PDA

View Full Version : A summer of Clinton stumbles....

OGIS
08-30-2015, 10:11 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-summer-of-clinton-stumbles-gives-way-to-an-uncertain-fall-for-democrats/2015/08/29/a4e5972e-4e57-11e5-902f-39e9219e574b_story.html

Is anyone else amused by the fact that her campaign manager's last name is Mook?

Peter1469
08-30-2015, 10:33 AM
I know an Army JAG officer with that last name (married name). She was a Marine JAG officer first. Solid build!

OGIS
08-30-2015, 10:48 AM
I know an Army JAG officer with that last name (married name). She was a Marine JAG officer first. Solid build!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mooks

Mac-7
08-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Conservatives have been saying for a long time that Hillary is not a very bright woman or a gifted campaigner

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 11:38 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-summer-of-clinton-stumbles-gives-way-to-an-uncertain-fall-for-democrats/2015/08/29/a4e5972e-4e57-11e5-902f-39e9219e574b_story.html

Is anyone else amused by the fact that her campaign manager's last name is Mook?

I picked up on that actually a while back.

Her campaign is a disaster, in large part because of her approach - she's not saying anything that people want to listen to. It's like she's either trying too hard or not enough.

Bernie is saying shit people want to pay attention to, hence the results so far. That and I think the general voting base mistrusts Hillary Rodham.

The way she's addressing Thug Lives Matter hecklers has been wholly void of leadership qualities on both sides of the issue spectrum.

Dr. Who
08-30-2015, 11:54 AM
I picked up on that actually a while back.

Her campaign is a disaster, in large part because of her approach - she's not saying anything that people want to listen to. It's like she's either trying too hard or not enough.

Bernie is saying shit people want to pay attention to, hence the results so far. That and I think the general voting base mistrusts Hillary Rodham.

The way she's addressing Thug Lives Matter hecklers has been wholly void of leadership qualities on both sides of the issue spectrum.
I was honestly surprised when she decided to run. She's too old and has too much political baggage to be a real contender. On the other hand she could have been a throw away candidate in an election year where the Dems shouldn't have much of a chance - statistically, giving them time to groom someone for the following election. This is the GOPs race to lose but the otherwise normal playing field has been upset by political outliers like Sanders and Trump. It's now going to be a bumpy ride and the outcome is no longer nearly as predictable.

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 11:57 AM
I was honestly surprised when she decided to run. She's too old and has too much political baggage to be a real contender. On the other hand she could have been a throw away candidate in an election year where the Dems shouldn't have much of a chance - statistically, giving them time to groom someone for the following election. This is the GOPs race to lose but the otherwise normal playing field has been upset by political outliers like Sanders and Trump. It's now going to be a bumpy ride and the outcome is no longer nearly as predictable.

I don't get the "too old" thing, I really don't. Is that a gender-specific stance? Seriously, if McCain can run at what, a billion six years old Hillary can't at whatever age she is now, I'm guessing early 60's.

And while statistically it's the GOP's turn I'm not sure it's in the bag. The GOP is great at self-inflicted damage and there are no true conservatives in the bunch to the extent that there are plenty of establishment and side-show candidates.

OGIS
08-30-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't get the "too old" thing, I really don't. Is that a gender-specific stance? Seriously, if McCain can run at what, a billion six years old Hillary can't at whatever age she is now, I'm guessing early 60's.

Did you have a memory-affecting stroke? As I recall there were a LOT of people on all sides saying that McCain was too old to run.

Dr. Who
08-30-2015, 12:26 PM

And while statistically it's the GOP's turn I'm not sure it's in the bag. The GOP is great at self-inflicted damage and there are no true conservatives in the bunch to the extent that there are plenty of establishment and side-show candidates.

It's unfortunate, but we live in a society where a woman's age can be a handicap, where it's not so much of a handicap to a man. Do you ever notice that much of the anti-Hillary rhetoric manages to bring up her age, her looks and her weight? Criticizing the appearance of women who are in the public eye seems to be a national sport. There is a saying is that as men age they grow more distinguished, women just grow old. That double standard hasn't changed.

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 12:29 PM
It's unfortunate, but we live in a society where a woman's age can be a handicap, where it's not so much of a handicap to a man. Do you ever notice that much of the anti-Hillary rhetoric manages to bring up her age, her looks and her weight? Criticizing the appearance of women who are in the public eye seems to be a national sport. There is a saying is that as men age they grow more distinguished, women just grow old. That double standard hasn't changed.

I do notice it but I don't think it's widespread nor do I pay much attention to it because I don't think any of it is relevant.

I did notice that you used it as a negative against her also.

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Did you have a memory-affecting stroke? As I recall there were a LOT of people on all sides saying that McCain was too old to run.

Yes... thank you OGIS for stating the obvious, I used McCain as an extreme example.

Mitt Romney is one year older than Hillary, is that better? Now show me the "Mitt is too old" bandwagon.

Dr. Who
08-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I do notice it but I don't think it's widespread nor do I pay much attention to it because I don't think any of it is relevant.

I did notice that you used it as a negative against her also.

Were I a supporter it wouldn't make a difference to me, but I wouldn't expect that she would be received like a younger woman would be.

OGIS
08-30-2015, 12:46 PM
And while statistically it's the GOP's turn...

Carroll Quigley would like a word...

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Carroll Quigley would like a word...

Who?

OGIS
08-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Who?

Google is your friend.

Personally, if I were a political know-it-all, I would be somewhat embarrassed about not knowing that name.

Captain Obvious
08-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Google is your friend.

Personally, if I were a political know-it-all, I would be somewhat embarrassed about not knowing that name.

I'm devastated...

Folks who aren't on my radar are usually not there for a reason. But maybe I should know who she is, it's just not that important to me right now to google her. Maybe later.