PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s call for American nationalism

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Trump’s call for American nationalism (http://www.wnd.com/2015/08/is-trumpism-the-new-nationalism/)

After Obama's anti-nationalism, Trumps call for nationalism is appealing to many.

Enter the Donald. If there is a single theme behind his message, it would seem to be a call for a New Nationalism or New Patriotism.

He is going to “make America great again.” He is going to build a wall on the border that will make us proud, and Mexico will pay for it.

He will send all illegal aliens home and restore the traditional value of U.S. citizenship by putting an end to the scandal of “anchor babies.”

One never hears Trump discuss the architecture of our rules-based global economy. Rather, he speaks of Mexico, China and Japan as tough rivals, not “trade partners,” smart antagonists who need to face tough American negotiators who will kick their butts.

They took our jobs and factories; now we are going to take them back. And if that Ford plant stays in Mexico, then Ford will have to climb a 35-percent tariff wall to get its trucks and cars back into the USA.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/08/is-trumpism-the-new-nationalism/#5tPMPlFRYowbbplz.99

See more at the link.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 04:22 PM
How was Obama anti Nationalism? He may have well been, just asking.

Is nationalism a good thing?

Patriotism is great...nationalism, not so great.

whatukno
08-25-2015, 04:26 PM
I think that the nation's Jewish Holocaust survivors need to speak up about the idea of Nationalism.

I think that conservatives have forgotten history, and are doomed to repeat it.

texan
08-25-2015, 04:33 PM
It is the same thing.

domer76
08-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Trump is a self-aggrandizing buffoon. He won't "make America great again". He won't send all illegals home. He won't have Mexico pay for any wall.

A couple other "won't"s. He won't be the R nominee and he won't be President. How any fool buys into his simplistic bullshit is astounding.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 04:36 PM
It is the same thing.

Nationalism and patriotism?

They are not the same thing.

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 04:37 PM

He went around the world apologizing for America.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 04:39 PM

You may see it that way. The right wing media sure spun it that way. You can still love your country and admit its mistakes.

You don't think Obama loves his country?

PolWatch
08-25-2015, 04:40 PM
The more things change, the more they remain the same. There was another populist candidate who polled at 45% in the south and 44% of the normally dem AFL-CIO in Chicago. Cheer Trump and remember that the same thing happened with George Wallace....

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 04:42 PM
You may see it that way. The right wing media sure spun it that way. You can still love your country and admit its mistakes.

No, I don't. I think he sees it as just another nation on spaceship earth.

whatukno
08-25-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm just waiting for the Conservative version of Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht)

Redrose
08-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Trump's gtrandfather emmigrated here from Germany in the late 19th century. His name was Fredrich Drumpf. He anglicized the name to Trump when he became a naturalized citizen.

"Drumpf Tower" doesn't quite cut it. IMO

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 04:44 PM
No, I don't. I think he sees it as just another nation on spaceship earth.

So that's why he ran for president. Makes perfect sense.

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 04:59 PM
I think that the nation's Jewish Holocaust survivors need to speak up about the idea of Nationalism.

Jews may notice that nationalists as defined by wanting what's best for America tend to be Christian, conservative and supporters of Israel.

Obumer otoh is soft on Muslim terrorists and a patsy for Israel's bitterest enemy, Iran.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Lol...

whatukno
08-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Jews may notice that nationalists as defined by wanting what's best for America tend to be Christian, conservative and supporters of Israel.

Obumer otoh is soft on Muslim terrorists and a patsy for Israel's bitterest enemy, Iran.

Mac, you have to be my favorite broken toy on this forum. You're so wrong about absolutely everything you post, it's almost sad to debate you.

I know that your right wing media bubble tells you that Obama is the worst thing ever to happen anywhere, in all of human history, but it's simply not true. I could go into detail how wrong you are. Like that the Iran deal was signed by our closest allies, that it really will work, and even if it doesn't we can still bomb Iran into dust like y'all want.

I could go into detail about how Israel breaks treaty after treaty, illegally occupies land that isn't theirs to begin with, and how most Arab countries don't actually hate Israel, just want them to stop being dickheads to the Palestinians who had that land legally first.

