PDA

View Full Version : Hunters what weapos do you use in the field?

donttread
08-07-2015, 04:41 AM
I'm about as old fashion as it gets. I still deer hunt with an old Model 94 30/30 Carbine that was my fathers. They may lack the range and knock down of some modern guns but they are easy to carry and get a shot off with when in heavy brush. I typically don't hunt where long shots are an option and knock down doesn't matter so much if you hit your kill zone.
There must be other hunters here, what do you carry in the woods?

donttread
08-07-2015, 04:48 AM
I'm about as old fashion as it gets. I still deer hunt with an old Model 94 30/30 Carbine that was my fathers. They may lack the range and knock down of some modern guns but they are easy to carry and get a shot off with when in heavy brush. I typically don't hunt where long shots are an option and knock down doesn't matter so much if you hit your kill zone.

Also for waterfowl hunting I don't think you can beat the Remington Model 870, especially dollar for dollar. (and it doesn't even have to be the wing master version) It just simply performs no matter what the conditions and if you are a duck hunter ,especially in the north, you know the conditions I am referring to. You know when the swamps are full of duck hunters and all the sane people are at home!

hanger4
08-07-2015, 06:11 AM
Marlin 336 - .35 Remington

Don't hunt deer or hog like I use to, Once maybe twice a year now but still have it. Bought it in 1970 when I was 16.

donttread
08-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Marlin 336 - .35 Remington

Don't hunt deer or hog like I use to, Once maybe twice a year now but still have it. Bought it in 1970 when I was 16.

I used to have a .35. Nice guns

AeonPax
08-07-2015, 07:18 AM
`
Hands down, my bolt action Browning BAR .30-06. Versatile cartridges make it ideal for deer hunting (which I do) and if ever need be, home defense. Been using one for five years now.

Safety
08-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Depends on the terrain I am hunting, in dense woods: either my .30-30 or .308, sparse open field: .30-06, when I really need to reach out and touch something: 7mm Rem Mag.

Green Arrow
08-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Barnett Ghost 410 CRT.

donttread
08-07-2015, 01:33 PM
`
Hands down, my bolt action Browning BAR .30-06. Versatile cartridges make it ideal for deer hunting (which I do) and if ever need be, home defense. Been using one for five years now.

That gun packs some punch.

donttread
08-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Depends on the terrain I am hunting, in dense woods: either my .30-30 or .308, sparse open field: .30-06, when I really need to reach out and touch something: 7mm Rem Mag.

Another 30/30 man!

Chloe
08-07-2015, 01:54 PM
What do I carry in the woods when I go hunting? Depends on the season but I have a backpack with some essentials in it like a fire starter, first aid kit, bear spray, life straw, compass, whistle, map, toiletries, sealed pack of dry clothes, some snacks, water, knife, flashlight, sleeping pad and my camera. I don't bring a gun and I dont leave with anything I didn't bring. I typically hunt for the most peaceful spot to basically enjoy that moment in nature, do some yoga or meditate, camp, or take pictures. It's great.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 01:56 PM
What do I carry in the woods when I go hunting? Depends on the season but I have a backpack with some essentials in it like a fire starter, first aid kit, bear spray, life straw, compass, whistle, map, toiletries, sealed pack of dry clothes, some snacks, water, knife, flashlight, sleeping pad and my camera. I don't bring a gun and I dont leave with anything I didn't bring. I typically hunt for the most peaceful spot to basically enjoy that moment in nature, do some yoga or meditate, camp, or take pictures. It's great.

Well, if you can find someone to give you some basic instructions on how to use a firearm, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to bring it with you to the wilderness. Not sure how effective bear spray really is, but a firearm seems like more of a sure bet.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 01:57 PM
I hunt with binoculars & a camera.....from my back porch (ceiling fans & screens are required for comfortable shooting in my house!)

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 01:59 PM
`

A .30-06 rifle for home defense? A shotgun or a pistol are probably better options.

Chloe
08-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Well, if you can find someone to give you some basic instructions on how to use a firearm, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to bring it with you to the wilderness. Not sure how effective bear spray really is, but a firearm seems like more of a sure bet.

