PDA

View Full Version : Did the IS use chemical weapons in Iraq?

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Not out of the question (http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-14/u-s-investigating-possible-isis-chemical-weapon-use-in-battle). The region is full of chemical weapons. From Saddam's old stash, to Syria's stash (likely from Saddam prior to the 2003 invasion), it is everywhere.

The U.S. is investigating reports that Islamic State militants used chemical weapons in a battle with Kurdish fighters, a White House spokesman said.

Kurdish officials said Thursday that Islamic State fighters attacked their forces, known as Peshmerga, near the town of Makhmour in northern Iraq, according to the Associated Press. The German Defense Ministry, which has been training Kurdish forces in the area, said about 60 Kurdish fighters suffered breathing difficulties from the attack, a sign of chemical weapons use, the AP said.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Islamic State is suspected of using mustard gas against the Kurds, citing unidentified U.S. officials.

Read more at the link.

Redrose
08-15-2015, 02:47 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's just a matter of time until we have an attack of that nature here on our soil. IMHO

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 03:14 AM
.....The region is full of chemical weapons. From Saddam's old stash, to Syria's stash (likely from Saddam prior to the 2003 invasion), it is everywhere....
`
That would be your opinion of course as nothing in the article mentioned that.

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 03:15 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's just a matter of time until we have an attack of that nature here on our soil. IMHO

I wouldn't think that is very likely with IS. They are focused on creating their Caliphate. Not developing the skills to conduct complex transnational attacks.

Redrose
08-15-2015, 03:31 AM
I wouldn't think that is very likely with IS. They are focused on creating their Caliphate. Not developing the skills to conduct complex transnational attacks.

Peter, a few years ago if someone had said there would be a terrorist group beheading people in the ME and spreading into other countries I would have said that was nonsense. I've learned over the years never to say never, and to expect the unexpected. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 05:01 AM
Peter, a few years ago if someone had said there would be a terrorist group beheading people in the ME and spreading into other countries I would have said that was nonsense. I've learned over the years never to say never, and to expect the unexpected. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

IS is a collection of motorized light infantry forces. That is a very different skill set from a transnational terrorist. It is OK to prepare for attacks, but try to keep the enemies capabilities in mind as well.

hanger4
08-15-2015, 06:30 AM
`That would be your opinion of course as nothing in the article mentioned that. Reckon where the chemical weapons came from ??

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 07:16 AM
Reckon where the chemical weapons came from ??
`
Nope.

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 07:22 AM
`
That would be your opinion of course as nothing in the article mentioned that.

I was in Iraq during Desert Storm and again during the surge (07-08). My opinion is backed up by first hand knowledge.

hanger4
08-15-2015, 07:30 AM
`
Nope.

Are you saying "Nope" I'm not answering ??

Or "Nope" chemical weapons*weren't used ??

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 07:37 AM
I was in Iraq during Desert Storm and again during the surge (07-08). My opinion is backed up by first hand knowledge.
`
I was in England four times so that makes me an expert on England. My baby brother was in the US Army, in Afghanistan for almost 6 years so that should make him an expert on all things Afghani. It's all anecdotal.

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Are you saying "Nope" I'm not answering ?? Or "Nope" chemical weapons*weren't used ??

You: "Reckon where the chemical weapons came from ??"
Me: Nope.

Reckon, when used in the southern vernacular, means, "do I have an opinion on...". Nope, I don't have an opinion on where they came from. Do you know where they came from? If you do, can you provide evidence to substantiate that?

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 07:53 AM
`
I was in England four times so that makes me an expert on England. My baby brother was in the US Army, in Afghanistan for almost 6 years so that should make him an expert on all things Afghani. It's all anecdotal.

I didn't say I was an expert. I said my opinion was backed up with first hand knowledge.

hanger4
08-15-2015, 08:11 AM
You: "Reckon where the chemical weapons came from ??"
Me: Nope.

Reckon, when used in the southern vernacular, means, "do I have an opinion on...". Nope, I don't have an opinion on where they came from. Do you know where they came from? If you do, can you provide evidence to substantiate that?

Just saying I have no opinion would suffice. Schooling a man born and raised in the deep south is silly of you.

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 08:14 AM
I didn't say I was an expert. I said my opinion was backed up with first hand knowledge.
`
As I said; anecdotal.

AeonPax
08-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Just saying I have no opinion would suffice. Schooling a man born and raised in the deep south is silly of you.
`
How silly of you to ask me the question.

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 08:20 AM
`
As I said; anecdotal.

Correct. Anecdotal first hand knowledge of WMDs inside of Iraq.

hanger4
08-15-2015, 08:25 AM
`
How silly of you to ask me the question.

Not at all, your responses have been most enlightening. :grin:

donttread
08-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Not out of the question (http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-14/u-s-investigating-possible-isis-chemical-weapon-use-in-battle). The region is full of chemical weapons. From Saddam's old stash, to Syria's stash (likely from Saddam prior to the 2003 invasion), it is everywhere.

Read more at the link.

Breathing difficulties? Not much if a "WMD"

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Breathing difficulties? Nit much if a "WMD"

Chemical weapons are not very effective from a military PoV.