PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bezos' Spaceship Fails During Test Flight.....

MMC
09-04-2011, 05:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/jeff-bezos-spaceship-fails-during-test-flight-224354954.html

VAN HORN, Texas (AP) — An unmanned spacecraft bankrolled by Amazon.com Inc. CEO Jeff Bezos failed during a recent test flight.
The vehicle became unstable at 45,000 feet (13,700 meters) and ground controllers had to terminate it as a precaution. Additional details about what went wrong were not released.

Bezos founded Blue Origin to develop a vertical takeoff and landing rocketship that would fly passengers to suborbital space. It recently won money from NASA to compete to go into orbit as a space taxi now that the space shuttle fleet is retired.

The mishap occurred during a test flight last week from Blue Origin's West Texas spaceport. The ultra-secretive company notified the Federal Aviation Administration about the launch and only acknowledged the accident publicly on Friday.The Wall Street Journal, which first reported about the failure, said the test did not use federal funds and was not part of the development agreement with NASA.
Blue Origin's failure shines a spotlight on the risks of commercial space ventures.....snip~

Looks Like Not only have we phased out much of NASA but it looks like the private sector is still having difficulties. They won money from NASA to compete in being a space taxi. But even Virgin Galactic has had a problem with one of his test vehicles blowing up and killing 3 pilots. Don't know if we should call them Astronauts tho. Can't we still stick with cabbies? http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/satellite.png

Conley
09-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Yep, that's why I am not sold on private business being able to step in where NASA got off. It's still too much for them. Look at the Moon landings, NASA pulled that off fifty years ago and still no other country has been able to accomplish that.

MMC
09-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Yep, that's why I am not sold on private business being able to step in where NASA got off. It's still too much for them. Look at the Moon landings, NASA pulled that off fifty years ago and still no other country has been able to accomplish that.

Yeah and I am not to found of letting the private sector just roam around up there in the first place. Nor do I think that the Russians do either.

Conley
09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Yeah and I am not to found of letting the private sector just roam around up there in the first place. Nor do I think that the Russians do either.

That's true too. Already too much space debris up there and sometimes that stuff falls back to Earth instead of burning up completely.

MMC
09-04-2011, 10:54 AM

That's true too. Already too much space debris up there and sometimes that stuff falls back to Earth instead of burning up completely.

Yeah I think they had a report on it.....that we may need to start thinking about cleaning up what we have in orbit.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Yeah I think they had a report on it.....that we may need to start thinking about cleaning up what we have in orbit.

Yeah I don't know who is going to take responsibility for cleaning up all that trash. Maybe we can send up some convicts to pick up the litter like they do on the highways? >:D ;D

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Yeah I don't know who is going to take responsibility for cleaning up all that trash. Maybe we can send up some convicts to pick up the litter like they do on the highways? >:D ;D

I'm on it my brutha we just need soemone to provide us with the means to get up there. I got vacuums up the ying-yang. :D ;D

http://news.yahoo.com/space-junk-littering-orbit-might-cleaning-173155267.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Space junk has made such a mess of Earth's orbit that experts say we may need to finally think about cleaning it up.

That may mean vacuuming up debris with weird space technology — cosmic versions of nets, magnets and giant umbrellas, according to the chairman of an expert panel that issued a new report on the problem Thursday.
There are 22,000 objects in orbit that are big enough for officials on the ground to track and countless more smaller ones that could do damage to human-carrying spaceships and valuable satellites. The International Space Station has to move out of the way of debris from time to time.

"We've lost control of the environment," said retired NASA senior scientist Donald Kessler, who headed the National Academy of Sciences report.....snip~

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:29 AM
:D

I can't even keep my desk clean...outer space? No thanks ;D Though I guess it could mean more jobs, a good thing for the economy ;)

MMC
09-04-2011, 10:54 PM

I can't even keep my desk clean...outer space? No thanks ;D Though I guess it could mean more jobs, a good thing for the economy ;)

I notice that the MSM didnt report Branson's little mishap with Virgin Galatic.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Which mishap is that? I missed it.

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:09 PM

When his test flight killed those 3 pilots or private astronauts. Note he is also alledgedly working on a subs to.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:13 PM

When his test flight killed those 3 pilots or private astronauts. Note he is also alledgedly working on a subs to.

Woah. That aint good. No I didn't hear about that at all.

Oh. That was back in '07...just Googled it.

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Woah. That aint good. No I didn't hear about that at all.

Oh. That was back in '07...just Googled it.

