hellraiser
09-04-2011, 11:54 AM
What is labor day my friends?

why do you celebrate?

I hope you have a happy one :)

Conley
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Good question HR.

The first big Labor Day in the United States was observed on September 5, 1882, by the Central Labor Union of New York.[1] It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland reconciled with the labor movement. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike.[2] The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would stir up negative emotions linked to the Haymarket Affair, which it had been observed to commemorate.[3] All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday.

I guess even back then Congress and the President would rush to close the barn door after the horses had already gotten out. Reactionary politicians instead of looking ahead and avoiding these problems in the first place. Anyhow, HR, you might this of it as similar to the International Workers' Day. You have a good one too.

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM

why do you celebrate?

Technically Labor Day isn't for a few hours yet Hellraiser, but I will go ahead and wish you a happy one anyway!

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:58 PM

why do you celebrate?

Technically Labor Day isn't for a few hours yet Hellraiser, but I will go ahead and wish you a happy one anyway!

Heya HR..... Labor Day is another Day that fat, over-weight, and lazy Americans use to get another day off Work for no Apparent reason. It is also another Day where US politicans don't have to do a damn thing but spend their money.

Conley
09-05-2011, 12:09 AM

why do you celebrate?

Heya HR..... Labor Day is another Day that fat, over-weight, and lazy Americans use to get another day off Work for no Apparent reason. It is also another Day where US politicans don't have to do a damn thing but spend their money.

Isn't that every day? ;D :'( :'(

MMC
09-05-2011, 12:15 AM

why do you celebrate?

Isn't that every day? ;D :'( :'(

Yep.....so why havent we gone to 4 day work weeks. 10 hrs a day 40 hrs a week? looks Like the Europeans moved in that direction. Albeit their work week isnt 40 hrs. More like 36. Plus I thought they wanted school to include Saturdays.

Conley
09-05-2011, 12:20 AM
They have a ton of vacation too...if you gave the US that many vacations we would be looking at the equivalent of a four day work week, and not ten hours either. We work our butts off here :-\

MMC
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
They have a ton of vacation too...if you gave the US that many vacations we would be looking at the equivalent of a four day work week, and not ten hours either. We work our butts off here :-\

Myself I would rather work a 4 day work week 10hrs a day.....than 5 or 6 days. Course my job is 7 days a week. Somebody seems to always get scrwed. :'(

Conley
09-05-2011, 09:05 AM
So Happy Labor Day everyone!

What are everyone's plans?

I think I might drag myself to the store to get ingredients for grilling..it rained here last night though, not sure what the forecast is today.

MMC
09-05-2011, 09:13 AM

I think I might drag myself to the store to get ingredients for grilling..it rained here last night though, not sure what the forecast is today.

Rained here too. Said lake effect. Going to be overcast and 70. We cooking out tho either way. But then it will be my usual schedule.

Conley
09-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Rained here too. Said lake effect. Going to be overcast and 70. We cooking out tho either way. But then it will be my usual schedule.

It is hard for me to grill without a beer in my hand, but I am going to try to do it. :-\

Conley
09-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Only one college football game too, Miami @ Maryland

Mister D
09-05-2011, 09:20 AM

It is hard for me to grill without a beer in my hand, but I am going to try to do it. :-\

I still have to get my grill. I'm making some chicken stew but it will be more like a soup in all probability.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Overcast here. My aunt was talking about the awful forecast but we were down the shore at the time so maybe she was just referring to their area.