PDA

View Full Version : Israeli President: Netanyahu's Anti-Iran Stance Harming Country

Mark III
08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Israeli President: Netanyahu's Anti-Iran Stance Harming Country

http://gdb.voanews.com/81703788-67DA-4A46-B1B5-1159EBBA6C1C_w640_r1_s.jpg (http://gdb.voanews.com/81703788-67DA-4A46-B1B5-1159EBBA6C1C_mw1024_s_n.jpg)
FIReuters
August 06, 2015 9:41 AM

JERUSALEM—Israel's president suggested on Thursday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been overzealous in opposing the Iran nuclear deal, opening a "battlefront" with Washington and isolating his country.
Reuven Rivlin, who holds the largely ceremonial head of state post, argued in three separate newspaper interviews that Netanyahu's vigorous campaign against last month's nuclear deal between world powers and Iran could ultimately hurt Israel.
A former right-wing politician with a history of strained ties to the prime minister, Rivlin has voiced his own reservations about the deal but put it in a wider diplomatic context in the interviews.
'Battlefront' opened
"I am very worried about the battlefront that has opened up between (U.S. President Barack) Obama and Netanyahu and the (state of) relations between the United States and Israel," he told the Maariv newspaper.
"The prime minister has waged a campaign against the United States as if the two sides were equal and this is liable to hurt Israel," Rivlin said.
"I must say that he understands the United States better than I do, but, nonetheless, we are largely isolated in the world," he said in some of his most critical comments about Netanyahu's strategy on the Iranian issue since becoming president a year ago.
http://gdb.voanews.com/56C253B2-4E90-4CD8-9A5E-B79A45FD26DA_w640_s.jpg (http://gdb.voanews.com/56C253B2-4E90-4CD8-9A5E-B79A45FD26DA_mw1024_s_n.jpg)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attends a cabinet meeting in Jerusalem, Aug. 5, 2015.
"I have told him (Netanyahu), and I'm telling him again, that struggles, even those that are just, can ultimately come at Israel's expense," the president told the Haaretz daily.
In a speech on Wednesday, Obama defended the agreement as a "hard-won diplomatic solution" that has gained almost unanimous international support.
Obama acknowledged his administration's split with Netanyahu, who has called the deal a threat to Israel's survival and urged Congress to oppose the accord. But he said that the Israeli leader, though sincere, was wrong.

http://www.voanews.com/content/israeli-president-prime-minister-netanyahus-anti-iran-stance-harming-country/2903869.html

Mark III
08-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Israeli will become more and more isolated internationally and Netanyahu will blame everyone but himself.

exotix
08-06-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm surprised Israel hasn't nuked Iran ... I mean, they have at least 80 nukes and Iran has zero.

Peter1469
08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Israel will attack when they feel it necessary. Up till know they are just trying to get the US to do it for them.

They are a big boy and can handle their own affairs.

Mac-7
08-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Israeli will become more and more isolated internationally and Netanyahu will blame everyone but himself.

The closet Muslim will not be in the White House for ever.

Bo-4
08-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Israel will attack when they feel it necessary. Up till know they are just trying to get the US to do it for them.

They are a big boy and can handle their own affairs.

Good, so we can cut off their 3 billion dollar annual welfare payment?

Mac-7
08-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Only if liberals are willing to cut off all foreign assistance including our contribution to the UN.

Peter1469
08-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Sure. Why not?

Adelaide
08-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Only if liberals are willing to cut off all foreign assistance including our contribution to the UN.

Example of extremism... from you unsurprising. You need to learn about subtlety and that the world is many shades of grey, not black and white. This is as ridiculous as hyperbolic plans to completely get rid of all social programs, or bomb all Muslim countries, so on. You have to look at each case of funding being provided to allies and decide which cases are cases where the aid will benefit the US; you can't just stop all funding and aid. It serves an important purpose in some cases... and in the case of Israel, it probably isn't really necessary at this point, either practically or to maintain a relationship.

There's only so much bloviating you can do before you sound just plain silly.

zelmo1234
08-06-2015, 10:19 PM

Actually NO we will be forced to honor our alliances.

Radical Islam, and yes that means Iran will not be defeated by appeasement no matter how much the left believes it will happen

donttread
08-07-2015, 03:17 AM
I'm surprised Israel hasn't nuked Iran ... I mean, they have at least 80 nukes and Iran has zero.

Perhaps they will, but whatever action they take should be on their own and strictly between they and Iran.

Mac-7
08-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Example of extremism... from you unsurprising. You need to learn about subtlety and that the world is many shades of grey, not black and white. This is as ridiculous as hyperbolic plans to completely get rid of all social programs, or bomb all Muslim countries, so on. You have to look at each case of funding being provided to allies and decide which cases are cases where the aid will benefit the US; you can't just stop all funding and aid. It serves an important purpose in some cases... and in the case of Israel, it probably isn't really necessary at this point, either practically or to maintain a relationship.

There's only so much bloviating you can do before you sound just plain silly.

For liberals subtlety means cutting off aid to countries they don't like that are too conservative and giving the money to their fellow liberals instead.

I support aid to our closest ally in the region but if its just a money thing then cut off the money to everyone.