I understand that point of view but to me bringing a firearm into a wilderness just seems wrong to me. It's hard to explain my thoughts on this but it's just the way I see things I guess. To me if I'm going to be out in nature I don't want to basically carry something with me that would be meant to kill something in its own home. It would also detach me from the mental peace that I want and get when I go backcountry hiking. I hope that makes sense.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't object to hunting. I have hunted in the past and most of my family still hunts. I believe that responsible hunters actually help the population of wildlife and are a positive force in keeping our wildlife populations healthy.

I do object to those who hunt for ego (trophy) because I'm of the old-school....if you kill it, you eat it. The only other acceptable reason to kill a wild animal is an immediate direct threat to humans.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 02:08 PM
I understand that point of view but to me bringing a firearm into a wilderness just seems wrong to me. It's hard to explain my thoughts on this but it's just the way I see things I guess. To me if I'm going to be out in nature I don't want to basically carry something with me that would be meant to kill something in its own home. It would also detach me from the mental peace that I want and get when I go backcountry hiking. I hope that makes sense.

Sure, I just hope you don't need a gun some day. Probability of being attacked is relatively low, so you should be fine, but we don't wear seat-belts because we get into accidents all the time, we put them on just in case that low probability event happens. If a bear or something similar every tried to kill you, you'd be happy you had it.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I don't object to hunting. I have hunted in the past and most of my family still hunts. I believe that responsible hunters actually help the population of wildlife and are a positive force in keeping our wildlife populations healthy.

I do object to those who hunt for ego (trophy) because I'm of the old-school....if you kill it, you eat it. The only other acceptable reason to kill a wild animal is an immediate direct threat to humans.

I agree with that, too. The native Americans had a lot of things right, especially when it came to their relationship with nature.

Peter1469
08-07-2015, 02:12 PM
I use to bring my SIG P220 with me in the wilderness when I had it. I was more worried about the two legged animals. I also bring my tomahawk as that is a multipurpose tool.

Bob
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM

Seldom have I hunted game and deer was it.
At the time, I had a very nice Winchester model 70 Featherweight 30.06.

If you did not mind the kick of a freight train, it sure did a fine job.

Me, I was not able to find deer and that ended that for me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Winchester-Model-70/Browse.aspx?Keywords=Winchester+Model+70

Mine was the pre 1964 model that has the Mauser action. I had a gun smith mount a very nice scope on it.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 02:18 PM
I use to bring my SIG P220 with me in the wilderness when I had it. I was more worried about the two legged animals. I also bring my tomahawk as that is a multipurpose tool.

Sounds like you are prepared for anything.....good thing you are not into trophy hunting.

Husband usually takes a Beretta 1911....former Boy Scout leader....always prepared

Bob
08-07-2015, 02:28 PM
`

Do you mean the military BAR? That is a heavy weapon.

I had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30.06 that packed a punch. The scope gave it longer range accuracy.

AeonPax
08-07-2015, 02:32 PM
A .30-06 rifle for home defense? A shotgun or a pistol are probably better options.
`
I should have said, in addition to a more practical hand gun or called it a "home offense" weapon.

del
08-07-2015, 02:32 PM
boys .55 for varmints

bofors 20mm for deer

AeonPax
08-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Do you mean the military BAR? That is a heavy weapon. I had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30.06 that packed a punch. The scope gave it longer range accuracy.
`
Sorry. It's not a bolt action. I was thinking of something else when I wrote that. However, it is semi-auto. Let's just say where I live, (northern WI) I'm prepared to live off the grid and that rifle, though expensive, suits my requirements.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 02:50 PM
`
Sorry. It's not a bolt action. I was thinking of something else when I wrote that. However, it is semi-auto. Let's just say where I live, (northern WI) I'm prepared to live off the grid and that rifle, though expensive, suits my requirements.

The UP looks like an area that requires planning like that. Beautiful area

Bob
08-07-2015, 02:51 PM
`

No, it is no bolt action as you state. I fired the BAR a lot in the Army in 1962. I think I still hold the record at the 300 and 500 yard ranges using that weapon. At least at Ft. Ord CA I was told by my CO that I had the record. I came within 2 points of a perfect score.

Green Arrow
08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
I also used to use a good compound bow, but I don't have the chest strength for that anymore. I have to train myself to be able to use a regular bow again.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 05:20 PM
My favorite is still a stick and a string. Something great about using a recurve and a wooden arrow.

Green Arrow
08-07-2015, 05:23 PM
My favorite is still a stick and a string. Something great about using a recurve and a wooden arrow.

