PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Fly During GOP Debate When Rand Paul Goes After Chris Christie

Common
08-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Gov Piggy and Sen Whacky duke it out. Watch the video

Sen. Rand Paul faced off with Gov. Chris Christie over the Fourth Amendment Thursday during the first Republican presidential debate.

The debate came after moderator Megyn Kelly asked the New Jersey governor about criticism he has leveled against Paul over the Kentucky senator’s opposition to the the NSA’s bulk collection of phone records.
“Do you really believe you can assign blame to Senator Paul just for opposing the people’s bulk collection of phone records in the event of a terrorist attack?” Kelly asked.

“Yes, I do,” Christie replied, noting his national security experience and recalling how he was in the area of the 9/11 terror attacks.
Paul quickly responded.
“I want to collect more records from terrorists, but less records from innocent Americans. The Fourth Amendment is what we fought the revolution over!” Paul said. “I’m proud of standing for the Bill of Rights and I will continue to stand for the Bill of Rights!”
Christie called it a “completely ridiculous answer.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/06/rand-paul-gets-into-shouting-match-with-chris-christie-on-govt-surveillance-get-a-warrant/

The Sage of Main Street
08-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Sen. Rand Paul faced off with Gov. Chris Christie over the Fourth Amendment Thursday during the first Republican presidential debate.

The debate came after moderator Megyn Kelly asked the New Jersey governor about criticism he has leveled against Paul over the Kentucky senator’s opposition to the the NSA’s bulk collection of phone records.
“Do you really believe you can assign blame to Senator Paul just for opposing the people’s bulk collection of phone records in the event of a terrorist attack?” Kelly asked.

“Yes, I do,” Christie replied, noting his national security experience and recalling how he was in the area of the 9/11 terror attacks.
Paul quickly responded.
“I want to collect more records from terrorists, but less records from innocent Americans. The Fourth Amendment is what we fought the revolution over!” Paul said. “I’m proud of standing for the Bill of Rights and I will continue to stand for the Bill of Rights!”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/06/rand-paul-gets-into-shouting-match-with-chris-christie-on-govt-surveillance-get-a-warrant/ Smirky little Paulie gets beat up by Christie, then by Trump, and he runs home crying to his Daddy.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Christie's entire position is based on the false assumption that you cannot stop terrorist attacks without engaging in mass, indiscriminate spying on the American people.

He keeps referring to 9/11, the predictable emotional appeal, even though 9/11 could have been prevented using traditional intelligence and law enforcement methodologies.

He also referred to his experience as a prosecutor in fighting terrorism, yet he didn't give a single example of how he or his partners in government used the NSA's domestic spying program to interdict a single terrorist plot.

Nothing Christie said or implied in his entire argument was based on an ounce of substance. It was an appeal to his own alleged expertise (which he failed to demonstrate in any meaningful way) and the raw emotion of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

What a dishonest, pandering tool.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Christie was trying for the emotion reaction....Paul was talking about protecting individual rights. If anyone believes that eavesdropping on Americans would have prevented 9/11, they are not too well informed.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Smirky little Paulie gets beat up by Christie, then by Trump, and he runs home crying to his Daddy.

The Sage of Main Street supports the loud, emotive, fat bully. Again, color me surprised!

whatukno
08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Rand is trying to run on his Pappa's internet fame.

Christy is a giant fat man that wouldn't last a year in the White House, anyone voting for Christy is actually voting for his VP pick, cause if he get's elected, he's likely to die of a heart attack before he sees his second state of the union.

Rand is right though, massive warrant-less wiretapping of every American is bullshit. It doesn't produce results, because any half smart terrorist is going to use a disposable phone for their calls. If they don't use twitter or facebook or email.

Peter1469
08-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Rand was correct on the 4th Amendment.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Rand was correct but he handled it poorly. He kind of went ballistic,

I think that he shot himself in the foot last knight.

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Rand was correct but he handled it poorly. He kind of went ballistic,

I think that he shot himself in the foot last knight.

He's got to have tougher skin if he wants a real shot at the Presidency. Not that I support his efforts to do so, but he needs to project a calm, confident air if he wants people to get behind his candidacy.

But I understand his anger, because Christie is basically accusing him of supporting terrorism, albeit in a oblique way. Any person would be pretty angry if you accused them of that, most especially Chris Christie.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Paul seemed to come across as kinda desperate. He had good points but he started out seeming to want a fight with Trump....not over ideas but for attention.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 05:02 PM
He's got to have tougher skin if he wants a real shot at the Presidency. Not that I support his efforts to do so, but he needs to project a calm, confident air if he wants people to get behind his candidacy.

