PDA

View Full Version : Ban cars and or high speed limits

donttread
08-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Each year 37,000 Americans die in car crashes with nearly 2 and 1/2 million , or almost 1% of us being injured in car crashes . We must institute back ground checks, ban sports cars , institute a no tolerance drink and drive policy and drop all speed limits 15 MPH. If you control freaks really want to save lives this would save more lives , injuries and dollars than all the gun control in the world.

del
08-28-2015, 05:39 PM
zzzzzzz

Common Sense
08-28-2015, 05:43 PM
No, let's just get rid of all the existing regulations (licenses, safety measures, signage, speed limits). Everything should just work itself out.

del
08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
they should give people a gun when they buy a car

then if someone does something you don't like, shoot their ass

Cigar
08-28-2015, 06:37 PM
:rollseyes:

whatukno
08-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Each year 37,000 Americans die in car crashes with nearly 2 and 1/2 million , or almost 1% of us being injured in car crashes . We must institute back ground checks, ban sports cars , institute a no tolerance drink and drive policy and drop all speed limits 15 MPH. If you control freaks really want to save lives this would save more lives , injuries and dollars than all the gun control in the world.

Oh come on! Reality check!

Chloe
08-28-2015, 06:50 PM

truth be told, the country, and the world really, would be a better, safer, and cleaner place with less automobiles in my opinion.

Tahuyaman
08-28-2015, 07:14 PM
We tried the 55 MPH speed limit once because liberals demanded it. It was dumb then and it's a dumb idea now.

Tahuyaman
08-28-2015, 07:15 PM
truth be told, the country, and the world really, would be a better, safer, and cleaner place with less automobiles in my opinion.

You are free to ride a bike, walk or ride the bus. No one is forcing you to buy a car.

Chloe
08-28-2015, 07:26 PM
You are free to ride a bike, walk or ride the bus. No one is forcing you to buy a car.

I rode my bike throughout college and still do for the most part unless I need to drive. I'm not saying that cars are not necessary sometimes, I'm just saying that there are too many in my opinion and I think a lot of things would improve if we relied less on them. I think dense cities should also try and reconfigure their infrastructure to emphasize bikes and walking more than the automobile.

Mac-7
08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
More people die in auto accidents than from firearms

Howey
08-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Tired meme. It's time the NRA did better.

domer76
08-28-2015, 07:33 PM
More people die in auto accidents than from firearms

Please spare us the idiotic attempt at the comparison. We've seen it ad nauseum. It was just as absurd the first time as it was the millionth.

Mac-7
08-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Please spare us the idiotic attempt at the comparison. We've seen it ad nauseum. It was just as absurd the first time as it was the millionth.

The fact remains that cars kill more people than guns.

donttread
08-28-2015, 07:37 PM

So it's the control not the guns you're really worried about. A mere 10-15 MPH reduction in speed limits would save thousands of lives. If saving lives is what you really care about you'd support that

Common Sense
08-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Could be a good comparison if cars were designed to kill people.

Howey
08-28-2015, 07:53 PM
There's only one thing designed from the start to kill. It ain't my Audi.

Howey
08-28-2015, 07:55 PM
If only guns had all the safety gear cars had...

Common Sense
08-28-2015, 08:03 PM
If we really want to take this comparison further, we can

With a spike in deaths, the government did step in in the 60's and create the Highway Safety Act.

Much like gun deaths today, the 60's saw a dramatic increase due to the proliferation of the automobile. So, they enacted common sense measures to help reduce injuries and fatalities. A lot of the measures worked. Particularly the way cars were designed. That was due to government regulations.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/520570/safety-in-numbers-graph-2-photo-521183-s-original.jpg

Flash forward to today. Gun fatalities, for the first time, are predicted to outnumber car fatalities.

http://moveon.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/traffic-deaths-vs-gun-deaths.jpg

Yeah, some awesome comparison you got there....
Flash forward to today.

Tahuyaman
08-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I rode my bike throughout college and still do for the most part unless I need to drive. I'm not saying that cars are not necessary sometimes, I'm just saying that there are too many in my opinion and I think a lot of things would improve if we relied less on them. I think dense cities should also try and reconfigure their infrastructure to emphasize bikes and walking more than the automobile.