Oh yeah, good old fashioned bows are great too. I taught an archery class at our denomination's annual kids' summer camp, that was good fun. You had to actually aim higher or lower than the target depending on how far away it was, account for the wind, all that. The kids were always impressed when I aimed a good five feet above the target and still hit it dead on :cool:

Don
08-07-2015, 06:08 PM
I still use a boomerang mate.

jimmyz
08-07-2015, 06:52 PM

^^^ Bear food ^^^

jimmyz
08-07-2015, 06:53 PM
I hunt with binoculars & a camera.....from my back porch (ceiling fans & screens are required for comfortable shooting in my house!)

^^^ pragmatic potential bear food ^^^

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
^^^ pragmatic potential bear food ^^^

nope...the alligators eat the bears in my neighborhood.

Chloe
08-07-2015, 06:58 PM
^^^ Bear food ^^^

Its far more likely for me to die from getting lost and then dying from dehydration or exposure before being killed by a bear. Bears want to avoid people as much as we want to avoid them in the wild. I've been backcountry hiking for most of my life and have seen and have been seen by many bears. It's about respecting nature and making responsible choices in the wild.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Its far more likely for me to die from getting lost and then dying from dehydration or exposure before being killed by a bear. Bears want to avoid people as much as we want to avoid them in the wild. I've been backcountry hiking for most of my life and have been seen and have been seen by many bears. It's about respecting nature and making responsible choices in the wild.

Unless you happen to wander between Momma and her Cubs, just be careful kid. But I am sure that you already are.

Chloe
08-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Unless you happen to wander between Momma and her Cubs, just be careful kid. But I am sure that you already are.

The only scare I've ever had was when I was hiking in British Columbia and was going through a part of a trail that was pretty dense on both sides of me and when I rounded a corner a bear was about 20 feet ahead sitting down but as soon as it saw me it bolted down the trail and then into the forest. I waited for about 10 minutes and then turned around and went back to a less dense part of the forest.

jimmyz
08-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Its far more likely for me to die from getting lost and then dying from dehydration or exposure before being killed by a bear. Bears want to avoid people as much as we want to avoid them in the wild. I've been backcountry hiking for most of my life and have seen and have been seen by many bears. It's about respecting nature and making responsible choices in the wild.

Does your politics preclude you from carrying a rifle or pistol for protection form North American carnivores? I've been accosted by a mountain lion in my camp not far from LA. I couldn't use my weapon due to the proximity of other campers in their tents late one night. Throwing a roasting tri-tip roast toward it was the only way I could get it to leave. We tried everything rocks (hitting it square on the head and body), yelling, cans of soda, etc lol

Chloe
08-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Does your politics preclude you from carrying a rifle or pistol for protection form North American carnivores? I've been accosted by a mountain lion in my camp not far from LA. I couldn't use my weapon due to the proximity of other campers in their tents late one night. Throwing a roasting tri-tip roast toward it was the only way I could get it to leave. We tried everything rocks (hitting it square on the head and body), yelling, cans of soda, etc lol

my politics doesn't preclude me it's just a personal choice, I just don't believe in guns. I'm not scared of mountain lions, wolves or bears. I have a healthy and knowledgable respect for them and I take necessary precautions whenever I enter their home. They are not out to kill me, nor I them.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 07:20 PM
my politics doesn't preclude me it's just a personal choice, I just don't believe in guns. I'm not scared of mountain lions, wolves or bears. I have a healthy and knowledgable respect for them and I take necessary precautions whenever I enter their home. They are not out to kill me, nor I them.

Those Dogs and Teddy Bears are OK but the Kitty Cats play ruff. But I don't think that you have to carry a gun to be safe. the gun is more for the 2 legged idiots and criminals.

It sounds like you are making the right choices.

And I bet is was cool seeing a bear that close

Chloe
08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Those Dogs and Teddy Bears are OK but the Kitty Cats play ruff. But I don't think that you have to carry a gun to be safe. the gun is more for the 2 legged idiots and criminals.

It sounds like you are making the right choices.

And I bet is was cool seeing a bear that close

Yeah it was very cool, scary, but cool. I love bears though so it was definitely the highlight of that hike.

Redrose
08-07-2015, 08:15 PM

That is very true, we see black bears here quite often. If you make noise they avoid you, if you startle them, you're dead.

