PDA

View Full Version : Pope: Forgive Abortion

Howey
09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm wondering what Catholics and others think of this. After all, isn't the Pope God's voice? Shouldn't we forgive and forget?

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-tells-priests-pardon-women-abortions-110936598.html

Pope Francis on Tuesday called on priests to pardon women who have abortions during the upcoming Jubilee year -- overruling hardline traditionalists within the Catholic Church.

"I have decided, notwithstanding anything to the contrary, to concede to all priests for the Jubilee Year the discretion to absolve of the sin of abortion those who have procured it and who, with contrite heart, seek forgiveness," he said.

In a message outlining special measures for the Jubilee year starting in December, Francis said he knew that while "abortion is experienced by some with a superficial awareness" many others "believe that they have no other option".

The Argentine pontiff said he was "well aware of the pressure" that some women were under to abort, adding that he had "met so many women who bear in their heart the scar of this agonising and painful decision".

Abortion is considered a particularly serious sin and is punishable under Canon law by excommunication, by which those guilty are expelled from the Church and considered to be condemned to Hell in the afterlife.

Chris
09-01-2015, 04:51 PM
So are you OK with saying abortion is an offense, a sin?

"pardon women who have abortions during the upcoming Jubilee year" where pardon implies forgiving an offense, "absolve of the sin of abortion".

Howey
09-01-2015, 06:05 PM

"pardon women who have abortions during the upcoming Jubilee year" where pardon implies forgiving an offense, "absolve of the sin of abortion".

I have no opinion regarding abortion in that I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body. I'm merely seeking feedback on the Popes comments. Are you going to reply?

Chris
09-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I have no opinion regarding abortion in that I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body. I'm merely seeking feedback on the Popes comments. Are you going to reply?

I did, are you going to reply to my reply?

Another question, do you or anyone else have a right to decide what to do with any living human being's body, including, equally, the unborn?

del
09-01-2015, 06:09 PM
probably not

the previous pope only allowed certain bishops and their designates to offer absolution to a woman who had had an abortion.

francis is saying any priest can.

good move on his part, imo.

Captain Obvious
09-01-2015, 06:32 PM
As Christians God tells us to forgive.

As God, God forgives sinners who repent.

If you continue to sin, you will not be forgiven by God.

Common Sense
09-01-2015, 06:34 PM

There are limits on repentance?

That's what I've always thought was so great about Catholicism. You have to be sorry, say a few hail Marry's and things are great.

whatukno
09-01-2015, 06:43 PM

That's why I believe in Sithis! Hail Sithis! :evil7:

Captain Obvious
09-01-2015, 06:44 PM
There are limits on repentance?

That's what I've always thought was so great about Catholicism. You have to be sorry, say a few hail Marry's and things are great.

Christians can forgive unconditionally.

God will only forgive if the sinner is truly repentant.

rembrant
09-02-2015, 02:49 PM

"pardon women who have abortions during the upcoming Jubilee year" where pardon implies forgiving an offense, "absolve of the sin of abortion". Well.....yeah. For Catholics.. you could do some big time Sin..Crime..confess it and be absolved. That.. won't keep you from legal prosecution. But...it's something. The Abortion thing? Well.....it got out of proportion. The Catholic Church... being SO against ANYTHING about SEX...against abortion AND Contraception.....was chasing away Catholics..or...making them Hypocrites. Many..maybe MOST..Catholics use Birth Control. It's time to UPDATE.

When "Dirty thoughts" Masterbating...Birth Control, rate about even with attempted murder or big time robbery, rape, other heavy felonies.....it's a tad odd.

rembrant
09-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Christians can forgive unconditionally.

God will only forgive if the sinner is truly repentant. My last confession was..2 weeks ago. I mastrubated 58 times. I had too many dirty thoughts to count..I almost stole a candy bar..I took a shot of Dads Old Grandad..and put some water in the bottle. I seriously wanted to kill this guy at school with a chainsaw..but....had no chainsaw.

Say 10 Hail Mary's and sin no more.

hanger4
09-02-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm all for the forgivness as long as the Popes words are understood; .... "and who, with contrite heart, seek forgiveness," he said".