PDA

View Full Version : What is your problem with segregation?

Mister D
08-19-2015, 08:21 PM
The persistence of voluntary segregation seems to bother some progressives. My question is why? What exactly are your objections to the choices so many individuals evidently make? Please be specific. I'll check for replies in the AM.

I put this in the Discussion Forum for obvious reasons.

Chloe
08-19-2015, 08:32 PM
I think it's a mixture of shared culture and comfort as to why people voluntarily segregate. I don't necessarily disagree with the reasoning as long as it's not based on bigotry, but I do think that it isn't a great thing. I admittedly don't have a lot of minority friends and I don't live in an area that would be considered a melting pot of races (mostly white and Asian) but it wouldn't bother me if there were more of a mixture around. I do think that when an area has a mixture of races and cultures it can lend itself to a lot of great shared experiences. Whether that's through food, activities, art, music or other mediums. I do think a lot of times segregation tends to lend itself to a slow formation of bigotry that gets learned through generations, a bigotry formed out of ignorance from the lack of interaction.

Green Arrow
08-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Voluntary segregation?

No issues whatsoever.

Cthulhu
08-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Voluntary segregation?

No issues whatsoever.
Not to poke a bear here but....

How far can that logically go?

If a white dude or a black dude wants a X only neighborhood, and he has 200 acres he was to make into 350 lots, should he be forces to sell to prospective buyers who he doesn't want to sell to?

I contend that he shouldn't. But I also am a big proponent of private property rights.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

The Xl
08-19-2015, 09:01 PM
I have no issue with it, I just don't engage in it. I had a diverse upbringing and have diverse interests, I get along and feel comfortable with all non assholes, and I'm not the only one of any color who feels the same.

Like, seriously, people should do them. I'm not in the business of changing the world.

decedent
08-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Us rich, white people should take our money and corporations and form a new society. We can give the poor minorities left in the wasteland some food once a month... because we aren't monsters.

Captain Obvious
08-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Not to poke a bear here but....

How far can that logically go?

If a white dude or a black dude wants a X only neighborhood, and he has 200 acres he was to make into 350 lots, should he be forces to sell to prospective buyers who he doesn't want to sell to?

I contend that he shouldn't. But I also am a big proponent of private property rights.

Freedoms no longer free you, just ask bakers.

Common
08-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Many people of different ethnicities and races are just more comfortable around their own. You dont have to hate others to prefer your own kind. You can relate better and in general you just meld with like people.

Howey
08-19-2015, 09:07 PM
I have no problem with voluntary segregation but I do wonder why it's so prevalent among whites.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/06/its-mostly-white-people-who-prefer-to-live-in-segregated-neighborhoods/396887/

Here’s what a*2009 study*by the University of Illinois at Chicago sociologist Maria Krysan and other scholars, published in the*American Journal of Sociology, found: Given a choice of all-white, 60 percent white and 40 percent black, or all-black, “whites said the all-white neighborhoods were most desirable. The independent effect of racial composition was smaller among blacks and blacks identified the racially mixed neighborhood as most desirable,”along with*all-black neighborhoods.

And it isn’t so much that whites want to live among “people who are similar to them,” Krysan and her co-authors write, but rather that “anti-black feelings [are] driving whites’ residential preferences.”

Other studies, the authors note, have found that whites are not comfortable with more than 20 percent of their neighbors being black, while blacks prefer a 50-50 split and don’t particularly prefer either all-white or all-black neighborhoods. Importantly, black people’s aversion to all-white neighborhoods is rooted not in a desire to live exclusively among blacks, but rather derives from the fear of discrimination in all-white neighborhoods.

“It is misleading, I think, to use the word ‘voluntary choices’ given what underlies the preferences of African Americans in particular to not be the ‘pioneer’ or one of just a few blacks in a neighborhood/community,” emails Krysan. “A number of different studies (my own and others)… demonstrate that the desire for more diverse neighborhoods is driven importantly by concerns about discrimination in neighborhoods that are overwhelmingly white. I would not call that a truly ‘voluntary’ choice, given that it is inextricably tied up with past and present circumstances of racial violence and discrimination towards blacks who move into neighborhoods that are all or very predominately white.”