I walked around the side of my house and a large bear was right there by my air conditioner eating berries. He roared and let me know who was boss. I backed away slowly, turned the corner and bolted into my house.

My cabin a few miles away had a bear or two climb up the supports and break into the cabin. The renters left garbage on the deck and donut boxes on the kitchen table. They can and will be aggressive. They did a lot of damage.

Cletus
08-07-2015, 10:40 PM

Respect them all you want. Just remember, you are nothing to them.

When I am out in the sticks I carry a .45-70. I have had numerous encounters with bears, and it is true that for the most part, they don't want anything more to do with you than you do with them. The operative part of that statement however, is "for the most part". If you encounter one that is hurt or sick or with a cub or hungry, the only difference between you and any other prey is that you will be easier to catch.

All the encounters I have has with Cougar have been near water. Fortunately for both of us, they have always decided that whatever there was of interest to them there was important enough to cause them not to take too much of an interest in me. A cat will actively hunt you.

To say "They are not out to kill me" may be true most of the time, but it only takes the one time it is not true for you to see one from the inside. I think it is naive and irresponsible to not carry a gun in that environment. There have been a lot of people who have taken that attitude and usually, the search parties don't find a whole lot more than maybe a hiking boot and piles of scat that are NOT full of undigested berries.

Archer0915
08-07-2015, 11:29 PM
.454 Casull, .357 MAG, AK-47 (5 rnd clip), .270 PUMP.

I do not need to go far at all so no gear necessary:

Chloe
08-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Respect them all you want. Just remember, you are nothing to them.

When I am out in the sticks I carry a .45-70. I have had numerous encounters with bears, and it is true that for the most part, they don't want anything more to do with you than you do with them. The operative part of that statement however, is "for the most part". If you encounter one that is hurt or sick or with a cub or hungry, the only difference between you and any other prey is that you will be easier to catch.

All the encounters I have has with Cougar have been near water. Fortunately for both of us, they have always decided that whatever there was of interest to them there was important enough to cause them not to take too much of an interest in me. A cat will actively hunt you.

To say "They are not out to kill me" may be true most of the time, but it only takes the one time it is not true for you to see one from the inside. I think it is naive and irresponsible to not carry a gun in that environment. There have been a lot of people who have taken that attitude and usually, the search parties don't find a whole lot more than maybe a hiking boot and piles of scat that are NOT full of undigested berries.

It may sound cheesy but being armed with knowledge of the ecosystem you are in, respect for the wildlife, and knowing what to do in various situations in the wild will keep you alive much longer than that gun will. I wonder how many black bear for example have been killed by a hiker with no real knowledge of how to calmly react to seeing a bear because he or she shot it because of fear. It's like people who run from a bear and wonder why they were mauled, or run and then climb a tree only to find themselves in more trouble from that black bear. The gun doesn't keep you as safe as you think on my opinion. Having wilderness knowledge and understanding how to properly react is more effective in 99% of situations. FYI if you see a mountain lion in the wild then most likely it has been aware of you for atleast a half hour or longer before that. That gun is pretty much useless if a mountain lion stalks and then attacks you. Unless you some quick draw champ and an expert shot.

zelmo1234
08-08-2015, 12:45 AM
It may sound cheesy but being armed with knowledge of the ecosystem you are in, respect for the wildlife, and knowing what to do in various situations in the wild will keep you alive much longer than that gun will. I wonder how many black bear for example have been killed by a hiker with no real knowledge of how to calmly react to seeing a bear because he or she shot it because of fear. It's like people who run from a bear and wonder why they were mauled, or run and then climb a tree only to find themselves in more trouble from that black bear. The gun doesn't keep you as safe as you think on my opinion. Having wilderness knowledge and understanding how to properly react is more effective in 99% of situations. FYI if you see a mountain lion in the wild then most likely it has been aware of you for atleast a half hour or longer before that. That gun is pretty much useless if a mountain lion stalks and then attacks you. Unless you some quick draw champ and an expert shot.

Wrong. In the case of a Cat stalking you to attack, the gun is very useful. In the rare case were Cat's do stalk and attack humans you knowledge is fairly useless. But that gun is very unhealthy for the Cat.

and Dead Cats tell no lies. Now these cases are extremely rare. So I agree with your choice the vast majority of the time. But if Attacked, the gun is pretty effective in keeping you alive and the attacking animal not so alive.

