PDA

View Full Version : #BernieSoBlack: Why progressives are fighting about Bernie Sanders and race

Chris
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Division among the Democrats.

#BernieSoBlack: Why progressives are fighting about Bernie Sanders and race (http://www.vox.com/2015/7/20/9001639/bernie-sanders-black-lives-matter)

...Shortly after O'Malley took the stage, a group of protesters affiliated with the #BlackLivesMatter movement (which has been organizing for the last year or so to call attention to deaths of black men and women at the hands of police) marched into the room chanting "Which Side Are You On?" (a reference to an old-school labor song). Two women (Tia Oso and Patrisse Cullors) took the stage and the microphone and spoke about deaths of black men and women in police custody — specifically the recent suspicious death of Sandra Bland in Texas.

...O'Malley, attempting to respond to the protesters, said, "Black lives matter. White lives matter. All lives matter" — a phrase that's been used by critics of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and which activists see as an attempt to dismiss racial disparities in police shootings. O'Malley later told MSNBC that he wasn't aware of the connotations of "all lives matter," which is itself pretty illustrative of the disconnect between O'Malley and the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

...Sanders was defensive and cranky toward the protesters, saying "Black lives of course matter. But I've spent 50 years of my life fighting for civil rights. If you don't want me to be here, that's okay." At other times, he didn't acknowledge the protesters at all and raised his voice to be heard over them (which some attendees saw as Sanders "shouting down" the protesters).

Sanders didn't ignore the issue entirely. But to some observers, it felt like Sanders "stuck to his script" about economic injustice without giving racial injustice its due.

PolWatch
07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Maybe they can get 1/2 the publicity that Trump v/s RNC is getting. Equal opportunity cat fights! Sanders or Clinton need to insult someone so they can really get the media coverage.

Popcorn anyone?

Safety
07-22-2015, 10:42 AM
It's a non-issue, these folks know which side their bread is buttered.

Captain Obvious
07-22-2015, 10:49 AM
"Which side are you on"

That's about all you need to know.

Chris
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
It's a non-issue, these folks know which side their bread is buttered.

Who are you voting for?

Peter1469
07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
The democrats are disparate victims groups. One of them has decided not to play well with the other victims.

Show time at clown central.

Safety
07-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Who are you voting for?

I haven't even begun to think about it.

Safety
07-22-2015, 11:04 AM
It would be the same if some right-wing CCC group decided to interrupt a republican candidate. The only difference would be the people participating in the discussion.

Chris
07-22-2015, 11:42 AM
It would be the same if some right-wing CCC group decided to interrupt a republican candidate. The only difference would be the people participating in the discussion.

Except this is a conflict in the Dem party. I would think you'd have more interest and concern, just saying, about how the candidates prioritize issues.

PolWatch
07-22-2015, 11:45 AM
sorry, the dems are really kinda dull when compared against Trump v/s RNC. They are gonna have to up their game to get any attention.

Chris
07-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Trump is boring.

PolWatch
07-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Trump is boring.

au contraire! Its not often you see someone who consistently shoots his own party and then doubles down. I thought Biden was the current hoof-in-mouth-disease champ but he has lost his title.

Chris
07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
au contraire! Its not often you see someone who consistently shoots his own party and then doubles down. I thought Biden was the current hoof-in-mouth-disease champ but he has lost his title.

OK, they're funny, but not interesting.

PolWatch
07-22-2015, 11:57 AM
OK, they're funny, but not interesting.

That is true. Watching the dems is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. They really need to get some excitement going....other than pointing at Trump.

Chris
07-22-2015, 12:02 PM
The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

P. J. O'Rourke

Safety
07-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Except this is a conflict in the Dem party. I would think you'd have more interest and concern, just saying, about how the candidates prioritize issues.

It's only a conflict with the ones who are looking to be outraged over any little thing. Politicians are going to follow the money, the ones that don't have no chance of getting elected otherwise. My vote is probably going to the third party as it has the past 3 elections.

#blacklivesmatter only to those who make a living off of division and strife. Let me know when #citizenlivesmatter makes a debut.

Chris
07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
It's only a conflict with the ones who are looking to be outraged over any little thing. Politicians are going to follow the money, the ones that don't have no chance of getting elected otherwise. My vote is probably going to the third party as it has the past 3 elections.

#blacklivesmatter only to those who make a living off of division and strife. Let me know when #citizenlivesmatter makes a debut.

OK, so you don't put much faith in the establishment duopoly to do the right things, neither do I, none at all--even though we may differ on the right things.