Then get elected to a city or county council position and see if you can impose your will upon the people as government officials always do.

See if you can lead or inspire people to change the way they do things.

domer76
08-28-2015, 09:51 PM
So it's the control not the guns you're really worried about. A mere 10-15 MPH reduction in speed limits would save thousands of lives. If saving lives is what you really care about you'd support that

It's the lame and absurd comparison of cars and guns by you barrel-strokers that is wearisome. You've worn that one out. Try something with a modicum of validity.

domer76
08-28-2015, 09:52 PM

The fact is they can have so-called safe guns, but the NRA will have nothing to do with that.

Redrose
08-28-2015, 10:28 PM

You forgot to include a no tolerance drug policy too, no drinking or use of drugs while you drive. No beer, wine, or pot. Stoned or buzzed people driving can kill people.

We could ban ladders too. Many people fall off ladders and die.

Howey
08-28-2015, 10:54 PM
I didnt know ladders were designed to kill people.

Redrose
08-28-2015, 10:56 PM

You've never seen my neighbor hang Christmas lights. lol

Tahuyaman
08-28-2015, 11:03 PM

they aren't, but if you get drunk and fall of a ladder and break your neck, you can hire some ambulance chaser who will argue that the ladder manufacturer was at fault. And he will win.

Tahuyaman
08-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Or if you set your ladder up in a pasture full of cow dung to repair a tall fence post and the ladder sinks into the turf and you fall off and get hurt, the ladder manufacturer can be held liable for not warning you about the viscosity of cow shit.

donttread
08-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Are the people less dead based upon the design intentions of the object that killed them?

donttread
08-29-2015, 12:25 PM
You forgot to include a no tolerance drug policy too, no drinking or use of drugs while you drive. No beer, wine, or pot. Stoned or buzzed people driving can kill people.

We could ban ladders too. Many people fall off ladders and die.

When you think about it , it's silly to play the "how impaired can I legally be to drive a two ton vecihile 70 MPH?" game. How about not at all. Make your choice today you drink or you drive.

donttread
08-29-2015, 12:27 PM
It's the lame and absurd comparison of cars and guns by you barrel-strokers that is wearisome. You've worn that one out. Try something with a modicum of validity.

Are you denying that a 15 MPH drop in speed limit would save lives? You are willing to violate the Constitution and subject us to tyranny to "save lives", but not spend a few more minutes commuting to do the same??

donttread
08-29-2015, 12:29 PM

And yet they still kill more people than guns

donttread
08-29-2015, 12:31 PM
If we really want to take this comparison further, we can

With a spike in deaths, the government did step in in the 60's and create the Highway Safety Act.

Much like gun deaths today, the 60's saw a dramatic increase due to the proliferation of the automobile. So, they enacted common sense measures to help reduce injuries and fatalities. A lot of the measures worked. Particularly the way cars were designed. That was due to government regulations.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/520570/safety-in-numbers-graph-2-photo-521183-s-original.jpg

Flash forward to today. Gun fatalities, for the first time, are predicted to outnumber car fatalities.

http://moveon.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/traffic-deaths-vs-gun-deaths.jpg

Yeah, some awesome comparison you got there....
Flash forward to today.

The fact remains that dropping speed limits 15 MPH would save thousands of lives without violating the Constitution, but you wouldn't support it because it would make your commute longer

domer76
08-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Are you denying that a 15 MPH drop in speed limit would save lives? You are willing to violate the Constitution and subject us to tyranny to "save lives", but not spend a few more minutes commuting to do the same??

I am saying the absurd comparison between auto deaths and gun deaths is the argument of a simpleton. It has nothing to do with speed limits.

donttread
08-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I am saying the absurd comparison between auto deaths and gun deaths is the argument of a simpleton. It has nothing to do with speed limits.

I think physics disagrees with you, look it up. Speed is highly connected to death and injury

domer76
08-29-2015, 01:27 PM
I think physics disagrees with you, look it up. Speed is highly connected to death and injury

Derp

donttread
08-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Derp

Excuse me, what?

