PDA

View Full Version : Black Voters Warming Up To Sanders from 1% to 14%

Cigar
09-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Why Aren't More Black Voters Feeling the Bern?
Critics say the Sanders campaign needs to do a lot more to connect with black voters.
By Terrell Jermaine Starr / AlterNet
September 10, 2015

Black Voters Warming Up To Sanders, But Barely

In June, only 1 percent of black people had a favorable view of Sanders, according to Public Policy Polling. That number increased to 6 percent in July, and now, it’s at 14 percent. The uptick in favorability is a positive sign because it is still very early in the campaign season. The political strategists interviewed for this story believe Hillary Clinton doesn’t necessarily have the black vote locked down.

Roland Martin, managing editor and host of TV One’s African-American news show, NewsOne Now, says Sanders needs to tailor his economic message and be more consistent about it if he expects to earn a decent percentage of black votes.

“It has to be a strong economic message that speaks directly to black people,” Martin said. “I think what happens is that white progressives want to be able to speak in these general terms and not speak specifically to black people.”

“Voters still want some competitiveness in the Democratic primaries and having a different voice,” she said. “If he harnesses that voice and actually uses it, I think he could make some inroads, just because there is that opportunity to have some contrast to the lead candidate. He is making the largest gains in the primaries than the rest of the candidates. So that is an opportunity. Don’t forget in 2008 the bulk of African-American women were still with Hillary Clinton and candidate Obama migrated them away from her by investing in talking to them about issues that they care about.”

As for those claiming black people don’t want to vote for an old white guy, Carr has this response: “We were a little more sophisticated in voting for Obama for reasons other than him being a black man.”

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/why-arent-more-black-voters-feeling-bern#

.... and now a word from our experts on Black Voters :laugh:

Cigar
09-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Let's End This 'Together,' Sanders Tells Black Youth in South CarolinaThe presidential hopeful was joined by Dr. Cornel West, who introduced the Vermont Senator as 'a brother of integrity and honesty and decency.'

http://www.commondreams.org/sites/default/files/sanders_at_benedict.jpg
The Hill reports:

"When I talk about racism … I am talking about Sandra Bland," Sanders said, referencing the Chicago woman who was found hanged in a Texas police cell after being arrested for a minor traffic violation.

Sanders ticked off several other names — Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, “and too many others who died at the hands of police officers, or in police custody,” he said as the audience rose to its feet.

“If anybody thinks that this phenomenon … is something new, you are very, very mistaken,” Sanders continued, wiping his brow. “It has gone on for a very, very long time.”

“Like any other public official, if a police officer breaks the law, that police officer must be held accountable,” he added, to another standing ovation.

At one point, Sanders' warned the young crowd, "I’m going to bore you with facts; I’m not great at jokes. Alright? So let’s get some truth out there."

He went on to cite a statistic that in 2009, 69 percent of black male high school dropouts ended up in jail, which he said is up from 15 percent in 1979. "Now it seems to me, given that reality, that tragic reality, it makes a lot more sense for us just to invest in jobs and education rather than jails and incarceration," he said.

The presidential hopeful also touted a sweeping criminal justice reform bill which he is expected to introduce to Congress next week. The legislation would increase oversight for privately-run prisons and end contracts for for-profit prisons within two years, reinstate the federal parole system, and end the mandatory quota of immigrants detained.

"Racism remains alive today, and our goal together must be to end all forms of institutional racism and make major reforms in our criminal justice system," he concluded.

As for West, aides for the candidate believe he will provide a helpful bridge between Sanders' economic message and the racial justice movement, which has focused on police and systemic brutality against people of color.

"He’s a forceful voice for understanding the intersection of racial justice and economic justice. He understands very well Bernie’s message. He provides validation to many people that the agenda Bernie is putting forward is an agenda that would benefit people in the African American community and beyond," said Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver.

The college visit came ahead of two other South Carolina stops in Florence and Rock Hill later Saturday. The four-day Southern swing also included a low-dollar fundraiser Friday night in Atlanta, as well as a rally in Greensboro, N.C. Sunday evening, and multiple stops Monday in Virginia, including a convocation speech to students at Liberty University, the conservative Christian school founded by evangelist Jerry Falwell, the Washington Post reports.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/)

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/09/13/lets-end-together-sanders-tells-black-youth-south-carolina

The Xl
09-14-2015, 10:01 AM
It's kinda insane that the number is still so low, but it's good to see it on the rise. He's the only one that will represent their interests at all.

Cigar
09-14-2015, 10:05 AM
It's kinda insane that the number is still so low, but it's good to see it on the rise. He's the only one that will represent their interests at all.

Bottom Line is; when people step up to the Voting Booth, they go alone. :wink:

Common
09-14-2015, 10:07 AM

Thats true but the black leadership, Al Sharpton and others are pushing Hilly. Once they see she cant win they will push Sanders then blacks will come over in larger numbers. THE PROBLEM IS.

Sanders cant win Potus, yes thats just my opinion

The Xl
09-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Thats true but the black leadership, Al Sharpton and others are pushing Hilly. Once they see she cant win they will push Sanders then blacks will come over in larger numbers. THE PROBLEM IS.

Sanders cant win Potus, yes thats just my opinion

He has a shot if Trump is the nominee or runs third party

Common
09-14-2015, 10:18 AM
He has a shot if Trump is the nominee or runs third party

Trump wont be nominee, theres a long time left in this primary and the Billionaire Power Brokers on the conservative right havent even started spending to attack trump. When they do break loose on him there is going to be an avalanche fall on him. What the powerbrokers are doing now is letting HIM RUN HIS MOUTH and the are collecting ALL he says. They have no political history to fall back on with trump so they are letting him run his mouth and they will DESTROY him with his own words when they break loose.

texan
09-14-2015, 10:35 AM
It makes sense across he board that he grows his base in general as we have seen. Nobody knows him except junkies like us.......No he is getting some exposure and Hillary has taken on water.

Professor Peabody
09-14-2015, 07:59 PM
14% of 13% of the population? You can fit 'em in the little yellow short bus.

del
09-14-2015, 08:02 PM
14% of 13% of the population? You can fit 'em in the little yellow short bus.

did you know they named a lego after you?

congrats!

Professor Peabody
09-14-2015, 08:23 PM
did you know they named a lego after you?

congrats!

I think they named a taco after you, what's your point?