PDA

View Full Version : Nice walk / run today

donttread
09-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I went for a 4 mile walk/ run today around the lake. I'm not fit enough to run the whole thing so I run for a quarter or half mile and then walk for a while. It's also very hilly country. It was a little warm but beautiful, I especially enjoyed the loons calling. Then some more gardening, 20 cherry tomatoes coming in a day. Plus romas and early girls. Note to self. Plant less tomatoes next year!

Peter1469
09-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a nice day.

Mister D
09-04-2015, 04:39 PM
It's foolish to try and run that far if you aren't in shape. You'll do a lot of good for yourself if you keep that up. It gets harder when it's colder because it's not as fun. It's also dark when you're free to do it.

Peter1469
09-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Run, walk, run, walk may be better for you anyway if all you are interested in is general health and not training for a race.

Mister D
09-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Run, walk, run, walk may be better for you anyway if all you are interested in is general health and not training for a race.

Overall, I think it's better for your average person. Not tooting my own horn but I consider myself an athlete at this point but if you just lookign to shed a few pounds and be healthier a walk/run cycle is best.

donttread
09-04-2015, 04:53 PM
It's foolish to try and run that far if you aren't in shape. You'll do a lot of good for yourself if you keep that up. It gets harder when it's colder because it's not as fun. It's also dark when you're free to do it.

Yes, on all counts. I'm slowly converting to using the local gym as fall approaches. You don't get the outdoor experience but much less impact

Mister D
09-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, on all counts. I'm slowly converting to using the local gym as fall approaches. You don't get the outdoor experience but much less impact

I prefer running outside but, yeah, if impact is a concern use the gym.

donttread
09-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Overall, I think it's better for your average person. Not tooting my own horn but I consider myself an athlete at this point but if you just lookign to shed a few pounds and be healthier a walk/run cycle is best.

It does wonders for my Cardio Vascular health, sort of my own version of interval training

Mister D
09-04-2015, 04:55 PM
It does wonders for my Cardio Vascular health, sort of my own version of interval training

I always encourage it whenever it comes up. It's not as intense and people are lot more likely to be consistent with it.

Peter1469
09-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Agreed.

Peter1469
09-04-2015, 04:57 PM

I run on a track at a local high school- they even shovel one or two lanes in the winter. Concrete and asphalt is to much for my knees.

Tricia
09-04-2015, 04:59 PM
I've been running at the gym lately because the heat/ humidity gets to me. I really prefer to be outside where there is scenery.

Mister D
09-04-2015, 05:00 PM
I run on a track at a local high school- they even shovel one or two lanes in the winter. Concrete and asphalt is to much for my knees.

That's a good ides too, donttread. That turf or whatever is much easier on your feet. They close my local high school tracks at sundown though.

Peter1469
09-04-2015, 05:03 PM
That's a good ides too, donttread. That turf or whatever is much easier on your feet. They close my local high school tracks at sundown though.

I am not sure the closing and opening times, but I have run there after dark (in the winter, not summer) and when I am driving to work at 6:30 people are all over it.

donttread
09-04-2015, 10:39 PM

We have a cinder track, but I get bored running around in circles. Which makes no sense since I'll hop on a stationary elipitical or treadmill for half an hour at a time. Go figure

donttread
09-04-2015, 10:42 PM
I've been running at the gym lately because the heat/ humidity gets to me. I really prefer to be outside where there is scenery.

My problem is that our winter severely limits outdoor walking and running, but I do get lots of shoveling in. I never plowed or used a snow blower all last year on my 1,300 square foot driveway

donttread
09-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Sore as shit today, but then again I worked out fairly hard 4 days in a row. At my age with my belly and these knees and being as active as I try to be: If I ever wake up without something hurting at least a little, I'll immediately check the obituaries!

Mister D
09-05-2015, 09:00 AM
I am not sure the closing and opening times, but I have run there after dark (in the winter, not summer) and when I am driving to work at 6:30 people are all over it.

I haven't actually tested the will of the authorities but the signs say they close at dusk.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 09:02 AM
My problem is that our winter severely limits outdoor walking and running, but I do get lots of shoveling in. I never plowed or used a snow blower all last year on my 1,300 square foot driveway

I always use a shovel. I just say to myself that's my workout for the day.

donttread
09-05-2015, 09:18 AM
I always use a shovel. I just say to myself that's my workout for the day.

The end of the driveway with that heavy, wet, salt laiden plowed snow is the worst

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Sore as shit today, but then again I worked out fairly hard 4 days in a row. At my age with my belly and these knees and being as active as I try to be: If I ever wake up without something hurting at least a little, I'll immediately check the obituaries!

