PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball Super thread

The Xl
08-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I could barely contain my excitement when after 20 years, a new Dragon Ball series was announced. It started in July, it's on episode 5 now. I've seen all the episodes outside of episode 5 which I intend to watch tonight.

Anyone watching it? How about you, Polly?

Common
08-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Ive never heard of it XL, is it a tv series ?

The Xl
08-09-2015, 02:13 PM

It's a continuation of one of the most popular Japanese animes of all time.

IMPress Polly
08-09-2015, 02:32 PM
You KNOW I'm watching it, XL! :cool2: For anyone who's not caught up, here are the first four episodes of the new series (i.e. all the ones that have aired to date) with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04hyNSknI8

Common wrote:

Previous to Dragon Ball Super, there were three other Dragon Ball series: Dragon Ball (1986-89), Dragon Ball Z (1989-96), and Dragon Ball GT (1996-97). Of those three, DBZ was by far the most popular for its focus on dramatic action sagas featuring loads of tense build-up through long-running episode-to-episode continuity. (Yep, Japanese animators were doing the epic continuity thing long before shows like The Sopranos and Game of Thrones made it popular on this side of the Pacific!) The original material in the first series was VERY loosely based on the Chinese tale Journey to the West, but it evolved into something all its own over time. Dragon Ball Super is a sequel series to Dragon Ball Z, which is considered by many to be the best action cartoon of all time.