PDA

View Full Version : ‘Preppers’ » Citing prophecies, politics and economy, many expect a catastrophe by th

Peter1469
09-14-2015, 03:01 AM
‘Preppers’ » Citing prophecies, politics and economy, many expect a catastrophe by the end of September. (http://www.sltrib.com/home/2935776-155/some-mormons-stocking-up-amid-fears)

Dark corners of the Internet speak of end of days coming this month. Part of the Jewish holidays and some cycle.

Mixing a brew of biblical prophecies, the Hebrew calendar, a volatile economy, world politics, a reported near-death experience and astronomical occurrences, hordes of Utahns have become convinced that calamitous events are imminent — maybe by month's end — and are taking every precaution.

They are called "preppers" and are buying up food-storage kits, flashlights, blankets and tents. Some are even bracing to leave their homes — if need be.

At American Fork's Thrive Life, which sells mostly freeze-dried food, sales have shot up by "500 percent or more in the past couple of months," says customer- service representative Ricardo Aranda. "There is a sense of urgency, like something is up. A lot of people are mentioning things about September, like a financial collapse."

whatukno
09-14-2015, 03:25 AM
They've been saying the end is nigh for so long now, hell, longer than most of us (except hanger4, apparently) have been alive. Like every other "doomsday" prophecy this will pass, and those that believed in it will look like the idiots they are.

Peter1469
09-14-2015, 03:27 AM
They've been saying the end is nigh for so long now, hell, longer than most of us (except @hangar4, apparently) have been alive. Like every other "doomsday" prophecy this will pass, and those that believed in it will look like the idiots they are.

One thing is for sure. These people are not the ones you see at stores during dangerous storms looking for basic staples.

whatukno
09-14-2015, 03:31 AM
One thing is for sure. These people are not the ones you see at stores during dangerous storms looking for basic staples.

This is true, here in Florida we have what are called Hurricane Kits, I have several days of water, and food just in case a hurricane comes a knocking. Course, doesn't look like I needed it this year. But prepping for bad weather, and prepping for the end of the world are two different things.

whatukno
09-14-2015, 03:42 AM
Although, one thing I did forget to stock this year was whisky. I must remember that for next hurricane season.

hanger4
09-14-2015, 06:55 AM
They've been saying the end is nigh for so long now, hell, longer than most of us (except hanger4, apparently) have been alive. Like every other "doomsday" prophecy this will pass, and those that believed in it will look like the idiots they are.

Yeah I'm a mini prepper too. Snow ins and or ice ins around here. .... BTW one can tell when a poster is butthurt over being pwnd continuously, they *mention* him/her for no reason. :grin:

Peter1469
09-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Anyway, so many people don't bother to even have supplies for 3-4 days on hand..., curious.

Common
09-14-2015, 07:07 AM
This is true, here in Florida we have what are called Hurricane Kits, I have several days of water, and food just in case a hurricane comes a knocking. Course, doesn't look like I needed it this year. But prepping for bad weather, and prepping for the end of the world are two different things.

I live in fla and I have a min of supplies, I do have a generator. The reason I dont have much is that Fla has days of notice before a storm. My GPS has the address's of all my kids in it. If theres going to be a major storm hit. I AM NOT eating and drinking out of a kit. Im getting the hell out of dodge.

I am taking my wife my dog and "our" prepacked travel kits, clothes toiletries and Cash were all getting in the car and take a leisurely drive to visit one of the kids. I dont give a damn if the house is there or not when I get back. I have insurance.

whatukno
09-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Yeah I'm a mini prepper too. Snow ins and or ice ins around here. .... BTW one can tell when a poster is butthurt over being pwnd continuously, they *mention* him/her for no reason. :grin:

Pwned? That's quite the youngin' word for you to use gramps. I'm simply pointing out that many people throughout the ages have had doomsday dates in mind. (and a little jab at you for pretending your an old curmudgeon)

hanger4
09-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Anyway, so many people don't bother to even have supplies for 3-4 days on hand..., curious.