07 sheesh.....and no one has heard squat from him since. Seems Governments are to trusting of some of these private contractors IMO.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Well I think if he'd gotten the kinks worked out we would have heard something...it's probably a more difficult operation than he thought. I read in an 07 article he'd be offering flighs in 18 months and start building a Space Hotel six months after that :D

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Well I think if he'd gotten the kinks worked out we would have heard something...it's probably a more difficult operation than he thought. I read in an 07 article he'd be offering flighs in 18 months and start building a Space Hotel six months after that :D

A Space motel..... :D :D ;D Werent we just talking about the difficulties of maid service. Wonder how Room Service Works out. Plus I just thought of something, Womens High heels would become obsolete with space life. :'( :'(

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:47 PM

A Space motel..... :D :D ;D Werent we just talking about the difficulties of maid service. Wonder how Room Service Works out. Plus I just thought of something, Womens High heels would become obsolete with space life. :'( :'(

SpaceShip Two
Main article: Scaled Composites SpaceShipTwo

Sir Richard Branson unveiled the rocket plane on Monday 7 December 2009. SpaceShipTwo was presented to the world in the Mojave desert, in California. The vehicle underwent testing during the following 18 months before being allowed to take ticketed individuals on short-hop trips just above the atmosphere. Sir Richard Branson, who heads the Virgin Group, intends to run the first flights out of New Mexico before extending operations around the globe. Built from lightweight carbon composite materials and powered by a hybrid rocket motor, SS2 is based on the Ansari X PRIZE-winning SpaceShipOne concept - a rocket plane that is lifted initially by a carrier vehicle before blasting skywards. SS1 became the world's first private spaceship with a series of high-altitude flights in 2004.[4]

Its successor, however, is twice as large, measuring 18 m (60 ft) in length. And whereas SpaceShipOne only had a single pilot (and the ballast equivalent of two passengers), SS2 will have a crew of two and room for six passengers. More than 400 individuals are reported to have signed up for a flight as of early 2011. [5] Each is paying $200,000 (£121,000) for the privilege of experiencing approximately six minutes of weightlessness during what will be a two-hour end-to-end flight. Many of those future "astronauts" have attended the VIP unveiling at the Mojave Air and Spaceport. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson christened the spaceliner Virgin SpaceShip (VSS) Enterprise.

The New Mexico authorities are investing almost $200m (£121m) in a purpose-built facility in Upham, Spaceport America. It will have a 3,000m (10,000 ft) runway and a suitably space-age terminal and hangar building designed by Foster and Partners. Sir Richard's Virgin Galactic enterprise will have competitors but he is almost certain to be the first to market, barring any problems arising in the test campaign. SpaceShipTwo's carrier plane is called WhiteKnightTwo. It was finished last year and has already begun its own trials.[6]

I think they have abandoned the Space Hotel... White Knight Two? Sounds like some kind of Chess!

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:53 PM

SpaceShip Two
Main article: Scaled Composites SpaceShipTwo

Sir Richard Branson unveiled the rocket plane on Monday 7 December 2009. SpaceShipTwo was presented to the world in the Mojave desert, in California. The vehicle underwent testing during the following 18 months before being allowed to take ticketed individuals on short-hop trips just above the atmosphere. Sir Richard Branson, who heads the Virgin Group, intends to run the first flights out of New Mexico before extending operations around the globe. Built from lightweight carbon composite materials and powered by a hybrid rocket motor, SS2 is based on the Ansari X PRIZE-winning SpaceShipOne concept - a rocket plane that is lifted initially by a carrier vehicle before blasting skywards. SS1 became the world's first private spaceship with a series of high-altitude flights in 2004.[4]

Its successor, however, is twice as large, measuring 18 m (60 ft) in length. And whereas SpaceShipOne only had a single pilot (and the ballast equivalent of two passengers), SS2 will have a crew of two and room for six passengers. More than 400 individuals are reported to have signed up for a flight as of early 2011. [5] Each is paying $200,000 (£121,000) for the privilege of experiencing approximately six minutes of weightlessness during what will be a two-hour end-to-end flight. Many of those future "astronauts" have attended the VIP unveiling at the Mojave Air and Spaceport. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson christened the spaceliner Virgin SpaceShip (VSS) Enterprise.

The New Mexico authorities are investing almost $200m (£121m) in a purpose-built facility in Upham, Spaceport America. It will have a 3,000m (10,000 ft) runway and a suitably space-age terminal and hangar building designed by Foster and Partners. Sir Richard's Virgin Galactic enterprise will have competitors but he is almost certain to be the first to market, barring any problems arising in the test campaign. SpaceShipTwo's carrier plane is called WhiteKnightTwo. It was finished last year and has already begun its own trials.[6]

I think they have abandoned the Space Hotel... White Knight Two? Sounds like some kind of Chess!

White Knight II.....sounds like Branson is sending a message to the Arabs. Specifically the Sunni. White Knight=Crusader.....II=Templar. Funny man! :D >:D

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:56 PM
The Templars are everywhere! :o

MMC
09-05-2011, 12:01 AM
The Templars are everywhere! :o

Space.....the Final Frontier. To explore strange new worlds, to boldly go Where No Sunni has gone before. Works for me! :D ;D