AeonPax
08-08-2015, 01:29 AM
The UP looks like an area that requires planning like that. Beautiful area
`
From where I live in Northern WI, the UP is not that close, although I have visited areas on the Lake Superior side of the UP and agree it's beautiful.

Cletus
08-08-2015, 02:48 AM

You actually believe that stuff eh?

Well, when you come face to face with 400 pound Black Bear who is having a bad day, make sure you tell him that according to the "experts", he is supposed to act in a particular way.

Me, I'll stick with the .45-70 loaded with 405 grain Buffalo Bore rounds.

Oh, and what you said about the cat... more uninformed nonsense. Have you ever encountered a Cougar in the wild?

donttread
08-08-2015, 07:45 AM

That's great Chloe. I'm also glad you are so prepared when you hike . I do those sorts of things to, not to the extent you can, because I'm kinda old but I still hike . Would of never expected you to show up on this post and thanks for not getting nasty. For what it's worth, hunting is part of rural American sub culture, but we are not like the lion killing dentist, we eat what we take and have a respect for our quarry.

donttread
08-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Barnett Ghost 410 CRT.

I looked that up, it's badass. Never did much bow hunting but my state has recently legalized crossbow hunting.

donttread
08-08-2015, 07:53 AM

I've always wondered about that, although I know it's the conventional thinking. But it's pretty hard to miss in household distances with a riffle and unlike some handguns, one shot to center nass and the threat is pretty much down if not out

donttread
08-08-2015, 07:59 AM
That is very true, we see black bears here quite often. If you make noise they avoid you, if you startle them, you're dead.

I walked around the side of my house and a large bear was right there by my air conditioner eating berries. He roared and let me know who was boss. I backed away slowly, turned the corner and bolted into my house.

My cabin a few miles away had a bear or two climb up the supports and break into the cabin. The renters left garbage on the deck and donut boxes on the kitchen table. They can and will be aggressive. They did a lot of damage.

Black bears tend not to be as aggressive with humans as grizzlies are, which are big enough and predatory enough to occasionally see us a food

donttread
08-08-2015, 08:03 AM

Well, when you come face to face with 400 pound Black Bear who is having a bad day, make sure you tell him that according to the "experts", he is supposed to act in a particular way.

Oh, and what you said about the cat... more uninformed nonsense. Have you ever encountered a Cougar in the wild?

I don't carry a gun when I hike and I live in the heart of black bear country, Chloe on the other hand hikes in what I would guess to be grizzly country , so I can see the recomendation

donttread
08-08-2015, 08:04 AM
`
From where I live in Northern WI, the UP is not that close, although I have visited areas on the Lake Superior side of the UP and agree it's beautiful.

Does that mean you are one of those insufferable Packers fans? LOL

Chloe
08-08-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't carry a gun when I hike and I live in the heart of black bear country, Chloe on the other hand hikes in what I would guess to be grizzly country , so I can see the recomendation

I mostly hike in black bear country, but when we go on vacations to BC or Alaska then it's different obviously.

Chloe
08-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Wrong. In the case of a Cat stalking you to attack, the gun is very useful. In the rare case were Cat's do stalk and attack humans you knowledge is fairly useless. But that gun is very unhealthy for the Cat.

and Dead Cats tell no lies. Now these cases are extremely rare. So I agree with your choice the vast majority of the time. But if Attacked, the gun is pretty effective in keeping you alive and the attacking animal not so alive.

I'm simply just saying that if a mountain lion ambushes you then unless you are some sort of superhero you won't be able to react in time.

Chloe
08-08-2015, 09:04 AM

Yes I believe that. I've experienced a number of black bears, and even a couple of brown bears, in the wild. I never felt fear for my life. I've never encountered a mountain lion in the wild but I've backpacked and camped in mountain lion territory a number of times as well and still have never feared for my life. You can't control nature and I'm not saying that I can, but as long as you are aware, respectful, and knowledgable then 99.9% of the time you will leave the wild unharmed.

also just because you may see it in the wild does not warrant a death sentence

donttread
08-08-2015, 09:11 AM
I mostly hike in black bear country, but when we go on vacations to BC or Alaska then it's different obviously.

