PDA

View Full Version : Arizona cuts ties with private-prison operator over Kingman riot

Common
08-27-2015, 03:03 AM
Privatized govt services are failing and its the most prevalent in Prisons, states like fla, nj, and arizona and others have dumped their privatized bidded contractors and taking the prisons back over. WHY? Because whenever you add one word to anything "PROFIT" services and employee coverage and daily routine suffer to make MORE PROFIT. They are finding its much cheaper for the govt agencies to run them.

Gov. Doug Ducey announced Wednesday he's terminating the contract with the private-prison operator of a facility near Kingman in the wake of a July 2 riot that badly damaged the facility and injured 16 people.

Ducey based his decision on an investigative report that said Management and Training Corporation, operator of the facility in Golden Valley, had “a culture of disorganization, disengagement, and disregard of Arizona Department of Corrections polices and fundamental inmate management and security principles.”
The report also found:

MTC failed to conduct critical staff training that was required under its state contract, and hid the failures and deficiencies from DOC.
MTC did not “promptly and effectively quell the riots,” allowing them to last longer than they should have and resulting in more damage to facilities.
Inmates did not direct their anger at each other but at prison staff, and focused the destruction on MTC property, suggesting “that the riots were more likely precipitated by inmate dissatisfaction with MTC’s operation of the prison than by anger among the inmates themselves.”

More than a third of MTC performance problems identified five years ago, when the escape of three inmates resulted in a murderous rampage through several states, were again identified in this summer’s investigation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/08/26/arizona-kingman-riot-cause-corrections-department-report/32432963/

AeonPax
08-27-2015, 03:27 AM
`
`
Don't worry for-profit prison masters, Hillary's got you covered; Private Prison Lobbyists Are Top Fundraisers for Hillary Clinton (http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/private_prison_lobbyists_are_fundraising_for_hilla ry_clinton_20150724).

donttread
08-27-2015, 03:51 AM
End prohibition, close prisons, leave people with employable records, defund the gangs and cartels. Naw, that lakes too much sense for the government to actually do.

Common
08-27-2015, 03:57 AM
End prohibition, close prisons, leave people with employable records, defund the gangs and cartels. Naw, that lakes too much sense for the government to actually do.

insanity

Common
08-27-2015, 03:57 AM
`
`
Don't worry for-profit prison masters, Hillary's got you covered; Private Prison Lobbyists Are Top Fundraisers for Hillary Clinton (http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/private_prison_lobbyists_are_fundraising_for_hilla ry_clinton_20150724).

ugh

Cthulhu
08-27-2015, 04:32 AM
Correct.

insanity

^^^Was employed by government.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

donttread
08-27-2015, 04:34 AM
insanity

Correct, not ending prohibition and pursing the deadly failed war on drugs is in fact insanity

Peter1469
08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
I would have to see the statements of work and the money on the contract. Typically, society is not paying for a real full service prison whether it is private or public operated.

donttread
08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
Correct.

^^^Was employed by government.

Just sayin'.

Ni , but try getting a job with a heroin bust on your record

Cthulhu
08-27-2015, 04:37 AM
I am in your camp here, prohibition has massively failed and has done nothing but enable gang activities.

AeonPax
08-27-2015, 05:00 AM
`
`
For-profit prison corporations are lobbying heavily against reform of both drug and immigration laws. The more people in prison, the higher profit they make - source (https://www.copblock.org/137367/victims-private-prisons-corrupt-politicians/)

Peter1469
08-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Two issues in my mind.

Lobbying- regulate it and make it 100% transparent.

Running prisons, whether public or private depends for the most part on the resources used. If you are only going to spend money to warehouse prisoners that is all you are going to get.

The profit margin is a red herring. If a contract is properly administered, a profit margin creates value added / innovation. Government run operations tend to be stale and apathetic.

nic34
08-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Operators of a private prison where inmates rioted last month disregarded “fundamental inmate management and security principles” and failed to properly train the staff, according to a report released Wednesday.

Or put another way, the riot was the result of lousy management and/or too many corners cut by prison operators who are in the business to make a profit.

Raise your hand if you’re surprised to learn that a private prison operator would forgo fundamental rules designed to ensure public safety in order to score a bigger profit.

Anyone?

Apparently Gov. Doug Ducey is, because he announced Wednesday that he’s ending the state’s contract with Management and Training Corporation, which operated the private prison near Kingman.

A deeper look into what else may be hidden in private prisons from the prying eyes of overseers at the Arizona Department of Corrections.

It’s worth noting that the DOC investigation into the Kingman prison found many of the same deficiencies identified in 2010, after two murderers and an attempted murderer escaped and killed two people. (This, after an inmate's girlfriend tossed bolt cutters and pliers over a chain-link fence.)

