PDA

View Full Version : How many days of holidays do you enjoy?

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I am curious, how many days do you take off the job, I mean for holidays during a year?

whatukno
08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Day, Off? What's that? Oh you must mean leaving an hour early one day a week right?

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Day, Off? What's that? Oh you must mean leaving an hour early one day a week right?
No, I mean days off :) Holidays :) You know, that thing. When you don't go to work during some days to stay with the family, travel to somewhere else... That normal things.

This poll comes from news that I've read in BBC World in Spanish about USA and the inexistent paid maternal leave. And it generated a discussion in the Spanish news site like Reddit about the holidays, and I got curious to know from you how many days you really enjoy. Because the image that we have is that you don't have any right in that way and you can be easily fired if you go in holidays.

whatukno
08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
No, I mean days off :) Holidays :) You know, that thing. When you don't go to work during some days to stay with the family, travel to somewhere else... That normal things.

This poll comes from news that I've read in BBC World in Spanish about USA and the inexistent paid maternal leave.

No, so, I guess, none?

Well, I got to go home at noon once a few months ago because I had bronchitis. Does that count?

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:30 PM
No, so, I guess, none?

Well, I got to go home at noon once a few months ago because I had bronchitis. Does that count?
No. That does not count.

whatukno
08-26-2015, 06:34 PM
No. That does not count.

Oh, well, then none I guess.

Can't take "day off" got to work, must work, always work. Money!

Common Sense
08-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Usually about two to three weeks. Plus some days off here and there.

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Usually about two to three weeks. Plus some days off here and there.
So 20-25 days. :)

Peter1469
08-26-2015, 06:43 PM
I get 8 hours of leave per pay period and then federal holidays on top of that.

Adelaide
08-26-2015, 06:45 PM
I had accumulated 20 days (4 weeks) at the five year mark at my previous job. At my current job I only get 10 days (2 weeks) but I get better benefits and the pay is better, so it seemed a good trade off. Then whatever national/provincial holidays there are - I either get them off or get paid time and a half.

jimmyz
08-26-2015, 06:45 PM
I leave sick and vacation days off on the table every year. And we have a "use them or lose them" policy at my company.

sachem
08-26-2015, 06:51 PM
It varies by employer/job. I get 6 weeks vacation. (30 days) Ten paid holidays and ten paid sick days. I have worked for my employer for over 25 years though and belong to a union.

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
I had accumulated 20 days (4 weeks) at the five year mark at my previous job. At my current job I only get 10 days (2 weeks) but I get better benefits and the pay is better, so it seemed a good trade off. Then whatever national/provincial holidays there are - I either get them off or get paid time and a half.
I didn't included national/provincial holidays.

If I add them in my case, I would have:

22 working days
10 Holiday banks: 1 January, 1 May, 24 June, 11th September, 25 September, 15 October, 6 and 8 of December and 25th of December.
4 days of leave for personal reasons.

kilgram
08-26-2015, 06:55 PM
I leave sick and vacation days off on the table every year. And we have a "use them or lose them" policy at my company.
That is the common policy in Spain, for example.

jimmyz
08-26-2015, 07:37 PM
It varies by employer/job. I get 6 weeks vacation. (30 days) Ten paid holidays and ten paid sick days. I have worked for my employer for over 25 years though and belong to a union.

Jebus!!!! sounds like my teamster UPS driver's perk.

jimmyz
08-26-2015, 07:39 PM
I didn't add my Federal holidays and one floating one. +8 days to my 16. = 24 total paid days off.

Dangermouse
08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
I read somewhere that a quarter of American employees get NO paid holiday/vacation time.

Here's a similar article. Things that make Europeans go Hmmmm?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2013/08/13/paid-time-off-forget-about-it-a-report-looks-at-how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries/

donttread
08-28-2015, 04:22 PM
I am curious, how many days do you take off the job, I mean for holidays during a year?

Are you using "Holiday in the American sense or the Canadian sense? I'm a sub contractor and get no specific Holidays. My contract is for 2,000 hours a year which leaves two weeks vacation. The rest I achieve because I cam pretty much set my own schedule

donttread
08-28-2015, 04:24 PM

I once left a job with nearly 6 months sick time in the bank. I would of loved a dime on a dollar for that.

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 05:39 PM
The poll should state "how close are you to governmental bankruptcy?"

kilgram
09-01-2015, 02:29 AM
Are you using "Holiday in the American sense or the Canadian sense? I'm a sub contractor and get no specific Holidays. My contract is for 2,000 hours a year which leaves two weeks vacation. The rest I achieve because I cam pretty much set my own schedule
What is the difference between American holidays and Canadian?

Enviat des del meu Aquaris E5 usant Tapatalk

sachem
09-01-2015, 03:08 AM

Enviat des del meu Aquaris E5 usant TapatalkI believe he is differentiating between the American use of holiday, which means celebration/remembrance of specific events such as Christmas, Memorial Day, etc. and the Canadian use of holiday to mean vacation (time off from work for rest, travel etc.) I'm not sure that Canadians use the terms that way anymore but the British do.

donttread
09-01-2015, 07:41 AM

Canadians tend to refer to vacations as "being on Holiday" where as Americans are more likely to separate the two

kilgram
09-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Canadians tend to refer to vacations as "being on Holiday" where as Americans are more likely to separate the two
Then in the British/Canadian style.

donttread
09-01-2015, 07:54 AM
I believe he is differentiating between the American use of holiday, which means celebration/remembrance of specific events such as Christmas, Memorial Day, etc. and the Canadian use of holiday to mean vacation (time off from work for rest, travel etc.) I'm not sure that Canadians use the terms that way anymore but the British do.

Exactly, eh?

Captain Obvious
09-01-2015, 08:11 AM
I get virtually unlimited vacation time actually but I really don't take many days off.

I'm a "leave at noon on Friday's" type.

sachem
09-01-2015, 12:01 PM
I get virtually unlimited vacation time actually but I really don't take many days off.

I'm a "leave at noon on Friday's" type.Assuming you show up in the first place.