That amazes me too. We always have a box a canned food we can cook/heat on the wood stove.Even have a small power generater if needed, mostly to power the well pump for water.

whatukno
09-14-2015, 07:12 AM
I live in fla and I have a min of supplies, I do have a generator. The reason I dont have much is that Fla has days of notice before a storm. My GPS has the address's of all my kids in it. If theres going to be a major storm hit. I AM NOT eating and drinking out of a kit. Im getting the hell out of dodge.

I am taking my wife my dog and "our" prepacked travel kits, clothes toiletries and Cash were all getting in the car and take a leisurely drive to visit one of the kids. I dont give a damn if the house is there or not when I get back. I have insurance.

A lot of people do.

Peter1469
09-14-2015, 07:13 AM
I have never left due to a storm. I may have with Katrina, although my mom would never leave, so that would have ended the discussion.

hanger4
09-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Pwned? That's quite the youngin' word for you to use gramps. I'm simply pointing out that many people throughout the ages have had doomsday dates in mind. (and a little jab at you for pretending your an old curmudgeon)

The only *doomsday date* I have is my own which I don't know but know it'll happen. I don't concern myself with others predictions because it's beyond my control. .... BTW Thanks for making my point. :)

Common
09-14-2015, 07:22 AM

I have plenty of canned and boxed food, I have gallons of distilled and Spring water in the garage, I have a generator runs on propane and gasoline in necessary. I have a BBQ grill and a Gas grill so I can cook on either if necessary. I chose not to do that if I have a choice. Ill take a nice ride visit the kids and come back when its all over and check out the house.

Common Sense
09-14-2015, 07:25 AM
It's good to be prepared. A prolonged blackout is probably the most realistic threat.

Obsessing over it and spending huge amounts of time and money isn't healthy.

Believing in crazy doomsday shit you read on the internet is well, just crazy.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Might explain why Bob 's not been around much lately.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-apocalypse-prediction-has-people-stocking-up-on-food/ar-AAehz8s?li=AAa0dzB

Sales for freeze-dried food, flashlights, blankets and tents have soared in Utah in recent weeks as some Mormons have begun to prepare for the end of the world. The so-called "preppers" believe the world is ending this month based on biblical prophecies, the Hebrew calendar, an unstable economy, world politics and astronomical occurrences, the Salt Lake Tribune reported (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-some-mormons-are-preparing-for-doomsday_55f35fa2e4b077ca094f3ebf)Sunday.

“There is a sense of urgency, like something is up. A lot of people are mentioning things about September, like a financial collapse," said customer-service representative Ricardo Aranda at American Fork’s Thrive Life, which sells mostly freeze-dried food.

The Mormon apocalypse believers claim the Jewish High Holy Days that began this week will trigger a financial crisis based on the United States’ “wickedness.” They predict the full moon on Sept. 28 is the next sign of the world is ending.

Some of these speculations stem from Julie Rowe’s books, “A Greater Tomorrow: My Journey Beyond the Veil” and “The Time Is Now.” Rowe, a Mormon mother of three, published the books in 2014 to detail a “near-death experience." Her two books have sold more than 20,000 copies each.

Common Sense
09-15-2015, 10:02 AM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1499969.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/End of the World - the weather forecast

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Why is it that all these other religions take my holidays and turn them into apocalyptic events?

Jesus. It's just the Jewish new year and the Day of Atonement.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 10:32 AM
:biglaugh:

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 10:42 AM
I mean, seriously, Mormons, create your own apocalyptic event. Have Joseph Smith and Brigham Young come riding out of the clouds on their golden plates like this:

http://media-azeroth.cursecdn.com/attachments/15/832/634862346416228203.jpg

All the women of the world become their new wives and all the men are forced to wear magic underwear.

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 10:42 AM
And Christians have enough references to zombies in the Bible, they ought to just adopt the zombie apocalypse as their apocalyptic event.

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 10:57 AM
"mormon apocalypse" sounds kinda wussy.

Instead of fire and brimstone we may be looking at a couple of hazy days and a Jello shortage.

Private Pickle
09-15-2015, 11:11 AM
They stock up on food, water, guns, ammo, wives...

