PDA

View Full Version : What do you think guide federal government policy the most

donttread
07-18-2015, 09:53 AM
1) Reason, science , real world evidence ?
2) The people's informed wishes?
3) Party rhetoric?
4) Irrational Emotion?
5) Whatever the megacorps want?

Crepitus
07-18-2015, 10:29 AM
5 somewhat tempered by 3.

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 10:44 AM
3, 4, and 5

donttread
07-18-2015, 10:45 AM
How do we move it back to 1 and 2?

Peter1469
07-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Let the establishment destroy the economy.

Start over - hopefully using 1 and 2.

Crepitus
07-18-2015, 10:55 AM
How do we move it back to 1 and 2?
http://www.1913intel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/nuke_pic1.jpg

The Sage of Main Street
07-18-2015, 01:31 PM
3) Party rhetoric?
4) Irrational Emotion?
5) Whatever the megacorps want? Whatever the Preppies want. Fulfilling a desire to impose themselves on us after death, the plutocrats coddle their brats and empower every faddish and degenerate urge the Young Masters get possessed by.

Tahuyaman
07-18-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't think any of those choices are appropriate. They are just fodder for useless partisan bickering.

The natural tendency of government is to gain more and more power over their "subjects". This has been the way of the world since the beginning of time. Even the founding fathers of the United States realized this and created the Constitution with intent of placing obstacles in government's way.

Unfortunately, government has figured out a way to gain control of institutions and indoctrinate too many people today fooling them into believing that the constitution's purpose is to limit the citizens rights.

Government naturally corrupts people. It's just that some support it, or are willing to accept it and others are not.

donttread
07-19-2015, 05:40 AM
I don't think any of those choices are appropriate. They are just fodder for useless partisan bickering.

The natural tendency of government is to gain more and more power over their "subjects". This has been the way of the world since the beginning of time. Even the founding fathers of the United States realized this and created the Constitution with intent of placing obstacles in government's way.

Unfortunately, government has figured out a way to gain control of institutions and indoctrinate too many people today fooling them into believing that the constitution's purpose is to limit the citizens rights.

Government naturally corrupts people. It's just that some support it, or are willing to accept it and others are not.

First my choices were not partisan
Second, I agree with you that government's naturally move from freedom to control ( If we would follow the Constitution it would slow this process as it was intended to do)
Third, in our case corporations own government so they are really the ones in control

Adelaide
07-19-2015, 10:05 AM
3, 4, and 5

Agreed.

Ravens Fan
07-19-2015, 10:10 AM
3) Party rhetoric?
4) Irrational Emotion?
5) Whatever the megacorps want?

I don't think the government even realizes that #1 and #2 exist.

donttread
07-20-2015, 02:42 AM
I don't think the government even realizes that #1 and #2 exist.

Nor will they until we remind them.

Ransom
07-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Nor will they until we remind them.

Ok let's inform them then...

We of the informed want same sex marriage, we want the Confederate flag to come down, we want people to tolerate and hero Caitlyn Jenner, we want to use our cell phones and connections while watching our smart TV's, driving our luxury cars, satisfying our instant gratification appetites, and remain in utter ignorance.

What of your stagnant economy, embarrassing workforce declines, immigration issues, war against ISIS? What of your lack of energy or entitlement policies, our massive Greek looking debt, the infanticide being practiced?

"informed wishes"

:biglaugh:

donttread
07-20-2015, 05:26 PM
ok let's inform them then...

We of the informed want same sex marriage, we want the confederate flag to come down, we want people to tolerate and hero caitlyn jenner, we want to use our cell phones and connections while watching our smart tv's, driving our luxury cars, satisfying our instant gratification appetites, and remain in utter ignorance.

What of your stagnant economy, embarrassing workforce declines, immigration issues, war against isis? What of your lack of energy or entitlement policies, our massive greek looking debt, the infanticide being practiced?

"informed wishes"

:biglaugh:

wtf?

Lineman
07-20-2015, 06:20 PM

Term limits of 8 years on federal and state elected offices.

Public campaign financing. Everyone gets the same amount, no business PAC, or private DONATIONS.

Ban lobbying of any kind.

Performance based pay for government employees, including elected.

Close military bases overseas.

Tahuyaman
07-20-2015, 06:54 PM

Public campaign financing. Everyone gets the same amount, no business PAC, or private DONATIONS.

I can support some of that.

donttread
07-21-2015, 06:23 AM

I like this plan, especially if public campaign finanacing goes beyond the "two major parties"

Peter1469
07-21-2015, 07:24 AM
If campaign financing is only for the two main parties then nothing will change. They are utterly corrupt.

Chris
07-21-2015, 08:57 AM
6) Power. The rest can be subsumed under that. I mean sure, they do the bidding of the rich, because they need money to support their power, and the rich need their power to get richer. And because power corrupts, it becomes systemic, structural, it's just the nature of the thing.