PDA

View Full Version : Shark bite and releases explained

donttread
09-01-2015, 08:06 AM
I have long scoffed at the notion that white sharks test bit humans and once they realized we weren't seals simply lost interest and swam away. I even theorized that it was more likely a bite and wait until the prey bleeds out strategy. Neither God nor the universe creates 2 ton fish by having them pass up free meals! A couple of specials I've seen lately have finally come out and proven me right , at least in some cases.
When great whites attack fur seals in shark invested waters you see the famous bass like top water strikes and relentless attack. That's because if they don't kill the animal and munch down immediately another great white will steal there dinner.
However, when they hunt young elephant seals in less shark crowded waters, they tend to bite , disabling the flippers and wait for the creature to bleed out and be less dangerous. In the case of humans however, other people pull the dead or injured swimmer out of the water before the shark can feed.
They do in fact test bite, to see if am object is food, not to be fussy about what kind of food it may be. Nesting great white females will also kill when not hungry in they feel their nest area is threatened.

donttread
09-02-2015, 06:30 AM
I have long scoffed at the notion that white sharks test bit humans and once they realized we weren't seals simply lost interest and swam away. I even theorized that it was more likely a bite and wait until the prey bleeds out strategy. Neither God nor the universe creates 2 ton fish by having them pass up free meals! A couple of specials I've seen lately have finally come out and proven me right , at least in some cases.
When great whites attack fur seals in shark invested waters you see the famous bass like top water strikes and relentless attack. That's because if they don't kill the animal and munch down immediately another great white will steal there dinner.
However, when they hunt young elephant seals in less shark crowded waters, they tend to bite , disabling the flippers and wait for the creature to bleed out and be less dangerous. In the case of humans however, other people pull the dead or injured swimmer out of the water before the shark can feed.
They do in fact test bite, to see if am object is food, not to be fussy about what kind of food it may be. Nesting great white females will also kill when not hungry in they feel their nest area is threatened.

This is also why I swim in lakes and rivers

waltky
11-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Major bite wounds to his right thigh...

Great White Shark Attacks California Spear Fisherman Off Pebble Beach
November 26, 2017 • A man spear fishing with his father off Pebble Beach in California was attacked by a great white shark and suffered major bite wounds to his right thigh.

Grigor Azatian, 25, was helped ashore by two off-duty police officers who had been fishing nearby when the Friday afternoon attack occurred. They applied a tourniquet to his leg to stem “massive blood loss,” said a statement from the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office. A sheriff’s department helicopter flew overhead afterward and may have spotted the shadowy body of the 15-foot shark.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/QnoznTWC7MYMqWJh95E8gQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/the_huffington_post_584/a37d525139544042d99689b694ff4cb0

A man spear fishing with his father off Pebble Beach in California was attacked by a great white shark and suffered major bite wounds to his right thigh

Azatian and his father were fishing several hundred yards offshore, at Stillwater Cove in Monterey County, when Azatian was attacked. He was listed in stable condition on Saturday following surgery. He’s expected to make a full recovery. “There was a lot of blood,” beachgoer Chris Prestegard told CBS News. “It didn’t look good.” “It was a shock for me,” Grigor’s father, Armen Azatian, told KSBW-8 TV. “It was a horrifying situation. My thought was just to try and help him to stop the bleeding.”

The water was evacuated and warning signs posted. Shark sightings are on the rise off the California coast. One reason may be elevated water temperatures during global warming — and more people in the water. The water isn’t getting cold enough to send the sharks father south. Unprovoked shark attacks worldwide hit a record 98 in 2015, according to reporting by the Florida Museum of Natural History. There were 84 such attacks in 2016.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-white-shark-attacks-california-060315256.html

resister
11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
This is also why I swim in lakes and rivers
Here, you can look forward to swimming with gators, also bullsharks regulary travel far up rivers (like hundreds of miles) Enjoy your swim! :)

Peter1469
11-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Here, you can look forward to swimming with gators, also bullsharks regulary travel far up rivers (like hundreds of miles) Enjoy your swim! :)

Bull sharks are the biggest threat in the Gulf region.

donttread
11-28-2017, 12:57 PM

When I'm in Florida I swim in pools. They are everywhere anyway. As a young man I swam in the Withlachohee. ( no doubt butchered spelling) and the Rainbow. But no more. LOL

resister
11-28-2017, 03:15 PM
When I'm in Florida I swim in pools. They are everywhere anyway. As a young man I swam in the Withlachohee. ( no doubt butchered spelling) and the Rainbow. But no more. LOL
Love the rainbow river, crystal clear see right to the bottom, used to bridge jump. Sadly, it is 200 or so miles, north. I have jumped off the bridge here about 10 times (20 ft drop) but I wont anymore. Never know what is hiding in that black water.

Mister D
11-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Bull sharks are the biggest threat in the Gulf region.
And in general from what I understand. A nasty critter.

resister
11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
And in general from what I understand. A nasty critter.
I believe I have heard, responsible for the highest # of attacks, of all species.

Mister D
11-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I believe I have heard, responsible for the highest # of attacks, of all species.

Correctamundo

donttread
11-29-2017, 08:28 AM
Love the rainbow river, crystal clear see right to the bottom, used to bridge jump. Sadly, it is 200 or so miles, north. I have jumped off the bridge here about 10 times (20 ft drop) but I wont anymore. Never know what is hiding in that black water.

Did you ever get to take the boat ride at Rainbow Springs? Beautiful. Even clearer that a mountain lake

resister
11-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Did you ever get to take the boat ride at Rainbow Springs? Beautiful. Even clearer that a mountain lake
No, but I grew up 8 miles away from Silver springs, also very clear. As a boy, I sneak in off SR 40 and trek thru the swamps to reach the river, where fishing was prohibited, those bass were huge and you could see them even 30 ft deep. They had never seen a lure and would bite anything.

It was a normal day to catch at least 2 10 pounders if not bigger.

donttread
11-29-2017, 05:57 PM
No, but I grew up 8 miles away from Silver springs, also very clear. As a boy, I sneak in off SR 40 and trek thru the swamps to reach the river, where fishing was prohibited, those bass were huge and you could see them even 30 ft deep. They had never seen a lure and would bite anything.

It was a normal day to catch at least 2 10 pounders if not bigger.

Wow . That must have been cool. An Ocala boy?

Mini Me
04-03-2018, 03:16 PM
I was swimming at Corpus Christi, TX out in about nine feet just beyond the breakers, and I spotted a Bull Shark coming right at me! And a miracle happened. A freak wave came and I body surfed all the way in to the beach!

MMC
04-03-2018, 04:00 PM
I was swimming at Corpus Christi, TX out in about nine feet just beyond the breakers, and I spotted a Bull Shark coming right at me! And a miracle happened. A freak wave came and I body surfed all the way in to the beach!

http://i.imgur.com/tFTU3Ig.gif

Watch out for those Republican Sharks Doc. :grin:

Peter1469
04-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Bull sharks are mean.