PDA

View Full Version : In North Carolina, protection for monuments!

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 01:12 PM
http://rowanfreepress.com/2015/07/23/governor-mccrory-signs-senate-bill-22-cultural-history-artifact-management-and-patriotism-act-protecting-monuments-and-flags/

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2015&BillID=S22

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED2 AN ACT TO ENSURE RESPECTFUL TREATMENT OF THE AMERICAN FLAG AND3 THE NORTH CAROLINA FLAG BY STATE AGENCIES AND OTHER POLITICAL4 SUBDIVISIONS OF THE STATE; TO ESTABLISH THE DIVISION OF VETERANS5 AFFAIRS AS THE CLEARINGHOUSE FOR THE DISPOSAL OF WORN, TATTERED,6 AND DAMAGED FLAGS; TO PROVIDE FOR THE PROTECTION OF MONUMENTS7 AND MEMORIALS COMMEMORATING EVENTS, PERSONS, AND MILITARY8 SERVICE IN NORTH CAROLINA HISTORY; AND TO TRANSFER CUSTODY OF9 CERTAIN HISTORIC DOCUMENTS IN THE POSSESSION OF THE OFFICE OF THE10 SECRETARY OF STATE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL RESOURCES11 AND TO FACILITATE PUBLIC OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW THESE DOCUMENTS.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/Senate/PDF/S22v3.pdf

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Respectful treatment of the "American" flag?

In other words, they want to criminalize freedom of speech and expression?

Captain Obvious
08-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Freedom no longer frees you

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 01:23 PM

Read it all. Burn your own flag. Desecrate a flag on state property, that happens to belong to the state... nuther ball game.

Vandalized a monument? Nope not here.

even this one:
http://i1.wp.com/topconservativenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/black_panther_thugs.jpg?resize=560%2C420

Cigar
08-03-2015, 01:30 PM

You can always go to another country and disrespect their Flag for your freedom of speech and expression. :laugh:

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 01:35 PM
You can always go to another country and disrespect their Flag for your freedom of speech and expression. :laugh:

He can still burn flags Cigar, just not the ones that belong to the state or others. He can buy his own and burn it, but in NC it can get you killed in many areas.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Read it all. Burn your own flag. Desecrate a flag on state property, that happens to belong to the state... nuther ball game.

Vandalized a monument? Nope not here.

even this one:
http://i1.wp.com/topconservativenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/black_panther_thugs.jpg?resize=560%2C420

They need a law against destroying public property? I would assume that such a law already exists.

Cigar
08-03-2015, 01:39 PM
He can still burn flags @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294), just not the ones that belong to the state or others. He can buy his own and burn it, but in NC it can get you killed in many areas.

I never could understand the Burning of any Flag ... :laugh:

I have White Bed Sheets and I don't Burn Them, I sleep on them. :grin:

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 01:41 PM

Or maybe you should go to a country that doesn't have freedom of speech and expression codified in their constitution so that you can trample on people's rights with impunity. Perhaps North Korea would be more to your liking?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 01:42 PM
He can still burn flags @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294), just not the ones that belong to the state or others. He can buy his own and burn it, but in NC it can get you killed in many areas.

Anyone who tries to hurt another person for engaging in freedom of speech is an anti-American savage who belongs in a prison cell or six feet underground.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I never could understand the Burning of any Flag ... :laugh:

I have White Bed Sheets and I don't Burn Them, I sleep on them. :grin:

Nobody cares if you understand it or not. It's a right guaranteed by the first amendment of the constitution. If you don't like it, then move to North Korea where there is no freedom of speech and people worship the state. I'm sure you will feel more at home there.

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Anyone who tries to hurt another person for engaging in freedom of speech is an anti-American savage who belongs in a prison cell or six feet underground.

Sure it is freedom of speech but with it may come consequences. Still they are not talking about desecrating your own flags.

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Nobody cares if you understand it or not. It's a right guaranteed by the first amendment of the constitution. If you don't like it, then move to North Korea where there is no freedom of speech and people worship the state. I'm sure you will feel more at home there.

Or understand that Speech does not involve fire!

It was not the intent of the first.

sachem
08-03-2015, 01:58 PM
I hate these "feel good" laws that basically restate laws already in existence. Political pandering.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Sure it is freedom of speech but with it may come consequences. Still they are not talking about desecrating your own flags.

Anyone trying to infringe on my first amendment rights will be introduced to my second amendment rights.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Or understand that Speech does not involve fire!

It was not the intent of the first.

And what about private property rights? If I buy a flag, it's mine to burn, is it not?

PolWatch
08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
I hate these "feel good" laws that basically restate laws already in existence. Political pandering.

Reelection legislation: it keeps the politicians from doing anything meaningful....sometimes that's a good thing. They can brag about how they are protecting something or the other....even if the something wasn't under attack and there are already laws on the books covering the other.

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Anyone trying to infringe on my first amendment rights will be introduced to my second amendment rights.

And you come in my yard I will let you meet my 2nd. You go and deface public property you may meet the second around here as well.

Do you think you have a right to destroy state, federal, municipal or private property?

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:09 PM
And you come in my yard I will let you meet my 2nd. You go and deface public property you may meet the second around here as well.

Except I'm not trying to do any of those things, and there are already laws against trespassing and defacing public property, so what is the purpose of these if not to infringe on my right to freedom of expression and private property?

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
And what about private property rights? If I buy a flag, it's mine to burn, is it not?

Man I said as much. This is only about government, municipal, private property.

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Man I said as much. This is only about government, municipal, private property.

There are already laws against defacing and destroying public and private property.

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Except I'm not trying to do any of those things, and there are already laws against trespassing and defacing public property, so what is the purpose of these if not to infringe on my right to freedom of expression and private property?

And I agree. This was to give teeth to the laws and prevent municipalities or private groups from desecrating historic or public items. Like digging up dead people.

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 02:13 PM
There are already laws against defacing and destroying public and private property.

And how many were jailed for pulling down the US flag in Baltimore?

Cigar
08-03-2015, 02:19 PM

I'm quite sure you're allowed to be a Moron on your own land.

Actually it's preferred

Archer0915
08-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Actually it's preferred

I never could figure out how those broke ass American hating muzzies always could get US flags to burn.

Cigar
08-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I never could figure out how those broke ass American hating muzzies always could get US flags to burn.

I think they use the back of their necks ... :grin:

That explains the color :laugh:

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Actually it's preferred

You're the authority on being a moron, so you would know best.

Cigar
08-03-2015, 02:34 PM
You're the authority on being a moron, so you would know best.

I did not personally attack you, so why why Personal Attack? :huh:

Ethereal
08-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I did not personally attack you, so why why Personal Attack? :huh:

Oh, really?

Actually it's preferred

Either you're lying or you're just stupid. Which one is it?

PolWatch
08-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Please keep the discussion civil. No provoking. No retaliation. Thread bans to follow