Tahuyaman
08-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Studies show that the risk of a vehicle crash causing a fatality increase as vehicle speed increases.

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Studies show that the risk of a vehicle crash causing a fatality increase as vehicle speed increases.

Quick, next tell us dirt is dirty.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:50 PM

Studies say a lot of things. Studies also say that gun ownership increases your odds of being killed or injured with a gun.

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Studies say a lot of things. Studies also say that gun ownership increases your odds of being killed or injured with a gun.

Add to that studies would show owning a toaster would increase your chances of being bludgeoned to death by your spouse with a toaster.

Amazing how that works.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Add to that studies would show owning a toaster would increase your chances of being bludgeoned to death by your spouse with a toaster.

Amazing how that works.

That's why I threw out our toaster.

If I wanted dry crusty bread I'd buy dry crusty bread!

Tahuyaman
08-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Thst was intended for your butt buddy who doesn't understand that concept.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2015, 09:39 PM

having a gun in the vicinity does increase the odds.

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Studies show that the gun grabbers don't have the political clout to pass any law.

:smiley:

Continue pretending....

donttread
08-30-2015, 07:18 AM

Domer seemed to disagree

donttread
08-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Once again if it was about saving lives, including the lives of children, control freaks would be lining up to drive 15 MPH slower at all times and joyfully sacrifice the time that cost them. Just more proof that gun control isn't about the guns, it's about the control

Tahuyaman
08-30-2015, 09:51 AM
We did that years ago and it was a pain in the ass.

domer76
08-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Domer seemed to disagree

Derp

Dr. Who
08-30-2015, 02:44 PM

Amazing how that works.
Only if it were a metal toaster - those plastic things would just shatter.

Dr. Who
08-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Self-driving cars will solve the risk problems with driving.

domer76
08-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Once again if it was about saving lives, including the lives of children, control freaks would be lining up to drive 15 MPH slower at all times and joyfully sacrifice the time that cost them. Just more proof that gun control isn't about the guns, it's about the control

No really, donttread, it IS about guns. Your car analogy is a lame diversionary smokescreen. Gun deaths truly are about guns and not cars. Go figure, huh?

Tahuyaman
08-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Personal road-rail vehicles

The invention transforms conventional vehicles into Personal Road-Rail Vehicles (PRRVs) that have revolutionary dual mode of travel capabilities that permits their being driving as both conventional vehicles on conventional roads and as revolutionary high speed PRRVs on compact Road-Rail Highway Systems (RRHSs) (somewhat vaguely similar to a one car, high speed passenger train). it is envisioned these PRRVs and RRHSs will permit cost effectively upgrading and modernizing the national transportation system and infrastructure by: significantly reducing traffic congestion at major cities and highways by cost-effective adding additional multi-stacked, compact RRHS' lanes on existing real estate; expediting the transition to all electric PRRVs and the construction of electric power grids nationwide to support the embedded power grids in the RRHSs; and lastly by providing automated PRRV travel on RRHSs that will support evolving to fully automatic PRRV travel thus reducing the need for high speed passenger trains.

gamewell45
08-30-2015, 11:38 PM
We tried the 55 MPH speed limit once because liberals demanded it. It was dumb then and it's a dumb idea now.

Why is it dumb?

decedent
08-31-2015, 12:11 AM

I want a Humvee... Because things designed to kill people on the battlefield should be in my home.

donttread
08-31-2015, 05:49 AM
No really, donttread, it IS about guns. Your car analogy is a lame diversionary smokescreen. Gun deaths truly are about guns and not cars. Go figure, huh?

Your actions belie your words. When I see you campaigning to reduce all speed limits you might have some credability. Unlike gun control we can actually enforce speed limits

donttread
08-31-2015, 05:52 AM

Will they work as well as the other expensive sensors that fail in cars now? What happens when the self driving apparatus fails as all things mechanical eventually do

Peter1469
08-31-2015, 05:53 AM
Do you have a link. It looks interesting. I found some commercial applications for this.