The Xl
08-19-2015, 09:07 PM
I think it's a mixture of shared culture and comfort as to why people voluntarily segregate. I don't necessarily disagree with the reasoning as long as it's not based on bigotry, but I do think that it isn't a great thing. I admittedly don't have a lot of minority friends and I don't live in an area that would be considered a melting pot of races (mostly white and Asian) but it wouldn't bother me if there were more of a mixture around. I do think that when an area has a mixture of races and cultures it can lend itself to a lot of great shared experiences. Whether that's through food, activities, art, music or other mediums. I do think a lot of times segregation tends to lend itself to a slow formation of bigotry that gets learned through generations, a bigotry formed out of ignorance from the lack of interaction.

I think people get scared from the unknown and uncomfortable. People also haste in making judgements without knowing everything there is to know about a person or people. I think many people of all races that segregate for whatever reason are guilty of it. I think these things in conjunction create some level of hostility. If people just approached things with an open mind and without a presumed narrative, the world would be better.

After all, we're all the same species, we all can breed, are all capable of communicating, the whole gantlet. Much of this nonsense is tribal and superficial, and while fear of someone who looked different, be it racially or ethnically, may have been a legitimate survival instinct way back when, it isn't now.

Captain Obvious
08-19-2015, 09:09 PM
I have no problem with voluntary segregation but I do wonder why it's so prevalent among whites.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/06/its-mostly-white-people-who-prefer-to-live-in-segregated-neighborhoods/396887/

So wanting to live among like kind = anti opposite kind?

Progressive logic at it's finest.

Howey
08-19-2015, 09:21 PM

I don't see how a sociological study can be referred to as "progressive logic". Please explain.

Captain Obvious
08-19-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't see how a sociological study can be referred to as "progressive logic". Please explain.

My pleasure, it's all right here:

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/49380-What-is-your-problem-with-segregation?p=1223635&viewfull=1#post1223635

Cigar
08-19-2015, 09:57 PM
This is The United States of America, if you don't want to be bothered, GTFO and get yourself an Island. Get use to it, Brown and Black people are going find you. :grin: OP requested thread ban for bad faith post in tPF discussion forum

Redrose
08-19-2015, 10:13 PM
I voluntarily segregate myself according to a certain standard of living, not by race, nationality or religion. We have a diverse community, White, Asian, Black, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Indian in that order approx. All are educated, economically stable, and all have a desire to maintain their home properly so our property values remain sound and the community is beautifully preserved.

I do not want to live in an area or community, all White people or not, that does not share my community property values and standard of living. I'm prejudiced against a certain attitude, and I avoid people with that certain attitude.

There is nothing wrong with people making those decisons.

The Xl
08-19-2015, 10:17 PM
I voluntarily segregate myself according to a certain standard of living, not by race, nationality or religion. We have a diverse community, White, Asian, Black, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Indian in that order approx. All are educated, economically stable, and all have a desire to maintain their home properly so our property values remain sound and the community is beautifully preserved.

I do not want to live in an area or community, all White people or not, that does not share my community property values and standard of living. I'm prejudiced against a certain attitude, and I avoid people with that certain attitude.

Nothing wrong with any of that at all.

Captain Obvious
08-20-2015, 05:08 AM

Agreed, but the left wing hate machine will label you a racist and try to force you to have to live differently than you choose to, because they know better than you do.

And in the progressive left's ignorance and stupidity, all they are accomplishing is furthering the racial divide, ensuring minority dysfunction basically.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Exactly. Then we have the reference to "fear". Do most people live in fear of the proverbial Other? It's a good thign we have this enlightened minority of hip cats.

Captain Obvious
08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Exactly. Then we have the reference to "fear". Do most people live in fear of the proverbial Other? It's a good thign we have this enlightened minority of hip cats.

Right - agenda-driven guilt complex promotion basically, based on nothing logical for the most part.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Right - agenda-driven guilt complex promotion basically, based on nothing logical for the most part.