I could point out that Obama as soft on Terrorists as you claim, took out the number one terrorist jerk in the world using good old fashioned reliable intelligence. And keeps killing terrorists because he's a bad ass terrorist killing motherfucker.

But like I said in the beginning, your a broken toy, and your sealed in your right wing conservative media bubble. It wouldn't help. But if it makes you feel better, you are my favorite broken toy on this forum.

See, the left also supports Israel's right to exist, but it's not blind support. They were given land via treaty, and should have stuck with it, but instead, they bully their neighbors, and cause suffering to the Palestinians, doing evil things, doesn't make you a good guy. Using white phosphorous on civilian targets doesn't make you a good guy. We liberals have Israel's back, but it's just not with blinders on.

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm just waiting for the Conservative version of Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht)

You are a disgusting human being.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 05:22 PM

I think he's using hyperbole, but the idea that Trump has and could inspire more violence towards Hispanics isn't crazy.

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
I think he's using hyperbole, but the idea that Trump has and could inspire more violence towards Hispanics isn't crazy.

I think his use of hyperbole in this case is disgusting. I don't know when such disgusting comparisons became okay to use in respectable society, but it's a serious black mark on our civilization if we're seriously going to condone it and make excuses for it.

The simple fact of the matter is that no matter how much anyone here may irrationally hate conservatives, they are not the "American Taliban" or the Nazi Party in waiting, any more than the Democrats are the love children of Stalin and Mao deliberately trying to destroy America.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 05:28 PM
I think his use of hyperbole in this case is disgusting. I don't know when such disgusting comparisons became okay to use in respectable society, but it's a serious black mark on our civilization if we're seriously going to condone it and make excuses for it.

The simple fact of the matter is that no matter how much anyone here may irrationally hate conservatives, they are not the "American Taliban" or the Nazi Party in waiting, any more than the Democrats are the love children of Stalin and Mao deliberately trying to destroy America.

Of course, but he's not calling Republicans Nazi's. He's saying Trumps overt nationalism is reminiscent of the Nazi effort to rid Germany of Jews.

Howey
08-25-2015, 05:34 PM

Peter1469, what's happened to you? What's caused what appears to be your drastic turn towards the fringe over the past few years?

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Of course, but he's not calling Republicans Nazi's. He's saying Trumps overt nationalism is reminiscent of the Nazi effort to rid Germany of Jews.

No, he's pretty explicitly saying that conservatives are "repeating history," the history of Nazi Germany. He explicitly said he was waiting for the "conservative Kristallnacht."

Come on, man.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 05:37 PM
No, he's pretty explicitly saying that conservatives are "repeating history," the history of Nazi Germany. He explicitly said he was waiting for the "conservative Kristallnacht."

Come on, man.

Again, I interpreted it as hyperbole.

He actually said "Conservative version of Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht)".

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Again, I interpreted it as hyperbole.

He actually said "Conservative version of Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht)".

I think if he had been Mac-7 and said all of that about liberals, you wouldn't be spinning it so hard to justify it, but whatever. I think it means what it clearly indicates. If you don't, fine by me.

whatukno
08-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Don't care if you think so.

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Mac, you have to be my favorite broken toy on this forum. You're so wrong about absolutely everything you post, it's almost sad to debate you.

I know that your right wing media bubble tells you that Obama is the worst thing ever to happen anywhere, in all of human history, but it's simply not true. I could go into detail how wrong you are. Like that the Iran deal was signed by our closest allies, that it really will work, and even if it doesn't we can still bomb Iran into dust like y'all want.

I could go into detail about how Israel breaks treaty after treaty, illegally occupies land that isn't theirs to begin with, and how most Arab countries don't actually hate Israel, just want them to stop being dickheads to the Palestinians who had that land legally first.

I could point out that Obama as soft on Terrorists as you claim, took out the number one terrorist jerk in the world using good old fashioned reliable intelligence. And keeps killing terrorists because he's a bad ass terrorist killing $#@!.

But like I said in the beginning, your a broken toy, and your sealed in your right wing conservative media bubble. It wouldn't help. But if it makes you feel better, you are my favorite broken toy on this forum.

