PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Postal Service in Danger of Defaulting and Being Shut Down

Conley
09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
The United States Postal Service has long lived on the financial edge, but it has never been as close to the precipice as it is today: the agency is so low on cash that it will not be able to make a $5.5 billion payment due this month and may have to shut down entirely this winter unless Congress takes emergency action to stabilize its finances.

“Our situation is extremely serious,” the postmaster general, Patrick R. Donahoe, said in an interview. “If Congress doesn’t act, we will default.”

In recent weeks, Mr. Donahoe has been pushing a series of painful cost-cutting measures to erase the agency’s deficit, which will reach $9.2 billion this fiscal year. They include eliminating Saturday mail delivery, closing up to 3,700 postal locations and laying off 120,000 workers — nearly one-fifth of the agency’s work force — despite a no-layoffs clause in the unions’ contracts.

The post office’s problems stem from one hard reality: it is being squeezed on both revenue and costs.

As any computer user knows, the Internet revolution has led to people and businesses sending far less conventional mail.

At the same time, decades of contractual promises made to unionized workers, including no-layoff clauses, are increasing the post office’s costs. Labor represents 80 percent of the agency’s expenses, compared with 53 percent at United Parcel Service and 32 percent at FedEx, its two biggest private competitors. Postal workers also receive more generous health benefits than most other federal employees.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44396682/ns/business-us_business/

Sounds like another labor problem. No-layoff clauses? But the mail must be delivered...if you read the article it sounds like it's more about Pols' personal feuds than anything else:

The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on the agency’s predicament on Tuesday. So far, feuding Democrats and Republicans in Congress, still smarting from the brawl over the federal debt ceiling, have failed to agree on any solutions. It doesn’t help that many of the options for saving the postal service are politically unpalatable.

.“The situation is dire,” said Thomas R. Carper, the Delaware Democrat who is chairman of the Senate subcommittee that oversees the postal service. “If we do nothing, if we don’t react in a smart, appropriate way, the postal service could literally close later this year. That’s not the kind of development we need to inject into a weak, uneven economic recovery.”

Conley
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
We're going to be a third world country pretty soon. Already the wealth disparity is on par with African nations run as dictatorships...watch as the infrastructure continues to crumble. Meanwhile Obama is pushing another joke of a 'jobs bill' which he is demanding the Republicans pass. ::)

Mister D
09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
A no layoffs clause...::)

The Internet has pretty much killed the postal service. What can you do? I guess the only option is a total overhaul which will have to include a mass layoff and reduction in some services. Granted, it's weird for me to see this happen but the only concern, IMHO, is the work force. Once that is solved perhaps most of us will accept that the postal service has outlived its usefulness.

MMC
09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
The one problem I have with the whole situation concerning the Post Office is that the pols are trying to get involved. This is the only program that the fed created that worked. How can they say they cannot make ends meet. It is the only Fed Program that has ever made money.

Also I thought they forced the Fed union worker to take money and put it towards some time of retirement. That they were like trying to force some pool for healthcare benefits.

Personally I do not think they should allow any messing with the Post Office. They should turn them into internet Cafe's like they have overseas. Copier Places and Faxs. Also UPS works longer hrs and run their buisness on a different time schedule due to all their overseas buisnesses. So technically the Post Office cannot compete with overseas companies.

Conley
09-05-2011, 06:15 PM

The Internet has pretty much killed the postal service. What can you do? I guess the only option is a total overhaul which will have to include a mass layoff and reduction in some services. Granted, it's weird for me to see this happen but the only concern, IMHO, is the work force. Once that is solved perhaps most of us will accept that the postal service has outlived its usefulness.

There is some irony that a no layoffs clause will cause every Postal worker to lose his or her job. Good work union!

Conley
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
The one problem I have with the whole situation concerning the Post Office is that the pols are trying to get involved. This is the only program that the fed created that worked. How can they say they cannot make ends meet. It is the only Fed Program that has ever made money.

Also I thought they forced the Fed union worker to take money and put it towards some time of retirement. That they were like trying to force some pool for healthcare benefits.

Personally I do not think they should allow any messing with the Post Office. They should turn them into internet Cafe's like they have overseas. Copier Places and Faxs. Also UPS works longer hrs and run their buisness on a different time schedule due to all their overseas buisnesses. So technically the Post Office cannot compete with overseas companies.

I guess so...it seems odd UPS and FedEx can do so well for themselves but the Post Office cannot. Maybe they shouldn't have spent so much money paying for Lance Armstrong's cycling team?

Mister D
09-05-2011, 06:29 PM

There is some irony that a no layoffs clause will cause every Postal worker to lose his or her job. Good work union!

:D Indeed.

MMC
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM

I guess so...it seems odd UPS and FedEx can do so well for themselves but the Post Office cannot. Maybe they shouldn't have spent so much money paying for Lance Armstrong's cycling team?