I just find it amusing that our 'free thinkers' parrot these stale, authoritarian canards from the 1960s. Integration didn't fail because people are "afraid". It failed because it goes against our basic nature.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 08:47 AM

There is nothing logical about it at all. I have to laugh at how often people will rush to say that they have no problem living among people of different races etc. Residential patterns in the US give the lie to that.

Captain Obvious
08-20-2015, 08:47 AM
I just find it amusing that our 'free thinkers' parrot these stale, authoritarian canards from the 1960s. Integration didn't fail because people are "afraid". It failed because it goes against our basic nature.

I think basic nature is a part of it, but I also think our western society enabled and promoted it, often by accident (or stupidity to be more specific) and I don't think our society is equipped or smart enough to deal with it effectively and will continue to promote and widen the racial divide.

The whole PC nonsense and the fact that we have to scapegoat things as the cause of dysfunction is the nail in that shit coffin.

It's like the education system, blame the system 100% of the time, not the users.

Chris
08-20-2015, 09:42 AM
There is nothing logical about it at all. I have to laugh at how often people will rush to say that they have no problem living among people of different races etc. Residential patterns in the US give the lie to that.

While that may generally be true, it's not always. I live in a neighborhood I'd roughly estimate is representative of San Antonio, 65% Hispanic, 25% White, 7% Black. I didn't really even think about it when I moved in. I tend to get along better with the Blacks than the Hispanics but I think that's partly a language issue. I dislike none of either but there are a number of Whites I dislike for various reasons developed over 20 years.

I see no problem with voluntary segregation if that's what someone wants. I'm surprise to see some say this. More later.

The Xl
08-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Basic nature, as you put it, had Europeans hating and massacring each other for thousands of years, and ethnic harmony and mixing is still a relatively new phenomenon.

Something for you to ponder.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Basic nature, as you put it, had Europeans hating and massacring each other for thousands of years, and ethnic harmony and mixing is still a relatively new phenomenon.

Something for you to ponder.

That's nice. Not sure what it has to do with the social reality of segregation though. Not sure what it has to do with anything I've ever said either but that's neither here nor there. Kind of like the comment itself...

Mister D
08-20-2015, 10:29 AM
While that may generally be true, it's not always. I live in a neighborhood I'd roughly estimate is representative of San Antonio, 65% Hispanic, 25% White, 7% Black. I didn't really even think about it when I moved in. I tend to get along better with the Blacks than the Hispanics but I think that's partly a language issue. I dislike none of either but there are a number of Whites I dislike for various reasons developed over 20 years.

I see no problem with voluntary segregation if that's what someone wants. I'm surprise to see some say this. More later.

There are plenty of exceptions but that is the general pattern.

Chris
08-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Here's my more, and it speaks to the general pattern, the progressive culture warrior who demands segregation rarely segregates himself.

Ethereal
08-20-2015, 10:32 AM

It doesn't go against my basic nature. I'm actually quite attracted to black women... :afro:

Mister D
08-20-2015, 10:36 AM
It doesn't go against my basic nature. I'm actually quite attracted to black women... :afro:

There are outliers of course...:shocked: :afro:

Mister D
08-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Here's my more, and it speaks to the general pattern, the progressive culture warrior who demands segregation rarely segregates himself.

You mean the kind of folks who lecture is about diversity before driving back to their lily white neighborhood?

The Xl
08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
That's nice. Not sure what it has to do with the social reality of segregation though. Not sure what it has to do with anything I've ever said either but that's neither here nor there. Kind of like the comment itself...

Sure it does. It's asserting that our basic nature is to segregate racially. I mean, if that's so, then why did whites self segregate, have contempt for, and fight endless wars with other whites? The circumstances and variables changed, that's what, and it's perfectly reasonable to believe the same could happen here as well. In fact, racial relations, for the most part, between whites and blacks now, be it from any point of view, are much better than how whites viewed other ethnic whites 100 years ago, and don't get me started on beyond that period of time.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Sure it does. It's asserting that our basic nature is to segregate racially. I mean, if that's so, then why did whites self segregate, have contempt for, and fight endless wars with other whites? The circumstances and variables changed, that's what, and it's perfectly reasonable to believe the same could happen here as well. In fact, racial relations, for the most part, between whites and blacks now, be it from any point of view, are much better than how whites viewed other ethnic whites 100 years ago, and don't get me started on beyond that period of time.