See, the left also supports Israel's right to exist, but it's not blind support. They were given land via treaty, and should have stuck with it, but instead, they bully their neighbors, and cause suffering to the Palestinians, doing evil things, doesn't make you a good guy. Using white phosphorous on civilian targets doesn't make you a good guy. We liberals have Israel's back, but it's just not with blinders on.

"Like that the Iran deal was signed by our closest allies,"

Russia and china are enemies not allies.

Russia wants to sell weapons and china wants to tie up the oil for its own needs.

Yes the French and British are allies but they also have commercial ambitions in Iran.

and in the end they are junior partners to the US.

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Don't care if you think so.

Good for you.

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 06:18 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10), what's happened to you? What's caused what appears to be your drastic turn towards the fringe over the past few years?

I found out that the Establishment is 100% bought, paid for, corrupt and against you and me.

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Trump is dominating the 6pm news hour.

His press conference was covered by all the cable news networks and msnbc says they are going to broadcast his speech tonight also.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Trump is dominating the 6pm news hour.

His press conference was covered by all the cable news networks and msnbc says they are going to broadcast his speech tonight also.

Yeah, well terrorist attacks and school shootings tend to also dominate the news cycle, so...

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Yeah, well terrorist attacks and school shootings tend to also dominate the news cycle, so...

Jeb is the designated nominee of the republican establishment and he can't draw flies.

Safety
08-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Jeb is the designated nominee of the republican establishment and he can't draw flies.

Trump has his mouth open?

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 06:41 PM

You're right, shit does draw more flies.

Trump gets attention because he's a clown. Do you honestly think the media is watching for his brilliant and insightful ideas?

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Trump has his mouth open?

Thats true.

Trump is speaking in Iowa and MSNBC is televising it.

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Yep, Trump's dominating the news cycle. Me, I'm studying this week's Torah portion over a cup of tea and an occasional check of the auction hall on World of Warcraft.

Trump hasn't built a high rise in my head yet.

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM
nerd....

;)

Green Arrow
08-25-2015, 07:04 PM
nerd....

;)

Proudly. Figurines of Davy Jones, Thor, a clone trooper from Star Wars, Aragorn, and a foam chicken I got from work guard my desk.

kilgram
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM

What is the difference? except in name?

Both are the same shit.

And from dictionary definitions or from people that affirm that they are different I've been unable to see difference.

And, I laugh also of the usual "nationalism/patriotism" that display politicians. This "patriotism" is basically to the money that the friend corporations will give to them. Nothing else :)

Howey
08-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Yep, Trump's dominating the news cycle. Me, I'm studying this week's Torah portion over a cup of tea and an occasional check of the auction hall on World of Warcraft.

Trump hasn't built a high rise in my head yet.

Oy. Good luck!

Common Sense
08-25-2015, 07:33 PM
What is the difference? except in name?

Both are shit.

Patriotism is simply pride and love in and for your nation. Nationalism asserts that a nation and its citizens are better than other nations and seeks to unify a nation under a common cultural heritage (of varying degrees). Nationalism is also quite often militant, while patriotism is benign.

Mac-7
08-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Patriotism is simply pride and love in and for your nation. Nationalism asserts that a nation and its citizens are better than other nations and seeks to unify a nation under a common cultural heritage (of varying degrees). Nationalism is also quite often militant, while patriotism is benign.

Trump is a patriot but he made it plain he's not proud of America being the biggest debtor nation in history.

Liberals have pride that the losing children's soccer team feels when they get a participation trophy.

Trump is a nationalist who wants America to be the best and a winner.

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Nationalism is still the norm in the world. Witness the Olympics. That is the celebration of nationalism.

exotix
08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Nationalism ?

The last time that was a decree were the Nuremberg Laws ... directed at Jews because they had no sense of nationalism.

Tahuyaman
08-25-2015, 10:06 PM

just when I think you can't make a more ignorant comment, you throw out a gem like that.

then of course your ignorance is supported by more ignorance.....

Nationalism ?

The last time that was a decree were the Nuremberg Laws ... directed at Jews because they had no sense of nationalism.

exotix
08-25-2015, 10:16 PM
just when I think you can't make a more ignorant comment, you throw out a gem like that.

then of course your ignorance is supported by more ignorance.....Let's be fair ... which one is a nationalist and/or anti-nationalist ?