One wonders how prison operators got away with business as usual for five years, if somebody from the state was actually watching.

One wonders how prison operators got away with business as usual for five years, if somebody from the state was actually watching.

Private prisons are a sacred cow at the state Capitol. Well-connected industry lobbyists spread around campaign cash to ensure that their interests are paramount and their prisons are full -- or if not, that they're paid as if they were anyway.

Curiously, we have no idea whether we’re getting any real bang for our buck.

For years, DOC studies showed it cost more to incarcerate inmates in privately run medium security prisons than in similar state-run prisons. So in 2012, our leaders took the only logical path open to them.

They outlawed future cost-comparison studies, claiming they were bogus.

Meanwhile, the state is preparing to move forward with another $200 million private prison this fall.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2015/08/26/roberts-private-prison-cut-corners-m-so-shocked/32441279/

Common
08-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Dont do friggin do heroin and anyone that has done heroin their employer has a right to know because most ALWAYS go back. This dumb Rand Paul and Ron Paul legalize all drugs is what the insanity is.

The Xl
08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Dont do friggin do heroin and anyone that has done heroin their employer has a right to know because most ALWAYS go back. This dumb Rand Paul and Ron Paul legalize all drugs is what the insanity is.

The drug war has caused far more pain and is more insane than legalizing drugs. You create a market and for otherwise unskilled gang bangers by keeping these drugs illegal, it's how the fund and arm themselves.

The sad reality of it is, the drug war exists to subsidize multiple industries, including law enforcement. That's a reason why it still exists.

Ethereal
08-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Do employers have the right to know who has consumed alcohol, too? Do you want to criminalize alcohol? Or just certain "bad" drugs?

Mini Me
08-27-2015, 10:55 PM
I would have to see the statements of work and the money on the contract. Typically, society is not paying for a real full service prison whether it is private or public operated.

"If you want to know the intent, just look at the results!"

FAILURE!

donttread
08-28-2015, 04:04 AM
I am in your camp here, prohibition has massively failed and has done nothing but enable gang activities.

Only government can pursue failed, destructive policy for so long .

donttread
08-28-2015, 04:08 AM

Common, you disappoint me on this topic . You have a right to whatever opinion you wish but your "Don't do freakin heroin" is a little too Nancy Regan . Did you know that most, perhaps as many as 80% of heroin users climbed the ladder from prescription opiates ?

Common
08-28-2015, 06:15 AM
The drug war has caused far more pain and is more insane than legalizing drugs. You create a market and for otherwise unskilled gang bangers by keeping these drugs illegal, it's how the fund and arm themselves.

The sad reality of it is, the drug war exists to subsidize multiple industries, including law enforcement. That's a reason why it still exists.

I absolutely disagree. Forget the term war on drugs thats a term for sending troops into columbia.

Talk in terms of enforcement of drug use which saves lives. To let the people that want all drugs to be legalized have their way means anyone can use any drug grown or manufactured at will with no impunity. PURE idiotic insanity that will cost more innocent peoples lives.

Legal or NOT people must have the means to "pay" for drugs, legal drugs are more accessible and cost more.

All drugs are psychotropics and have varying degrees from weed to LCD. Just what america needs millions more redneck meth producers and city crack makers and everyone being able to buy them at will.

Ive found its mostly cop haters that always want free drugs for everyone. The people that seems to believe they are above any other authority and have a right to do whatever you what. I got news for you YOU DO NOT because there are other humans on this planet that have the right not to have you have the right to be driving and running around the street whacked the F out 24/7

I could go much deeper into this and why its pure lunacy to legalize the use of all drugs but what for? no purpose the ones that want it legalized will still spew the same thing and think in the same "narrow terms" without acknowledging or acceping the wider implications on society.

I know civilians HATE to hear this but it is what it is. Cops see the real deal day in and day out, the see the results of drug use in real time many times a shift. The fully understand the reality and impact of giving all these screwed up people a pass and let them use them at will.

Want to make changes? of course, want to change some penalites ? Sure. Want to tweak the entire justice system means of sentencing those found guilty of drug use ? absolutely. Make it completely legal? Assinine, dangerous and will cost more lives.

There are countless drug users themselves saved by being "ARRESTED" for drug use, along with their possible victims on the road and in the street, by being ordered into rehab by the courts in lieu of jailtime. Some of that actually works. The are drug programs in every prision and there are success more than most of you would think.

Adelaide
08-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Duplicate threads merged.

domer76
08-28-2015, 09:22 AM
They did the same in Idaho after major lawsuits. I believe the state paid out major bucks and many suits are still pending. Some inmates referred to the place as "Gladiator School".

Yeah, the private sector always does things better than government.