PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps considers lowing standards for the Infantry Officer's Course

Peter1469
08-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Marine Corps considers lowing standards for the Infantry Officer's Course (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/19/marine-corps-weighs-lower-standards-for-women-afte/?page=1)

The Marine Corps started the integration of women into its combat arms training courses. Some females did pass the enlisted infantry course. No female officer passed the Infantry Officer Course- only four made it past the first day.

A IOC diploma is a must to earn the designation of infantry officer. Of 29 women who tried, none graduated; only four made it through the first day’s combat endurance test.

Corps public affairs said it did not have the data on which tasks proved the toughest for women. But one particularly demanding upper-body strength test is climbing a 25-foot rope with a backpack full of gear. A candidate who cannot crawl to the top fails the test.

Traditionalists see the 0-29 performance as a call to arms by those inside the Pentagon (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/pentagon/) who are determined to have significant numbers of women in the infantry. They are on the lookout for standards they believe are no longer relevant in today’s battlefield.

More at the link.

Archer0915
08-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Stupid as hell. Weaken our military in the name of sexual equality.

Common
08-22-2015, 03:23 PM
I knew this would happen eventually. I am so against this I wont even speak on it. I will just note that it will mean the destruction of an institution that has been americas backbone.. This is the same reason we have police that weigh 110 lbs

The Xl
08-22-2015, 05:26 PM
It's stupid.

Howey
08-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Marine Corps considers lowing standards for the Infantry Officer's Course (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/19/marine-corps-weighs-lower-standards-for-women-afte/?page=1)

The Marine Corps started the integration of women into its combat arms training courses. Some females did pass the enlisted infantry course. No female officer passed the Infantry Officer Course- only four made it past the first day.

More at the link.

No big deal. They'll still be outstanding officers.But I'm wondering when the word traditionalist became synonymous with misogynist.

Mister D
08-22-2015, 05:40 PM
No big deal. They'll still be outstanding officers.But I'm wondering when the word traditionalist became synonymous with misogynist.

Only since your post, Howey. lol

The Xl
08-22-2015, 05:41 PM

These sorts of tests exist for a reason. These female marines aren't any good at them, lowering standards is not a good idea.

I'm not one of those types that feels only men should be in it, but I'm also not a supporter of lowering standards, I'm not into bowing to peer pressure for some social experimentation, the military is the wrong forum for that, if you want to be there, you need to pass the test. That's the way it should be.

Howey
08-22-2015, 05:46 PM
These sorts of tests exist for a reason. These female marines aren't any good at them, lowering standards is not a good idea.

I'm not one of those types that feels only men should be in it, but I'm also not a supporter of lowering standards, I'm not into bowing to peer pressure for some social experimentation, the military is the wrong forum for that, if you want to be there, you need to pass the test. That's the way it should be.

The military adjusts standards all the time. Look at all the fat ass officers and enlisted out there. They'd have been booted out twenty years ago.

The Xl
08-22-2015, 05:48 PM
The military adjusts standards all the time. Look at all the fat ass officers and enlisted out there. They'd have been booted out twenty years ago.

I don't know the specifics of all of that, what I do know is that standards should not be lowered to accommodate to the weakest link. That link needs to get stronger or find something else to do.

Mister D
08-22-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't know the specifics of all of that, what I do know is that standards should not be lowered to accommodate to the weakest link. That link needs to get stronger or find something else to do.

What Howey is suggesting is that not expecting 40 year old officers to meet the same physical standards that a 20 year old does is the same thing as lowering the standards for female recruits and would be officers. IOW, it was a retarded comment not worthy of a serious reply.

Peter1469
08-22-2015, 05:54 PM

It appears since 6:35pm when the website recorded your post. :wink:

Peter1469
08-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Standards should be revisited periodically. But they shouldn't be lowered to satisfy the political correct nonsense of the day. Understand what the various jobs require and set standards accordingly.

The Xl
08-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Standards should be revisited periodically. But they shouldn't be lowered to satisfy the political correct nonsense of the day. Understand what the various jobs require and set standards accordingly.

This.

Ethereal
08-22-2015, 06:04 PM

No big deal. Easy to say when you never spent a single second in an infantry unit...

