PDA

View Full Version : Navy Vet - Time For Gun Control

Howey
09-14-2015, 05:45 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/23/a-navy-vet-s-case-for-gun-control.html

If you feel, like the fringe gun lobby does, that my 6 year-old son's life is less important than your right to own whatever firearm and ammunition you want, then say that. Don't hide behind meaningless rhetoric or claim you're ready for action only to back off when the NRA comes knocking. That being said, if you believe—along with a clear majority of Americans of both parties—that modest regulation of weapons designed for the sole purpose of killing humans seems reasonable, that's a pretty easy public position to take.

And before you jump to assumptions, know that I'm no hippie. As a former weapons instructor in the U.S. Navy, I own guns myself—and I want to keep them. However, I believe that our society is overflowing with lethal weapons and that we must take action to prevent more dead kids. Mass shootings are on the rise. Children are dying. When will it be enough to actually do something? Who has the courage to do the right thing—money from special interest groups be damned?

ll make it easy for lawmakers. Here is the first common sense step for what we need to do, at the state level, to maintain our constitutional right to bear arms while arming ourselves with the tools to be safer in public.

Licensing, to be renewed every five years with full background checks and mental health screenings, is the first step. Adding a checkbox to a driver's license and another form would make this easy to implement. My driver's license tells folks that I am a donor; it could very easily also indicate whether or not I am a gun owner or authorized to carry concealed firearms.

Before you tell me how I am violating your rights by proposing a record of gun owners, note that the constitution does not say that you have the right to bear arms and not tell anyone. We regulate chemicals, elevators, airplanes, and financial transactions—and none of those are specifically designed to kill anyone.

The next step is requiring 40 hours of training prior to license approval. I’m here to tell you that there is little value to having a firearm if one is cannot employ it tactically. I’m not saying we need owners to be trained to the level of Navy SEALs or SWAT teams, but if you claim to want these weapons to protect your home, then you should at least have a baseline knowledge. The training hours should jump to 80 hours for a concealed carry permit. This training should be done by the government to ensure consistency and quality control and should be covered by the tax on ammunition.

And finally, to pay for the licensing process and training as well as the background and mental health screenings, we can add a modest tax to ammunition sales (think five to ten cents per round—a manageable amount). This way, the costs are spread amongst those who wish to own guns.

Chris
09-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Fortunately the right to bear arms is protected from such opinions.

Peter1469
09-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Politically, the gun-grabbers have zero.

Nothing.

Private Pickle
09-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Squid....

The Xl
09-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Good thing the gun grabbers don't have the majority. A far as Navy vets go, I'd confidently assume that the vast majority of them are pro gun.

Matty
09-14-2015, 05:58 PM
None of these proposed laws will prevent a single shooting.

Green Arrow
09-14-2015, 06:26 PM
What's your point, Howey?