After Obama's anti-nationalism, Trumps call for nationalism is appealing to many.

http://newshour-tc.pbs.org/newshour/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Dylan-Roof-with-Flag_Full-Screen.jpg

http://vsw.org/afterimage/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bacon_Portfolio_6.jpg

Tahuyaman
08-25-2015, 10:20 PM
And then you swerve off into the realm of extreme ignorance.

exotix
08-25-2015, 10:29 PM
And then you swerve off into the realm of extreme ignorance.I was just curious ... you see, the OP has relied on WND who is asking if Trump is calling for a New Nationalism or New Patriotism.

I find this odd ... you see, New Nationalism was coined by Teddy Roosevelt in a speech way back in 1910 ... where the central issue was human welfare and property rights ... where human welfare was more important than property rights ... and where only a powerful federal govt. could regulate the economy and guarantee social justice.

Very Progressive philosophy.

WND in their ignorance should have called it *neo-nationalism* and *neo-patriotism* ... then we would know who or what it is we need to sieg heil.

LOL

kilgram
08-26-2015, 01:46 AM
Just they are degrees of the same sickness. No real difference.

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Nationalism is what we see at every Olympic event. No violence.

Common Sense
08-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Just they are degrees of the same sickness. No real difference.

There's actually a huge difference.

Safety
08-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Nationalism is still the norm in the world. Witness the Olympics. That is the celebration of nationalism.

It'll never work here, at least not any time soon. If this microcosm of the country (the forum) is any indication, based strictly off of comments made here, nationalism will not work due to the divisiveness of people based on race. A homogenous country can have nationalism because angst or disdain would be based strictly on one's actions and not over something they had no control over. People who feel that they won't be given the benefit of doubt because of how they look will not have a sense of inclusion or acceptance.

Like in a thread where some thug stole a lady's purse, one comment was:
"and people still wonder why white folks are afraid of blacks."

It's a hoop dream.

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 08:15 AM
It'll never work here, at least not any time soon. If this microcosm of the country (the forum) is any indication, based strictly off of comments made here, nationalism will not work due to the divisiveness of people based on race. A homogenous country can have nationalism because angst or disdain would be based strictly on one's actions and not over something they had no control over. People who feel that they won't be given the benefit of doubt because of how they look will not have a sense of inclusion or acceptance.

Or obumer falsely blaming white racism when a black thug gets shot by a white cop.

But obumer at least CLAIMS to love America even if he obviously hates half the white people in America.

So maybe race does not have to divide us beyond the waters edge.

Safety
08-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Or obumer falsely blaming white racism when a black thug gets shot by a white cop.

But obumer at least CLAIMS to love America even if he obviously hates half the white people in America.

So maybe race does not have to divide us beyond the waters edge.

Maybe he is just "indifferent" to their culture, you know, like how that culture is "indifferent" to others?

Tahuyaman
08-26-2015, 08:57 AM
I was just curious ... you see, the OP has relied on WND who is asking if Trump is calling for a New Nationalism or New Patriotism.

I find this odd ... you see, New Nationalism was coined by Teddy Roosevelt in a speech way back in 1910 ... where the central issue was human welfare and property rights ... where human welfare was more important than property rights ... and where only a powerful federal govt. could regulate the economy and guarantee social justice.

Very Progressive philosophy.c

WND in their ignorance should have called it *neo-nationalism* and *neo-patriotism* ... then we would know who or what it is we need to sieg heil.

LOL

you sure have an affinity for parsing words, or splitting hairs.

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Maybe he is just "indifferent" to their culture, you know, like how that culture is "indifferent" to others?

Thats why he's not their president.

Just the lazy half kenyan occupier in chief of the Oval Office.

Safety
08-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Right. Cause that's what the Constitution says.

LoL.

Howey
08-26-2015, 09:52 AM

I'm sooooo glad you represent the right of this forum!

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm sooooo glad you represent the right of this forum!

But I don't.

Unlike liberals conservatives think for themselves.

I only represent me.

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 02:59 PM

It's a hoop dream.

And yet, most Americans cheer for the American athletes during the Olympics. That is an expression of nationalism.

whatukno
08-26-2015, 03:01 PM
And yet, most Americans cheer for the American athletes during the Olympics. That is an expression of nationalism.

