PDA

View Full Version : $1 trillion unfunded military pension liability

Lineman
07-24-2015, 10:48 AM
But Mitch wants to cut Social Security benefits.... benefits the retirees paid for out of their own money during their work lives.

No mention of cuts to military retirees pensions funded by taxpayers...

Captain Obvious
07-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Another progressive ponzi scheme?

Links help, Gomer.

Common
07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
But Mitch wants to cut Social Security benefits.... benefits the retirees paid for out of their own money during their work lives.

and there should NEVER be any cuts to military retiree pensions, take it out privledged dodge drafting piece of crap like Donald Trump and the Koch Brothers.

Peter1469
07-24-2015, 11:00 AM
State and local government pensions are at a $1T shortfall. (http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/07/pension-fund-liabilities-2014/)

I have never seen anything about military retirements. I do know it is a big part of DoD's budget and it is not likely that they are underfunded.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2015, 11:02 AM
State and local government pensions are at a $1T shortfall. (http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/07/pension-fund-liabilities-2014/)

I have never seen anything about military retirements. I do know it is a big part of DoD's budget and it is not likely that they are underfunded.

From the article:

total unfunded U.S. state and local pensions likely topped $1 trillion in 2014

So the OP was a lie basically.

Mac-7
07-24-2015, 03:02 PM

I don't think McConnell wants to cut current retirees but rather changes for the future.

Mac-7
07-24-2015, 03:04 PM
I would like to see a reduction in force for civilian employees equal to the reduction in active duty personnel.

Its only fair that Obama voters take a hit also.

donttread
07-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Unfunded? Really? That's even dumber than most government policy

Lineman
07-24-2015, 05:45 PM
http://m.pionline.com/article/20120123/PRINT/301239975/budget-puts-military-pension-plan-in-cross-hairs

I figured google was easy for yall, that way my link source wouldnt become the topic.

Tahuyaman
07-24-2015, 09:07 PM
$1 trillion unfunded military pension liability

Do you propose eliminating military pensions or something? What's your point here?

Lineman
07-25-2015, 05:41 PM
What is so difficult here?

Taxpayers provide those pensions for the military.

Mitch is planning to CUT retirement benefits to taxpayers who funded their own benefits, while no mention of the military pensions being cut while running far deeper into the abyss.

Read the article and then tell me what Mitch is afraid of.

donttread
07-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Do you propose eliminating military pensions or something? What's your point here?

Have a damn funding plan before you offer these pensions. These men and women have a deal and the pension is why many stay. You can't change the deal now. You can change the deal for those coming in now , which might be a great way to down size the military.

PolWatch
07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Have a damn funding plan before you offer these pensions. These men and women have a deal and the pension is why many stay. You can't change the deal now. You can change the deal for those coming in now , which might be a great way to down size the military.

Yes, they can change the rules. The final act of Congress 2014 passed a law that allowed them to cut pensions for current retirees in plans that were ruled underfunded. Some of the retirees lost 1/3 of their pensions. Of course, this didn't apply to Congressional retirees....recipients of pensions from the most underfunded organization of all....the US government.

donttread
07-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Yes, they can change the rules. The final act of Congress 2014 passed a law that allowed them to cut pensions for current retirees in plans that were ruled underfunded. Some of the retirees lost 1/3 of their pensions. Of course, this didn't apply to Congressional retirees....recipients of pensions from the most underfunded organization of all....the US government.

donttread
07-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Good point , they cam and will do anything and everything we the sheep allow them to

Lineman
07-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Not that long ago, the military pension operated on Paygo. Congress changed it to this mess we have now so they could raid the fund, and create debt so banks could collect interest.

Our government works for themselves.

Term limits would be a great first step in the right direction.

donttread
07-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Not that long ago, the military pension operated on Paygo. Congress changed it to this mess we have now so they could raid the fund, and create debt so banks could collect interest.

Our government works for themselves.

Term limits would be a great first step in the right direction.

Funds should be earmaked and kept out of the "general fund" AKA pit of bottomless spendiing