Thats because overseas they are delivering on the ground. Both Fed Ex and UPS have overseas Air Lines. The Post office does not so I don't see how they can compete.

Conley
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Surely you can get a profit domestically as well though?

It is probably that 90% of Postal Workers are lazy and FedEx and UPS fire people. Can't remember which but one of the two has a big advantage because they are classified in such a way that they don't have to use union workers.

MMC
09-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Surely you can get a profit domestically as well though?

It is probably that 90% of Postal Workers are lazy and FedEx and UPS fire people. Can't remember which but one of the two has a big advantage because they are classified in such a way that they don't have to use union workers.

I thought Fed Ex is Union.....

Conley
09-05-2011, 07:16 PM
This is a good explanation:

UPS-FedEx Dispute Shows Labor's Control Over the White House

By George F. Will
Wednesday, July 15, 2009; 8:27 PM

How does the Obama administration love organized labor? Let us count the ways it uses power to repay unions for helping to put it in power.

It has given the United Auto Workers majority ownership of Chrysler. It has sent $135 billion of supposed stimulus money to state governments to protect unionized public-sector employees from layoffs and other sacrifices that private-sector workers are making. It has sedated the Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards, which protects workers against misbehavior by union leaders. Cap-and-trade legislation might please unions with protectionism -- tariffs on imports from countries not foolish enough to similarly burden their manufacturers. If Congress, seeking money for more socialized medicine, decides that some employer-paid health insurance should be taxed as employees' compensation -- which it obviously is -- generous union-negotiated benefits might be exempted.
ad_icon

Now it is the Teamsters' turn at the trough. Congress might change labor law to assist UPS, a Teamsters stronghold, by hindering its principal competitor, FedEx.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/15/AR2009071502498.html

MMC
09-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Would any say the US Postal Service is not needed? Or should we go with the private sector delivering mail? Should mail be delivered on Sundays? One thing is for certain anytime I tried to get into the Postal Service I never got the call.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Would any say the US Postal Service is not needed? Or should we go with the private sector delivering mail? Should mail be delivered on Sundays? One thing is for certain anytime I tried to get into the Postal Service I never got the call.

I was thinking of that when I first read this.Ultimately I think it's probably inevitable that it will be privatized with state regulations. The electronic age has curtailed the volume of mail considerably.

Conley
09-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I am trying to think...I do still get paper checks in the mail from time to time. Also grocery circulars. Pretty much everything else is junk.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I am trying to think...I do still get paper checks in the mail from time to time. Also grocery circulars. Pretty much everything else is junk.

For example, think of all the checks our parents probably mailed out on a regular basis. I mail a check very rarely now. I pay almost everything electronically.

MMC
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM

I was just thinking about that. I have a small family and people rarely send mail. Birthday Card. Otherwise other than Bills. What else. Christmastime people bring packages and their cards. Guess I would miss that once in awhile conversation about nothing. The dog barking to let me know the mailman is coming. Bout it I guess.

Conley
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM

I was just thinking about that. I have a small family and people rarely send mail. Birthday Card. Otherwise other than Bills. What else. Christmastime people bring packages and their cards. Guess I would miss that once in awhile conversation about nothing. The dog barking to let me know the mailman is coming. Bout it I guess.

Yeah, I think the little bit we use it for could be taken over by FedEx and UPS. However if the Postal Service used to make money and could at least break even and provide jobs I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think it is a case of mismanagement and bad negotiations with the unions. Of course any government enterprise is going to have a problem with both of those.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
It could be a union matter like Conley suggests but I just don't know enough about the situation. All I do know for sure is that the Internet has made a big difference in how things get done these days.

MMC
09-05-2011, 08:45 PM
It could be a union matter like Conley suggests but I just don't know enough about the situation. All I do know for sure is that the Internet has made a big difference in how things get done these days.

Soon it will all be on the TV.....plus whatever you want to order. Not to mention talking to others as a communications device.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Soon it will all be on the TV.....plus whatever you want to order. Not to mention talking to others as a communications device.

That's the thing though and it adds to Conley's point. What can be keeping the postal service from adapting? It cold very well be the need to keep all those superflous employees.

MMC
09-05-2011, 08:58 PM

That's the thing though and it adds to Conley's point. What can be keeping the postal service from adapting? It cold very well be the need to keep all those superflous employees.

Yeah thats it there.....I know some get PO Boxes. But the only reason they havent adapted is due to being a government program with no social call. No one would want to expand it. Plus aren't their truck-drivers part of the teamsters or is that still their own.

MMC
09-06-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.cagle.com/news/PostOfficeBroke/images/cagle00.jpg

MMC
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.cagle.com/news/PostOfficeBroke/images/day2.jpg

Conley
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
That makes me sad :(

The eagle could symbolize a lot more than just our Post Office :-\

MMC
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM