PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Convention Sparking Bizz, But Odds Still Long

whatukno
08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- With Republicans controlling more than half the state legislatures across the country, some want to use that power to push for a federal spending limit through a mechanism unused since George Washington's day.

Their plan: Persuade enough states to call a national constitutional convention so that a federal balanced budget amendment can be added to the Constitution.

It would be a historic move. The United States has not held a constitutional convention since Washington himself led the original proceedings in Philadelphia in 1787.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONSTITUTIONAL_CONVENTION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-10-12-30-43

Like conservatives would simply stop at a balanced budget amendment, we all know the 13th Amendment would be on the chopping block for repeal as well. With so many red states passing laws specifically aimed at limiting the voting rights of minorities, it wouldn't surprise me if they took their time to write up a repeal and replacement for the 13th Amendment as some conservative groups want.

hanger4
08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- With Republicans controlling more than half the state legislatures across the country, some want to use that power to push for a federal spending limit through a mechanism unused since George Washington's day.Their plan: Persuade enough states to call a national constitutional convention so that a federal balanced budget amendment can be added to the Constitution.It would be a historic move. The United States has not held a constitutional convention since Washington himself led the original proceedings in Philadelphia in 1787.http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONSTITUTIONAL_CONVENTION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-10-12-30-43Like conservatives would simply stop at a balanced budget amendment, we all know the 13th Amendment would be on the chopping block for repeal as well. With so many red states passing laws specifically aimed at limiting the voting rights of minorities, it wouldn't surprise me if they took their time to write up a repeal and replacement for the 13th Amendment as some conservative groups want.Had the makings of an imteresting topic till ya threw this strawman in there;"With so many red states passing laws specifically aimed at limiting the voting rights of minorities".As far a Con. Conven. it'll never happen. There's not enough states that would work toward it.

Cletus
08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- With Republicans controlling more than half the state legislatures across the country, some want to use that power to push for a federal spending limit through a mechanism unused since George Washington's day.

Their plan: Persuade enough states to call a national constitutional convention so that a federal balanced budget amendment can be added to the Constitution.

It would be a historic move. The United States has not held a constitutional convention since Washington himself led the original proceedings in Philadelphia in 1787.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONSTITUTIONAL_CONVENTION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-10-12-30-43

Like conservatives would simply stop at a balanced budget amendment, we all know the 13th Amendment would be on the chopping block for repeal as well. With so many red states passing laws specifically aimed at limiting the voting rights of minorities, it wouldn't surprise me if they took their time to write up a repeal and replacement for the 13th Amendment as some conservative groups want.

The 13th Amendment has nothing to do with voting.

Green Arrow
08-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, it started out good...

whatukno
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Oh I know, I know, that crazy wukky, talking out his ass again.

http://www.amendment-13.org/

Just one of many sites that claim that the 13th Amendment is fraudulent and that a real one exists somewhere, and they want to repeal and replace the current 13th Amendment with the one at the site.

And you all honestly think that if they held a constitutional convention where they could just amend the hell out of the constitution at whim, they wouldn't take a shot at the 13th? REALLY?

Peter1469
08-10-2015, 05:43 PM

Baseless filth from the resident hard left troll.

hanger4
08-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Just one of many sites that claim that the 13th Amendment is fraudulent and that a real one exists somewhere, and they want to repeal and replace the current 13th Amendment with the one at the site.

And you all honestly think that if they held a constitutional convention where they could just amend the hell out of the constitution at whim, they wouldn't take a shot at the 13th? REALLY?

Your paranoia has been noted, logged and laughed at.

Cletus
08-10-2015, 05:58 PM

What are you suggesting... that someone would try to amend it to reestablish SLAVERY?

Amendment XIII
Section 1.Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
Section 2.Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Whatever...

Cletus
08-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Baseless filth from the resident hard left troll.

I don't think he knows what the 13th says.

hanger4
08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
What are you suggesting... that someone would try to amend it to reestablish SLAVERY?Amendment XIIISection 1.Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.Section 2.Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.Whatever...That's exactly what whatukno is saying. Whatukno also has to believe that at lest 38 states would approve of reinstituting slavery. Ya know, the more I think about it the funnier it gets. :grin:

whatukno
08-10-2015, 06:19 PM
A lot of states have very conservative governments in charge, don't like it when black people get all uppity for unarmed Americans among them get shot by law enforcement officers.

Hell, even conservative hero Cliven Bundy said the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnRnhrNFEY

It's a mantra spoken in code time and time again by conservatives. Think that a mostly conservative constitutional congress WOULDN'T take a stab at re instating legalized slavery? Think again. It would probably not pass, but I think they would take a shot at it.

hanger4
08-10-2015, 06:31 PM
A lot of states have very conservative governments in charge, don't like it when black people get all uppity for unarmed Americans among them get shot by law enforcement officers.

Hell, even conservative hero Cliven Bundy said the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnRnhrNFEY

It's a mantra spoken in code time and time again by conservatives. Think that a mostly conservative constitutional congress WOULDN'T take a stab at re instating legalized slavery? Think again. It would probably not pass, but I think they would take a shot at it.

Geebus dude, most people quit digging when thay make a fool of themselves. LOL

Peter1469
08-10-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't think he knows what the 13th says.

I think he is a PoS.

del
08-10-2015, 07:06 PM
I think he is a PoS.

he'll probably cry himself to sleep now.

Cletus
08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
I think he is a PoS.

He is blowing smoke. He did not know what the 13th was. If you look at the ling he provided, it is some expansion on Article I, Section 9. Now, he is spinning trying to cover his error.