But I understand his anger, because Christie is basically accusing him of supporting terrorism, albeit in a oblique way. Any person would be pretty angry if you accused them of that, most especially Chris Christie.

I agree that it would be easy to get angry, but you can't. He needed to calmly respond to the foolish accusations and state what the constitution says and talk about why his way in not only constitutional but more effective.

Bob
08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Christie was trying for the emotion reaction....Paul was talking about protecting individual rights. If anyone believes that eavesdropping on Americans would have prevented 9/11, they are not too well informed.

Looking at phone records is not eavesdropping.

Bush issued orders that terrorists must be on the phone to be listened to.

Did Obama revoke those orders?

Ethereal
08-07-2015, 05:17 PM
I agree that it would be easy to get angry, but you can't. He needed to calmly respond to the foolish accusations and state what the constitution says and talk about why his way in not only constitutional but more effective.

Agreed, but that can be very difficult when the other guy is shouting to the world about how you're trying to aid and abet terrorists.

What really needs to happen is that people, Republicans, in particular, need to clamp down on these kinds of accusations.

There is a strong tendency within the Republican party to accuse people of supporting and/or appeasing America's enemies. That is just their way of shutting down debates about a more diplomatic and humble foreign policy without having to defend their ideas with logic and evidence.

We can be strong on foreign policy and defense without policing the world and otherwise meddling in the internal affairs of other countries. That is the foreign policy of Washington, Adams, and Jefferson, and it is not appeasement!

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Agreed, but that can be very difficult when the other guy is shouting to the world about how you're trying to aid and abet terrorists.

What really needs to happen is that people, Republicans, in particular, need to clamp down on these kinds of accusations.

There is a strong tendency within the Republican party to accuse people of supporting and/or appeasing America's enemies. That is just their way of shutting down debates about a more diplomatic and humble foreign policy without having to defend their ideas with logic and evidence.

We can be strong on foreign policy and defense without policing the world and otherwise meddling in the internal affairs of other countries. That is the foreign policy of Washington, Adams, and Jefferson, and it is not appeasement!

I am not for nation building and police actions. but I would be for some horrific actions taken against countries that did not get the message.

Green Arrow
08-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Paul seemed to come across as kinda desperate. He had good points but he started out seeming to want a fight with Trump....not over ideas but for attention.

That's because he is desperate. He's sliding in the polls and his campaign is on life support. He needed an energy shot, and thought going after Trump and Christie would do the trick. I think he may have been right, for the most part it doesn't seem to have backfired on him.

The polls will tell though.

PolWatch
08-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Why would they quit using a technique proved to work? Remember the year prior to the invasion of Iraq? People who questioned the invasion were called unAmerican, unpatriotic and worse. The Madison Ave advertising, anti-American shaming program works. When people know their motives will be questioned, they quit asking questions.....and Oz behind the curtain keeps pulling levers.

zelmo1234
08-07-2015, 05:30 PM
I think that the person that will have the best bump out of the debates is Carly. I suspect that she will be in the main event next time.

Redrose
08-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Christie's entire position is based on the false assumption that you cannot stop terrorist attacks without engaging in mass, indiscriminate spying on the American people.

He keeps referring to 9/11, the predictable emotional appeal, even though 9/11 could have been prevented using traditional intelligence and law enforcement methodologies.

He also referred to his experience as a prosecutor in fighting terrorism, yet he didn't give a single example of how he or his partners in government used the NSA's domestic spying program to interdict a single terrorist plot.

Nothing Christie said or implied in his entire argument was based on an ounce of substance. It was an appeal to his own alleged expertise (which he failed to demonstrate in any meaningful way) and the raw emotion of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

He hugged Obama one week before the election. To heck with him.

The Xl
08-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Chris Christie is a joke. Fuck him.

Redrose
08-07-2015, 07:46 PM
I think that the person that will have the best bump out of the debates is Carly. I suspect that she will be in the main event next time.

She's a very smart, articulate woman, but she needs to expand her platform away from attacking Hillary. She's doing a fantastic job of decimating Hillary, but she needs more.

She reminds me of a very early Margaret Thatcher. (different accent though)

Redrose
08-07-2015, 07:47 PM

No thanks, he not my type. :smiley:

The Xl
08-07-2015, 07:47 PM
That's because he is desperate. He's sliding in the polls and his campaign is on life support. He needed an energy shot, and thought going after Trump and Christie would do the trick. I think he may have been right, for the most part it doesn't seem to have backfired on him.

