PDA

View Full Version : Should the starting salary for a teacher be $60,000?

Mister D
09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, the problem is that teachers aren't being paid enough. ::)

How would the nation's school system be different if teachers were paid like engineers?

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan proposed last month that a significant boost in teacher salaries could transform public schools for the better by luring the country's brightest college graduates into the profession.

Teachers should be paid a starting salary of $60,000, Duncan said, with the opportunity to make up to $150,000 a year. That's higher than the salaries of most high school principals, who are generally paid much more than teachers.

The median salary among all middle school teachers, for example, not just those starting out in the profession, is around $52,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Snip

Would paying teachers 2 to 3 times more money mean that students would learn more? We don't know. But smaller raises of 20 percent or less have been ineffective, and one New York City school that embraced much higher pay has so far underperformed on state tests.

20% is a very big raise! Are they serious? That's the kind of raise yu get when you switch jobs.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/starting-salary-teacher-60-000-131728091.html

MMC
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Hell no they shouldn't start at 60k.....took my wife a long time. Like at least 10 yrs to get to 60k. Which did't count all the times she got riffed, right before she was to make Tenure.

Pendragon
09-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I have absolutely no problem what-so-ever with a teacher making $60,000 per year.

It depends on the teacher in question and what his or her role is in the school, along with experience level and effectiveness.

I do not have a problem with anyone making $60,000 per year.

The real problem is that many do not realize how difficult a job it is. That is the larger issue.

MMC
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I have absolutely no problem what-so-ever with a teacher making $60,000 per year.

It depends on the teacher in question and what his or her role is in the school, along with experience level and effectiveness.

I do not have a problem with anyone making $60,000 per year.

The real problem is that many do not realize how difficult a job it is. That is the larger issue.

I was going with the Question if they should Start at 60k.....do you think they should Start at such? I don't have a problem with teacher making that much or more. But not to start with!

Mister D
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
The job already has certain perks like summers off. In any case, the idea is that students will learn more because their teachers are getting paid more. Bull.

MMC
09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
The job already has certain perks like summers off. In any case, the idea is that students will learn more because their teachers are getting paid more. Bull.

I thought there was a Study with like NY schools which went with a similar idea of paying the teachers more but that it showed the students did not learn more.Yeah my wife is off for the Summer and paid the whole time. Off All holidays. 2 Weeks at Christmas, Week for Spring Break. Plus she only teaches K-6th.

Pendragon
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
It is amusing to me to see how the Right spins these issues.

No salary limits on CEOs taking public monies, but those greedy, wealthy teachers must be stopped!

Mister D
09-01-2011, 12:03 PM

No salary limits on CEOs taking public monies, but those greedy, wealthy teachers must be stopped!

It's not at all amusing that liberals must constantly rely on red herrings and straw men.

Pendragon
09-01-2011, 06:32 PM

It's not at all amusing that liberals must constantly rely on red herrings and straw men.

Why can we not speak on the issues?

Do you not find it ludicrous that teachers are being blamed for bankrupting our cities and states?

Do you truly believe in your heart of hearts that the teachers are responsible for this?

Mister D
09-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Why can we not speak on the issues?

Do you not find it ludicrous that teachers are being blamed for bankrupting our cities and states?

Do you truly believe in your heart of hearts that the teachers are responsible for this?

We can.

Teachers aren't being blamed for bankrupting our cities and states. That's another straw man. The teachers union is a problem in some respects but no one is denouncing teachres in general.

No. Does anyone?

Conley
09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Well, I didn't follow it too closely but in Wisconsin wasn't the Teachers' Union blamed for a lot of budget problems? I didn't follow it closely...I thought I heard that was the argument against them? Maybe Pen can fill us in.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, I didn't follow it too closely but in Wisconsin wasn't the Teachers' Union blamed for a lot of budget problems? I didn't follow it closely...I thought I heard that was the argument against them? Maybe Pen can fill us in.

They were blamed for some I'm sure. Like I said, the teachers union is a problem in some respects.

Conley
09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Unions in general can destroy local budgets...In some of those cases I blame the negotiators rather than the union, depends on the case. Certainly any one of us working alone would try to get as much as we could in a salary negotiation.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Unions in general can destroy local budgets...In some of those cases I blame the negotiators rather than the union, depends on the case. Certainly any one of us working alone would try to get as much as we could in a salary negotiation.

No doubt but if didn't perform we'd be told we no longer have a job.

Conley
09-01-2011, 08:24 PM

No doubt but if didn't perform we'd be told we no longer have a job.

Oh yeah. Tenure is ridiculous.

MMC
09-01-2011, 10:15 PM
My wife says her one argument, is against the Union. As they seem to do what they want politically. Which has nothing to do with them. For years she would be at a schools and sometimes for like 3 yrs and then when she aws about to make tenure. They would riff her. Then like with the one school district she was in it was like 3 years and then one could get tenure. Then that year they passed it where it would be 4 yrs. Then riffed her. This is even after being evaluated and having excellent marks for all.

The one year the Union made them Strike and none of the teachers in that district wanted to go on strike.