The coy dogs and Coyotes , complete with a fair share of wolf DNA, are getting out of control in NYS. They are coming into town and taking cats and perhaps small dogs. As a grown man I do not fear them in the woods however I become increasing concerned that they will take a toddler, perhaps in southern NY where they are close to population centers. But if they do not fear us any longer and they happen upon a human in there prey size range what's to stop them? Any similar experiences in other areas of the country? Growing, more aggressive populations of Coyotes?

donttread
08-08-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm simply just saying that if a mountain lion ambushes you then unless you are some sort of superhero you won't be able to react in time.

From what I read they are a bit clumsy at killing humans because our necks are so much different than a deer's. That might give you a window of opportunity. I don't know, they are very rare hear and offically don't exist this far east at all. However, I have seem one. They ripple when they walk like "joe weightlifter"!

donttread
08-08-2015, 09:34 AM
I love the outdoors , it's where I find my spirituality and being out there tends to invoke positive mental thought and physical action. Whether I'm hunting or fishing, climbing a high peak ( not likely to happen again now),snow shoeing, taking the grandkids on a fire tower hike or even just serenely tending my garden 30 feet outside my front door. Truth be told these days some of my hunting and fishing is done with virtually no expectation of success as an excuse to get out in the woods.
From this thread I can see that I am far from the only board member who enjoys the outdoors. In fact I started a thread on "Latest Happenings" to see if there was any interest in adding an "outdoors person" forum" . Anything from hunting and fishing to hiking, even foraging or gardening or you crazy rock climbers and much more could be subject matter. If not perhaps we could sort of unofficially designate the "Pub" for such post?
Thoughts?

Chloe
08-08-2015, 09:36 AM
I love the outdoors , it's where I find my spirituality and being out there tends to invoke positive mental thought and physical action. Whether I'm hunting or fishing, climbing a high peak ( not likely to happen again now),snow shoeing, taking the grandkids on a fire tower hike or even just serenely tending my garden 30 feet outside my front door. Truth be told these days some of my hunting and fishing is done with virtually no expectation of success as an excuse to get out in the woods.
From this thread I can see that I am from from the only board member who enjoys he outdoors. In fact I started a thread om "Latest Happening" to see if there was any interest in adding an "outdoors person" forum" . Anything from hunting and fishing to hiking, even foraging or gardening or you crazy rock climbers and much more could be subject matter. If not perhaps we could sort of unofficially designate the "Pub" for such post?
Thoughts?

An outdoor room would be great. We could post pics of hikes, trips, give tips and so on

donttread
08-08-2015, 10:21 AM
An outdoor room would be great. We could post pics of hikes, trips, give tips and so on

What's the next step? Whom should I contact about this?

Peter1469
08-08-2015, 10:24 AM
The coy dogs and Coyotes , complete with a fair share of wolf DNA, are getting out of control in NYS. They are coming into town and taking cats and perhaps small dogs. As a grown man I do not fear them in the woods however I become increasing concerned that they will take a toddler, perhaps in southern NY where they are close to population centers. But if they do not fear us any longer and they happen upon a human in there prey size range what's to stop them? Any similar experiences in other areas of the country? Growing, more aggressive populations of Coyotes?

They have always had problems with coyotes and wild dogs in S.E. Louisiana. There are no restrictions on shooting them outside of the urban centers.

Peter1469
08-08-2015, 10:25 AM
What's the next step? Whom should I contact about this?

A thread has been started in the VIP room. They decide on new rules, new forums, etc.

donttread
08-08-2015, 11:31 AM
A thread has been started in the VIP room. They decide on new rules, new forums, etc.

Thanks Peter. Chris had told me as well.

donttread
08-08-2015, 11:32 AM
They have always had problems with coyotes and wild dogs in S.E. Louisiana. There are no restrictions on shooting them outside of the urban centers.

It almost seems like the more you shoot the faster they breed. I know guys who've shot 20 plus on their property and still have issues

Cletus
08-08-2015, 11:36 AM
also just because you may see it in the wild does not warrant a death sentence

I don't even know what that means.

Are you implying that I suggested if you encounter a bear or a cat or any other predator, you should shoot it? That is not what I am suggesting.

What I am saying is that although most of the time, a bear is no more interested in being around you than you are him, if you encounter one under circumstances that triggers his defensive mechanisms, that timid little ball of fur can turn into 400+ pounds of teeth and claws in a heartbeat. He can outrun you and he is not going to listen to you when you tell him you mean him no harm and just want to peacefully coexist. Possession of the means to defend yourself does not mean you have a hostile intent. It means you are being realistic and prudent. That's all.

