PDA

View Full Version : Backroom deals with teachers union may hurt Hillary

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Backroom deals with teachers union may hurt Hillary (https://www.the-newshub.com/us-politics/backroom-dealings-american-federation-of-teachers-endorsement-may-hurt-hillary-clinton)

The Union jumped the gun on its endorsement of Hillary and it raises both political and ethical questions especially considering Hillary's sinking numbers. But I am sure all of the union members represented by the endorsement agree, right?

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has secured the biggest endorsement in the 2016 campaign so far by landing the official thumbs-up of the American Federation of Teachers. The AFT, which represents some 1.6 million educators, is the first national union to endorse a presidential candidate during this cycle. While Clinton essentially had a lock on the union's endorsement, she may actually end up in hot water over it.

You see, the AFT was not supposed to endorse until July 30 at the earliest. According to Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/unions-seethe-over-early-clinton-endorsement-120206.html?hp=t2_r), the AFT is a member of the ALF-CIO organization of 56 national and international unions and was part of an unambiguous understanding to wait until July 30 to endorse. By jumping the gun, the AFT puts scrutiny on Clinton. Additional controversy comes from the fact that the AFT's president, Randi Weingarten, is a longtime close friend of Hillary Clinton. Even more controversy arrives due to the timing of the early endorsement: It comes as Bernie Sanders is surging in popularity...especially among labor unions.

Did Clinton and Weingarten override the rules to hand Clinton an early, powerful endorsement to counter the rise of Bernie Sanders?

zelmo1234
07-18-2015, 04:13 AM
Peter, You are accusing Mrs. Hillary Clinton of wrong doing.

That is impossible she is a Democrat,

You must be part of the vast rightwing conspiracy

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 04:20 AM
I am also accusing the union of wrongdoing.

zelmo1234
07-18-2015, 04:23 AM
I am also accusing the union of wrongdoing.

No not the unions that shipped protestors to any state that was thinking about voting for right to work and then pretended that it was grass roots?

And of course I am being silly.

IMPress Polly
07-18-2015, 06:12 AM
I'm sure it's with deep and heartfelt concern for the plight of teachers everywhere and with the interests of organized labor in mind that supporters of Scott Walker are raising this technicality as an issue and that there's no opportunism whatsoever motivating them to do so. :wink:

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 06:38 AM
I suspect the unions donated to the candidate they feel will best represent the interests of their members. I have no doubt they do expect to be rewarded for their donation.

Shall we discuss what a certain pair of brothers expect in return for their $900 million pledge to elect a repub president? Should we assume they are doing this just in the interest of democracy in action?

This article = wah, wah, wah. If there are objections to donations that expect favors, its hypocrisy to ignore other donations...don't ya think?

Common
07-18-2015, 06:53 AM
I suspect the unions donated to the candidate they feel will best represent the interests of their members. I have no doubt they do expect to be rewarded for their donation.

Shall we discuss what a certain pair of brothers expect in return for their $900 million pledge to elect a repub president? Should we assume they are doing this just in the interest of democracy in action?

This article = wah, wah, wah. If there are objections to donations that expect favors, its hypocrisy to ignore other donations...don't ya think?

Bingo but zelmo and other conservatives dont look at it that way. Its all those damn unions.

The union was wrong, my union never endorsed without first announcing it to the full board an the members. If the members were opposed they explained their choice then the decision was made.
This was obviously a rush to bypass all that to give Hillary the nod. Many of the members id bet that are teachers are looking at the more left Bernie Sanders

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 07:13 AM
I object to all of huge donations (unions/PACs/billionaires). Anyone who thinks this money doesn't come with strings attached shouldn't be trusted to cross the street unassisted.

We allow our government to be sold to the highest bidder and now, we aren't even told who owns it. The only thing we know for certain: it ain't us.

hanger4
07-18-2015, 07:20 AM

Surely you don't believe 900 - million is all Koch money ??

And no hypocrisy here, if ya wanna talk about moneys in general have at it. Those that focus on just one side (we all know those) are the ones I debunk.

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes, I do mean 900 million from Koch alone. I object to all the large $$$ donations but to complain about union donations to dems while ignoring donations to repubs is one-sided.