Why do I sometimes have arguments with other white people? It's kind a of silly point, no offense. No one claims whites always get along. And, yes, relations between whites and blacks are better than they were and yet we are segregated perhaps as much as ever. Good point.

Segregation is a social reality. Here is Occam's Razor. Use it.

Redrose
08-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Agreed, but the left wing hate machine will label you a racist and try to force you to have to live differently than you choose to, because they know better than you do.

And in the progressive left's ignorance and stupidity, all they are accomplishing is furthering the racial divide, ensuring minority dysfunction basically.

That is why is fight progressive thinking tooth and nail. I disagree with everything they stand for. No one will tell me how to live or where to live.

When people earn their livelihood and buy things, they take care of those items as I do. They have a sense of self worth, pride, accomplishment, self respect and respect for the property of others too. But when everything they have is given to them by the government, they value nothing, they respect nothing, and they can destroy it because they didn't work to create it. They know more will be given to them, somebody else will pay for it.

My days of living in a neighborhood with accordian gates on the stores is long gone.

I'd like to live like our politicians do. Secluded homes in posh wealthy areas, chauffeured around with armed security. Expense accounts, excellent salaries, benefits, retirement after just a few years, minimal accountability and the ability to make rules and laws that don't always govern them.

Hypocrites.

Common
08-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Why do I sometimes have arguments with other white people? It's kind a of silly point, no offense. No one claims whites always get along. And, yes, relations between whites and blacks are better than they were and yet we are segregated perhaps as much as ever. Good point.

Because whites will segregate from other whites, I guess you can use liberal and conservative as an example. Its easy to understand racial segregation theres color opposite and culturally not interchangeable. When it comes to whites segregating from other whites it breaks down more to ethnicity like caucasian Hispanics prefering their own. You arguing with other whites is no different than a black person arguing with other black people.

Cthulhu
08-20-2015, 02:08 PM
I think people get scared from the unknown and uncomfortable. People also haste in making judgements without knowing everything there is to know about a person or people. I think many people of all races that segregate for whatever reason are guilty of it. I think these things in conjunction create some level of hostility. If people just approached things with an open mind and without a presumed narrative, the world would be better.

After all, we're all the same species, we all can breed, are all capable of communicating, the whole gantlet. Much of this nonsense is tribal and superficial, and while fear of someone who looked different, be it racially or ethnically, may have been a legitimate survival instinct way back when, it isn't now.
It is still very relevant now days, but that is largely based on location. Like Redrose said about her neighborhood.

There is some xenophobia towards the unknown. I will accept that.

However there is also caution towards what is known to be troublesome based upon appearance and behavior.

I wouldn't leap at the chance to live in a white trash trailer park just because they are all white, or the black part of the ever decaying Detroit.

Both have obvious and proven dangers associated with them.

Bottom line, the desire to segregate is not always based in ignorance. Sometimes it is rooted in being informed or just having bad experiences X group.

Common
08-20-2015, 02:15 PM
That is why is fight progressive thinking tooth and nail. I disagree with everything they stand for. No one will tell me how to live or where to live.

When people earn their livelihood and buy things, they take care of those items as I do. They have a sense of self worth, pride, accomplishment, self respect and respect for the property of others too. But when everything they have is given to them by the government, they value nothing, they respect nothing, and they can destroy it because they didn't work to create it. They know more will be given to them, somebody else will pay for it.

My days of living in a neighborhood with accordian gates on the stores is long gone.

I'd like to live like our politicians do. Secluded homes in posh wealthy areas, chauffeured around with armed security. Expense accounts, excellent salaries, benefits, retirement after just a few years, minimal accountability and the ability to make rules and laws that don't always govern them.

Hypocrites.

Rose I lived a lifetime with accordian shutters and gated stores. That has nothing to do with progressive thinking. Its economics, its a CITY, city life is what it is.