It would be nice to believe we could all go hang out in the woods and gaze at the clouds and sniff the flowers and watch Bambi and Baloo frolic in the grass. The truth is, Nature doesn't work that way. The strong and the prepared survive. The weak and unprepared become food. You may go your entire life without encountering a hostile predator who sees you as a snack. But it only takes once. When it does, you need to be armed with more than kind words and a smile.

Bob
08-08-2015, 12:10 PM

You would be most vulnerable to a mountain lion. There is no harm in you being armed just for self protection.

Archer0915
08-08-2015, 12:15 PM
If I see a black bear in the yard I will call the wildlife commission. If he is posing a threat I will call them and let them know a black bear is being dressed out and I have a new jacket in a few months.

Bob
08-08-2015, 12:23 PM

1. http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-13/news/mn-8439_1_mountain-lion-foundation
SAN DIEGO — Authorities confirmed Monday that the mountain lion shot Saturday night is the animal that killed a 58-year-old woman who was hiking and bird watching at Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.
But they were at a loss to explain why the mountain lions at the park have suddenly begun behaving aggressively toward humans.
Trackers on Saturday night chased and shot the lion after the fatal attack on Iris Kenna, a career counselor at a San Diego high school. It was the fifth lion killed in the past 15 months after stalking or menacing people in or near the sprawling park east of San Diego.
then in 1994
2. COOL, Calif. — Trackers hunted Tuesday for the mountain lion they say stalked and killed a jogger in the rugged Sierra Nevada foothills northeast of Sacramento.
The mutilated body of Barbara Schoener, 40, was discovered Sunday in the isolated Auburn Lake Trails area of El Dorado County.
Sheriff's detectives said she had been attacked by a cougar that bit her neck and crushed her skull, then dragged the partially consumed body about 300 feet and buried it under leaves and debris. Experts said mountain lions often conceal their prey and return when they are hungry.

Chloe
08-08-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't even know what that means.

Are you implying that I suggested if you encounter a bear or a cat or any other predator, you should shoot it? That is not what I am suggesting.

What I am saying is that although most of the time, a bear is no more interested in being around you than you are him, if you encounter one under circumstances that triggers his defensive mechanisms, that timid little ball of fur can turn into 400+ pounds of teeth and claws in a heartbeat. He can outrun you and he is not going to listen to you when you tell him you mean him no harm and just want to peacefully coexist. Possession of the means to defend yourself does not mean you have a hostile intent. It means you are being realistic and prudent. That's all.

It would be nice to believe we could all go hang out in the woods and gaze at the clouds and sniff the flowers and watch Bambi and Baloo frolic in the grass. The truth is, Nature doesn't work that way. The strong and the prepared survive. The weak and unprepared become food. You may go your entire life without encountering a hostile predator who sees you as a snack. But it only takes once. When it does, you need to be armed with more than kind words and a smile.

Your condescension is noted.

Chloe
08-08-2015, 02:24 PM
1. http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-13/news/mn-8439_1_mountain-lion-foundation
SAN DIEGO — Authorities confirmed Monday that the mountain lion shot Saturday night is the animal that killed a 58-year-old woman who was hiking and bird watching at Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.
But they were at a loss to explain why the mountain lions at the park have suddenly begun behaving aggressively toward humans.
Trackers on Saturday night chased and shot the lion after the fatal attack on Iris Kenna, a career counselor at a San Diego high school. It was the fifth lion killed in the past 15 months after stalking or menacing people in or near the sprawling park east of San Diego.
then in 1994
2. COOL, Calif. — Trackers hunted Tuesday for the mountain lion they say stalked and killed a jogger in the rugged Sierra Nevada foothills northeast of Sacramento.
The mutilated body of Barbara Schoener, 40, was discovered Sunday in the isolated Auburn Lake Trails area of El Dorado County.
Sheriff's detectives said she had been attacked by a cougar that bit her neck and crushed her skull, then dragged the partially consumed body about 300 feet and buried it under leaves and debris. Experts said mountain lions often conceal their prey and return when they are hungry.

and most likely the result would have been the same whether she were armed or not

Bob
08-08-2015, 02:38 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1209344#post1209344)
1. http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-...ion-foundation (http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-13/news/mn-8439_1_mountain-lion-foundation)
then in 1994

and most likely the result would have been the same whether she were armed or not

People also use similar excuse for not using a seatbelt, while driving or safety equipment when riding motorcycles. Who needs a darned helmet they ask.

Cletus
08-08-2015, 02:38 PM

You arrive at that conclusion based on what?

The only thing that is certain is that without a weapon, she had NO chance.

donttread
08-09-2015, 04:18 PM
If I see a black bear in the yard I will call the wildlife commission. If he is posing a threat I will call them and let them know a black bear is being dressed out and I have a new jacket in a few months.

Pretty much same procedure here except the first time or two we see it the yard we give it a wide berth and go on about our life. Not a hugely uncommon event in the Adirondacks.

donttread
08-09-2015, 04:21 PM
People also use similar excuse for not using a seatbelt, while driving or safety equipment when riding motorcycles. Who needs a darned helmet they ask.

If we intrude into a large predator's home often enough it may begin to lose it's fear of us , in which case we become potential food. That's why the cats are being aggressive most likely

Bob
08-09-2015, 04:27 PM
If we intrude into a large predator's home often enough it may begin to lose it's fear of us , in which case we become potential food. That's why the cats are being aggressive most likely

Hikers are lucky so few are taken by mountain lions, but to be eaten to death.... uggggg

To deliberately take the chance on some wild animal as she does .... ugggggg

To assume she is well protected by spray ... ugggggg

Just the noise of a firearm is enough to scare a lot of wild animals off.

Archer0915
08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Pretty much same procedure here except the first time or two we see it the yard we give it a wide berth and go on about our life. Not a hugely uncommon event in the Adirondacks.

Fairly rare around here but the population is growing.

If one of my children did not have Autism I would not bother, the kid has no fear and would try to go pet the bear.

donttread
08-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Fairly rare around here but the population is growing.

If one of my children did not have Autism I would not bother, the kid has no fear and would try to go pet the bear.

Yes, my children are grown which makes it easier, however there are thousands of human/ black bear encounters each year with very few attacks. At least very few attacks by the bears

donttread
08-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Hikers are lucky so few are taken by mountain lions, but to be eaten to death.... uggggg

donttread
08-09-2015, 07:06 PM

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the cougar kills you before it eats you. Wolves maybe not, but they almost never kill humans

Bob
08-09-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the cougar kills you before it eats you. Wolves maybe not, but they almost never kill humans

I think you are right. I wish Chloe cared more about her own safety in the woods is all. If she never hikes alone and hikes in a group, she would not have much chance of a problem.

Chloe
08-09-2015, 07:28 PM
I think you are right. I wish @Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) cared more about her own safety in the woods is all. If she never hikes alone and hikes in a group, she would not have much chance of a problem.

i care are about my safety

Bob
08-09-2015, 07:31 PM

Did you read about the man and wife hikers that died this weekend? Their son survived. They of course cared as well.

Chloe
08-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Did you read about the man and wife hikers that died this weekend? Their son survived. They of course cared as well.

Its sad but that's not an indication that it will happen to me or anybody else

Bob
08-09-2015, 07:36 PM

And i did not say you would die as they died. I am waiting for you to say you will live forever. LOL kidding of course

Peter1469
08-09-2015, 08:16 PM
What happened this weekend?

Safety
08-09-2015, 09:20 PM

Thanks, you're cool also!

Cletus
08-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Incredible.

donttread
08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
I think you are right. I wish @Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) cared more about her own safety in the woods is all. If she never hikes alone and hikes in a group, she would not have much chance of a problem.

Chloe must walk her own path ( pun half intended). It's a sad but true commentary on our times that people are likely more of a threat than the animals. Still most people come back from every hike they ever take

Bob
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Chloe must walk her own path ( pun half intended). It's a sad but true commentary on our times that people are likely more of a threat than the animals. Still most people come back from every hike they ever take

I enjoy teasing her a bit. She gets so darned serious.

I agree with you as well.

donttread
08-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I enjoy teasing her a bit. She gets so darned serious.

I agree with you as well.

Did you see the pics she posted from today's hike? Beautiful area

Bob
08-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Did you see the pics she posted from today's hike? Beautiful area

Not yet. Will check it out.