The invention transforms conventional vehicles into Personal Road-Rail Vehicles (PRRVs) that have revolutionary dual mode of travel capabilities that permits their being driving as both conventional vehicles on conventional roads and as revolutionary high speed PRRVs on compact Road-Rail Highway Systems (RRHSs) (somewhat vaguely similar to a one car, high speed passenger train). it is envisioned these PRRVs and RRHSs will permit cost effectively upgrading and modernizing the national transportation system and infrastructure by: significantly reducing traffic congestion at major cities and highways by cost-effective adding additional multi-stacked, compact RRHS' lanes on existing real estate; expediting the transition to all electric PRRVs and the construction of electric power grids nationwide to support the embedded power grids in the RRHSs; and lastly by providing automated PRRV travel on RRHSs that will support evolving to fully automatic PRRV travel thus reducing the need for high speed passenger trains.

Dr. Who
08-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Will they work as well as the other expensive sensors that fail in cars now? What happens when the self driving apparatus fails as all things mechanical eventually do
I imagine that they would of necessity be better made and be capable of self-diagnostics. If any problem was detected, they either wouldn't go anywhere, or if already in motion, would pull off the road and call for service or a tow, assuming that there wasn't a manual option for the vehicle owner.

Mac-7
08-31-2015, 10:04 AM
The fact is they can have so-called safe guns, but the NRA will have nothing to do with that.

What about all the guns that lib gun grabbers consider unsafe?

Archer0915
08-31-2015, 10:08 AM

You know much about exponential wind resistance and the money/fuel that can be saved by not driving at 75MPH.

You see wind resistance does not... Oh hell, why bother.

Tahuyaman
08-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Why is it dumb?

It iwas dumb because for one thing, it did not save fuel consumption as the liberals claimed it would and it makes commuting by car more harmful to the environment by keeping cars running and spewing exhaust even longer. Plus, it did not make traveling by car measurably safer.

It was a dumb idea. A typical liberal failure.

Tahuyaman
08-31-2015, 10:28 AM
Do you have a link. It looks interesting. I found some commercial applications for this.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Tahuyaman

No I don't. Someone I know sent me some information. . He was involved in a project to develop rail systems on public hi-ways.

donttread
08-31-2015, 02:50 PM
I imagine that they would of necessity be better made and be capable of self-diagnostics. If any problem was detected, they either wouldn't go anywhere, or if already in motion, would pull off the road and call for service or a tow, assuming that there wasn't a manual option for the vehicle owner.

I trust my driving over a car's

Dr. Who
08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
No I don't. Someone I know sent me some information. . He was involved in a project to develop rail systems on public hi-ways.
I think this is the description for the Patent. (http://www.google.com/patents/US20130104769)

Ransom
09-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Tired meme. It's time the NRA did better.

Yeah. Cause the NRA is responsible for this Texas police officer being assassinated and these two reporters....and General Reynolds at Gettysburg as he was shot with a rifle.

domer76
09-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Your actions belie your words. When I see you campaigning to reduce all speed limits you might have some credability. Unlike gun control we can actually enforce speed limits

You get kudos for one of the more absurd posts for awhile. Why should I campaign for lower speed limits when gun violence and accidental deaths from vehicles have ZERO in common with each other? What a delsuisional bunch of bullshit you post.

Cars are made to transport things and are vital to our society. That accidents happen is a given. Guns are made to kill things. Both intentionally and not and are absolutely unnecessary for the proper function of a society. How you barrel-strokers equate to two is both pitiable and laughable.

donttread
09-01-2015, 06:46 PM
You get kudos for one of the more absurd posts for awhile. Why should I campaign for lower speed limits when gun violence and accidental deaths from vehicles have ZERO in common with each other? What a delsuisional bunch of bullshit you post.

Cars are made to transport things and are vital to our society. That accidents happen is a given. Guns are made to kill things. Both intentionally and not and are absolutely unnecessary for the proper function of a society. How you barrel-strokers equate to two is both pitiable and laughable.

Don't you fucking get that dead is dead? Apparently not. It's a simple concept, try really hard