Ethereal
08-22-2015, 06:10 PM
To be honest, it doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I don't subscribe to the nation-state paradigm that the US military is intended to uphold, so if they want to weaken their military, then I won't stand in their way. However, anyone with a shred of common sense realizes that "equality" and such nonsense simply don't apply in combat arms, theoretically or practically. It's simply not the place for it. That's why the military has entry standards in the first place. They discriminate, and rightly so, against mentally and physically handicapped, the old, the young, the criminal, and the mentally weak, for starters. Yet, for some strange reason, people feel the need to get women into combat arms, even if that means lowering the standards and endangering the unit for purely PC reasons. It's just straight up dumb.

Mister D
08-22-2015, 06:22 PM
To be honest, it doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I don't subscribe to the nation-state paradigm that the US military is intended to uphold, so if they want to weaken their military, then I won't stand in their way. However, anyone with a shred of common sense realizes that "equality" and such nonsense simply don't apply in combat arms, theoretically or practically. It's simply not the place for it. That's why the military has entry standards in the first place. They discriminate, and rightly so, against mentally and physically handicapped, the old, the young, the criminal, and the mentally weak, for starters. Yet, for some strange reason, people feel the need to get women into combat arms, even if that means lowering the standards and endangering the unit for purely PC reasons. It's just straight up dumb.

/thread

Howey
08-22-2015, 07:34 PM
No big deal. Easy to say when you never spent a single second in an infantry unit...

As have thousands and thousands of others. Doesn't minimize our contribution

Common
08-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Lowering standards got you todays police, lowering standards always does the same thing, dilutes the quality of the agency sometimes to a degree it becomes impotent.

Dilute the requirements mentally and physically to be a marine and you will destroy a force thats lifesblood is physical ability and cohesion. Equality will do one thing for certain make for more dead marines. Its absolutely ridiculous and dangerous

Howey
08-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Lowering standards got you todays police, lowering standards always does the same thing, dilutes the quality of the agency sometimes to a degree it becomes impotent.

Dilute the requirements mentally and physically to be a marine and you will destroy a force thats lifesblood is physical ability and cohesion. Equality will do one thing for certain make for more dead marines. Its absolutely ridiculous and dangerous

Tell that to all the fat ass marine infantryman out there. Not the women who can kick their asses.

The Xl
08-22-2015, 07:54 PM

My 53 year old mother can pass the pull up portion of the marine fitness test that most of these chicks in their teens to 30s can't. I'm sorry, that's just lol.

We shouldn't be dropping standards. These girls just need to step their games up.

The Xl
08-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Most cops I see are tiny or fat. That's probably why they feel the need to prematurely use excessive force in some instances.

The military and the police are not the place for pc, everyone gets a medal, bs social experiments. Now, I'm not like some others, I think everyone, even females, deserve the opportunity, even if the chances are slim. But you need to complete the outlined protocol.

Ethereal
08-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Tell that to all the fat ass marine infantryman out there. Not the women who can kick their asses.

So the solution to already low standards in the infantry is to lower them even more?

Common
08-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Most cops I see are tiny or fat. That's probably why they feel the need to prematurely use excessive force in some instances.

The military and the police are not the place for pc, everyone gets a medal, bs social experiments. Now, I'm not like some others, I think everyone, even females, deserve the opportunity, even if the chances are slim. But you need to complete the outlined protocol.

You are exactly right, when I was a cop we were trained to use self defense some judo and had more physical training. When they lowered the standards for "equality" it all plunged into the toilet. You went from having 6' plus police to 5'5 and 4 and thats not only the women, men became much smaller.
Realizing 105 lbs is useless to train to deal with 250lbs plus they teach more deadly forms of self defense, tasers etc.

Equality is when two are equal. Equality is not breaking one down to meet the lowest common denominator because what you get then is just that.

The police and its problems today are mostly created problems most of which could have been avoided, but its a moot issue its been this way since they screwed it up in 1974. The other bit of genius applied to police were allowing 18 yr olds to be cops. Thank God that was short lived

Redrose
08-22-2015, 09:07 PM
There are many jobs that can be done by both sexes very well. I am 100% against women police, firemen and military infantry.

I want to see big, strong cops, firemen and soldiers not a 105 lb female or a 120 lb male. I don't care how tough they are.