Not really, that's more of cheering for the home team than nationalism. It's like saying someone from New York cheering for the Yankees is a nationalist. It just doesn't make sense.

Patriotism is fine, when it turns to nationalism, that's where the danger begins.

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Not really, that's more of cheering for the home team than nationalism. It's like saying someone from New York cheering for the Yankees is a nationalist. It just doesn't make sense.

Patriotism is fine, when it turns to nationalism, that's where the danger begins.

Disagree.

Common Sense
08-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Patriotism.

Tahuyaman
08-26-2015, 06:06 PM

I would tend to agree that Obama is indifferent to American culture. He, like other liberals don't even believe there is such a thing as an American culture.

Safety
08-26-2015, 06:07 PM
I would tend to agree that Obama is indifferent to American culture. He, like other liberals don't even believe there is such a thing as an American culture.

Define it.

del
08-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Define it.

'murica

Tahuyaman
08-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Define it.

See what I mean? There are people out there who have no idea American culture actually exists.

I knew new safety was one of those people when I posted the comment.

Tahuyaman
08-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Define it.

its not really that difficult.

try starting here and then look for other explanations.

http://www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa/way-of-life/american-culture/

Independence. Americans strongly believe in the concept of individualism. They consider themselves to be separate individuals who are in control of their own lives, rather than members of a close-knit, interdependent family, religious group, tribe, nation, or other group.
Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in their cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.
Informality. This belief in equality causes Americans to be rather informal in their behavior towards other people. Don’t be surprised if store clerks and waiters introduce themselves by their first names. Many people visiting the US are surprised by the informality of American speech, dress, and posture. Don’t mistake this for rudeness or irreverence; it’s just a part of their culture!
Directness. Americans tend to value, frankness and openness in their dealings with other people. They believe that conflicts and disagreements are best solved by means of forthright discussion among the people involved. Americans believe that if someone has a problem with someone else, they should tell the person clearly and directly in order to come up with a solution to the problem.

Safety
08-26-2015, 06:53 PM
its not really that difficult.

try starting here and then look for other explanations.

http://www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa/way-of-life/american-culture/

Independence. Americans strongly believe in the concept of individualism. They consider themselves to be separate individuals who are in control of their own lives, rather than members of a close-knit, interdependent family, religious group, tribe, nation, or other group.
Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in their cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.
Informality. This belief in equality causes Americans to be rather informal in their behavior towards other people. Don’t be surprised if store clerks and waiters introduce themselves by their first names. Many people visiting the US are surprised by the informality of American speech, dress, and posture. Don’t mistake this for rudeness or irreverence; it’s just a part of their culture!
Directness. Americans tend to value, frankness and openness in their dealings with other people. They believe that conflicts and disagreements are best solved by means of forthright discussion among the people involved. Americans believe that if someone has a problem with someone else, they should tell the person clearly and directly in order to come up with a solution to the problem.

Well, I was hoping you would explain it in your own words what you thought American culture was. I know what google says.

So, by the definitions you posted, pointing to the equality tab, that would mean American culture didn't start until after 1965?

Mister D
08-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Well, I was hoping you would explain it in your own words what you thought American culture was. I know what google says.

So, by the definitions you posted, pointing to the equality tab, that would mean American culture didn't start until after 1965?

More likely, blacks weren't considered Americans per se at least in the south. Safety, you don't believe there is such a ting as an American culture?

Safety
08-26-2015, 07:51 PM
More likely, blacks weren't considered Americans per se at least in the south. Safety, you don't believe there is such a ting as an American culture?

That was exactly my point to my response to Tah. He talks about American culture and what it is via Google, but doesn't seem to understand that there are different "American cultures" depending on the geographical area you live in. Not discounting the fact that for some, admittance into the American culture was not allowed until 1965.

Mister D
08-26-2015, 07:54 PM
That was exactly my point to my response to Tah. He talks about American culture and what it is via Google, but doesn't seem to understand that there are different "American cultures" depending on the geographical area you live in. Not discounting the fact that for some, admittance into the American culture was not allowed until 1965.

Whether southern whites considered blacks Americans is irrelevant. Clearly they were and are. What else could they be? Africans? Anyway, I agree about the existence of various subcultures but you don't think there is an overarching general American culture?