The polls will tell though.

His lack of consistency has hurt him bad. His dad was ignored, old, frail, and not as well spoken as Rand but did way better because he had credibility and a consistent message

The Xl
08-07-2015, 07:50 PM
No thanks, he not my type. :smiley:

Lol. I'd imagine he's next to no one's type

Redrose
08-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Lol. I'd imagine he's next to no one's type

Only the chubby chasers.

texan
08-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Much ado about nada and you fell for it as a Paul lackey.

donttread
08-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Paul quickly responded.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/06/rand-paul-gets-into-shouting-match-with-chris-christie-on-govt-surveillance-get-a-warrant/

So let me get this straight. In your mind Paul's defence of the BOR's makes him "whacky"? Perhaps the guy who asked the Hilary supporters about repealing the BOR's should of interviewed you?

Common
08-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Damn man, youre thinking more and more like me lol

Common
08-08-2015, 08:33 AM
His lack of consistency has hurt him bad. His dad was ignored, old, frail, and not as well spoken as Rand but did way better because he had credibility and a consistent message

I know green arrow bristles when I said this but Rand Paul is a phony, he says what he thinks will help him politically and if he finds its not helping him he will flip flop.

His father had core values and stuck by them firmly, whether they helped him in the polls or not. I disagreed with much of Ron Pauls beliefs but I respected him. Rand I have no respect for, hes in the same league as christie to me, both are chameleons.

donttread
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I know green arrow bristles when I said this but Rand Paul is a phony, he says what he thinks will help him politically and if he finds its not helping him he will flip flop.

His father had core values and stuck by them firmly, whether they helped him in the polls or not. I disagreed with much of Ron Pauls beliefs but I respected him. Rand I have no respect for, hes in the same league as christie to me, both are chameleons.

I hear that Donkephant propaganda repeated constantly. However, outside of the Iran deal can you give we one example where Rand has stepped outside his long known platform?

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Rand ups his hand:
"Hey, Trump!
I'm on the stump."
Trump belches and grumps,
"You look like you got the mumps."

Hand of Rand:
"Miss Megyn,
He's at it
A-gain."

Megyn Kelly
Goes all jelly
In her belly.
"Senator Paul,
You started out pumped,
But now you've been bumped
And dumped
And Trumped."

Peter1469
08-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Yes, he wanted to be able to say he was against Trump when the others were silent. It came across poorly.

Common
08-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I hear that Donkephant propaganda repeated constantly. However, outside of the Iran deal can you give we one example where Rand has stepped outside his long known platform?

Tons but im not going to bother, hes flip flopped on many things and ive posted them as they happened, im not going back in retrospect searching for them

TrueBlue
08-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Smirky little Paulie gets beat up by Christie, then by Trump, and he runs home crying to his Daddy.
http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/kolobok1/54.gif http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/kolobok1/13.gif

TrueBlue
08-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by donttread http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1209149#post1209149) I hear that Donkephant propaganda repeated constantly. However, outside of the Iran deal can you give we one example where Rand has stepped outside his long known platform?

Tons but im not going to bother, hes flip flopped on many things and ive posted them as they happened, im not going back in retrospect searching for them
But I will because it's so worthy of being well noted. Thanks to Politico and also to CNN for these most EXCELLENT reports.

Rand Paul's biggest flip-flops
By SARAH SMITH

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/rand-vs-rand-paul-past-hits-future-109746.html

"Followers of the Kentucky senator have noticed shifts in the way the libertarian-leaning Republican and likely 2016 contender has positioned himself on a variety of hot-button topics — from aid to Israel (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/rand-paul-israel-109730.html?hp=f2) to immigration to the Civil Rights Act."

~~~~

Rand Paul: The flip-flop king
By Maria Cardona

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/opinion/cardona-rand-paul/

"(CNN) -- Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky is giving people whiplash. In the last month, he has shifted, flip-flopped and pandered so strikingly on a range of positions and statements that it makes you wonder whether he has suddenly developed a deep disregard for his own convictions, or never had any to begin with."

The Sage of Main Street
08-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Tons but im not going to bother, hes flip flopped on many things and ive posted them as they happened, im not going back in retrospect searching for them The problem is that Randy is such a lousy opthalmologist that he can't even read his own eyechart.