PDA

View Full Version : Your Rights When The Cops Pull You Over Explained In One Brilliant Infographic

OGIS
08-07-2015, 08:23 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/rights-when-the-cops-pull-you-over-2014-1

http://www.online-paralegal-programs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/know-your-rights.png?maxX=800

Common
08-07-2015, 08:58 AM
When your pulled over there are a few rules to follow. Dont treat the cop like shit, he wont like that. Dont blame him for your speeding or any other traffic violation youve committed, dont try to lie it will only make it worse. Threaten him with a lawyer and he will pleasantly find another couple of citations to give you to present to your lawyer.

People dont stop to think that police do this every day day in and day out. They are trained to know what to look for and most have tons of on the job experience some spanning many years and they have heard all the lies an excuses hundreds of times.

Police can smell weed in your car btw, cops can look at you and instantly know if your under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or both. They also have a sense for prior offenders or those that are trying to hide something.

Adelaide
08-07-2015, 09:09 AM
That's a very large infographic.

Anyways, in theory so long as you're not doing anything wrong and you're being respectful there really isn't any reason to worry in most cases. Some cops are assholes but not all. It is important that more people know their rights in terms of searches. That's especially true for young people who are more likely to be the people the police attempt to search illegally or improperly.

nathanbforrest45
08-07-2015, 09:29 AM
One must wonder just what the OP has done to warrant his obvious fear of the police.

nathanbforrest45
08-07-2015, 09:33 AM
When your pulled over there are a few rules to follow. Dont treat the cop like $#@!, he wont like that. Dont blame him for your speeding or any other traffic violation youve committed, dont try to lie it will only make it worse. Threaten him with a lawyer and he will pleasantly find another couple of citations to give you to present to your lawyer.

People dont stop to think that police do this every day day in and day out. They are trained to know what to look for and most have tons of on the job experience some spanning many years and they have heard all the lies an excuses hundreds of times.

Police can smell weed in your car btw, cops can look at you and instantly know if your under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or both. They also have a sense for prior offenders or those that are trying to hide something.

My ex sister in law once dated a Baltimore City policeman. He told me that he could arrest anyone for anything and then it was up to that person to establish innocence. The point was that if you start giving the cop a ration of shit for a traffic stop you could very well end up in jail.

BTW, as an aside, I don't understand those folks who are opposed to removing drunk drivers from the highway. What's more of an inconvenience, stopping for a traffic roadblock or having your family arrange for your funeral because you were killed by a drunk driver?

OGIS
08-07-2015, 03:25 PM
One must wonder just what the OP has done to warrant his obvious fear of the police.

Well, let's see.... Here are a few entertaining highlights:

(1) This first incident is, perhaps, an outlier. Back in the 60's few people in So. Cal. would have disagreed with the sentiment that the El Monte PD were all a bunch of paranoid, psychotic, corrupt a55holes. That might have had something to do with the fact that the American Nazi Party had a headquarters in that town, but I digress.

Anyway, I was 17, had my first car (a baby blue stock Ford Falcon my dad got on the cheap - just the thing, I guess, to arouse deep official suspicion) and I loved driving around all over Southern California. Gas was cheap and I tootled around from Malibu and Ventura, to the San Fernando Valley and the high desert, to Palm Springs and Indio, to San Diego (we lived in Culver City). I was a careful driver, didn't drink or do drugs, was clean shaven... typical middle class WASP clueless kid.

So I'm driving through El Monte. I'd just stopped at a red light on, I think, Puente Drive (?) and suddenly there are four farking EMPD cruisers bracketing me, and there is a cop at the window with an ginormous handgun pointed right at my head. Two cops hauled me out of the car and I spent maybe 15 minutes spreadeagled on the hood with a 45 auto shoved into the back of my neck while they trashed the inside of the car looking for whatever. I had the common sense to stay very very still and quiet. Then... "OK, you're free to go. Don't come back to El Monte." And they all left.

The car had about $400 in damages (a lot of $$$ back then) and my father was livid. He contacted his Exchange Club buddy and business attorney who a week later got back to him with, essentially "Just let it go, if you want to continue doing business in that town. We really can't do anything about this." But my dad cancelled the contract he had with the City of El Monte (supplying construction materials to their roads department). In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that the incident was somehow connected with that contract.

2) I went to (then) San Fernando Valley State College. It became known as "Bomb U" due to the radicalism and violence of the BSU, SDS, and other assorted groups. I was a member of YAF at the time and did a lot of counter-demonstrating. Hung around with people like Bill Steele and Ed Butler. Started having second thoughts about a lot of things when I saw Northridge PD and LAPD slamming unarmed sit-in kids in their heads with batons. And laughing. There was blood. This happened a couple of times.