Safety
08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Whether southern whites considered blacks Americans is irrelevant. Clearly they were and are. What else could they be? Africans? Anyway, I agree about the existence of various subcultures but you don't think there is an overarching general American culture?

I think it's very relevant. It leads to where we are today in terms of calling out bad behavior and listening to the constant whining about the "black culture". We've spoken about this previously where I stated that feeling accepted and included is a basis for forming trust. If people don't trust you, how do you expect them to listen to you? Like it or not, blacks, hispanics, whites, asians and Indians are not going anywhere, no one is getting sent out of the country to their "homeland" because this is home, so the quicker we can learn to get along, the better we will be as a country.

Mister D
08-26-2015, 08:08 PM
I think it's very relevant. It leads to where we are today in terms of calling out bad behavior and listening to the constant whining about the "black culture". We've spoken about this previously where I stated that feeling accepted and included is a basis for forming trust. If people don't trust you, how do you expect them to listen to you? Like it or not, blacks, hispanics, whites, asians and Indians are not going anywhere, no one is getting sent out of the country to their "homeland" because this is home, so the quicker we can learn to get along, the better we will be as a country.

That's all well and good but how is it relevant to the existence, or lack thereof, of a general American culture? That's all I asked. Does such a culture exist, IYO, or not?

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Black people are the sum of their culture.

asians have a successful culture and black people do not.

whatukno
08-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Black people are the sum of their culture.

asians have a successful culture and black people do not.

Wow man, just wow. I thought it was supposed to be American culture? As in, the great melting pot?

Cigar
08-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Wow man, just wow. I thought it was supposed to be American culture? As in, the great melting pot?

Look, you have to understand their anxiety ... they have to blame someone. :laugh:

When you're on your way down, you'll meet all types of people you've stepped on in life. :grin:

Just pat them on the head and say tilt your head back, you won't feel a thing.

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 08:37 PM

America was once a melting pot.

but now its a smorgasbord of different languages and cultures.

Mac-7
08-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Look, you have to understand their anxiety ... they have to blame someone. :laugh:

When you're on your way down, you'll meet all types of people you've stepped on in life. :grin:

Just pat them on the head and say tilt your head back, you won't feel a thing.

Blame someone?

Blacks are burning down their own neighborhoods out of anger at someone.

whatukno
08-26-2015, 08:40 PM
America was once a melting pot.

but now its a smorgasbord of different languages and cultures.

Point missed: Mac

:Doh!:

Mister D
08-26-2015, 08:41 PM
America assimilates everyone quite successfully into a community with a materialistic set of values. Don't underestimate the power of American culture in that regard.

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 08:48 PM
We turn Muslims into chain smoking, MJ toke'in lesbians! That is cultural power!

Some of my best friends in Old Town Fairfax!

No wonder bin Laden had the ass. :shocked:

Mister D
08-26-2015, 08:52 PM
We turn Muslims into chain smoking, MJ toke'in lesbians! That is cultural power!

Some of my best friends in Old Town Fairfax!

No wonder bin Laden had the ass. :shocked:

I think American conservatives are terribly confused on this point. They think American culture is declining only because they don't quite understand what that culture is. Quite frankly, I don't think it's ever been as powerful and all encompassing as it is now. Mind you, I say that with a certain dread.

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 08:53 PM
I think American conservatives are terribly confused on this point. They think American culture is declining only because they don't quite understand what that culture is. Quite frankly, I don't think it's ever been as powerful and all encompassing as it is now. Mind you, I say that with a certain dread.

I understand your position. :wink:

I like the ..., uncertainty as to decorum.... :smiley:

Tahuyaman
08-26-2015, 11:32 PM

I knew you wouldn't get it.

Ivan88
08-28-2015, 03:01 AM
How can he protect America as a nation when he views America as sacrificial heffer for Israeli protection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaOhQHZTMUk

donttread
08-28-2015, 04:42 AM
The problem with nationalism is that the power players use it to get us to kill and die for their pocket books

AeonPax
08-28-2015, 05:04 AM
The problem with nationalism is that the power players use it to get us to kill and doe for their pocket books
`
`
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - Albert Einstein

Peter1469
08-28-2015, 05:14 AM
Nationalism is a fact of life and likely isn't going away anytime soon. Perhaps people should learn what the word means and stop fearing it.

donttread
08-28-2015, 05:16 AM
`
`
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - Albert Einstein

I think it has it's place if not abused.

