PDA

View Full Version : A House Divided

Matty
09-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I thought this was an interesting article on the upcoming power play for the Speaker of the House.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/26/race-to-replace-boehner-expected-to-be-another-leadership-vs-conservative/?intcmp=hpbt2

Once Boehner officially resigns his post and leaves Congress next month, the total number of House members will be 434, including 246 Republicans. An absolute majority is required to elect a new speaker, meaning the magic number of votes that a candidate must get is 218.

Peter1469
09-26-2015, 01:34 PM
The GOP should change the rules - currently the Speaker can't bring a bill to the floor without the caucus approving it. That is silly. If you elect someone leader, let them lead.

texan
09-26-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't think it should be one mans opinion on what is brought.............Leaders do need to lead and it is by creating consensus....It isn't really leading if it is your way or the highway.

Peter1469
09-26-2015, 01:43 PM
I don't think it should be one mans opinion on what is brought.............Leaders do need to lead and it is by creating consensus....It isn't really leading if it is your way or the highway.

The current version is a cat-hearder who can't act without approval. That is not leadership. It is a glorified secretary position.

I like my version better. If the leader fails, vote him out.

Common
09-26-2015, 01:44 PM
The far right freedom caucus has 37 members, that is the original teaparty far right contingency thusly renamed by themselves. They had 38 but one left recently stating the group did not have the best interests of the country in mind. I AGREE.

A far righter will not be Speaker.

texan
09-26-2015, 01:48 PM
It doesn't really matter anymore evidently a President doesn't have to negotiate. It seems they can just word-smith something and right a rule to supersede a law. In the case of Obamacare it was just a joke at the way that got passed. So you tell me what difference does it make?

Crepitus
09-26-2015, 01:48 PM
The far right freedom caucus has 37 members, that is the original teaparty far right contingency thusly renamed by themselves. They had 38 but one left recently stating the group did not have the best interests of the country in mind. I AGREE.

A far righter will not be Speaker.That can only be good.

Peter1469
09-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Good if you want the GOP to die. As it moves left there is no reason for a GOP. We have left already. Dems.

Green Arrow
09-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Since I'm not a member of either party and have zero influence over who becomes Speaker, I'm just going to back someone for superficial reasons.

I want Kevin McCarthy to become Speaker. Nobody from Bakersfield, CA has ever risen to such heights of power and it would be a milestone.

Matty
09-26-2015, 02:26 PM
I still like that Trey Gowdy guy.

Peter1469
09-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I still like that Trey Gowdy guy.

He is an up and coming star.