PDA

View Full Version : Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds

Captain Obvious
07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
My gift to you IMPress Polly :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/07/20/men-who-harass-women-online-are-quite-literally-losers-new-study-finds/

Here’s a research finding that should surprise no one: The men most likely to harass women online … are the men most likely to have their own problems.

That bit of validation comes courtesy Michael Kasumovic and Jeffrey Kuznekoff, researchers at the University of New South Wales and Miami University, respectively. For their latest study (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0131613), published in the journal PLOS One last week, the duo watched how men treated women during 163 plays of the video game Halo 3.

As they watched the games play out and tracked the comments that players made to each other, the researchers observed that — no matter their skill level, or how the game went — men tended to be pretty cordial to each other. Male players who were good at the game also tended to pay compliments to other male and female players.

Some male players, however — the ones who were less-skilled at the game, and performing worse relative their peers — made frequent, nasty comments to the female gamers.

In other words, sexist dudes are literally losers.

IMPress Polly
07-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I feel the love, Cap'n!

Hmm...well interesting! That's something I hadn't really paid attention to before, but it makes a lot of sense. My principal observation on the subject up to now has simply been that a lot of guys who do that are shut-ins who haven't had too much success with women (which, let's face it, describes a large percentage of the current hardcore gamer community) and seem to kinda just hate women as a result of that. But this study makes an interesting connection I hadn't thought about before: the connection between game performance and sexist attitudes. Very interesting.

sachem
07-22-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm stunned.

The Xl
07-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Kids and women get it the worst online.

Tricia
07-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Just look at middle schoolers. The well adjusted, successful ones are never the bullies.

PolWatch
07-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Bullies are always cowards. They pick on those younger or smaller than they are in an attempt to over-compensate for their inadequacies. A well adjusted,confident person doesn't need to bully or demean others.