AeonPax
08-28-2015, 05:56 AM
I think it has it's place if not abused.
`
I love my country however, I do not trust it's government nor those who control the government. I do not subscribe to "my country, right or wrong."

donttread
08-28-2015, 06:14 AM
`
I love my country however, I do not trust it's government nor those who control the government. I do not subscribe to "my country, right or wrong."

Totally agree. In fact I have a bumper sticker that sums it up. "I love my country, it's the government I don't trust"

Common
08-28-2015, 06:21 AM
America needs some nationalism, this global everything has demolished the countries core, the middleclass. Most every other country practices nationalism and protectionism of their own. In america thats a dirty filthy word to the Corporate pigs that dont give a damn about america or americans and Profit is their only GOD.

The rich have run to china milked cheap labor, put americans out of work made cheap crap from china and then had our politicians make it so they can bring all that chinese crap back into their biggest sales market for FREE. Whos kidding who here ? our trade deficits are huge because our corporate pigdom wants it that way. The rape of america and its citizens by a few rich and powerful needs to stop.

zelmo1234
08-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Trump is a self-aggrandizing buffoon. He won't "make America great again". He won't send all illegals home. He won't have Mexico pay for any wall.

A couple other "won't"s. He won't be the R nominee and he won't be President. How any fool buys into his simplistic bull$#@! is astounding.

Sounds just like all of the other lying politicians to me? The more I see the people that hate him, the more I am starting to like him.

After all by the time the next president takes office we with have had nearly ten years of a flat economy million more illegals taking jobs from American and the country will be nearly 20 trillion in debt?

Can he really hurt anything?

donttread
08-28-2015, 12:31 PM
America needs some nationalism, this global everything has demolished the countries core, the middleclass. Most every other country practices nationalism and protectionism of their own. In america thats a dirty filthy word to the Corporate pigs that dont give a damn about america or americans and Profit is their only GOD.

The rich have run to china milked cheap labor, put americans out of work made cheap crap from china and then had our politicians make it so they can bring all that chinese crap back into their biggest sales market for FREE. Whos kidding who here ? our trade deficits are huge because our corporate pigdom wants it that way. The rape of america and its citizens by a few rich and powerful needs to stop.

Simple plan to bring manufacturing back here.
1) Tariffs to a point where low wages are an issue or where the other country tariffs our goods. We cannot go hog wold though, remember how the auto and steel industries self destructed in the 70's?
2) End corporate income tax, it's just mental masturbation that the customers pay for anyway. Change to a consumption tax so that goods sold here are taxed here regardless of where they are made.

Common
08-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Simple plan to bring manufacturing back here.
1) Tariffs to a point where low wages are an issue or where the other country tariffs our goods. We cannot go hog wold though, remember how the auto and steel industries self destructed in the 70's?
2) End corporate income tax, it's just mental masturbation that the customers pay for anyway. Change to a consumption tax so that goods sold here are taxed here regardless of where they are made.

We need parallel import taxs at the rates we are charged by everyone else. This outsourcing middleclass america and bring the garbage goods back here free must stop.

Im tired of the conservative tripe about corporate everything. They are making billions while americans suffer. AMERICANS need a break not corporations

donttread
08-28-2015, 12:38 PM
We need parallel import taxs at the rates we are charged by everyone else. This outsourcing middleclass america and bring the garbage goods back here free must stop.

Im tired of the conservative tripe about corporate everything. They are making billions while americans suffer. AMERICANS need a break not corporations

But it's not just the tarrifs, cheap labor tends to be less efficient. It's corporate income taxes

Mac-7
08-29-2015, 03:35 PM
If not nationalism - defined as putting the interests of your country ahead of others - then what?

having your country be a sap for the test of the world?

No thanks

donttread
08-29-2015, 06:33 PM
If not nationalism - defined as putting the interests of your country ahead of others - then what?

having your country be a sap for the test of the world?

No thanks

Did you ever see the movie "Man of the Year" where one of the politicians favorite line was "God bless America and no where else"? That's too much nationalism

Mac-7
08-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Did you ever see the movie "Man of the Year" where one of the politicians favorite line was "God bless America and no where else"? That's too much nationalism

I didn't see the movie and thank God I don't let Hollywood do my thinking for me.

donttread
08-30-2015, 07:36 AM
I didn't see the movie and thank God I don't let Hollywood do my thinking for me.

Then you disagree with Robin Williams famous line from the movie that politicians should wear sponsorship patches like NASCAR drivers? Cause I think we should make that one law!

Mac-7
08-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Then you disagree with Robin Williams famous line from the movie that politicians should wear sponsorship patches like NASCAR drivers? Cause I think we should make that one law!

Robin Williams?

The Hollywierdo who was so loony tunes that he hung himself?

Ivan88
08-30-2015, 10:54 PM

Ivan88
08-31-2015, 12:12 AM
If he gets in, will we have to pay him to leave?

Dr. Who
08-31-2015, 01:50 AM
Disagree.
A patriotic person tends to tolerate criticism and tries to learn something new from it, but a nationalist cannot tolerate any criticism and considers it an insult.

Read more: Difference Between Nationalism and Patriotism | Difference Between | Nationalism vs Patriotism http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-nationalism-and-patriotism/#ixzz3kN92MdG1

Supporting Olympic teams is patriotic, not nationalistic. Nationalism assumes one's country's superiority no matter what. It also involves a shared culture and heritage. In a country comprised of immigrants, that is not really possible on a grand scale. It is only possible for the people in America who feel that they are the core of the country based on early immigration and that shared history. All of the other ethnicities and races are out of scope in that respect.

Dr. Who
08-31-2015, 02:01 AM
Robin Williams?

Suffering from depression is not being loony tunes or a weirdo. What an unfortunate thing to say about a problem that affects so many people. Williams was an incredible comedian and actor and the industry is much poorer for his loss. He had developed Parkinsons, which would have a significant affect on a comedian as physical as he was. I suspect that he could not deal with the deterioration that was going to take place.

donttread
08-31-2015, 05:57 AM
Robin Williams?

Robin Williams was a brilliant man and comic and your response was low even for you. The fact remains you didn't answer . What about sponsorship decals for congress?

Mac-7
08-31-2015, 06:06 AM
Robin Williams was a brilliant man and comic and your response was low even for you. The fact remains you didn't answer . What about sponsorship decals for congress?

I think my response to a script written in Hollywood and delivered by an actor who in real life killed himself was generous.

Mac-7
08-31-2015, 06:09 AM
Suffering from depression is not being loony tunes or a weirdo.

What an unfortunate thing to say about a problem that affects so many people. Williams was an incredible comedian and actor and the industry is much poorer for his loss. He had developed Parkinsons, which would have a significant affect on a comedian as physical as he was. I suspect that he could not deal with the deterioration that was going to take place.

Hanging yourself is pretty abnormal behavior even for a Hollywood liberal like robin Williams.

if the left does not like to hear unflattering remarks about their hero don't drag him into discussions of serious public issues.

Mac-7
08-31-2015, 06:12 AM
A patriotic person tends to tolerate criticism and tries to learn something new from it, but a nationalist cannot tolerate any criticism and considers it an insult.

Read more: Difference Between Nationalism and Patriotism | Difference Between | Nationalism vs Patriotism http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-nationalism-and-patriotism/#ixzz3kN92MdG1

Supporting Olympic teams is patriotic, not nationalistic. Nationalism assumes one's country's superiority no matter what. It also involves a shared culture and heritage. In a country comprised of immigrants, that is not really possible on a grand scale. It is only possible for the people in America who feel that they are the core of the country based on early immigration and that shared history. All of the other ethnicities and races are out of scope in that respect.

I think a patriotic person loves his country even when they don't get their way on every issue.

Liberals love America when it does what they want and hates America the rest of the time.

Peter1469
08-31-2015, 06:17 AM

I will continue to use the actual definition of nationalism when I defend the word. Not the bastardized version used to demonize it.

I suspect we agree in general once we understand the two different definitions. I however will not bow to political correctness.