When cities were mostly all white there was White Crime, going back to the days pre italian immigrant you had the german and irish and jewish mobs, with the ethnic mobs blood flowed in the street. Neighborhoods then were no safer then if you "didnt belong there"

I think some are confusing economic segregation to intentional segregation. I could live in a posh gated high security enclave type deeded development if I chose, I do not, its not for me.

Chris
08-20-2015, 02:17 PM
It is still very relevant now days, but that is largely based on location. Like Redrose said about her neighborhood.

However there is also caution towards what is known to be troublesome based upon appearance and behavior.

I wouldn't leap at the chance to live in a white trash trailer park just because they are all white, or the black part of the ever decaying Detroit.

Bottom line, the desire to segregate is not always based in ignorance. Sometimes it is rooted in being informed or just having bad experiences X group.

Agree, generally. Earlier I related how my neighborhood is segregated, voluntarily. But that doesn't mean when we looked for a place to build we didn't segregate out run down areas, areas with lousy schools, and so on.

Common
08-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Agree, generally. Earlier I related how my neighborhood is segregated, voluntarily. But that doesn't mean when we looked for a place to build we didn't segregate out run down areas, areas with lousy schools, and so on.

Id bet your neighborhood is segrated economically, meaning others couldnt afford to live there.

Different levels of wealth segregate more than any other reason. Someone that can afford a modest home out of the city isnt going to buy a home in a bad neighborhood in the city regardless of color.

Economics is the biggest factor in segregation

Chris
08-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Id bet your neighborhood is segrated economically, meaning others couldnt afford to live there.

Different levels of wealth segregate more than any other reason. Someone that can afford a modest home out of the city isnt going to buy a home in a bad neighborhood in the city regardless of color.

Economics is the biggest factor in segregation

Even so it's representative of San Antonio, 65% Hispanic, 25% White, 7% Black. It's middle class: We're on the west side, just outside city limits, as you circle the city, at least out on the west side, south to north it gets richer and richer.

Howey
08-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Perhaps not, but racism is.

The Xl
08-20-2015, 04:07 PM

No, the point isn't that they sometimes didn't get along, it's that they didn't really get along on a massive scale, period. And there was self segregation, naturally.

It's a social reality now, yes, the question is why, and for how long.

The Xl
08-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Fair enough, but behavior isn't necessarily always a black and white thing. If multiple people share the same culture and intellect, among other things, what would the problem be at that point?

Mister D
08-20-2015, 04:11 PM
No, the point isn't that they sometimes didn't get along, it's that they didn't really get along on a massive scale, period. And there was self segregation, naturally.

It's a social reality now, yes, the question is why, and for how long.

Again, no one claimed whites always got along. Sometimes they did. Sometimes they didn't. But what that has to do with the reality of segregation (not theory, reality) is anyone's guess.

When hasn't it been?

The Xl
08-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Again, no one claimed whites always got along. Sometimes they did. Sometimes they didn't. But what that has to do with the reality of segregation (not theory, reality) is anyone's guess.

When hasn't it been?

It's simple. If whites have historically had issues with other whites so much so that they didn't even see them as human, or massacred them outright(Soviets on Germans, Nazis to Jews,etc) and that all eventually passed, wouldn't it be a logical perspective to think this will as well? The one thing that changed in the former examples was certain variables, and I believe there are variables that are holding back racial relations, as well.

The way I see it, either ethnic and racial conflict is natural and we artificially overcame it, first with ethnic issues, now we're working on racial ones, or that it isn't natural and certain unnatural variables caused the conflicts in the first place

Common
08-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Even so it's representative of San Antonio, 65% Hispanic, 25% White, 7% Black. It's middle class: We're on the west side, just outside city limits, as you circle the city, at least out on the west side, south to north it gets richer and richer.

I understand that and thats my point, all areas are segregated by means. You have the impoverished to lower income to middle to levels of upper. They dont intermingle because they cant afford to move up.

