjective 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quantum+physics).

3.uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

mo·ron

   [mawr-on, mohr-] Show IPA
noun 1. Informal . a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/+moron?s=t

Note the difference; it's substantial.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Note the difference; it's substantial.

So, if said to you that you are just plain ignorant, that would not insult you?

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
The real conservatives are libertarians (small "L") these days. Not Demicans or Republicrats.I'm a conservative libertarian and proud of it.

gophangover
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
"No common sense" is an insult too, you moron.

<<<Ease up on the insults>>>

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
So, if said to you that you are just plain ignorant, that would not insult you?Not at all. I'm very well informed. I'd just laugh at you.

Captain America
07-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Not at all. I'm very well informed. I'd just laugh at you.

I hear your words.

Now hear mine. You are trying to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Do not insult my intelligence and I will not insult yours.

Call anyone ignorant and they do, and should, take offense. There are just to many ways to tell someone that there is more to it than they know without calling them "ignorant." Only an asshole, who is meaning to offend, would condescendingly (is that even a word?) would tell someone, especially over and over again, that they are ignorant. So maybe, "moron" is a bad word to be calling an asshole.

You sir, are not, in my opinion, a moron, ignorant or an asshole. But I would kindly ask you not to try to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, anymore.

We cool?

Trinnity
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I hear your words. Now hear mine. You are trying to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Do not insult my intelligence and I will not insult yours. Call anyone ignorant and they do, and should, take offense. There are just to many ways to tell someone that there is more to it than they know without calling them "ignorant." Only an asshole, who is meaning to offend, would condescendingly (is that even a word?) would tell someone, especially over and over again, that they are ignorant. So maybe, "moron" is a bad word to be calling an asshole.

You sir, are not, in my opinion, a moron, ignorant or an asshole. But I would kindly ask you not to try to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, anymore. We cool?We are not. I don't piss on peoples' legs, down their backs, or anywhere else. If I say someone is ignorant, it's on a specific topic or issue and I mean it literally. You're pretty ignorant about me.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=170&thumb=1&d=1337865716 <---- Me

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Yes, what liberals don't have.

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM

It's an oxymoron.

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM

I think Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher would be considered conservatives just about anywhere.

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Don't forget the media is all biased and 90% liberal.

Peter1469
07-27-2012, 05:14 PM
We are not. I don't piss on peoples' legs, down their backs, or anywhere else. If I say someone is ignorant, it's on a specific topic or issue and I mean it literally. You're pretty ignorant about me.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=170&thumb=1&d=1337865716 <---- Me

:kiss:

Agravan
07-27-2012, 05:22 PM
"No common sense" is an insult too, you moron.
Seriously. Why such anger and hatred from someone who supposedly believes in "peace, love, brotherhood and tolerance"? Do you actually believe in that or are you a hypocrite when you tell us you do?

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Seriously. Why such anger and hatred from someone who supposedly believes in "peace, love, brotherhood and tolerance"? Do you actually believe in that or are you a hypocrite when you tell us you do?

The latter.