(3) Remember the Chicago police riots in '68? I do. Saw it all on TV, and I knew people that had been on the receiving end. 'Nuff said.

My wife got schizophrenia in 2006. Five years and $150,000+ in medical bills later we were broke and lost the apartment we had lived in for 14 years. This was, of course, during the absolute worst of the "recession" in So. Cal. so there was very little to no permanent work in my field at my level: accounting, Controller. (I can hear you now: oh, why didn't you get some other work. Really? Just try to get another job when you are almost 60 and overqualified.)

I saw it coming and made arrangements to cushion the transition to homelessness.
- Got a camper shell for our truck, which we slept in for almost a year.
- Lucked out and got cheap memberships at the Irvine 24 Hr. Fitness, for showers.
- Put all our stuff in public storage (where I could also change into the monkey suit when I was able to get the occasional temp job though the temp agencies who had not yet gone out of business.
- Had a local business owner friend, and he let us park next to his store "to protect it from vandalism." Totally transparent, of course, but the Tustin PD bought into the scam and didn't hassle us (we kept to ourselves, didn't hassle people, kept everything clean).

In fact TPD even had an undercover officer hanging around the center watching over us when that guy was going around murdering homeless people in Long Beach and Cerritos. (I have ZERO problems with Tustin PD, either before or during this period; they are a magnificently good example of how to police (except for one blonde female officer who was always trying to prove that she had bigger balls than her male colleagues.)

(4) But Irvine PD? Total a55holes. About half the time when we drove to 24 Hr Fitness they would cruise around the parking lot and try to find something - anything - to give us a fixit ticket for.

(5) Cerritos PD? Total a55holes. I got a 4 month assignment in Cerritos, and would park at the far end of the parking lot, under some beautiful shade trees. My wife would stay in the camper shell and read, or in the cab and listen to the radio. But the liberal biddies at the Center for the Performing Arts started having the vapors when my wife would ask to use the restroom (ZOMFG HOMELESS PEOPLE!!!!1111!!!), so SIX Cerritos PD units show up and - hands on weapons - tell us to clear out. I ended up parking at the Walmart across the road. In the sun. It was summer.

(6) Santa Ana PD isn't much better. And they've gotten worse. Review, if you will, the farking video of the raid on that Santa Ana pot shop, which shows SAPD a55holes stealing and eating edibles, and where the female cop disses the amputee old lady in the wheelchair. Since we got a place and I started using pot for the arthritis and the depression, I've been to that dispensary twice. They are good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKTfUHfeKM

(7) And last but not least, OC Sheriff's Dept (one of the more corrupt cop shops in the nation (Google "Mike Carona" - believe me, it goes aaaaall the way down) "patrols" Stanton, though from what I can tell that is mainly restricted to hassling Mexicans and homeless people (some of whom, in fairness, deserve it); they totally ignore the MS-13 drug house which is literally a 3 minute walk from their station. Well, one day I am walking from my apartment to the local supermarket. I've just bought a "bacon chocolate" soda (don't knock it until you've tried it) which is bottled in a brown bottle. I'm no more than 100 feet from the store where I bought it, and an OCSD a55hole wants to see the entire bottle, so he can decide whether I am "drinking beer in public." After 3 minutes of back and forth polite but terse nonsense I invoke the magic words: "Officer, am I being detained or am I under arrest? If not, am I free to go?" I say this four times. Since either detention or arrest requires paperwork, and because I am obviously not a gangbanger or a homie, he finally waves me off in disgust, gets in his cruiser, and roars off to the next victim.

So that's what I've done. Any questions? Oh, and thanks for the opportunity for spreading the word on this crap. Here's your HappyMeal:

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 07:56 PM
When you have someone that starts asking to leave and talking about their rights, most officers will keep them longer out of spite

So here is my advice, if you are guilty and you know it. tell them you want a lawyer ASAP, any thing you say after requesting a legal counsel.

If you are getting pulled over for speeding or a traffic violation, be polite, the officer is just doing his job. If you know what you are doing wrong admit it. and apologize,

If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you!

Common Sense
08-07-2015, 08:00 PM
I am glad this is becoming a mainstream issue.

Redrose
08-07-2015, 08:04 PM
When your pulled over there are a few rules to follow. Dont treat the cop like shit, he wont like that. Dont blame him for your speeding or any other traffic violation youve committed, dont try to lie it will only make it worse. Threaten him with a lawyer and he will pleasantly find another couple of citations to give you to present to your lawyer.

My husband watched the video last night of our forum member. He said he had the right to remain silent and chose not to.

The Xl
08-07-2015, 08:42 PM
My ex sister in law once dated a Baltimore City policeman. He told me that he could arrest anyone for anything and then it was up to that person to establish innocence. The point was that if you start giving the cop a ration of shit for a traffic stop you could very well end up in jail.

BTW, as an aside, I don't understand those folks who are opposed to removing drunk drivers from the highway. What's more of an inconvenience, stopping for a traffic roadblock or having your family arrange for your funeral because you were killed by a drunk driver?

This post basically confirms that cops are above the law. The system is a sham

The Xl
08-07-2015, 08:44 PM

You're admitting that you guys can be lawless and have way too much power.

Cthulhu
08-07-2015, 11:55 PM
When your pulled over there are a few rules to follow. Dont treat the cop like $#@!, he wont like that. Dont blame him for your speeding or any other traffic violation youve committed, dont try to lie it will only make it worse. Threaten him with a lawyer and he will pleasantly find another couple of citations to give you to present to your lawyer.

So...kneel at the zipper and lube up...cause you're gonna get screwed.

Got it.

Bring the zombies.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

AeonPax
08-08-2015, 01:18 AM
1) When you have someone that starts asking to leave and talking about their rights, most officers will keep them longer out of spite
2) So here is my advice, if you are guilty and you know it. tell them you want a lawyer ASAP, any thing you say after requesting a legal counsel.
3) If you are getting pulled over for speeding or a traffic violation, be polite, the officer is just doing his job. If you know what you are doing wrong admit it. and apologize,
If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you!
`
1) That is an opinion, not a fact. Do ask, at reasonable intervals; "Am I free to go?"

2) The cop may accuse you of a crime, or ask “Do you know what I stopped you for?” Don’t admit guilt. Don’t say anything that will incriminate you. Keep your mouth shut.

3) Never admit guilt and apologize. If you must, save it for a JUDGE, not a cop. Answer a cops question but do not volunteer anything beyond that.

Being polite to a cop makes it less likely you will be beat into a pulp. Police Stops: What to Do If You Are Pulled Over. (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/police-stops-when-pulled-over-30186.html)

PolWatch
08-08-2015, 04:54 AM
'most officers will keep them longer out of spite' that kinda says it all. What other profession is expected to abuse their authority because they can and still find people to defend their actions?

Where is the outrage that the IRS investigations caused? Why is abuse of power acceptable in some situations and not others?

Cthulhu
08-08-2015, 03:42 PM
'most officers will keep them longer out of spite' that kinda says it all. What other profession is expected to abuse their authority because they can and still find people to defend their actions?

Where is the outrage that the IRS investigations caused? Why is abuse of power acceptable in some situations and not others?
All valid questions but the answer to all of them is the same.

They have pathetic standards of justice and behavior of our government.

Jets
08-08-2015, 05:18 PM
It's all about tactics. Police are taught tactics and drivers should learn a few of their own regardless of whether a cop is professional with his verbals.

When pulled over roll all windows down and turn off engine. Place keys on dashboard on left side. If it's night turn on interior light. Keep seatbelt on and wait for officer to come to window to see inside car.

Cthulhu
08-08-2015, 11:00 PM
It's all about tactics. Police are taught tactics and drivers should learn a few of their own regardless of whether a cop is professional with his verbals.

When pulled over roll all windows down and turn off engine. Place keys on dashboard on left side. If it's night turn on interior light. Keep seatbelt on and wait for officer to come to window to see inside car.
Like I said earlier - kneel at the zipper.

Jets
08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Like I said earlier - kneel at the zipper.

Or you could look at it as presenting oneself as a non threat. If I think the officer is the threat why give him a reason to escalate.

Ivan88
08-09-2015, 10:59 AM
We have no rights, and the cop has a right to kill you.
So when swimming with sharks don't appear to be shark food.

Cthulhu
08-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Or you could look at it as presenting oneself as a non threat. If I think the officer is the threat why give him a reason to escalate.
You are thinking about this backwards.

Why should an officer pose a potential threat to someone not doing wrong?

This idea of rolling over and letting another do as they please to me just doesn't sit well with Mr. Me.

AeonPax
08-09-2015, 01:43 PM
It's all about tactics. Police are taught tactics and drivers should learn a few of their own regardless of whether a cop is professional with his verbals. When pulled over roll all windows down and turn off engine. Place keys on dashboard on left side. If it's night turn on interior light. Keep seatbelt on and wait for officer to come to window to see inside car.
`
Before you do that; a) Shove all empty beer cans under seat, b) push in ashtray containing pipe and dubish & c) clean up used empty condoms your pal left in back seat.