Dr. Who
08-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Conflicts between various peoples of the world whether they shared the same skin color or not generally came down to competition for resources - transposed to a diverse city, this comes down to economics. New immigrants and first gen offspring of same living with older immigrant family members, will group together for linguistic reasons and in order to create an easy market for ethnic food stores and the like. Down the line however, there is less reason to self-segregate. Some will and some will not, depending on the size of the specific ethnic population and their socio-economic place in society. Poverty tends to exacerbate competition for resources, so you will see more self-segregation in poorer areas. What is interesting is that the higher the income, the higher the integration rate, even despite linguistic differences.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Conflicts between various peoples of the world whether they shared the same skin color or not generally came down to competition for resources - transposed to a diverse city, this comes down to economics.

No, it didn't. War was a highly ritualized activity. It still is. As for cities, even NYC is segregated. It's the way things are, Who.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 06:55 PM
It's simple. If whites have historically had issues with other whites so much so that they didn't even see them as human, or massacred them outright(Soviets on Germans, Nazis to Jews,etc) and that all eventually passed, wouldn't it be a logical perspective to think this will as well? The one thing that changed in the former examples was certain variables, and I believe there are variables that are holding back racial relations, as well.

The way I see it, either ethnic and racial conflict is natural and we artificially overcame it, first with ethnic issues, now we're working on racial ones, or that it isn't natural and certain unnatural variables caused the conflicts in the first place

Send me a PM when this happens.

I'm going to try this one more time. Ready...

It's not about conflict. It's not about fear. OK? Do you understand that?

Howey
08-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Send me a PM when this happens.

I'm going to try this one more time. Ready...

It's not about conflict. It's not about fear. OK? Do you understand that?

Yes. White folk are scared of the negro.

Common
08-20-2015, 07:11 PM

Well that sure helps to keep it all civil howie :)

Dr. Who
08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
No, it didn't. War was a highly ritualized activity. It still is. As for cities, even NYC is segregated. It's the way things are, Who.
Wars were always about resources - I don't care if they were ritualized or not, the reason behind them was competition for food, land, treasures - the latter to fund armies so that they could lay claim to the former and oh, power and wealth. Ethnicity was always an easy excuse to inspire hate in soldiers - motivation to fight - we are good - they are bad. But for them, we would live well. You can read the entire body of human history and distill it to those basic issues.

Peter1469
08-20-2015, 07:17 PM

Notice: TBed at request of the OP.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Wars were always about resources - I don't care if they were ritualized or not, the reason behind them was competition for food, land, treasures - the latter to fund armies so that they could lay claim to the former and oh, power and wealth. Ethnicity was always an easy excuse to inspire hate in soldiers - motivation to fight - we are good - they are bad. But for them, we would live well. You can read the entire body of human history and distill it to those basic issues.

No, wars were not always about resources. That you think so says more about you and your culture than it does about other societies, your ancestors, and their wars.

Actually, no, it wasn't. Ethnic and racial hatreds are fed by democracy, patriotism, and nationalism. You're projecting a modern phenomenon on your ancestors.

Mister D
08-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I like this forum. i think I will post here more often. I can personally put the kaibosh on trolling.

Redrose
08-20-2015, 07:42 PM
I understand that and thats my point, all areas are segregated by means. You have the impoverished to lower income to middle to levels of upper. They dont intermingle because they cant afford to move up.

My community has rules. No parking on the street, all vehicles in the garage or drive. No working on a car in your driveway. No boats, or motorhomes or disabled vehicles on the property. No signs, political or otherwise, well kept homes, anything in disrepair must be fixed. The area is beautiful, property values sound. Everyone living there accepts those restrictions and want the same type of neighborhood. They all have a significant investment to protect.

A few miles away, there is a section with broken down homes, weeds four feet high, broken windows, broken doors, junk cars in the front yard, cats and dogs all over, blue tarps on roofs, washing machine on the front porch or yard. I call it a slum. The people there are poor. I get that. Most if not all have a mass of tattoos, which cost money last time I checked. There are also people sitting around who look able bodied to me....just sitting around. They could work if they wanted to. I could never live like that.

You can be poor, but you don't have to be lazy or dirty.