You need to incorporate rest days, even more until you get into better shape. Walking can be a rest day if you don't overdo it.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I haven't actually tested the will of the authorities but the signs say they close at dusk.

The track here has one gate to the public that gets locked.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 09:25 AM
The track here has one gate to the public that gets locked.

I can get in pretty easily if I wanted to both tracks but if the lights are off it might be less dangerous to run outside.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 09:40 AM
I can get in pretty easily if I wanted to both tracks but if the lights are off it might be less dangerous to run outside.

True.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 12:18 PM
I have one of those little clip on lights. It's supposed to last for 100 hours. This will be it's third Winter coming up. I don't think I use more than an hour and a half of its juice per week before Daylight Savings Time.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I have one of those little clip on lights. It's supposed to last for 100 hours. This will be it's third Winter coming up. I don't think I use more than an hour and a half of its juice per week before Daylight Savings Time.

I have never used a light. Other than the times in the army when I was a road guard for the PT formation.

If I am on my own I can see better in general without the light.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 01:49 PM
I have never used a light. Other than the times in the army when I was a road guard for the PT formation.

If I am on my own I can see better in general without the light.

I don't mean a light so I can see. That's rarely a problem unless I try to run through a park. I can't see my hand in front of my face when I do that I don't bother. I mean a little flashing light so other people, particularly drivers, can see you.

donttread
09-05-2015, 03:27 PM
You need to incorporate rest days, even more until you get into better shape. Walking can be a rest day if you don't overdo it.

Right on the money . If I take a total rest day I wind up even more sore. I did a short, no hurry walk and weeded and harvested the garden today

Mister D
09-05-2015, 04:27 PM
There are times when you really do need a rest. Listen to your body. You'll be able to differentiate between minor aches and pains and worn out muscles and tendons. I did 5 miles a day for 5 days straight. You can just tell when a pain is from muscles that are strained and need a rest.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 04:29 PM
One clue is that they show up in places that under normal circumstances never hurt.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Some pain after a work out is normal. Pain during a work out is a clue to stop doing what is causing the pain. I mean more than just muscle "pain" from exertion.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Some pain after a work out is normal. Pain during a work out is a clue to stop doing what is causing the pain. I mean more than just muscle "pain" from exertion.

Right. It takes some experience to perceive the difference. Runners High kind of masks pain so within a couple miles I feel fine but lately some tendons/muscles in my feet were sore and I knew it was time for a two day break. Did some strength work on the first day and did nothing at all the next.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Right. It takes some experience to perceive the difference. Runners High kind of masks pain so within a couple miles I feel fine but lately some tendons/muscles in my feet were sore and I knew it was time for a two day break. Did some strength work on the first day and did nothing at all the next.

Smart. If you push it into an injury you could be out of action for months.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Smart. If you push it into an injury you could be out of action for months.

True. It's also good to look your pain up and see what you can find. That helps ease your concerns. IT Band Syndrome and Plantar Fasciitis, for example, are common complaints.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 05:53 PM
I did a similar thing, except not running through pain, instead, running in the winter on snow and ice. Which was risky, and I ended up twisting my knee and couldn't run for 3-4 months. That sucked big time.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I did a similar thing, except not running through pain, instead, running in the winter on snow and ice. Which was risky, and I ended up twisting my knee and couldn't run for 3-4 months. That sucked big time.

Ugh...I've had some spills but thank God no injuries. I did pull a muscle deep in my butt by stopping short on top of a stick in 2012. It was very painful for a couple weeks.

Peter1469
09-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Ugh...I've had some spills but thank God no injuries. I did pull a muscle deep in my butt by stopping short on top of a stick in 2012. It was very painful for a couple weeks.

That was my worse injury as a civilian. And it was completely avoidable- it was too icy to be running where I lived at the time.

Mister D
09-05-2015, 06:14 PM
That was my worse injury as a civilian. And it was completely avoidable- it was too icy to be running where I lived at the time.

In that season you can't really run on the road unless it's a day off. You're stuck with the sidewalk.

donttread
09-05-2015, 07:36 PM

The muscle pain I can deal with,the joint pain is the concern

Mister D
09-05-2015, 10:04 PM
The muscle pain I can deal with,the joint pain is the concern

I hear you. Don't push it. Walking does a lot of good.

donttread
09-06-2015, 11:07 AM

My experience is that knees, even bad ones tolerate straight forward movement much better than they do side ways or other twisting motions

donttread
09-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Did the same walk run today, much hotter about the same time