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 11:16 AM
I don't get this extra wives thing. I was married to one woman for 16 years and just barely survived. I can't imagine how it would have been with 2 or more!

Howey
09-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Might explain why Bob 's not been around much lately.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-apocalypse-prediction-has-people-stocking-up-on-food/ar-AAehz8s?li=AAa0dzB

Correction. The cult of Mormons are stocking up. Not normal people.

Common Sense
09-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Apocalypse aside, I do find it funny that people don't seem to have a problem bashing Mormons, but being critical of Christianity in general and you're all of a sudden a general in the war on Christmas.

Is it because it's a made up religion? Aren't they all?

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Apocalypse aside, I do find it funny that people don't seem to have a problem bashing Mormons, but being critical of Christianity in general and you're all of a sudden a general in the war on Christmas.

Sure, hijack my thread for your personal, political agenda.

Christianity is the queen bee of religions here. It's the high maintenance girlfriend who doesn't want anyone else getting noticed but her.

Safety
09-15-2015, 11:31 AM

https://i1.wp.com/myincrediblewebsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Who-Let-the-Cat-Out-of-the-Bag.jpg

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Naw, it's 'case we feel safe since there's not that many of them

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 11:59 AM

I make more fun of my own religion than I do anyone else's, so...

domer76
09-15-2015, 12:00 PM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1499969.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/End of the World- the weather forecast

OK, CS. You really did get a true laugh out loud from me on that one! Kudos and thanks!

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Might explain why @Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013) 's not been around much lately.

The Church has not said a word to me about this. I had no idea this was going on.

My question is this. If the end is near, why stock up on food?

That story has a rotten fish smell to it.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 04:09 PM
The Church has not said a word to me about this. I had no idea this was going on.

I thought the same thing.

del
09-15-2015, 04:11 PM
you spelled moron wrong

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Why is it that all these other religions take my holidays and turn them into apocalyptic events?

I like how you snuck in the word Jesus. When you start threads, try to have a good deal more flexibility next time. You might keep your topic more interesting that way.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I can't recall when the Mormons did not want us to keep a good stock of easy to keep food stocks. Dad tried to keep over 6 months on hand in his freezers and his stored items, such as wheat in an insect proof container.

I will ask some members what they know of this claim by the media.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:17 PM
I mean, seriously, Mormons, create your own apocalyptic event. Have Joseph Smith and Brigham Young come riding out of the clouds on their golden plates like this:

http://media-azeroth.cursecdn.com/attachments/15/832/634862346416228203.jpg

All the women of the world become their new wives and all the men are forced to wear magic underwear.

Who is running down your religion? This is one thing I despise about you. You are cruel.

Howey
09-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Check your textbook. Rosh Hashanah was the 13, Yom Kipper isn't until the 24th. :)

Common Sense
09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Check your textbook. Rosh Hashanah was the 13, Yom Kipper isn't until the 24th. :)

Most of my Jewish friends try to stretch them out...

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't get this extra wives thing. I was married to one woman for 16 years and just barely survived. I can't imagine how it would have been with 2 or more!

Homosexuals have made this possible now. Find a yin and yang wife if you really must be married.

Think of it like this. Women love to chat and cook and other things. If one is home all day with the kids, she sees you as the enemy, not her pal.

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Homosexuals have made this possible now. Find a yin and yang wife if you really must be married.

Think of it like this. Women love to chat and cook and other things. If one is home all day with the kids, she sees you as the enemy, not her pal.
Give it a rest Bob.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:23 PM

I see your logic at least. But we believe the Mormon Church restored the full gospel. We believe in the days of Jesus, it then existed.

When one does not accept Jesus nor God, they naturally see no reason to appreciate the Gospels and Jesus.

Common Sense
09-15-2015, 04:25 PM

^ Hey ladies. This is what a woman is to Bob. You like to cook and chat and do other things.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Give it a rest @Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013).

I will, when you give this wives issue a rest. We do not marry more than one woman. The Church would excommunicate us were we to try that.

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 04:26 PM

Interesting point.