'Flexing its financial might, the political machine backed by billionaires Charles and David Koch on Monday told its allies that spending across its conservative network would approach $1 billion ahead of 2016's elections.The stunning sum from Freedom Partners would dwarf expected spending from official GOP committees and many of the hopefuls expected to seek the party's presidential nomination in 2016. The $889 million budget is almost twice what 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-the-third-time-be-the-charm-for-mitt-romney/) spent from his campaign accounts.'

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/koch-brothers-network-will-spend-almost-1-billion-on-2016-election/

hanger4
07-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Yes, I do mean 900 million from Koch alone. I object to all the large $$$ donations but to complain about union donations to dems while ignoring donations to repubs is one-sided.

'Flexing its financial might, the political machine backed by billionaires Charles and David Koch on Monday told its allies that spending across its conservative network would approach $1 billion ahead of 2016's elections.The stunning sum from Freedom Partners would dwarf expected spending from official GOP committees and many of the hopefuls expected to seek the party's presidential nomination in 2016. The $889 million budget is almost twice what 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-the-third-time-be-the-charm-for-mitt-romney/) spent from his campaign accounts.'

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/koch-brothers-network-will-spend-almost-1-billion-on-2016-election/

The only way you can say Koch personal moneys alone is to believe nobody contributes to the Freedom Partners pac but the Kochs. Your own link belies that fact.

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 07:52 AM
ok...are you positive that others have contributed or does it just sound better to say that others have contributed? Does it really matter? They are the ones in charge of this PAC....how many other PAC's are there now funneling money to both parties? We know they are buying politicians but we are not allowed to know who owns our politicians.

I don't find the idea that others donate to that fund to make much difference....they still own our government. Do I care how much Soros gives? No....it still gives the ownership papers for our government to individuals. Do you care which union is giving to the dems or is it ONLY the teacher's union that bothers you?

hanger4
07-18-2015, 08:22 AM
ok...are you positive that others have contributed or does it just sound better to say that others have contributed? Does it really matter? They are the ones in charge of this PAC....how many other PAC's are there now funneling money to both parties? We know they are buying politicians but we are not allowed to know who owns our politicians.

I don't find the idea that others donate to that fund to make much difference....they still own our government. Do I care how much Soros gives? No....it still gives the ownership papers for our government to individuals. Do you care which union is giving to the dems or is it ONLY the teacher's union that bothers you?

It's a fact, many others have contributed to and a lot;

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgave2.php?cmte=C00564765&cycle=2014

As to your mini hit OP, it only compared "official GOP committees" to the Koch pac. Why wouldn't they compare Pacs to Pacs ?? Seems sort of odd.

I've said this often, All are bought and come short of, by the people and for the people.

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Anyway, the teachers union jumped the gun and it looks like because of a personal relationship with Hillary. I imagine that was in the best interest of the union members..., right?

hanger4
07-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Anyway, the teachers union jumped the gun and it looks like because of a personal relationship with Hillary. I imagine that was in the best interest of the union members..., right?

Seems quite a number of union members ain't happy about it. I guess breaking union rules is okey dokey when you're at the top.

As far as the best interest of the members I'd think putting political contributions into the pension funds instead of a polys hands would be in the best interest by far.

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 10:15 AM
bingo

Tahuyaman
07-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Backroom deals with teachers union may hurt Hillary (https://www.the-newshub.com/us-politics/backroom-dealings-american-federation-of-teachers-endorsement-may-hurt-hillary-clinton)

The Union jumped the gun on its endorsement of Hillary and it raises both political and ethical questions especially considering Hillary's sinking numbers. But I am sure all of the union members represented by the endorsement agree, right?

Seriously, when Hillary is validated as the nominee do you expect them to abandon her? They'll fall in line just as they always do.

Peter1469
07-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Perhaps then they will follow their rules for political donations.

Tahuyaman
07-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Do I care how much Soros gives? No....

I know. You seem to reserve that concern for those rascally Koch Brothers.

Bob
07-21-2015, 05:10 PM
What the teachers never explained to me....

Democrats love Government. The more expensive the better. The more restrictive, the better.

So, why do teachers organize ... against ... hold on, it's coming .... to defeat government?