Maybe it's not the endiest end, maybe it's just like a hiccup or something.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:27 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1256379#post1256379)

^ Hey ladies. This is what a woman is to Bob. You like to cook and chat and do other things.

That covers the spectrum and is not one bit disrespectful to women. The idea that you present of me is more of your fakery in that it is not the entire scope of why I appreciate women so much.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Not necessarily in that order

Common Sense
09-15-2015, 04:29 PM
That covers the spectrum and is not one bit disrespectful to women. The idea that you present of me is more of your fakery in that it is not the entire scope of why I appreciate women so much.

What do you like best about women? The cooking, the chatting or the other things?

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 04:29 PM
I will, when you give this wives issue a rest. We do not marry more than one woman. The Church would excommunicate us were we to try that.
So Warren Jeffs and his ilk just didn't get the word?

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I like how you snuck in the word Jesus. When you start threads, try to have a good deal more flexibility next time. You might keep your topic more interesting that way.

I now refuse to reply to a thing @Green Arrow says on the forum.

Well, that didn't last long.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Sure, hijack my thread for your personal, political agenda.

Christianity is the queen bee of religions here. It's the high maintenance girlfriend who doesn't want anyone else getting noticed but her.

By the way, we Mormons explain over and over, we are Christians. Our entire church structure is based on that fact.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2015, 04:32 PM
What do you like best about women? The cooking, the chatting or the other things?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c5/2f/c9/c52fc9ba22e9f1b5a5309a7640a46b46.jpg

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:33 PM
So Warren Jeffs and his ilk just didn't get the word?

He never was a member of the church. We banned polygamy in 1890.

Green Arrow
09-15-2015, 04:33 PM

Today is the second day of Rosh Hashanah and I'm well aware that next week is Yom Kippur. This whole cycle is what the article claims the Mormons are considering apocalyptic.

It was also a reference to a comment Peter1469 made about this week being a bad week.

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:35 PM

I was making a point of what women would do as a polygamy wife. Not that all women are limited as you appear to suggest.

Peter1469
09-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Notice: Duplicate threads merged

Crepitus
09-15-2015, 04:38 PM
He never was a member of the church. We banned polygamy in 1890.
Uh, he sure thinks he is.

Peter1469
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM
So..., all the prepping going on..... :smiley:

Bob
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Uh, he sure thinks he is.

Think of them like this. Lutherans once were part of the Catholic church until the differences got so large, they broke off.

Jeffs does not accept the church people speak of a lot. His group is more reviled in fact.

OGIS
09-20-2015, 11:26 AM

This is something that is not clear to me: if the world is gonna end.... WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF YOU HAVE SUPPLIES?

Like the idiots who sell all their shit before the world ends. Why bother? Seriously. These people are all idiots.

Captain Obvious
09-20-2015, 11:26 AM
lol OGIS - he discovered the paranormal room

Peter1469
09-20-2015, 11:27 AM
lol @OGIS (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1693) - he discovered the paranormal room

I forced him too by moving his thread. :smiley:

Peter1469
09-20-2015, 11:29 AM
This is something that is not clear to me: if the world is gonna end.... WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF YOU HAVE SUPPLIES?

Like the idiots who sell all their shit before the world ends. Why bother? Seriously. These people are all idiots.

Many preppers are worried about short term situations such as storms or earthquakes. Others about a long term situation such as a currency collapse. Others martial law. Some an EMP attack or solar flare that destroys the electric grid (very bad).

I wouldn't worry about the ones that actually think the world is ending.

OGIS
09-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Naw, it's 'case we feel safe since there's not that many of them

And - thank God - less of them every year.

OGIS
09-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I forced him too by moving his thread. :smiley:

And I thank you for that. Didn't realize it was so much fun here.

Protip: could you make a site macro or something that automatically moves all threads that reference Mirror articles to here? It would sure save the mods a lot of time.

OGIS
09-20-2015, 11:35 AM

But you DO maintain binders of them, right?

Bob
09-20-2015, 04:29 PM
But you DO maintain binders of them, right?

Mitt Romney keeps lists.

Safety
09-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Mitt Romney keeps lists.
Binders of women.